Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 08-31-2007, 12:08 PM   #76
Lapin

I'm very sad actually, about my clothes. I'm taking a very hands-on shop type of class for stagework, and my professor today said:

"Oi. Flamboyant costume people. Starting on the 15th, no more skirts, dresses, pointy shoes, heels, jewelry, scarves, or those damn hair falls until December."

Now I'm digging through my wardrobe, my closet, and my storage for pants and regular shirts. (I must have more than two pairs of jeans! I know I do!)
Lapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 12:51 PM   #77
TopHaggardDoll

What an arsehole.
Old 08-31-2007, 01:29 PM   #78
Porphyria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lapin
I'm very sad actually, about my clothes. I'm taking a very hands-on shop type of class for stagework, and my professor today said:

"Oi. Flamboyant costume people. Starting on the 15th, no more skirts, dresses, pointy shoes, heels, jewelry, scarves, or those damn hair falls until December."
That's more for your safety, I think. I used to work in a factory and, while my supervisor was totally fine with me being myself with my excessive makeup and odd-colored hair, he didn't allow any employees to wear dresses, skirts, heels, scarves, jewelry (including piercings) or hairpieces. It was because he didn't want anyone being hurt or worse as a result of a fashion accessory being caught in one of the machines. Don't take it too personally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godslayer Jillian
Fucked-up moron: Oh well, I'm just going to the groceries, so jeans and a Tshirt is ok, but I'll throw in my velvet cape and my fake fangs just so they can know I am in fact a goth.
Lmfao. I wish there were more people like that. I went to school with a girl who kept her hair dyed bright blue and wore too much makeup-- even by goth standards. But she always wore faded jeans, a bleach-stained t-shirt and Nikes. Then she finished the ensemble with a hooded velvet cape. I LOVED that girl. She made me feel so much cooler than I probably was.
Porphyria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 01:37 PM   #79
TopHaggardDoll

When I first started secondary school there was a girl in 6th form who would wear priest like robes ALL the time. She was awesome.
Old 08-31-2007, 01:51 PM   #80
Porphyria

I adore crazy-dressing-for-no-apparent-reason people. There was a guy in my high school who always wore military uniforms.
Porphyria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 02:56 PM   #81
Lapin

Oh, I know it is. I'm not mad about it. (I've worked construction crew a little, so I know all the reasonings)

Though my dear friend is very, very depressed. (He's the one with the hair falls.) He was actually sniffling as we helped him remove them. (It was kind of pathetic)

It just struck me as funny, how he pointed at us. (He likes us quite a bit actually)
Old 08-31-2007, 03:50 PM   #82
thedoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by badteccy
YES! Thank you.
Wearing a tail...what the christ? I'm also against kitty ears if you are 16+ or it's halloween, OR your SO has a cat girl fetish (???), just keep that in the bedroom..
I mean, do whatcha want but I still think it's fucking stupid looking.
I love wearing my tail, i think its funny to see peoples reactions to it. I dont wear it with normal gear, only if I'm going to ren faire or with my belly dancing outfit. Why do you think it looks dumb?

I'd like to do more than survive, I'd like to rub it in your face. -The Dresden Dolls
thedoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 04:18 PM   #83
badteccy

Because you are a human, not an animal.
I just don't like it when people dress up to be something else. I mean, it's fine around Halloween or a costume party or some shit...but it just bothers me.
Yea, cosplaying bothers me.
Oh well, I shouldn't be so judgemantal...whatever floats your boat.
badteccy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 08:07 PM   #84
TopHaggardDoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoll
I love wearing my tail, i think its funny to see peoples reactions to it. I dont wear it with normal gear, only if I'm going to ren faire or with my belly dancing outfit. Why do you think it looks dumb?
FURRY ALERT!

:P!

I'm kidding, personally, I think it's abit silly too...reminds me of a little kid playing dress up/school plays in primary school.
If you like it though, fair enough. I'm not gunna stop you.
Old 08-31-2007, 09:01 PM   #85
thedoll

i just got it as a gift and had no idea that furries wore them until I went to an anime convention and guys kept asking me if I was a kitty-girl *shivers* I am a GIRL. My tail was obviously clipped on to my skirt!

I can see what you mean, but I think its entertaining. People also think my dark purple lipstick is dumb but it doesnt stop me! haha

I'd like to do more than survive, I'd like to rub it in your face. -The Dresden Dolls
Old 08-31-2007, 09:57 PM   #86
TopHaggardDoll

Quote:
I can see what you mean, but I think its entertaining. People also think my dark purple lipstick is dumb but it doesnt stop me! haha
As I said, i'm not gunna stop you. Some people think my half shaved hair is dumb. They can fuck off.

You have a good attitude. XD!
Old 09-01-2007, 12:06 AM   #87
Godslayer Jillian

I have to say something to the people that answered something withing the range of "I don't care" in respect to what Death said about people overdressing for the supermarket:
You do care.
The people that really don't care are the ones that put on a T-shirt and sweatpants and go to the market like that.
You are caring about your image. You're being too self-conscious.
If what you don't care about is Death's opinion, then you have a problem - for the real thing you should not be caring about is looking good for buying a bag of potatomatoes.
If you say you don't care because you're dressing only to please yourself, then you have a problem - for you have too low of a self-esteem if you have to feel pretty (even for only yourself) for buying said potatomatoes.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 12:43 AM   #88
TopHaggardDoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godslayer Jillian
If you say you don't care because you're dressing only to please yourself, then you have a problem - for you have too low of a self-esteem if you have to feel pretty (even for only yourself) for buying said potatomatoes.
Yes, I have low self esteem but I go to the shop to buy potatomatoes in jeans and a Tshirt...I don't even bother to draw on my eyebrows. I just whack on a pair of sunglasses and hey presto! I'm ready to go. Sometimes I don't even wear sunglasses.

Just because you feel good wearing a certain thing doesn't mean you have low self esteem. EVERYBODY! likes to wear something that makes them feel good sometimes.

It can also go the other way, one could also say you dress up all the time because of your ego or because you can afford designer gear and want to show off all that you've got.
One could say that low self esteem drives people to dress in frumpy clothing and they end up wearing baggy fleeces and baggy jogging bottoms all the time because they want to cover up everything. They feel they can't wear nice clothes because they hate their bodies.
Old 09-01-2007, 06:00 AM   #89
delicti

Quote:
I think it's one thing to do it at a place where people are encourage to dress up with some element of fantasy. I'm a ren faire junky myself, and I'd never to think that I should go out in full armor to the mall, just because (well, not unless I wanted to mess with people).

The thing I dislike about tail being tacked on to everyday outfits is (1) it looks really, really stupid (2) it makes you look like a 12 year old, and (3) if it's done for fetishy reasons, it's just plain rude.
Old 09-01-2007, 11:52 AM   #90
badteccy

I like you.
Old 09-01-2007, 12:36 PM   #91
thedoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by delicti
I think it's one thing to do it at a place where people are encourage to dress up with some element of fantasy. I'm a ren faire junky myself, and I'd never to think that I should go out in full armor to the mall, just because (well, not unless I wanted to mess with people).

The thing I dislike about tail being tacked on to everyday outfits is (1) it looks really, really stupid (2) it makes you look like a 12 year old, and (3) if it's done for fetishy reasons, it's just plain rude.
which makes sense, I have found people who wear tails usually have a fetish or are fufilling somebody elses fetish. I dont walk around in leingerie when my boy and I go to dinner or what not.

Thank you for the clarification.

Old 09-01-2007, 12:41 PM   #92
maggot

What about people who are furries, rather than as a fetish, but as a lifestyle choice?

I suppose like Stalking Cat or something.
Old 09-01-2007, 01:21 PM   #93
badteccy

Then sure, go out with a tail on...but don't act suprised when people make fun of you.
Old 09-01-2007, 01:27 PM   #94
maggot

I don't wear tails, I'm just saying stuff for the sake of argument. :P
Old 09-02-2007, 09:42 AM   #95
Death_Mask

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lapin
Oh, I know it is. I'm not mad about it. (I've worked construction crew a little, so I know all the reasonings)

Though my dear friend is very, very depressed. (He's the one with the hair falls.) He was actually sniffling as we helped him remove them. (It was kind of pathetic)

It just struck me as funny, how he pointed at us. (He likes us quite a bit actually)
You really like to use brackets don’t you?
Death_Mask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 09:42 AM   #96
badteccy

Also, just to be clear...I'm not saying it's "right" for people to make fun of people wearing tails, being furries,etc. But c'mon...it's not the norm so expect to take some heat and deal with it. Just have a sense of humor and you'll be fine.
Old 09-02-2007, 10:51 AM   #97
KontanKarite

Quote:
Originally Posted by badteccy
Also, just to be clear...I'm not saying it's "right" for people to make fun of people wearing tails, being furries,etc. But c'mon...it's not the norm so expect to take some heat and deal with it. Just have a sense of humor and you'll be fine.
That sounded really swell.

To the rest of the thread:

I don't really care what people wear. In fact, I'm a huge supporter of self expression. If you want to express yourself via fashion or whatever it may be, do it. It makes things interesting. Even the furries.

I kinda grew to respect other people's fashion sense. I can't really afford to voice my opinion on what I think looks ridiculous because I'm a goth and pretty much look like one all throughout the week in varying degrees. Wear a tail, wear ears, boys in dresses can be a fine sight to see. Fat people in unflattering clothing is also fine to me. I don't care. Besides, I don't have to say anything negative, others would do it for me.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 10:54 AM   #98
psyches_reflection

I work in a supermarket, and the two extremes I see in the way customers dress always amuse me.

On one hand, we have what is apprently a level of scruffiness exclusive to certain areas of Merseyside: the pajama ladies. They see nothing wrong with going out to the supermarket in their jim-jams and slippers, whilst clearly unwashed. I mean, there are limits, surely? Popping to the corner shop for a pint of milk in the morning whilst in this state is one thing, going out to do the weekly shop when you've (excluding aboslute sloth) been up for hours is a whole different matter. Wash. Add clean(ish) clothes. It isn't hard.

Then there's the scarily fashion obsessed kind, who see fit to do their weekly shop (normally with several young children in tow, I've noticed - yummy mummy wannabies, perhaps?) whilst clothed in outfits more fitting to a nightclub. Low cut, arse-skimming dresses, very high heels, perfectly done hair and full make up. At the very least, the shoes are never practical for steering a fully-loaded trolley and running after stray toddlers. Are everyday clothes really so unappealing to you?

It's one thing looking decent, but another entirely to look your absolute best just to do your shopping.
Old 09-02-2007, 11:42 AM   #99
Lapin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death_Mask
You really like to use brackets don’t you?
I see no brackets. I see parenthesis. But no brackets. What post were you looking at?
Old 09-02-2007, 01:41 PM   #100
CountSixstring

Quote:
Originally Posted by delicti
That has nothing to do with him over-doing it. That has to do with the fact that he's wearing a tail. Please be a good friend and tell him to stop.
When I say "over doing". I'm not talking goth, I'm talking furry. I don't have anything against them. On grounds of tryign too hard, they do way too much and it wierds people out and some others, but hey. I'm not here to judge, so don't take me too seriously.
CountSixstring is offline   Reply With Quote