Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 04-17-2009, 02:42 PM   #26
Solumina

I'm rather hesitant to tell those I don't know well that I'm in an somewhat open relationship because people always seem to think that that means that Jake and I aren't devoted to each other.

On another note back when I first worked for the county I was constantly downplaying how much I knew about local politics because I was supposed to be the cute little intern and I wasn't supposed to know more than the people who had been there for years, when I did leave I found out that not only hadn't I learned anything new but that I actually knew less than when I started. When I went back I made sure not to make the same mistake but it took a surprising amount of effort.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 03:44 PM   #27
KontanKarite

Modifying clothes is a hobby of mine.

People ask me to make them clothes and these are the same people who like to assume that I modify my clothes because I'm being sophomoric like a teen aged counter part. The intentions are totally different.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 04:04 PM   #28
maggot

I feel uncomfortable wearing any type of pants other than cargo pants because it wouldn't be "k0re" xD
Old 04-17-2009, 06:24 PM   #29
Pyre

Tam: Why does it matter if my responses are personal rather than academic? My job isn't to assess everyone's response academically, that is to be done in the paper and not on the site. I am expressing personal information here because I am a member of this site and because it helps conversation along.

I don't have a particular style that I worry about being judged by, so you misunderstood me. I typically wear jeans and a t-shirt or dressy semi-formal clothes on a regular basis, on occasion wearing a skirt. What I said is that I own so much black that people automatically assume that I am goth, and I think that's a rather stupid and assumptuous stereotype given how many people wear black regularly that are -not- goth, metal, or whatever else they want to assume.

I do not act like anything other than myself, and I don't believe you should assume that I am fake just because I don't like giving people straight answers about certain things which they may or may not judge me by.

"Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you" The Bible (Matthew 7:12)
Pyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 06:43 PM   #30
Mir

I don't like telling chicks I'm Asian, because they automatically assume I'm small in the pants.

HHAHA! I'm a little drunk.
Mir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 06:50 PM   #31
Saya

I don't have a problem with stereotypes very often, my "bad" goth phase (black lipstick and other things that really didn't flatter me at all) was very brief, now that I dress pretty sharply (lots of dresses and skirts), I get compliments usually and questions as to how to make fishnet sleeves and occasionally why I wear black all the time. I feel weird using the word "goth" to describe myself though, there is no goth rock scene here so I feel disassociated.

Plus lately I've been getting into more into colours, while I still love the goth look I'd like to experiment with other looks while I'm still young and can pull it off ^_^
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 07:00 PM   #32
Pyre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr E Nigma View Post
I think I've actually seen this the most in my college atmosphere, to include someone not wanting to call themselves straightedge as well.
Back when I considered myself sXe I stopped using the label because of all of the negative connotations associated with it. Actually, one of the readings for my subcultures class looked at a forum of sXers and a handful of them refused to use the title because they didn't like the label.

Remember that stereotype threat is not limited to just subcultures. Desdemona is the only one who has applied it to something outside of a subculture, and I'd be interested to know if anyone had similar problems regarding race, gender, age, social class, etc. Mir doesn't count, he's drunk, and he has a small penis.

That being said, one example I can offer is the fact I rarely, if ever, tell people my home is a trailer, and usually when I mention it I always say "mobile home." I feel that others will judge me thinking I am poor white trash since trailers are so often associated with the type, and when I bring new people to my home I start analyzing their responses to see if they have any shock or surprise. Fortunately most people say they didn't even acknowledge that it's a mobile home and wouldn't have realized that it is had I not mentioned it to them.

"Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you" The Bible (Matthew 7:12)
Old 04-17-2009, 07:11 PM   #33
Mir

I resent that! Just because I'm drunk, and have a small penis doesn't mean I can't contribute positively to yer thread.
Old 04-17-2009, 07:55 PM   #34
Pyre

Haha. My friends actually joke that I need to date Asians because of the small penis stereotype. :nudges Mir:

Old 04-17-2009, 07:56 PM   #35
Mir

Why did you think I posted that?
Old 04-17-2009, 08:19 PM   #36
maggot

Pyre, you have a tiny vagina? What's going on?
Old 04-17-2009, 08:21 PM   #37
Pyre

I'm a tiny person.

Old 04-17-2009, 08:49 PM   #38
Underwater Ophelia

Why do you give a damn about the opinions of people who would think that way?
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 09:15 PM   #39
Mr E Nigma

Everyone stereotypes. It's part of how we judge people... I don't care what anyone says at some point in time you make stereotypical judgements.. it's a habit of our species. And actually I think it's a habit of most animals... outcasting others who are weak and all that, considering them no good. There's forms of stereotyping everywhere... And anyone who says they don't are absolute hypocrites.
Old 04-17-2009, 09:18 PM   #40
Pyre

As I said in a previous post, I suffer from self-esteem and confidence issues. I'm vulnerable to judgment. I am a lot better now since I've become comfortable in college, however. A lot of those problems were issues from a year or two ago. I work to overcome it, however, and I have progressed a lot since then. I actually wear skirts now, which is something that severely bothered me before this semester, in fact.

E Nigma: I couldn't agree more. The people on this forum judge a hell of a lot, too, and sometimes it's done in order to try upsetting a member to scare them off, i.e. becky and uni. Therefore, they acknowledge that opinions should affect us, and yet they wonder why I would even care.

Old 04-17-2009, 10:18 PM   #41
maggot

I wear tight pants so everyone can see my bulge since I'm a Jew, and I want people to know the stereotype ain't true for me.

True story.
Old 04-17-2009, 11:03 PM   #42
Mr E Nigma

There's a jew stereotype for =ahem= being small? (I'm a jew too.. and I would've never guessed)
Old 04-17-2009, 11:05 PM   #43
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr E Nigma View Post
Everyone stereotypes. It's part of how we judge people... I don't care what anyone says at some point in time you make stereotypical judgements.. it's a habit of our species. And actually I think it's a habit of most animals... outcasting others who are weak and all that, considering them no good. There's forms of stereotyping everywhere... And anyone who says they don't are absolute hypocrites.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdG_A...eature=related
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 02:33 AM   #44
Mealla

While I do not consciously modify my behavior based on stereotypes, I have been a victim of stereotyping. Most recent example I can think of is when I got pulled over by a state trooper for a minor speeding violation, and he had the audacity to actually ask me if I was on drugs due to the fact that I was nervous and presumably because of the way I was dressed.

I also think it's funny that some people immediately think "goth," or even worse, "emo" or "satanist" when they see someone wearing all or mostly black. Technically there are a number of groups and subcultures that have adopted black attire, including but not limited to all of the above, angsty teenagers in general, metalheads, etc. Nevermind the people who wear black for practicality (for example, it's better for night-time urban exploration if you're technically not supposed to be in a particular location, and it doesn't show some stains and would therefore be better for certain types of work).
Mealla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 02:37 AM   #45
Mealla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya View Post
I feel weird using the word "goth" to describe myself though, there is no goth rock scene here so I feel disassociated.
There is little "goth rock" scene anywhere. Though I've seen one or two exceptions, most "goth nights" actually feature synthpop and/or industrial music.
Mealla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 03:41 AM   #46
Pyre

That song is so goddamned true (and racist itself, which makes it better). I know I don't call myself racist and don't consider myself such, but I definitely prefer some races over others and stereotype them all.

Asians and Indians excel in math.

(Not all stereotypes have to be negative.)

Old 04-18-2009, 05:50 AM   #47
girasol

I don't really even consider myself a goth but I like the music and I like alternative clubs and clothes. Most of my friends are goth or alternative as opposed to the mainstream over here. One thing that has changed with me is that I no longer wear ripped stockings, fishnets or much makeup to uni. I don't show my tiny undercut... I keep my hair down at all times during the day and whenever with people who aren't into what I am into. I have started wearing flat shoes to places when I wore heels everywhere. I take my shoes with me and put them on when I get into the city or to wherever I am going.
It isn't because I am ashamed of not looking like 'normal' girls. I am sick of randoms at a pub finding something to say about my outfit or shoes or hair when I am out for a cigarette. I don't feel like answering 'so are you like a goth or some shit? ' or 'so what music do you listen to?' . I don't like ladies in the toilets looking at me if I am doing something. I guess I am just trying to reduce the possibility of me getting really angry with random people because of their lack of manners rather than avoid a stereotype.
girasol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 06:34 AM   #48
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyre View Post
That song is so goddamned true (and racist itself, which makes it better). I know I don't call myself racist and don't consider myself such, but I definitely prefer some races over others and stereotype them all.

Asians and Indians excel in math.

(Not all stereotypes have to be negative.)
All stereotypes are negative because they all assume that every member of a given race is the exact same as every other member.

It's like when idiots say things like, "I love gay men!" That's just as bad as saying you hate them.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 02:31 PM   #49
Lolly PopMuzik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyre View Post
I know I don't call myself racist and don't consider myself such, but I definitely prefer some races over others and stereotype them all.
So you expect us to be sympathetic when you get shifty and fearful of your bat cred when someone gets curious about where you got/why you wear your spooky accessories but you think you should go unquestioned in stereotyping other races?

Oh and 600th post, yatches.
Old 04-18-2009, 05:49 PM   #50
HavelockV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underwater Ophelia View Post
All stereotypes are negative because they all assume that every member of a given race is the exact same as every other member.

It's like when idiots say things like, "I love gay men!" That's just as bad as saying you hate them.
I must concur with the Lady Ophelia on this point. Even in the so-called 'positive' stereotype you cited, where one assumes that Asians and Indians are highly skilled at mathetmatics, there is a negative aspect to such an expectation.

In the Asian culture, academic achievement is generally encouraged and expected in children by their parents, so there is already a tremendous amount of pressure for students to perform well in school, particularly in certain fields that are perceived as challenging and/or prestigous; such as mathematics, biology, chemistry, physics, etc... For Asian students who are not adept at such subjects, or even for those who only have an average competency in those areas, there can arise a sense of personal failure as a result of both familial expectations and social stereotypes.

I do speak from experience in this regard and can attest to how one's self-esteem can take a beating from being constantly compared with other, more 'successful' Asian students. Such comparisons do not even have to be made by other indivuals. There may come a point where one is constantly subconsciously assessing one's accomplishments based on the achievements of others, which again can wreak havoc upon one's sense of worth.

In short, while 'postive' stereotypes may be well-intentioned, they can have not-so-positive consequences upon those which they are intended to praise.

Food for thought.
HavelockV is offline   Reply With Quote