Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 09-22-2005, 02:23 PM   #26
eric_the_girl

spooky gurl i wish i was you... if i had 50 quid to spend a day i'd wear a different outfit (as in 1 new outfit) each day and never use the same corset twice...
eric_the_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 03:33 PM   #27
Star of Blight

50 bucks a day? I know people who can't pull that after working an 8 hour day, net profit.

Die painfully you yuppie spawned suburbian hellbeast!
Star of Blight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 04:18 PM   #28
Kettu

Well, I shop there. For the simple fact that I have no idea how to make my own. Being goth really depends on the person. For some its about being diffrent. For me, its about embracing the darker aspects of life. But hey thats just me. If someone wants to look stupid and wear something that everyone else has, then I wont stop them. To each his/her/it's own.
Kettu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 04:21 PM   #29
NoneSuch

Lol Hotopic sells some decent things though indeed it is limited, I wouldnt call it looking stupid
NoneSuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 04:39 PM   #30
Black Gestalt

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoneSuch
Lol Hotopic sells some decent things though indeed it is limited, I wouldnt call it looking stupid
No, it just looks hot topicy.
Black Gestalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 04:50 PM   #31
(-$|N-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Gestalt
No, it just looks hot topicy.
The only thing that I like in the store really are some of their pants, but still I would rather just head out and buy a pair of jeans that are just as baggy and add the stuff I want for cheaper and the clothing would be alot more durable.
(-$|N-) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 07:18 PM   #32
AlKilyu

It's been awhile but I thought I'd bring out Loy's favorite...

AlKilyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 07:56 PM   #33
angleangel_doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disfunction
Similar thread has been done. It's a controversial topic that will end up making a lot of people bicker needlessly over such a trivial concept. If they can't be bothered to make their own clothes, and design their own tshirts, let them wander to Hot Topic.
Yay for making your own clothes! So long as you know how to do it however...
angleangel_doom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2005, 06:33 PM   #34
dreamydancer

It's easy to tell who's a freshman this year. Just look at the kids decked out in Hot Topicy looking crap. It's so cute, they think wearing overpriced crap that falls apart in a week and lame Slipknot shirts make them rebellious and different. *sigh* What silly children these days.

Not that it bothers me, but people are dumb enough to ask, "So shop at Hot Topic?" Sometimes I wish people would remember to think before speaking and have manners. Honestly, my wardrobe looks nothing like that tasteless crap. I remember a few years ago when some of it was decent. Now it's rare that you find something that looks okay.

I shop at different places: garage sales, thrift stores, retail stores like Ross and Marshall's. You can actually find plenty of nice blouses and long skirts that don't look obviously trendy, (usually if you look in the Misses section.) And no they don't make you look like an older woman if you know what to get. I also try new age stores, don't forget the Ren Fairs, department stores, online shopping, and there are some shops like Erotic Cabaret in Houston that sell pretty clothes such as Jeannie Nitro. Sometimes I alter or make clothing.

With all of those options you don't need Hot Topic. Well, that was a lot of words to basically say the same recycled crap.

~Clan of Xymox
dreamydancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2005, 10:03 PM   #35
NoneSuch

Okay (= I admit they sell alot of crap and the leather coats... dear god they look bad on that site but still I'll always love my resident evil tshirt I got from em
NoneSuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 12:02 AM   #36
Black Gestalt

The thing about band shirts is that I would probably never go out and buy one (not that hot topic sells the shirts of any band I like, but).

I make my own, or I buy them from the show, or from the bands website. Making my own, is of course, the best.

Lets all say, yey for making your own stuff.
Old 09-26-2005, 11:11 PM   #37
wikked

My step sister's daughter decided a couple of years ago that she wasn't ghetto, she was goth. It's a very strange thing to watch a girl try to go from one to the other.

It was with her that I actually first went into a Hot Topic. She was going on and on about these clothes and how she needed to get a job so she could buy them. I admit, I saw one or two things that I'd wear... but nothing at all that I'd be willing to buy.

I told her she could pay me the amount she was going to spend on a pair of pants, and I'd make her a couple of outfits. She looked so skeptical until I showed her my club gear... that had only cost me maybe 7 dollars an outfit, thanks to the thrift store and my sewing box.

By the way... 50 dollars a day!!! Spooky Gurl, are your parents by any chance, looking to adopt a 27 year old daughter? I'll even do chores...
wikked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 12:01 AM   #38
AlKilyu

Does anyone here have a copy on their harddrive of Loy taking a flamethrower to Hot Topic? I myself have nothing wrong with the place, I just remembered that and cannot find it on mine...
Old 09-27-2005, 12:47 AM   #39
Empty_Purple_Stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlKilyu
Does anyone here have a copy on their harddrive of Loy taking a flamethrower to Hot Topic? I myself have nothing wrong with the place, I just remembered that and cannot find it on mine...
I still have it..

I thought bout that when I saw this thread pop up.. I'll sift thru my 8 bajillion pics tommorrow and locate it for you..
Empty_Purple_Stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 04:22 PM   #40
winged_dreams

Oh! I wanna see that. I'm not sure if I ever did so I want to see it too.

MrMaelstrom: Er... are you lactating?

Elite "No Clue What the Number Is"
winged_dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 08:42 PM   #41
Black Gestalt

I just realized 50 bucks a day is more than most people our age make at their jobs.

I can't get over it.
Old 09-27-2005, 09:05 PM   #42
Bodnoirbabe

OKay...i HAD to say this.

WHERE: A question word. As in WHERE is the bathroom?
WARE: Something that you sell. like She sells clayWARE
WEAR: To have something on your person in a manner of dress. Such as I like to WEAR clothes from Hot Topic.

Thank you.

ANyhow, as far as your question. yeah, a lot of the stereotypical gothic things are sold at hot topic, and it's okay to buy from there. Does it make you goth? no. clothing makes NO ONE goth. Not even Goth People. Goth is a frame of mind.

Dammit, where is Gypsy and his link to that one essay?

Anyhow, realize that they are owned by The Gap and there shit is so cheaply made and overpriced, that only the trendy popular kids can really shop there.

Also, let us not forget that the store is titled Hot Topic. As in, it sells the Hot Topic items to the mainstream. EMO and Skater are Hot Topics at the moment. It's not that hard to understand. It's corporeate. Come on, now.
Bodnoirbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 09:45 PM   #43
Demonista_Ravenesque

We don't have Hot Topic in Australia....The Australian version of it is called Dangerfield.

Basically, Hot Topic/Dangerfield are just clothing shops that say "Subcultures are nothing more than a fashion statement, be part of a subculture by buying one of our fabulously ugly overpriced items, that were made in a sweatshop"

Ok, I'm over reacting, but shopping (frequently) in Hot Topic/ Dangerfield and calling others consumer whores and corporate trash is just hypocritical. That's just my opinion. It's rather pointless to do your gothic shopping there because one main part of being Goth is being someone spurned from society...and is unique. You aren't exactly going to be 'unique' if you bought yourself a set of pre made 'dark' clothing are you? And besides, you can find heaps of yummy cool stuff, in Ebay for like, a tenth of the price of a studded cuff in Hot Topic/Dangerfield. Plus, it's cheap, so you won't feel like you're wasting your money when it comes to modifying them. Like, once, my mother bought me a belt from Dangerfield, and I decided to shred it up and take only the spikes on it and put the spikes on my boots, but I felt really guilty after I found out the belt cost her $70 AU. So now I just raid anywhere, being thrift stores, my mom's wardrobe, new age shops, a cheap fetish store, wherever I can get cheap clothes and modify it without that feeling of wasting expensive stuff.

If I said something that you want to argue about (or flame for that matter) Go ahead, everybody's entitled to their own opinion

And I'm off *turns into a pie and eats self until existence is erased*

Hier sind doch irgendwo kinder versteckt
Demonista_Ravenesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 10:00 PM   #44
Hidden Rage

Seeing as how I am totally new to the goth scene, I haven't found my "look" yet, however I can say that there have been a few things there that I like. But the reality is that you can find very similar style clothing other places for much less money. I buy a couple shirts from there sometimes, that's it. HT can stick their tag on anything and it automatically goes up in price.
Hidden Rage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 10:05 PM   #45
Demonista_Ravenesque

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hidden Rage
Seeing as how I am totally new to the goth scene, I haven't found my "look" yet, however I can say that there have been a few things there that I like. But the reality is that you can find very similar style clothing other places for much less money. I buy a couple shirts from there sometimes, that's it. HT can stick their tag on anything and it automatically goes up in price.

Welcome to the goth scene...never ever confuse it with the Black Metal Scene.

Old 09-27-2005, 10:17 PM   #46
Hidden Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demonista_Ravenesque
Welcome to the goth scene...never ever confuse it with the Black Metal Scene.
O, I know. I've been doing alot of research.
Hidden Rage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 08:23 AM   #47
AmethystLea

Around Geelong, in Australia there is hardly any good clothing stores it's all surfy and girly girly crap, which my mother buys me hoping I'll stop wearing dark colours and band shirts, my neice Ashlee is pretty cool she makes most of her own clothes which I mostly pinch since I cannot use a sewing machine. It's even hard to find a good black nail polish here and I'm to lazy to drive an hour to get to Melbourne plus it's always to fast paced there and to many people. I would love to shop online but being a single parent without a job I can't get a credit card and my dad has banned me from his after I spent $900 on booze for my 21st birthday. good night for me since my boyfriends brother took photo's of me chucking on myself in my parents stables. but if anyone does know any good stores in melbourne please let me know I might just make a special trip.
AmethystLea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 04:57 PM   #48
Lynx

I shop at Hot Topic for they sometimes have some decent shirts. Though, I often get clothes at Ross, thrift stores, going through my old clothes for something I could fix, and Walmart. We also have a local store, Bizarre.
Lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 08:05 PM   #49
AlKilyu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empty_Purple_Stars
I still have it..

I thought bout that when I saw this thread pop up.. I'll sift thru my 8 bajillion pics tommorrow and locate it for you..

Found it!

Old 09-29-2005, 09:19 PM   #50
Demonista_Ravenesque

^^^^^^

Wow....why can't that happen in reality?