Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Politics

Politics "Under democracy, one party always devotes its chief energies to trying to prove that the other party is unfit to rule -and both commonly succeed, and are right." -H.L. Menken

Old 07-16-2009, 02:44 PM   #1
gomez_928

Goodbye clove cigarettes....

It appears that Obama is signing a bill that will ban the sale of all flavored tobacco in the US, including the much-beloved clove cigarette:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/31305225...-capitol_hill/

I'm not a habitual smoker, but I do enjoy smoking cloves occasionally. I personally think this bill is absolutely ridiculous. This video I found on Youtube pretty much sums up my opinion on the matter:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFuH4h0d-Aw
gomez_928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 12:50 AM   #2
Joker_in_the_Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomez_928 View Post
It appears that Obama is signing a bill that will ban the sale of all flavored tobacco in the US, including the much-beloved clove cigarette:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/31305225...-capitol_hill/

I'm not a habitual smoker, but I do enjoy smoking cloves occasionally. I personally think this bill is absolutely ridiculous. This video I found on Youtube pretty much sums up my opinion on the matter:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFuH4h0d-Aw
I do so hope this doesn't include hookah. I'll be most irked.
Because before too long there'll be nothing left alive, not a creature on the land or sea, a bird in the sky. They'll be shot, harpooned, eaten, and hunted too much, vivisected by the clever men who prove that there's no such things as a fair world with live and let live. The Royal family go hunting, what an example to give to the people they lead and that don't include me, I've seen enough pain and torture of those who can't speak...

- Tough Shit, Mickey by Conflict
Joker_in_the_Pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 02:18 AM   #3
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker_in_the_Pack View Post
I do so hope this doesn't include hookah. I'll be most irked.
From what I can tell it won't affect shisha, worse comes to worst you can make your own flavouring though.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 01:20 PM   #4
Still Jack

Yeah, well, I'm pretty sure you could make the filter taste of cloves instead of the actual tobacco. So, it wouldn't be that tragic really...
Still Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 01:57 PM   #5
Sinjob

Damn. Well, as much as I love those passive smokes the fact of the matter is they're worse for you. Can't say I'm sad but can't say good riddance.
Sinjob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 06:53 PM   #6
Underwater Ophelia

Yeah, I'm upset about this.

Kids don't fucking smoke cloves. Kids smoke Newports.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 08:08 PM   #7
maggot

Artsy kids smoke cloves. I say good riddance. They taste like shit, and smell even worse! A cigarette isn't supposed to smell like potpourri
Old 07-18-2009, 08:37 PM   #8
Sir Canvas Corpsey

I hate it when a product is banned or reduced because teens and their parents are too fucking stupid to keep on top of the issue on a personal level. It's like the whole childhood obesity thing being blamed on McDonalds and other fast food joints rather than the parents who feed it to the kids in excess and never make them work it off.

Smokes, like booze, weed, McDonalds and dark chocolate are a treat, the reason why it's a problem is because people have no fucking self control and somehow seem to block out individual thought and reason. Then they refuse to take responsibility for their actions.

For the record, if I think of every person I know who has smoked, none of them smoked clove ciggies and at least 70% would never have heard of them.
Old 07-18-2009, 10:41 PM   #9
Onyx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Canvas Corpsey View Post
I hate it when a product is banned or reduced because teens and their parents are too fucking stupid to keep on top of the issue on a personal level. It's like the whole childhood obesity thing being blamed on McDonalds and other fast food joints rather than the parents who feed it to the kids in excess and never make them work it off.

Smokes, like booze, weed, McDonalds and dark chocolate are a treat, the reason why it's a problem is because people have no fucking self control and somehow seem to block out individual thought and reason. Then they refuse to take responsibility for their actions.

For the record, if I think of every person I know who has smoked, none of them smoked clove ciggies and at least 70% would never have heard of them.
When I was still young enough that I knew any high school kinds, when I was 18-20 they hung out in same places I did in Berkeley and Boulder, there were only a couple of them that smoked cloves. Sometimes one of their friends, who were already smoking regular cigarettes anyway, would ask to try one and pretty much none of those could stand them. Pretty stupid to ban something in the name of teen smoking when so few teens smoke them and the ones that do started on normal cigarettes. Even with a clove ban the ones that smoke cloves will just switch back to regular cigarettes.

Anyway, the ban on cloves isn't a sure thing as of yet. Indonesia is filing an anti-trade suit due to menthol being exempted. Don't know how well it will work as things like WTO/UN Security Council are pretty much tools of more powerful governments to bully smaller countries.
Onyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 11:45 AM   #10
maggot

It has nothing to do with banning cloves. This isn't gothsploitation or anything.

From what I've gathered, this is mainly to get rid of bidi cigarettes, as smoking one bidi is the equivalent of smoking a full pack of normal cigarettes, and they're 2 bucks a pack (USD).
Old 07-19-2009, 07:33 PM   #11
Onyx

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggot View Post
It has nothing to do with banning cloves. This isn't gothsploitation or anything.

From what I've gathered, this is mainly to get rid of bidi cigarettes, as smoking one bidi is the equivalent of smoking a full pack of normal cigarettes, and they're 2 bucks a pack (USD).
That was just retarded. Bidi's are nothing like smoking a whole pack of cigarettes. The few articles I've been able to pull up say they have a little higher nic in em and higher tar, then again, they also say that they're all the rage which is total BS. I've met 20X more people that smoke cloves to bidis. The only thing this bill is about is making Congress look like their being tough on cigarette manufacturers while doing jack shit except piss off a small minority of an already despised minority while locking in Phillip Morris's market share.

If congress wanted to do something they would have included menthol in the ban and, at the least, thousands of black teenagers, with at least a few hundred white, would have instantly stopped smoking when Kools and Newports went off the market. Instead they exempt the one flavour that these teenagers will turn down a cigarette if it is not available. But not, doing something would piss a lot of people off. So instead, they do something that accomplishes nothing but take away something that a small number of people enjoy.
Onyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 07:52 PM   #12
Beneath the Shadows

Hooray, we learned nothing from Prohibition!

Dumb shits.

last.fm

Help my MiniCity grow
Help my MiniCity's industry
Beneath the Shadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 06:10 AM   #13
Renatus

Location: Back in Wisconsin(thinking about invading the south)
Why are they trying to ban this stuff yet legalize pot? They're being rather hypocritical.

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Renatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 12:29 PM   #14
Still Jack

Cloves aren't that good anyway. Most people just smoke them for aesthetic reasons.
Still Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 12:42 AM   #15
CptSternn

This is actually aimed at Phillip Morris. Did they nhot release their flavoured line everywhere in America?

In Virginia (where they are based) they offer chocolate, coffee, vanilla,orange, mint, and a few other flavoured cigarettes - all taste like candy and are aimed obviously at younger and new smokers.

Thats why they put this bill out there.
CptSternn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 06:26 PM   #16
KontanKarite

Sternn, obviously people can't do their jobs and keep kids from smoking.

Good thing mama state is looking out for our health, eh?
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 06:49 PM   #17
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptSternn View Post
This is actually aimed at Phillip Morris. Did they nhot release their flavoured line everywhere in America?

In Virginia (where they are based) they offer chocolate, coffee, vanilla,orange, mint, and a few other flavoured cigarettes - all taste like candy and are aimed obviously at younger and new smokers.

Thats why they put this bill out there.
Right, because adults never enjoy things that taste like chocolate or coffee.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 07:04 PM   #18
vindicatedxjin

FUCK the government....God I hate OBAMA...and CONGRESS...And every other cock sucker in the senate.
vindicatedxjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 07:33 PM   #19
Godslayer Jillian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindicatedxjin View Post
FUCK the government....God I hate OBAMA...and CONGRESS...And every other cock sucker in the senate.
I'm going to have a good time with this.
Care to elaborate?

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 07:36 PM   #20
ArchLich

From what I've seen based on the decisions Obama's administration has made thus far, it is appearent that he thinks governmental dictatorship is the only way to get things done the right way. And I'm gunna be standing right in front of the white house smoking a big fat blunt while the rioters are tearing the place apart, just like in the 60s.
ArchLich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 07:51 PM   #21
Godslayer Jillian

Ah, yes, how could we ever forget the time hippies stormed the White House to end LBJ's reign of dictatorial terror and his ban on flavored cigarettes.

-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Old 08-04-2009, 08:34 PM   #22
ArchLich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godslayer Jillian View Post
Ah, yes, how could we ever forget the time hippies stormed the White House to end LBJ's reign of dictatorial terror and his ban on flavored cigarettes.
lawl, I really do love how you take a simple comparison and anaylize the fuck out of it until it's completely out of context.
Old 08-04-2009, 08:39 PM   #23
Godslayer Jillian

I literally just copied what you tried to say.

-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Old 08-04-2009, 08:41 PM   #24
Lolly PopMuzik

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchLich View Post
lawl, I really do love how you take a simple comparison and anaylize the fuck out of it until it's completely out of context.
It's not a simple comparison if you try to portray a bill (A sucky one, sure) as a dictatorship and just come off looking like a twat in the process. Just saying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindicatedxjin View Post
Immature whining
I can already tell you won't last too long around here.
Old 08-04-2009, 08:50 PM   #25
ArchLich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolly PopMuzik View Post
It's not a simple comparison if you try to portray a bill (A sucky one, sure) as a dictatorship and just come off looking like a twat in the process. Just saying.

I can already tell you won't last too long around here.
In case you haven't noticed, Obama's actions are leading to complete governmental control over tobacco in america. If that's not dictating, then I dont know what is, and tobacco is just the beginning of his reign of control.

edit: Oh and to GSJ, my comparison was meant to outline the way hippies got things done in the 60's, protests using physical force, my mother and her friends once laid in the road at the tires of a huge truck carrying toxic waste to prevent it from dumping it into our water supply. I'm sorry you couldn't gather this on your own, but I dont mind elaborating for your convenience sometimes.