Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 10-25-2006, 05:41 PM   #1
X-Rose-Of-Your-Promise-X

Emo and teenagers(in england that is)

There is a new fashion that is sweeping englands youth...it is called emo, and I fucking hate it, and wannabe goths that think they are goth because they listen to slipknot and wear black...I thought I would discuss my outrage at this, and see who else agrees with me. I think one reason there are less 'real' goth teenagers is because there are so many kids dressing in clothes brought from the high street shops that have no creativity, therefore, if teenage goths were to make their own clothes and wear outlandish things they would be maybe bullied by other teenagers. This is just what im thinking right at this moment. There are no people our age dressing goth properly for kids that can not do things for themselves to make examples of themselves. I don't know what im trying to say but bleh. I had to get this out of my system.
X-Rose-Of-Your-Promise-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 06:27 PM   #2
Godslayer Jillian

This should be on the Whining thread. Though actually, it shouldn't, as there are many threads about us ranting about emos and overall teenagers.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 06:38 PM   #3
X-Rose-Of-Your-Promise-X

I don't think it should be on the whining thread as it is more fashion orientated...
Old 10-26-2006, 03:42 AM   #4
She_Is_My_Sin

If it's a complaint, even about fashion, to the Whining Section it belongs.

Although I'm gonna be a nit picker here:

Quote:
There are no people our age dressing goth properly
There is no real proper way to dress goth (with the exception of the black clothing or unless you meant stereotypically e.g big boots, victorian shirts, corsets etc.). Yeah, there aren't many people dressing in the older styles nowdays. But that's only because the fashions have changed.

Quote:
if teenage goths were to make their own clothes and wear outlandish things they would be maybe bullied by other teenagers.
If you're thinking about the same group of teenagers I'm thinking of (chavs/scallies/pikeys/neds) a goth (& most other people for that matter) would get bullied anyways.

This whole emo thing is all rather hypocritical, the way I've seen it. Over here in England, the chavs are nasty about goths & so goths are nasty about emo. Fair enough you're not crazy about the whole emo style but I can't see why you've had to bring it upon yourself to get extremely annoyed about it. It's just a fashion. Sheesh.
She_Is_My_Sin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 04:04 PM   #5
X-Rose-Of-Your-Promise-X

Heh. I guess, Im just annoyed about the way teenagers are at the moment...and why chavs have to be so ignorant, I just had to get that out of my head because it was in there wanting to come out so i posted it on this site.
Old 10-27-2006, 06:34 AM   #6
She_Is_My_Sin

Don't worry about it. I understand the annoyance at teenagers around at the moment, y'know how we've all got a bad image at the moment & we're all supposed to be hoodie wearing thugs.
She_Is_My_Sin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 07:39 AM   #7
DarkHeartedDemoness

Out of idle curiousity, Rose, how long has it been since you were a teenager? If you said in your intro, I've forgotten.
If ruff it was of dame
Or shroud of gnome,
Himself, himself inform.
Of immortality
His strategy
Was physiognomy.

--Emily Dickinson
DarkHeartedDemoness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 09:02 AM   #8
Delicate_Torture

Personally I like Emo.

If it weren't for the emo movement, bored baby-gothlings would have nothing to bitch (in a very emo sounding way) about.
Old 10-27-2006, 03:38 PM   #9
cradle

Do these emos you speak of even know what emo means?
It means Emotive Hardcore...I think.
But if I am wrong, forgive me.
Oh and also, emo does not mean emotional, for those of you that think it does.
Now I lay me down to sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to keep. If I should die before I wake, I pray the Lord to tell everyone about that time at Ronnie's house when I smashed the beer bottle over my own head.
cradle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 04:39 PM   #10
Delicate_Torture

Old 10-27-2006, 06:46 PM   #11
anorexiclipgloss

Its not what you wear, its how you wear it.
I dont care for people in black with bum atitudes and low self esteem, but I have alot of respect for someone in an everyday outfit with a good atitude.
anorexiclipgloss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 08:56 PM   #12
chain ring

Ding-ding-ding! Lipgloss is the winner!

It's not what you wear, it's how you wear it.
chain ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 04:47 AM   #13
X-Rose-Of-Your-Promise-X

Me? I am a teenager, Im 13. Im just fed up of where I live everyone being so fake and wannabe emo/goth. Theres one kid that goes around saying, Im so emo, so I asked him why is that? He replied, because I cut myself. He's not depressed or anything or has any reason to...and he doesnt actually cut himself. Which I all found kinda offensive and makes me want to hit him. 2 of my friends have had to go to hospital from cutting. It's really scary.
Old 10-28-2006, 04:52 AM   #14
X-Rose-Of-Your-Promise-X

Oh and yeah emo means emotive hardcore, it's quite good really, real emo music. But like goth i guess kids are just sort of...not get very educated about these things. Most people I know think emo is My Chemical Romance, Panic! At The Disco and stuff like that...I have Panic! but im going to see MCR, they're pretty decent really. Im gonna go now, before i start rambling. Ive been up all night i havent slept yet, stayed at a mates house last night and had to walk back from his this morning...Ugh. there were like 10 people staying in one room i have carpet burns from lying on the carpet topless haha....Jeez I have to shut up.
Old 10-28-2006, 07:23 AM   #15
DarkHeartedDemoness

Wow, you're pretty young to be so disdainful. I'm impressed. Instead of buying into the stereotypes of your generation, you've bought into those of the older generation. You're not emo, like the kids your age, you're elitist, like those closer to mine and older.
If ruff it was of dame
Or shroud of gnome,
Himself, himself inform.
Of immortality
His strategy
Was physiognomy.

--Emily Dickinson
DarkHeartedDemoness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 01:39 PM   #16
X-Rose-Of-Your-Promise-X

Thankyou very much dearkhearted :d its nice for a babygoth to know they're kind of accepted and appreciated.
Old 10-28-2006, 02:03 PM   #17
cradle

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Rose-Of-Your-Promise-X
Oh and yeah emo means emotive hardcore

I think I may have stated that earlier...
Now I lay me down to sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to keep. If I should die before I wake, I pray the Lord to tell everyone about that time at Ronnie's house when I smashed the beer bottle over my own head.
cradle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 11:57 AM   #18
VisciaDacia

"Emo"....ah, yes. Just about everyone in my town dresses that way. It's just a trend--get over it. It's not any different than "preps" or "chavs" or anything else...it's an attitude with its own fashion to go along with it. I don't see why everyone makes it into such a big deal.

I have no problem with people who dress a certain way or like a certain kind of music. I am only bothered when they have misconceptions about these subjects--so I kindly correct them. Just relax. Besides it'll probably all be over with in a couple of years or so, like most things.
VisciaDacia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 01:17 PM   #19
PoupeeCelestia

Location: Lapiland =) quite a nice place with purple mountains and that kind of stuff...
Yes, as well as goth was considered “a new” fashion decades ago. I wonder if the gothic fashion, at its time, was as massive as the emo is now. I belive, like VisciaDacia, that is only another subculture with its music genres, clothes, style and forms of thinking.
But, as often happens, people doesn´t recognizes the point when it starts to become ridiculous (specialy people that is in this trend).
The emos are, in their majority the young weeping sons of mommy and daddy (and with money), if no, from where the hell do they find all the money to buy all that expensive clothing? But, they exist (and I say it, because I´ve been witness) emos that aren´t everything that the ridicules say they are (excepting, perhaps the side hair thing).

I´ve listened that emo is a simple copy of goth. That, in a weird way, emos respect goths. RoseOfYourPromise says that emos hate goths… that commentary of her confused me XD.
PoupeeCelestia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 01:47 PM   #20
knightmare

I agree with VD, VisciaDacia, pervs , I don't mind the preferences of an individual even emo. Emos are in a sense goth, since they also emphasize the expression of self. They just express themselves differently. They emphasize and, arguably, like to wallow in their misery. To me, the goth is a kind of stoic who uses life's challenges and sadness as inspiration in their literature and music. I am indifferent to emo since they are just a different subculture with different tastes. It is when emos identify with goths as a similar subculture that bothers me. This has led to several stereotypes of the gothic that are not essentially related to the gothic such as cutting, whining, etc.
knightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 03:57 PM   #21
Godslayer Jillian

Woah! Since when have emos emphazise individuality? XD
Seriously, there are myriads of emos over here, and I can't distinguish between one and another.
Sure, all goths use black and that doesn't look very original, but at least there are different kinds of styles and score of combinations to make.
In its stead, emos are always tight pants, tight colorful T-shirt, about five types of repetitive accessories, and one type of hair.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 02:10 AM   #22
Delkaetre

Rose, sweetie... you are so terribly lost and confused.
You say there are not true goths left in this country? You are blind, and without resource. There are many of us, if you knew how to look. Do you seek us in under 18 clubs, in places where once the skaters used to roam? Then you are lost, misplaced.
Look for us instead in coffee shops, old record shops, small cafes where normals fear to tread.
Define for me the 'proper' method of looking like a goth, would you? There is no one such thing. There are as many styles as there are goths in this world. Look for the New Romantics, now old and worn. For those in faded charcoals, greys and blacks. Seek lace and frills, seek buckles and straps. And most of all, seek understanding- there are more of us than simply those who look 'goth' at all times. Focus on your own style, music and development. Make sure that you're a proper goth, and you've looked for other 'proper' goths before you decry our lack of existence. Remember that most of us don't believe you have any true intent until you are at least 15 years of age.

and furthermore, use the 'whining' forum. Any complaints go there, even those about music and fashion and other subcultures.
The noblest sentiment I have encountered and the most passionate political statement to stir my heart both belong to a fictional character. Why do we have no politicians as pure in their intent and determinedly joyous in their outlook as Arkady Bogdanov of Red Mars?
Delkaetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 09:17 AM   #23
Morrigan_Dubh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delicate_Torture

If it weren't for the emo movement, bored baby-gothlings would have nothing to bitch (in a very emo sounding way) about.

Quoted for TRUTH!
Old 11-05-2006, 03:34 AM   #24
kitten

wow...emo is terrible. I get called emo, lol. it aint fair.... ...no wait....here it is...first (the end of 9th grade) I got called a poser.....lol...then, 10th grade, I get called a poser/emo.....and WAIT!! it gets better..now I am emo/scenester.....i dont even think I can spell it, lol. I hate the little fake goth children in my school too. They think because I cant afford cds and black clothes all of the time, that i *must* be scenester or emo. I think thats stupid. I am poor as hell, and I get music...*shifty eyes*...dont ask where. They think goth is all Cradle and children of bodem. Great bands, really! but seriusly.....they havent even heard of stuff like the bauhaus and the sisters of mercy.

they need to get educated. PLUS.....lol...they arnt into the art, the literature, ANYTHING else.........makes me sad, because they are *really* missing out.
Old 11-05-2006, 03:36 AM   #25
kitten

oh yes...i forgot to add.....

I am pparently not goth because I dont wear bondage pants.

thats the funniest shit iv heard. OH YES.....i also am not goth because I listen to classical music...and the LOTRs soundtract......so yes...deffinately not goth........