Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 11-22-2005, 06:36 AM   #101
psychopixi

liek OMG hot topic eek!!11oneone

/sarcasm

What's the big deal over shopping in Hot Topic? We don't have Hot Topic shops over here (AFAIK) but we do have stores like the Blue Banana. Okay, so lots of mini-metallers will shop there, but does that really matter if the store sells something you like?

I think the problem most people have with Hot Topic is that shopping there somehow makes you a wannabe because all the main stream kiddies shop there to look "different" and to give their parents a heart attack, or that you've sold out somehow because *gasp* you didn't make your own clothing.

To hell with that! I can't sew, and trust me I've tried. The most I can manage is to repair a split seam, or put the hem back up on my trousers.

At the end of the day, who cares if the little mini-metallers are wandering around in the corset that you love so much? It doesn't make the corset itself any uglier, and it doesn't make you a wannabe if you go in and buy one yourself - provided you're buying it because you like it and not because looking "gothic" is cool now.
psychopixi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 05:37 PM   #102
winged_dreams

Yeah, that's certainly very respectable.

MrMaelstrom: Er... are you lactating?

Elite "No Clue What the Number Is"
winged_dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 08:33 PM   #103
Jane13

Yeah... I noticed on the shirts I have that they were made in the US and Canada. I thought that was pretty cool.
"There's straw in his brains and his clothing is stained with mice and small newts and the perfectly maimed. Don't look under his hood in the place where he stood or you'll find yourself running from the rook in the wood."
-Cinema Strange
Jane13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 10:24 AM   #104
slipshodsally

I'm not totally against Hot Topic. It's a nice place to get T-shirts or what not. But I prefer to dig around at other places for most of my clothes, mainly because the store caters to a younger crowd than I belong to and The clothing is not very original.
slipshodsally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 12:07 PM   #105
Metatron

The only thing Hot Topic is good for is the pins...but even those you see more and more often.
Metatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 12:56 PM   #106
Metatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by unconscious_insanity
Actually, Xnguela, no, Torrid made Hot Topic, I used to work there, I know this. How am I not grown up? I'm saying that it's not the stores fault that preppies and fakers come in a shop;yeah they sell the most popular shit, what the customers want. But they cant discriminate because "hey, you are a preppy, you arent goth enough to shop here"....that's what I meant. And it's not even a goth or punk store, it's a MUSIC store, "All About The Music" that's their slogan. And how many types of music are there? There ya go.
Haha, I'm surprised you fessed up to working there. Please walk to the nearest pistol, and blow your head off. Xngeula obviously knows what she's talking about.
Old 12-02-2005, 02:01 PM   #107
~Nix Nightingale~

It's not "All about the music"... its "Everything about the music." I'm sorry but I think you're lying about working there even. Hot Topic started Torrid. Not the other way around. Hot Topic and Torrid cater to believe it or not *GASP* whatever is the "HOT TOPIC" at the time. So if it's goth, yay for us, somewhere to shop... If it's emo sweaters and scene jewelry, then they are just sticking to the name of the store...
I broke myself, shattered, tied a bow around every piece, you'll love the eyes. Have they always shown so vacantly? The more I show the less you'll want to know. I can't stop the insects that are feeding, pull the needles from beneath my skin.... ~ A Fire Inside ~
~Nix Nightingale~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 07:52 PM   #108
Metatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by unconscious_insanity
Ok, whatever, you think what you wanna think, and I will know what I know. And why is it bad to work there-which I did, and how would you know and who are you to say shit like that? Fuck you buddy. How about I blow YOUR...nevermind. Hot Topic was an awesome place to work, I got 40% discounts on everything, well 20% on CD's. They send you to concerts for free. They pay shitty, but the experience was great. "All" , "Everything"..same thing. I always get that mixed up-typo...-GASP- oh no, now everyone will make fun of me because I used a wrong word...oh no. And, yes, I agree Xnguela does know what she's talking about....so do I-I have personal experience with the store. Not just shopper experience.
No, fuck you and your lack of common sense to do a bit of research before you naively spew your vommit of the mouth. I'm sorry, but I don't need a 20% discount on bad metal, hats that read 'I'm so goth it hurts', and shirts that scream 'I try so hard to be different!" Quite frankly, I don't give a shit if you've worked there or not, so take your resume and go pound sand.
Old 12-02-2005, 08:41 PM   #109
Manimal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metatron
No, fuck you and your lack of common sense to do a bit of research before you naively spew your vommit of the mouth. I'm sorry, but I don't need a 20% discount on bad metal, hats that read 'I'm so goth it hurts', and shirts that scream 'I try so hard to be different!" Quite frankly, I don't give a shit if you've worked there or not, so take your resume and go pound sand.
Such anger!

It's kinda cute - angry little metatron... *pat pat*
Manimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 08:55 PM   #110
Dizzy_Goth_girl

Hi I'm new here what does ppl talk about other than Hot Topic! Its ok but I prefer making my own clothes! Its harder but you get more of yourself in to the look than just looking goth and all. I hate it when ppl just call us goth's we are just like them kinda......we just look, think, act, and dress different that's all I think personaly we are our own person. Don't you?
Dizzy_Goth_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 09:03 PM   #111
Demonista_Ravenesque

Dizzy, check the other topics and introduce yourself.

Please don't use abbreviations.

Do as I say, I'm Andrew Eldritch.

Please Read For the Newbies.

Metatron, I'm beginning to like you

Hier sind doch irgendwo kinder versteckt
Demonista_Ravenesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 11:14 PM   #112
Demonista_Ravenesque

And another thing.

Hot Topic Sucks. The third time I've said it in this thread, but I'll say it again.

Hot Topic Sucks.

Hier sind doch irgendwo kinder versteckt
Demonista_Ravenesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 05:59 AM   #113
Tall One In Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy_Goth_girl
Hi I'm new here what does ppl talk about other than Hot Topic!
Well, gee, in the thread called "Hot Topic" we talk about Hot Topic.

But you might notice that there are a thousand other threads on the board, each of them with its own title/subject. We're cool like that.
Old 12-03-2005, 08:10 AM   #114
·Kaôh·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xnguela
Also, the store could easily find ways to advertise and market themselves so that certain people would not shop there. However, bottom line, they want to make money. So they don't care who shops there.
I agree with Xnguela. I really do. They just want to make money, so why should they care about the target costumers? I bought there sometimes, yeah, I won't deny it (but then again, I live quite far form the U.S. so I went to check what did they have there), but I bought the little things (like pens, and some things for books) and one bag.

But the clothes I buy (because like many others here, my sewing isn't good) I buy them in some kind of markets, here where I live. Those are hand-made clothes, very cheap, and long-lasting. And you can get really great designs.
And they do not pretend to BE alternative and make stores in malls, because those guys make their clothes beacuse they want to, not to make money (I mean, te prices are very cheap), that's why they have a little tent at a "flea market".

So, Hot Topic is OK while it keeps selling non-clothing stuff, beacuse people just skip that part of the store.
·Kaôh· is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 08:33 AM   #115
diablos666

umm hottopic got emo so i really dont shop there anymore.
ha, skinny tight pants look pretty funny.
diablos666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 10:06 AM   #116
Soul_Immortal

This is more of a Rant, but eh, its still on Topic. (No pun)

I really hate it when these pre-teens think a pair of fishnet armwarmers, clunky combat boots and black lipstick make them goth. Especially when they hang out in groups outside of the mall and glare at anyone that happens to walk into Hot Topic.

**Rest of post moved to Rant Corner...hey..I was on a roll**
Old 12-03-2005, 11:46 AM   #117
Metatron

Haha, I see that all the time...but I'm not complaining because, hey, it's free entertainment.
Old 12-03-2005, 02:18 PM   #118
WolfMoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane13
Yeah... I noticed on the shirts I have that they were made in the US and Canada. I thought that was pretty cool.
It might please you to know that Dis is probably sewing the shirts you buy from HT at his poor-paying after school job. So buy enough to get him through ......uh....Canadian school. Poor guy.

WolfMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 04:02 PM   #119
Circle V

I just got back from following my brother and his friends around the mall. I went to Hot Topic. I bought something there-- a Lip Service shirt. Black, long-sleeve, button-down, with yellow stitching. I gave it to my brother, though, as a sort of early Christmas present. I'll probably end up wearing it anyway.

The clearance items in Hot Topic are usually ok, the reasons being:
1) They're probably on clearance because no one liked them, making them more unique and quite possibly nicer.
2) They've probably been discontinued, again making them more unique. For the reasoning behind this, see 1.
3) They're cheaper.

On a related note, I got a set of H R Giger prints from him.
Old 12-03-2005, 06:48 PM   #120
Jane13

How can they say they're a "music" store? They have like 10, 15 bands tops!! Let's not narrow it down to how many of them are actualy good... there's enough against the poor little alternateenyboppers in this thread. Soul, I love your rant. You did it so eloquently.
"There's straw in his brains and his clothing is stained with mice and small newts and the perfectly maimed. Don't look under his hood in the place where he stood or you'll find yourself running from the rook in the wood."
-Cinema Strange
Jane13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 08:09 PM   #121
xXambivalenceXx

First off, Hot Topic is not a mainly gothic store. It's a more... "punk" and "alternative" shop for the trendy mainstreamers. They have some good stuff, and they have some bad, but so does every store out there. I buy make up, shoes, and other little things from there, and I think the fact that so many "Goths" trash the store and call it's customers poseurs is fucking idiotic. If someone likes those clothes, wears them, and enjoys the way they look, who the fuck are you to criticise? You don't like others trashing your style or where you bought it or how you made it. Granted, it may not bother you, but you still don't appreciate it.

I had a guy at school tell me all 'real' Goths hated me because I bought my shoes from Hot Topic, and Hot Topic was a poseur store, and that is the reason I stand up for HT at all. I don't particularly care for the store, no, but I'm not going to trash it. I went in there today to look for perfume, make-up, and jewelry. I did, though, get fed up of hearing the group of 9-12 year olds running around, and I left. That, I think, is why Hot Topic is suddenly so hated. It's becoming more popular. If it were still a small little unnoticed shop in the corner of a mall, alot of people would still love it. Which shows how affected people are BY trends. Just because you don't stay "in" and wear what's trendy doesn't mean you don't follow a trend. Going out of your way to stay "out" and wear what's NOT trendy is following it, too.

I got off topic.
Old 12-04-2005, 07:36 PM   #122
Circle V

Hot Topic is an ok place to go, but only if there is absolutely no alternative. That's why I go there occasionally-- it's still better than Abercrombie and Fitch, people.
Old 12-05-2005, 06:49 AM   #123
Soul_Immortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane13
How can they say they're a "music" store? They have like 10, 15 bands tops!! Let's not narrow it down to how many of them are actualy good... there's enough against the poor little alternateenyboppers in this thread. Soul, I love your rant. You did it so eloquently.

<3.........................
Old 12-05-2005, 07:09 AM   #124
LightPollution07

ahh, hot topic is evil

*gets frustrated and explodes*

its an easy way for stupid wanna-be goths to look sincere
LightPollution07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 09:50 AM   #125
ningakitty

Only reason

The only reason I go to hot topic is 'cuz I can't get anything black from anywhere else. My parents refuse to accept the fact of me being gothic, but they at least let me go to hot topic. I can't help it... I feel.. so protected in black.
ningakitty is offline   Reply With Quote