Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 10-31-2005, 09:27 PM   #126
Ktatey

i need some help with ideas fo my hair, i have exhasted all of mine. at the moment its just past my ears and i have a nasty curl that doesnt like to leave me alone...any ideas??

Last edited by Ktatey; 10-31-2005 at 09:27 PM. Reason: sp
Ktatey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 11:00 AM   #127
NyQuil of Doom

I've recently changed the colour and style of mine... yes there's a pic of it in the pictures thread, but that was after not washing it for a while (hey, it was part of the look) so I should get a better one.

I've got it to just above my shoulders in layers, currently I've dried it so the ends flip out around the bottom, and I've dyed it what Clairol calls "burgundy-black', basically it's kind of a deep aubergine colour, and when I'm in the sun it has a somewhat purple-ish sheen to it.

I'm not asking for advice with it, I just wanted to share.

Ktatey: My idea for you would be to get a decent flat-iron so you can get the curl out, then get yourself some gel with a really good hold and make some funky spikes.

Fallenfromgrace: Maybe you could get it relaxed. I know there are kits you can get in the drugstore but you might want to get it done professionally... ask a pro stylist who might be able to give you a bit of advice.
Old 11-01-2005, 02:33 PM   #128
Una

I just recently dyed my hair a violet red color. It was good for the first week then it started to fade. The hairdresser said it was premanent and it would fade in 6 weeks I believe. Now I don't know what to do, I was thinking of letting it fade then dying it a better color. The only thing is I don't want to bleach my hair. Is there any hair dyes out there that you don't have to bleach your hair to get a bright color?
Una is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 06:05 PM   #129
NyQuil of Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Una
I just recently dyed my hair a violet red color. It was good for the first week then it started to fade. The hairdresser said it was premanent and it would fade in 6 weeks I believe. Now I don't know what to do, I was thinking of letting it fade then dying it a better color. The only thing is I don't want to bleach my hair. Is there any hair dyes out there that you don't have to bleach your hair to get a bright color?
Well if you want to get a permanent dye (like Clairol or something) you can get all sorts of nice intense reds and burgundies and you don't need to bleach before them... I think Garnier makes one that is nearly stoplight red that works on dark hair.

If you want a wash-out dye, opt for a burgundy, purple, or navy... something dark like that. The navy might look kinda shitty when it starts to wash out so I'd suggest the burgundy or purple.
Old 11-01-2005, 07:00 PM   #130
Circle V

My hair's a darkish blonde and I've never dyed it. I've gone through periods where I've styled it differently every day, mostly due to indecision. Right now it's barely long enough for me to stretch it down to my eyebrows. I generally part it and semi-spike it. I tried spiking it completely-- I ended up looking like a Slim Jim or that guy from Static-X. It's at a pretty awkward length for styling right now-- too long to keep it rigid easily and too short to do anything crazy with.

Any ideas?
Circle V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 06:11 PM   #131
Ktatey

just incase anyone was waiting on the edge of thier seats to find out what i decided, ill tell you. im getting extentions put in, mostly skinny dreads but some twists. so there you go.
Ktatey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 05:24 AM   #132
Rosie

Does anyone cut their own hair? I'm really scared to go to a hairdressers, they might cut too much of. At least if I mess up my hair it won't be too short and it'll grow back quicker.
Rosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 10:38 AM   #133
NyQuil of Doom

Never officially cut my own hair, but I used to trim my own bangs when I had them. I can't really cut it the way I like because I get razored layers put in and I don't have the right kind of razor.

At least the stylist I go to is really nice, listens to exactly what I want, and doesn't charge too much.

I do colour my hair myself, and it hasn't fallen out yet so I figure I'm OK with that so far. And if it does fall out, I've got some lovely wigs I can wear in the meantime.
Old 11-05-2005, 09:37 AM   #134
Una

Talking

Thanks NyQuil of Doom! I love burgundy's and reds. It will match my room
Old 11-05-2005, 05:40 PM   #135
Demonista_Ravenesque

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xnguela
I'm pissed.

Pun....Intended?

Hier sind doch irgendwo kinder versteckt
Demonista_Ravenesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 06:27 PM   #136
Rosie

I really want to cut my hair still but I'm worried if I go to a hairdressers it'll be too short I don't want to have boyish hair...
Old 11-05-2005, 06:27 PM   #137
Demonista_Ravenesque

Xng's so sexy when she's angry

Hier sind doch irgendwo kinder versteckt
Demonista_Ravenesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 06:16 PM   #138
Circle V

I've decided to make my hair either white or silver/grey, mainly since I've yet to see Goths-- or anyone, really-- with that color hair (except for Marilyn Manson's band and old people, but they don't count.)

I intend to bleach my hair first and follow with a toner (I think that's what it is-- negates the yellowing caused by bleaching.) If it looks stupid, I'll dye it silver. If it still looks stupid, I'm fucked-- or maybe I'll just dye it black.

Is there anything wrong with my plan? My hair is darkish blond at the moment, for reference.
Old 11-07-2005, 01:55 PM   #139
Una

My mom has her own hair cutting kit, she bought it at CVS. When My sister or I need a trim she does it. If we need a whole new look she brings us to the hairdresser.
My color tone is fair but has an olive tone to it to answer your question, Xnguela.
Old 11-07-2005, 03:55 PM   #140
KingBong

hmmmm dont suppose ur under going chemo therapy? coz that would explain alot
KingBong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 05:39 PM   #141
Tall One In Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circle V
I've decided to make my hair either white or silver/grey, mainly since I've yet to see Goths-- or anyone, really-- with that color hair (except for Marilyn Manson's band and old people, but they don't count.)

I intend to bleach my hair first and follow with a toner (I think that's what it is-- negates the yellowing caused by bleaching.) If it looks stupid, I'll dye it silver. If it still looks stupid, I'm fucked-- or maybe I'll just dye it black.

Is there anything wrong with my plan? My hair is darkish blond at the moment, for reference.
True silver is hard to achieve. It requires a glossiness which bleaching generally removes.

You should be able to achieve nearly white hair if you have virgin dark blond hair. Beauty supply shops carry "silver" toners which will get you to a silver-ish gray.

I bleached my mom's hair (used 40 volume, but she has strong hair) to an extremely pale yellow/white, then added a purple toner to get a nice almost-white pale gray.

Good luck.
Old 11-07-2005, 06:07 PM   #142
unseelie_sidhee

yeah, if you've never dyed your hair before then go straight to the bleach, but if you HAVE, thennn....

GET YOUR HAIR STRIPPED FIRST. believe me, i've been through this myself and also my ex went through it because he wouldn't listen to the voice of experience [mine]. if you've dyed your hair darkish ANYTHING, you need to get it professionally stripped, or go to a professional beauty supply store, like Sally beauty supply, to get the same products professionals use. don't ever go to hot topic [or hallowe'en stores] for hair products, that shit's for people who don't know better. and the employees at professional supply stores usually have a vast resivoir of helpful knowlege because they deal with real stylists and have to know what the fuck they're talking about.

hope this helps. tall one is right about the difficulty of attaining silver hair before age 55, btw.
unseelie_sidhee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 06:44 PM   #143
Circle V

I've never dyed my hair before, so stripping won't be necessary. Thanks anyway. I'll look into the toners-- thanks, Black.
Old 11-07-2005, 06:47 PM   #144
NyQuil of Doom

They used to make dyes for people who were going grey but had kind of brassy hair that would give a lovely silver tone, but I haven't seen them in over a year. You could try somewhere like Sally's though. I know they have shampoo-in stuff there for reducing brassiness of greying hair, but I think you have to use it really often.

Sally has some great stuff though, so I'd definitely check them out.
Old 11-08-2005, 05:26 AM   #145
DeathTrip

Eek.. I tell you.. growing your roots out after dying your black, so you can dye it red again, is painful! My hair is such a mess at the moment, and it costs me £45 every time I want the roots done red.. thats a loot of money.
DeathTrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 09:12 AM   #146
Rosie

I know what you mean DeathTrip. THat's one of the reasons I'm thinking of cutting my hair short.
Old 11-08-2005, 12:13 PM   #147
DeathTrip

What sort of style? Im trying to grow mine really long.. Dont know if it'll work though cause I keep getting dead ends from straightening it..
Old 11-08-2005, 01:16 PM   #148
DeathTrip

Yeaah, I guess so.. but my hair is actually like an afro.. i'm too paranoid about what my boyfriend thinks anyway..
Old 11-08-2005, 03:35 PM   #149
Tall One In Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathTrip
What sort of style? Im trying to grow mine really long.. Dont know if it'll work though cause I keep getting dead ends from straightening it..
Try using a ceramic straightening iron instead of metal. (If you're not already.) Ceramic does FAR less damage. I love love love my ceramic iron. I straighten my hair about every three days, and it shows very little damage even though it's well past the middle of my back.

I use a product called "Turn Up The Heat" (I think that's the name - it's in an orange bottle) which is available at beauty supply stores. It's a spray that protects your hair from the straightening iron. Great stuff. It does "smoke" a little under the iron, though, so don't be alarmed.
Old 11-08-2005, 04:19 PM   #150
NyQuil of Doom

Tresemme also makes a product that's supposed to protect your hair from things like blowdriers, curling irons, flat irons, etc.. I don't know how well it works or its official name or anything, but I thought I'd throw that out there if you can't find the "Turn Up The Heat" stuff.