Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Politics

Politics "Under democracy, one party always devotes its chief energies to trying to prove that the other party is unfit to rule -and both commonly succeed, and are right." -H.L. Menken

Old 03-27-2006, 08:45 AM   #26
CptSternn

In the immortal words of Archie Bunker...

Daughter: Last year 20,000 people were killed in america by guns

Archie: Would you have felt better if they were pushed out of windows?

Limerick is a perfect example of this. Limerick is known affectionately as 'stab city' because there are more stabbings there than anywhere else in Ireland. Just because you take guns out of the equation doesn't mean people won't still go after each other trying to kill one another.
CptSternn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 09:08 AM   #27
Empty_Purple_Stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptSternn

With 1 in 5 of all americans either in prison or having been to prison, and that number increasing exponetially every year.
I really don't have much to say these days, but I couldn't let this one slide.

Care to cite a RELIABLE source on that Bold little statistic up there?

Usually I would ask for three..

However, I'll be happy with ONE reliable source that states that statistic is accurate, and reveals what process was used to gather this information objectively.

*waits*
Empty_Purple_Stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 03:01 AM   #28
CptSternn

Ask and ye shall receive...

1 Out Of 32 Americans Under Correctional Supervision

http://usgovinfo.about.com/cs/census...a/aainjail.htm

While 1 out of every 142 Americans is now actually in prison, 1 out of every 32 of us is either in prison or on parole from prison, according to yet another report on Americans behaving badly from the Bureau of Justice Statistics.
This means that 6.7 million adult men and women -- about 3.1 percent of the total U.S. adult population -- are now very non-voluntary members of America's "correctional community."

Also...

http://usgovinfo.about.com/cs/census...aprisonpop.htm

Non-citizen prison population also growing
As of last June 30, state and federal correctional authorities held 88,776 non-citizens

...That second stat is to back up the idea that illiegals commit less crimes than citizens which I posted in another thread. With 11 million in the states and less than 90,000 in prison compared to 1 in 32, thats pretty impressive.

Also note those are 2002 figures. The numbers I quoted were from the recent 2005 report which are much higher.

I could only find a 2004 report from this site with some new stats:

http://www.commondreams.org/headlines04/0528-02.htm

But it states 1 in every 75 men in america is IN prison, and doesn't have the parolees nor former inmates in their stats.

But judging by those stats, which are MUCH higher than 2002, ye get the idea. I'll keep looking for the most recent stats article I read that on, but everytime I try to limit any search with PRISON and 2005 in it I get a million articles on Iraq.
CptSternn is offline   Reply With Quote