Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 10-03-2005, 06:14 PM   #1
GodEatGod

Help: Make-Up Styles

I'm new to the world of Goths, and not fully sure where to start.
So far I have picked up some black baggy-like pants, black boots (not rubber picies of junk, but kinda like hikers), a black t-shirt with German and Stair Way To Hell writen on it, some chains, spike braclets, not sure if I'm going to get a collar or not, and I'm looking for a nice kind of baggy black shirt that i can throw over my t-shirt.
But as For the make-up styles, I'm not really sure what I want. So far I'm think I know what I want to have but I'm not really sure what so other good styles are.
Any tips would be wounderful.
GodEatGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 06:54 PM   #2
Black Gestalt

I've always liked Die of dir en grey's makeup. It's simple but pretty sweet. Sorry for the big picture.

Black Gestalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 01:32 PM   #3
Wraithlady

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodEatGod
But as For the make-up styles, I'm not really sure what I want. So far I'm think I know what I want to have but I'm not really sure what so other good styles are.
If you're just starting out, | would suggest the 'less is more' approach - my mate looks really good in just mascara and pencil eyeliner smudged just under the lower eyelid. And use a good exfoliant and moisturisers, but don't bother with foundation unless you have really bad skin tone or you're going to a club.
Wraithlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 02:34 PM   #4
Kettu

my dear god...didnt we just have a message just like this?

You should :

Be yourself. Not ask the board who you should be.

go out and look for things that catch your eye.

You know, you dont have to use make up.

No offence, but please jut try to be yourself. Not the "sterotype goth"
Kettu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 09:52 AM   #5
soggypicklemuncher

Japanese guys always look good in glam/extreme facial makeup. Well I'm sure there are exceptions, but generally male J-rock and J-pop stars look damn sexy in makeup and wigs.

You only see what you want to believe
When you creep from the back
I got tricks up my sleeve
24/7 the devil's best friend
It makes no difference
It's all the same in the end

-"Same in the End" by Sublime
soggypicklemuncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 02:05 PM   #6
Demonista_Ravenesque

Don't ever copy Brandon Lee's makeup in The Crow....

I just really needed to say that.

Hier sind doch irgendwo kinder versteckt
Demonista_Ravenesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 08:10 PM   #7
Shemjazza

Hear Hear. the vertical lines are ONLY good in a kind of harlequin look. the whole 'I wanna look like the crooooow!' thing makes me want to projectile vomit.
Shemjazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 01:29 PM   #8
subdermalglow

Yeah, but a little humility doesn't hurt - an I-don't-know-what-I'm-doing-but-y'all-might-any-tips? sort of sally.
subdermalglow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 11:34 PM   #9
rockandrose

I find some guys who wear make-up to be quite sexy, e.g. MICHAEL MONROE

Old 10-19-2005, 08:40 AM   #10
Tall One In Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodEatGod
I'm new to the world of Goths, and not fully sure where to start.
So far I have picked up some black baggy-like pants, black boots (not rubber picies of junk, but kinda like hikers), a black t-shirt with German and Stair Way To Hell writen on it, some chains, spike braclets, not sure if I'm going to get a collar or not, and I'm looking for a nice kind of baggy black shirt that i can throw over my t-shirt.
Sounds like you've built one outfit as if it's a Halloween costume. In other words, you're trying too hard. Just wear what you like. If you want to start incorporating more black into your wardrobe, that's cool. But don't feel like you have to wear your Sooper Special 100% Black Goth Costume to enter the world of goths.

I don't know how old you are or what you look like, but here are my $.02 on the topic of male makeup:
If you're a teenage boy with bad acne, don't wear makeup. You'll invariably make your skin look worse. Emphasize your hair instead.
Trim your fingernails nicely and paint them black or blood red. I like dark nail polish on guys.
If you have a young or "pretty" face, you might look good with black eyeliner and/or eyeshadow (see Dir En Grey photos for examples). You might also look good with blood red or other dark lipstick.
If you have a more "gruff" or "tough guy" face (not sure how to describe that, but maybe you know what I mean), you should probably avoid any color on your face. Black eyeliner might work, but bright eyeshadow is probably a bad idea.
Old 10-19-2005, 03:58 PM   #11
polished_wolf_claws

I *as a "Gruff" Goth Guy* have found that yes: bright eyeshadow and stuff makes you look like John wayne gacey ^^

... but I suggest looking at Chaos Comics *Specifically CHastity comics* for some male make up *Though you'll have to do some searching in the backgrounds* also look around in Old Egyptian paintings, I tell ya, Anibus and Osiris knew how to do it.*THough You SHOULDN'T use the gold color they do, use black*
polished_wolf_claws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 07:04 PM   #12
Angelic_Demon333

Cool

Alright, I have to say I agree with everyone who said, "just be yourself". A word of advice: IT WORKS!! Please don't be another one of those people who runs around looking like they fell out of the bin in a party store that's left over from Halloween. It's extremly distasteful...

With that being said, I think everyone has pretty much covered the make up tips, if you have to wear any at all, less is more. Eyeliner works wonders. As for something to put over a shirt, I personally love black button up shirts. I think more people should wear them. I think they look very attractive. That's only my opinion, however, wear what you like. The way you dress should not be based on others opinions, these are mearly suggestions.
Angelic_Demon333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 06:56 PM   #13
GodEatGod

Cool

thank you all for the help. Its good advice.
GodEatGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 03:37 PM   #14
emeraldlonewoulf

First, welcome to the scene. Second, I cannot emphasize enough the whole"be yourself" thing. Pick the clothes you love most from your wardrobe and try to find things that will go with what you like while incorporating your new style. Just make sure it is yours. Something different from what you see other guys goths wearing is a good thing. creative. think creative!
emeraldlonewoulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 10:04 AM   #15
katsumy

i think that make up for guys should be all the way black... in other color u can look kinda funny... (use Ebel Liner) is great non-alergic and stays on and on and on ... i had it on for like 16 hours (party!)
katsumy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 09:08 PM   #16
joyslayer

Eyeliner, EYELINER, i cant stress it enough. There is absolutely nothing SeXiEr than a nice looking guy wearing eyeliner. Wait, eyeliner and collars, there we go. Thats an unbeatable combination.

Hear no evil
Speak no evil
See no evil
joyslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 05:00 AM   #17
talon

On a guy what do you think would be better though. eyeliner or eyeshadow?
talon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 02:35 PM   #18
joyslayer

Eyeliner, no question about it.

Hear no evil
Speak no evil
See no evil
Old 11-30-2005, 07:53 PM   #19
joyslayer

*cracks up*

Hear no evil
Speak no evil
See no evil
Old 12-01-2005, 01:42 PM   #20
Auriane

I'm with the whole "you should do what you like" thing, so I won't say anything, but I do have one general tip.

If you see a picture of someone with make-up you like, you could try to copy it. When you're proficient enough, you might like to give a personal twist, or try mixing different things.
And thusly you can create your own style, based on things you like.
Auriane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 02:52 PM   #21
joyslayer

Yeah, another way is to just be creative. It almost always turns out cool ,and its alot of fun.

Hear no evil
Speak no evil
See no evil
Old 12-18-2005, 01:28 AM   #22
DeinGott

Cant Stress It Enough!

The major and only important thing is to be yourself. You are who you are and if you only mask it its not appealing at all. The major thing though is to start off small. Dont go around with a white pale face and tons of makeup on. It makes you look like you are trying too hard, in which it seem like you are. You will develop your own style and will grow to learn what you like and how to accomplish it. My makeup and clothing is not only what I like, but it is who i am. It took a long time, years, to develop my look, but it got there and it will with you as well. Just dont try too hard.

Here is a picture of my makeup. When it comes to clothing im not the usual goth. I hate the baggy pants with chains all over the place, its to stereotypical. I usually wear just a pair of black dickies, sometimes even jeans, with a black dress shirt. Sometimes i feel like going all out with my black shorts and knee high boots and fishnet, but once again, its because that is how I am feeling that day.

DeinGott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 06:12 AM   #23
horrorgirl

Just be yourself and don't try to impress people with how you dress. When I see kids walking around with all of the spikes and baggy pants I usually just shake my head because they are wearing nothing but a uniform.

I'm gothtastically delicious!
horrorgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 09:19 AM   #24
joyslayer

I agree. Although sometimes bondage clothes can be fun, 'tis all about being what you are, not what the stereotype says.

Hear no evil
Speak no evil
See no evil
Old 12-18-2005, 10:21 AM   #25
Manimal

You don't need makeup. Round these parts we beat up them boys what where makeup. And fat kids. I loves me some beatin up on fat kids.
Manimal is offline   Reply With Quote