Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Spooky News

Spooky News Spooky news from around the web goes in this forum. Please always credit and link your source and only use sources which are okay with being posted. No profanity in subject headings please.

Old 01-28-2009, 06:24 PM   #1
LaBelleDameSansMerci

Boy mauled by dog

http://www.zootoo.com/petnews/boymau...mblamesson-360

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boy Mauled by Fam. Dog; Mom Blames Son
MELBOURNE, Australia – The mother of a boy who was mauled by the family dog says she won't have it put down because her son antagonized the pooch.

Fox News reports that two-year-old Noah Newbold was tugging on the family dog's ears when the mastiff-pit-bull-cross apparently snapped at the boy, cutting his eye-lid and face.

Alicia Cottier, the boy's mother, says she warned her son not to bother the dog named Cassey. However, he continued pulling her ears and Cassey responded.

Cottier says the dog normally walks away from the boy when it gets annoyed with him. Noah's mother has little concern that the dog will be an issue in the future. In fact, Fox reported that the boy could be seen hugging and playing with the dog soon after getting patched up.

Paramedics who arrived at the scene said the child was lucky to have suffered such mild injuries – although Cottier says her son was covered in blood following the incident.

Because the snapping occurred on Cottier's property, no charges will be filed. Cassey won't be seeing the inside of an animal control truck any time soon – and hopefully, Noah won't be tugging at her ears either.
Now there's a mother who ascribes to the "Well you'll know better next time, won't you?" theory.
Like a tea-tray in the sky.

LaBelleDameSansMerci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 06:29 PM   #2
Solumina

Wow, that mom should be facing some child endangerment charges, you don't let a 2 year old piss off your dog, telling him to stop simply isn't good enough when the child is only 2
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 06:44 PM   #3
Saya

I agree, but why is this called a mauling? The dog snapped at the boy and hurt his face, and the injuries were minor.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 06:46 PM   #4
Underwater Ophelia

It's definitely the kid's fault.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 06:50 PM   #5
LaBelleDameSansMerci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya
I agree, but why is this called a mauling? The dog snapped at the boy and hurt his face, and the injuries were minor.
Because we have a sensationalist media.

Old 01-28-2009, 06:52 PM   #6
Saya

Oh. My cat scratched me slightly when I was picking at her, think I should call the CBC?
Old 01-28-2009, 06:56 PM   #7
badteccy

Why would this even be news....oh, Australia.
badteccy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 07:00 PM   #8
badteccy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solumina
Wow, that mom should be facing some child endangerment charges, you don't let a 2 year old piss off your dog, telling him to stop simply isn't good enough when the child is only 2
"WAH! WAH! WAH!"

Stop being a moron. It wasn't a big deal, the kid was fine. If the dog had always walked away in the past...how was the mother supposed to know it would react this time? Also, I'm sure the kid learned a lesson from this.
badteccy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 07:04 PM   #9
Solumina

Quote:
Originally Posted by badteccy
Stop being a moron. It wasn't a big deal, the kid was fine. If the dog had always walked away in the past...how was the mother supposed to know it would react this time? Also, I'm sure the kid learned a lesson from this.
The kid is fucking 2 that is not how a 2 year old's brain processes, chances are that this will result in no change in the child behavior. The dog was reacting in a way that is normal, it did not attack the child and was not intending to hurt the child, it was snapping at the child much the same way that dogs snap at each other to show that they have had enough. If the mom wasn't an idiot she would have been aware of this.
-Carbon Leaf
Old 01-28-2009, 07:12 PM   #10
Albert Mond

Solumina is right. The mother should be anally ***** at least twenty times and sent into the deep Aussie Desert where the only source of sustenance comes from the mammoth schlong of the Mythical Yowie.
Albert Mond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 07:13 PM   #11
JCC

I think it's pretty harsh to say that she should face child endangerment charges, but she does need to be more wary of the dog in the home.
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 07:20 PM   #12
Solumina

Child endangerment really isn't all that serious of a charge (in many states it is merely a misdemeanor, though other places may have harsher child endanger laws), to my knowledge someone who is accused of child endangerment for the first time will more than likely be able to plea to a lesser charge and only receive community service (and the child would not need to be taken away from the accused parent) so I don't think that is too serious for the situation.
-Carbon Leaf
Old 01-28-2009, 07:30 PM   #13
LaBelleDameSansMerci

I don't think the kid will pull on the dog's ears again. I'm even surprised that he went back and played with it after he got back from the hospital. Anyway, if the kid does do it again, I'm sure his mother will remind him, "Remember when you almost lost your eye doing that?" and he'll probably stop.
I also *like* to think that kids are intelligent enough to realize that if aggravating the dog resulted in injured face once, it might do so again.

Old 01-28-2009, 07:32 PM   #14
Albert Mond

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBelleDameSansMerci
I also *like* to think that kids are intelligent enough to realize that if aggravating the dog resulted in injured face once, it might do so again.
Damn two-year-olds these days.
Albert Mond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 07:38 PM   #15
Solumina

Generally speaking two year olds don't register connections between two or more things after just one example or incidence, if it happens repeatedly then yeah but not after just one occurrence, the fact that the child immediately went back to playing with the dog and did not seem to be at all timid illustrates this fact
-Carbon Leaf
Old 01-28-2009, 07:38 PM   #16
Pineapple_Juice

Pineapple believes thus:

-it was the child's fault.
-it was not a "mauling"
-The woman is right for not putting the dog down. Why should the animal have to endure abuse just because the kid is a retard?
-the woman should have stopped the child
Pineapple_Juice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 07:59 PM   #17
Saya

You know, my mom likes to tell the story of when I was two, I was left alone for one minute, and she heard a crash, ran into the living room, and there I was, my legs and arms sticking out from under the tv set, I had somehow pulled it on top of myself. Luckily there was no brain damage damage damage damage.

Point is, while two year olds can be smart, they can and will find a way to do something stupid, don't leave them in a room with a tv set alone and don't let them sit there and tug on a big dog's ears.
Old 01-28-2009, 09:39 PM   #18
LaBelleDameSansMerci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solumina
Generally speaking two year olds don't register connections between two or more things after just one example or incidence, if it happens repeatedly then yeah but not after just one occurrence, the fact that the child immediately went back to playing with the dog and did not seem to be at all timid illustrates this fact
You must know a lot of dumb two-year-olds.
Being snapped at and bloodied by a dog is pretty powerful. I think the kid will be remembering it for a while.
It's also possible that the kid connected the snapping with the pulling on the ears or other general irritation, and is going to be nicer to the dog now.

Old 01-28-2009, 09:51 PM   #19
Solumina

I wasn't basing that on my personal interactions but with what I have learned about psychological development. I'm really not a huge fan of kids in general so I don't really have much experience.
-Carbon Leaf
Old 01-28-2009, 09:57 PM   #20
nis~sijai

If she knew that the kid would interact with the dog in a negative way, then she shouldn't have let him continue to do so. She should have either kept the two apart, or given the dog away to a friend or family member.
nis~sijai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 11:02 PM   #21
jack_the_knife

Wow. Finally some parents that actually have some common sense.
jack_the_knife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 11:30 PM   #22
Godslayer Jillian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBelleDameSansMerci
You must know a lot of dumb two-year-olds.
Most two-year olds don't have the brain capacity to understand causation.
That's psychology.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 03:07 AM   #23
CptSternn

Who lets their kid play with a mastiff? Has anyone here every seen one? They are the size of a small horse.

A pit-bull mastiff mix? So basically a pit-bull the size of a small horse. Yeah, let yer kid play with that , good parenting there.

I mean, the lady says 'I told him not to do that'. Thats like seeing yer child playing with a loaded gun and saying 'ye better stop that'.

When it comes to who is at fault here, in any situation where a child is being supervised its ALWAYS the parents fault, especially if they see dangerous behaviour happening and fail to act, as it happened in this case.

The dog was being a dog. The baby was being a baby. The parents should have had better sense than to let that happen.
CptSternn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 11:52 AM   #24
girasol

Quote:
Originally Posted by badteccy
Why would this even be news....oh, Australia.
-

wtf...
quite often stupid stories are published in the news - I am sure it is not specific to Australia. Also, people read about this sort of thing - therefore they think it is newsworthy.

You think its stupid to mention, and that its fine for a parent to leave a small kid taunting a fairly large dog -
perhaps the article might be of some use - reminding people not to leave their children unattended with their pets. Especially if they have large jaws.
girasol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 12:45 PM   #25
ThreeEyesOni

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptSternn
Who lets their kid play with a mastiff? Has anyone here every seen one? They are the size of a small horse.

A pit-bull mastiff mix? So basically a pit-bull the size of a small horse. Yeah, let yer kid play with that , good parenting there.

I mean, the lady says 'I told him not to do that'. Thats like seeing yer child playing with a loaded gun and saying 'ye better stop that'.

When it comes to who is at fault here, in any situation where a child is being supervised its ALWAYS the parents fault, especially if they see dangerous behaviour happening and fail to act, as it happened in this case.

The dog was being a dog. The baby was being a baby. The parents should have had better sense than to let that happen.
Have you ever spent much time around large dogs? Besides the obvious of walking by them or seeing them behind fences.

Pit bulls arn't nearly as bad as they are made out to be. There are relatively few actual incidents involving them, especially compared to dog incidents in general. People are terrified of them though because (a) they are big (b) they know how to [and are often encouraged to] be intimidating (c) the various media know this and therefor report every single sensational story.

More people are injured by Chihuahuas every year than they are by Pit Bulls, and neither of them compare to people cutting themselves while prepping bagels.

The mother is a bit od a dumbass for not just forcibly removing the kid, but then I'm sure someone would claim she was being abusive for not letting him play with the family dog. I mean, would people be shouting "child endangerment" if she put up a slide in the backyard and he fell off from trying to go down backwards after being told no?
ThreeEyesOni is offline   Reply With Quote