Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 10-02-2007, 05:01 AM   #1
crucifix

do people ever make fun of how you look?

Do people ever make fun of your gothic apperence? I had a guy last night at my youth group tell me I looked like a vampire. First off, I was a little offended because I AM NOT A VAMPIRE DEVIL WORSHIPPER!!!!!!! How many times do I have to say it?? Then, honestly, once I really thought about it, I was just annoyed at him and didn't really care what he thought. Everyone has a right to their own opinions and his doesn't effect my life one way or another, you know? Anyhoo, anyone pick on y'all at all?
crucifix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 07:08 AM   #2
KontanKarite

Of course. It comes with the territory.

The beauty behind it though, I've had so many people be honest with me and tell me that they envy me because I have the guts to actually look the way I want to without shame. They claim they wish they could pull off some of the cool shit I sport.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 02:11 PM   #3
DefinedRapture

When i first started dressing how i do, ("gothed up") They were mean; i mean really mean, they’d kick my seats away from me, crowd around me and call me the various of Satan-worshipping ects, then in 9th grade, they sorta just shut up about it, because there were finally intimidating goth-guys to support us (for the most part).
The harassment was rather annoying. "Id love to tap that lil devil-gurl rite thu" (damned redneck)
DefinedRapture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 02:44 PM   #4
NachtSorcier

Not to my face. Most people prefer to be pussies and whisper behind my back.

Really, you can't let people get to you. Like it or not, if you choose to be different from the mainstream, you're gonna get shit for it. All you can do is ignore them or give them some biting wit and move on. There's no sense in dwelling on it because you can tell them you're not evil until you're blue in the face, but they're just going to think what they think. They're not worth your breath or your time.

Visit my online store: http://www.websofsilver.com
NachtSorcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 02:59 PM   #5
L'Oiseau Noir

I still don't understand why they make fun of people who go outside of the mainstream. Sure, I know to them it's not normal, but...

Have they looked in a mirror? Same khaki pants, feathered farah fawcett hair, striped shirts, sneakers, caps, and so on. Oh, right, don't forget the identical slutty outfits a lot of girls wear. If anything, everyone should be laughing at them for being clones of each other.

I could be wrong, though, about them being all the same; maybe there is an individual amongst that flock... I'm just stating from what I've observed at my school and around town.

And the "gangsta" kids, don't even get me started....

Which reminds me. Today a group of baggy-pants-wearing a-holes were shouting things at me like "devil gurl" and "satan bitch."

Which was funny, considering I wasn't even wearing anything over-the-top... just a black skirt, frilly, lace top, and my usual combat boots and striped stockings... if anything I looked like a reject from an Anne Rice novel.

Sorry for the rambling everyone.
L'Oiseau Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 04:37 PM   #6
Graveyard.Crow

I think people who make fun of others for THAT are only fueling the fire for those who wish to rebel.
It's pretty pathetic that I can be walking around in a t shirt and jeans and still feel as If I'm a part of some anarchist circle. It doesn't take much to get noticed. Sad thing is some people complain about the attention they get while REALLY they love it to death and wouldn't have it any other way.
Old 10-02-2007, 05:51 PM   #7
kwaniesiam

Yes. But usually I laugh back because they're equally as ridiculous on a different level. People are always going to be dickheads. Just ignore them.
kwaniesiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 05:56 PM   #8
Edward Strange

You are quite right Madam Crow. Attention whores are rather common now days.
Many alternateens dress the way they do purely to shock, while there is little substance underneath.

My experiences with self-harmers have had me hear many a sorry tale of people hurting themselves to get attention. A terrible business.
And I will admit at times I do look in the mirror and wonder if I dress the way I do to make up for an absence of personality. Where-upon I quietly gibber and wibble with worry for a time. >_>

Breathing heard just below the floorboards.
The sense of something terrible rousing itself from
from its torpor.
Edward Strange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 05:58 PM   #9
††BlackRose††

People will always be there to make fun of you. I suppose nobody who isn't goth or goth informed will always make fun of goths because they don't understand. I let a lot of them dwell in their ignorance.

But there are these girls in my class that always whisper and it drives me crazy. It's like they don't know that I can hear them. But I don't let it get to me because what's the worst thing that they can do?
††BlackRose†† is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 06:05 PM   #10
Edward Strange

Homicide is usually your best bet.

Sorry, rather bad joke.
You are of course right, it is almost always that whenever someone shouts something nasty at you, it will go no further than that.
Sticks and stones will break my bones, but words will never hurt me.

We all know that one surely.

It does make me wonder about humanity though when people are mean and obnoxious for no reason...
I recall one gentleman insulting me, but he never smiled or laughed or seemed to be enjoying himself at all.
So why did he do it I wonder?

And is it really so hard for people to be aware of other people's feelings? Yeesh!

Breathing heard just below the floorboards.
The sense of something terrible rousing itself from
from its torpor.
Edward Strange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 06:21 PM   #11
Graveyard.Crow

Goths aren't the only ones that get maid fun of. I don't call myself goth.
That was random but I always have the urge to add. You guys aren't the only subculture that has it bad ( I don't belong to ANY subculture by the way, more of a community).
Old 10-02-2007, 07:20 PM   #12
††BlackRose††

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graveyard.Crow
Goths aren't the only ones that get maid fun of. I don't call myself goth.
That was random but I always have the urge to add. You guys aren't the only subculture that has it bad ( I don't belong to ANY subculture by the way, more of a community).
I know. I don't consider myself goth either. I see the steriotyping all the time. So ignorance and bullying will always exsist.
††BlackRose†† is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 09:07 PM   #13
Cicero

I don't get it... I've only ever got compliments for the way I dress. I've had the most 'normal' looking people asking me where I got the bones or patches on my jacket, or how I get my ripped-up tights to look so perfect (my usual answer: use your teeth).

Perhaps it's because of living in a fairly 'open-minded' city. I do admit around the more snooty suburbs the upper-middle-class mothers with their toddlers and babies in tow will generally cross to the other side of the street when they see me walking their way, but I'm thankful for that since I probably dislike them more than they dislike me.

My Etsy store: www.Cicero1334.etsy.com

[And check out 1334 while you're at it: www.myspace.com/club1334 ]
Cicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 09:37 PM   #14
Graveyard.Crow

I get compliments, but mostly from the most UNEXPECTED PEOPLE. Like teachers, or people old enough to be my parents. I am not sure if this is mocking, but I really doubt it.
Old 10-02-2007, 09:47 PM   #15
Cicero

Yeah, same here. It seems genuine to me - mocking would be more likely to come from people our own age.

My Etsy store: www.Cicero1334.etsy.com

[And check out 1334 while you're at it: www.myspace.com/club1334 ]
Cicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 03:27 AM   #16
Heatherzilla

I'm find it amusing when people make fun of me because the vast majority of the time they are total losers. I also love getting compliments from unexpected people, they always put a smile on my face.
Heatherzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 10:55 AM   #17
TopHaggardDoll

You know what's funny...

Old people LOVE the way I dress...but teenagers always take the piss.
Old 10-03-2007, 11:17 AM   #18
Romantic Raven

Some of the people my age admire me, others make fun of me simply because they secretly envy me. Adults seem to love the way I dress. Especially teachers. When they see me all dressed up and elegant, they often assume I'm smart and mature. Which I am.
"I have cultivated my hysteria with delight and terror. Now I suffer continually from vertigo, and today, 23rd of January, 1862, I have received a singular warning, I have felt the wind of the wing of madness pass over me." - Charles Baudelaire
Romantic Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 11:53 AM   #19
crucifix

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopHaggardDoll
You know what's funny...

Old people LOVE the way I dress...but teenagers always take the piss.
I am the same way, adults love me when I am all dressed up when I go out but kids call me vampire.
crucifix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 01:26 PM   #20
L'Oiseau Noir

Same here. Old ladies LOVE the way I dress, but when it boils down to the teenage populace, they loath my presence. Not that I really care, anyway, as I love dressing the way I do and feel comfortable in those types of clothes.

However, there are a few exceptions... recently there's been an influx weirdoes who seem to have some sort of unhealthy obsession with me because of my clothes. There's this really creepy sophomore girl whose always on my heels, skulking behind me like a shadow. She talks really monotonously, and there is absolutely no life in her expression or the way she talks... I really want her to go away.

Aside from that, though, yeah, I'm on the same boat as most of you. Adults tend to love me (well, the older ones), and most kids hate me. :3
L'Oiseau Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 03:03 PM   #21
prophecyofdoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Oiseau Noir
She talks really monotonously, and there is absolutely no life in her expression or the way she talks... I really want her to go away.
Oh, that brought back memories....

I used to have one of those in high school. Since I know what it feels like to be The Girl Nobody Likes, I would go out of my way to be friendly to her, include her in conversations with friends, and try to draw her out of her shell. Despite my efforts, she usually just lurked around not saying anything. She is the only person I've ever met who seemed to have NO personality whatsoever. I'd ask her about what she liked to read, watch on TV, what music she liked, and I'd get a shrug and a noncommital grunt as an answer. My friends often complained of her being around, calling her "That girl who just stands there not saying anything." I always invited her to come sit with us, though, because I thought she was just shy and lonely. After all that, one day in class we had a guest speaker, who had brought fragments of primitive caveman hand tools for us to examine. We were supposed to pass them around, but the stupid jocks in the class happened to be sitting by me and thought it was really funny to toss them ahead to the next person, skipping me. She was the next person. She was delighted to be included in this game. I was actually interested in examining the artifacts, and said to her, "Okay, very funny, ha ha. Now give it here," and held out my hand. She ignored me, and kept laughing with the jocks! And I was her only goddamned friend! A couple times she tried talking to me after that, and I just up and walked away without saying anything. I was really offended by what she had done, after I had stood up for her with my friends. Plus, back then I wasn't as outspoken as I am today, and I didn't want to make more of a scene in class, so I was the only one that didn't get to examine the artifacts. She sat all by herself after that. I actually felt really bad for her, because one day in class after that, we had to talk about our plans for the future, and she said, in front of everyone, that she wanted to be "really popular", and everyone started laughing at her.

Help us to be the always hopeful
Gardeners of the spirit
Who know that without darkness
Nothing comes to birth
As without light
Nothing flowers
-May Sarton
prophecyofdoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 04:24 PM   #22
Vexik

I've worn my pirate hat around on occasion, and it always draws attention. I often get compliments from older people, gasps of surprise and smiles from little kids, and idle stares from the teens. Sometimes I'll get 'Yo Jack Sparrow!' from across the mall or parking lot or what-have-you. I think that if I'm going to wear something out of the ordinary, I have to expect that people will view me as such. A quick 'arr!' or flash of a smile, and it's all good. If I didn't want people to notice me (as I sometimes do), I wouldn't wear it out.
Vexik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 04:41 PM   #23
thedoll

I don't understand why there are so many threads complaining about getting made fun of. If you honestly care that much about what people think about you then stop dressing that way. Yeah I got made fun of too, but if it bothered me enough I would stop. You have to expect reactions from people whether they are good or bad, get over it.

I'd like to do more than survive, I'd like to rub it in your face. -The Dresden Dolls
thedoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 06:08 PM   #24
Graveyard.Crow

Quote:
Originally Posted by crucifix
I am the same way, adults love me when I am all dressed up when I go out but kids call me vampire.
Vampire is by FAR not the worst thing you can be called. I always take it as a compliment.
Old 10-03-2007, 06:10 PM   #25
Graveyard.Crow

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoll
I don't understand why there are so many threads complaining about getting made fun of. If you honestly care that much about what people think about you then stop dressing that way. Yeah I got made fun of too, but if it bothered me enough I would stop. You have to expect reactions from people whether they are good or bad, get over it.
No one here (as far as I know) is actually complaining or saying that it's hurting their feelings.
You're not the only one who just doesn't care. This is for laughs, not for rants.

However what does annoy me about these threads is that they usually end up being nothing but self flattery. YOU LOOK GREAT, we GET it already.