Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 05-08-2012, 11:07 PM   #76
Versus

I could consensually wake you up. <3
Had me creepin' 'round corners, homie sleepin' in my vest.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Versus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 11:09 PM   #77
Saya

but in my dreams you're here D:
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 11:20 PM   #78
Versus

Okay. I won't cock block you. Night. <3

-Breathin, Tupac.
Old 05-08-2012, 11:30 PM   #79
Solumina

You two are so unbelievably special, in the most awkward and adorable way possible.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 11:32 PM   #80
Versus

Saya has access to my account. She likes to troll me with shit like this.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Old 05-09-2012, 03:49 AM   #81
Elystan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
That's called being a person. And I share none of those characteristics nor preferences.
So, according to your logic, I can't be goth? Must goths like girls with crooked noses and thin lips? Where the hell does that even come from?

Or could it be possible that none of those things have jack shit to do with goth and now you're just saying whatever you like is goth and whatever you don't isn't?
God you're obtuse. I thought we were making progress for a second there.
Elystan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 04:10 AM   #82
Fathom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeless Rebellion View Post
*COUGH!*
Sorry, I am severely allergic to idiocy.

On a more serious note though, what exactly do you acomplish by pissing off every single core member on your first week here?
And what do you acomplish by being mean to someone who currently is where a lot of us probably were at one point?
Besides, in the duration of this thread, you hinted that if someone is not goth, they should not be here.
Well I am not goth, and I am not going anywhere.
You are really the only one who has shown that you do not belong here. You are vile, unnescessarily cruel and more ignorant than one person should be allowed to be.
It is not my intention to cause everyone to hate me. I stand up for truth, logic, and realism. If people choose to hate me, so be it, as the truth is often harder to swallow than deception, and therefore, given my vigilance, I'm used to it. If you're not goth, then yes, I would indeed question your reasons for being here, but I wouldn't say you shouldn't be here. What I WOULD say, however, is that you therefore have absolutely no business talking about what is and isn't goth, since you have absolutely no idea due to having no experience.
Fathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 06:19 AM   #83
Elystan

Disagree with the latter statement. Goth is primarily a term for non-goths to help categorise people and lump them together. Its precise boundaries will always be contentious.
Old 05-09-2012, 06:37 AM   #84
Fathom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elystan View Post
Disagree with the latter statement. Goth is primarily a term for non-goths to help categorise people and lump them together. Its precise boundaries will always be contentious.
I meant more along the lines of being able to determine whether a personality is goth or not, or whether the term goth applies to a personality or not, or whether one is born with it or not. Of course he can decipher the "gothiness" of items and/or looks.
Old 05-09-2012, 06:52 AM   #85
Fathom

Quote:
I guess what I mean, more specifically, is that to actually be a goth is a more in-depth idea than non-goths would usually realize. They can't understand what it is to be goth any more than someone else could understand what it is to be you. It's hard to explain, but for me, being goth is about tendency for and admiration of certain aspects of the world, the environment, social situations, views, items, and looks. I've never quite been able to find the words to describe what the gothic personality is, and of course the personality's attributes can vary from person to person, even though it's mostly the same, but if I had to compare myself as a goth to anyone, and I know this is cliche and highly stereotypical, but it would have to be Lestat. I honestly can't think of anything more similar to myself.
Old 05-09-2012, 07:35 AM   #86
Elystan

It's funny that I'm arguing for a more inclusively colloquial definition of goth and I'm recoiling at the mention of lestat.

Must overcome revulsion. That's an example of the large differences within the wider gothic collective. I maintain that goth as widely understood is largely separate from the mostly unrelated collection of bands which had the label retroactively applied to them. To speak of 'a goth' is not equivalent to speaking of a fan of one of the canonical gothic bands.
Old 05-09-2012, 07:42 AM   #87
Fathom

Quote:
It's funny that I'm arguing for a more inclusively colloquial definition of goth and I'm recoiling at the mention of lestat.
Like I said, I know it's cliche and highly stereotypical, but it's how I feel. I love Lestat and his personality. I too am a musician, I too seek to change the way society works itself, I too feel rejected and hold resentment in my heart for it, and his personality almost matches mine. So what if saying Lestat is goth is like saying Donald Trump is rich? I never said Lestat is the EPITOME of everything goth, I simply said that he is who I personally am similar to.
Old 05-09-2012, 07:54 AM   #88
Elystan

Oh no that's not what I meant. Like I said earlier I'm a total cliche myself but it's a different cliche, and part of my cliche is feeling superior to your cliche.

These people would have you believe there's nothing goth about vampires, and myself I've always found them a bit silly. I'm not at all a fan of gothic literature and the derivations thereof (I prefer high fantasy to gothic fantasy) but we can both be goths because it's a rather broad and loosely defined term.

We can make useful distinctions between different kinds of goth, and break those categories down further until all we're left with is individuals, but mostly you just know one when you see one.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:02 AM   #89
Fathom

Quote:
Oh no that's not what I meant. Like I said earlier I'm a total cliche myself but it's a different cliche, and part of my cliche is feeling superior to your cliche.

These people would have you believe there's nothing goth about vampires, and myself I've always found them a bit silly. I'm not at all a fan of gothic literature and the derivations thereof (I prefer high fantasy to gothic fantasy) but we can both be goths because it's a rather broad and loosely defined term.

We can make useful distinctions between different kinds of goth, and break those categories down further until all we're left with is individuals, but mostly you just know one when you see one.
I can agree with this, and I have my preferences in different kinds of fantasy depending on the situation. Example: in gaming, I prefer higher fantasy. In books, movies, and real life, I prefer the gothic genre. I've always been fascinated with vampires(fuck you if you think twilight is a vampire movie), and have always found them to be pretty much what the gothic personality revolves around. However, that's just me. Part of being goth is being open minded to things which vary, so I am.
Old 05-09-2012, 11:17 AM   #90
poisondawn

And you all get offended so easily by my comments? Isnt THAT sort of sad. I think it is, but thats MY opinion. So either like it or dont ike it, its not my choice or my problem.
poisondawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 11:27 AM   #91
Elystan

Quote:
Originally Posted by poisondawn View Post
And you all get offended so easily by my comments? Isnt THAT sort of sad. I think it is, but thats MY opinion. So either like it or dont ike it, its not my choice or my problem.
Misguided moral outrage is like a pastime for the core members here.

How you doin'?
Old 05-09-2012, 12:13 PM   #92
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versus View Post
Saya has access to my account. She likes to troll me with shit like this.
Peter, I KNEW you would deny me before the cock crows.
Old 05-09-2012, 12:34 PM   #93
Fathom

Quote:
Originally Posted by poisondawn View Post
I wasn't offended, just a tad tickled. You see, I believe you're a goth, I think you're just confused about how you came to be. It wasn't that you "became goth" at that age, you simply didn't realize you WERE goth until that age, but have always been deep down. Anyway, I have no quarrel with you.
Old 05-09-2012, 12:40 PM   #94
Saya

Maybe she caught the goth germs from her brother, ever think of that?!
Old 05-09-2012, 12:45 PM   #95
Fathom

Quote:
Misguided moral outrage is like a pastime for the core members here.

How you doin'?
I wouldn't really call any kind of "moral" outrage misguided, because morality itself is founded from logic, therefore, if an outrage is truly moral, then it is logical, and therefore not misguided .
Old 05-09-2012, 12:47 PM   #96
Elystan

Oh wait now I see the problem with him.

Ugh, carry on.
Old 05-09-2012, 12:48 PM   #97
MissCheyenne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya View Post
Maybe she caught the goth germs from her brother, ever think of that?!
Do you have to have face to face contact to catch goth germs or can you catch it through mind powers?

I am your slice of pie
MissCheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 12:49 PM   #98
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissCheyenne View Post
Do you have to have face to face contact to catch goth germs or can you catch it through mind powers?
Depends on whether you're a psychic vampire or not.
Old 05-09-2012, 12:50 PM   #99
Akykyshka

you are right

Your comments are very appreciated
Akykyshka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 12:52 PM   #100
MissCheyenne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya View Post
Depends on whether you're a psychic vampire or not.
I fucking KNEW it. I knew I couldn't just happen to like goth rock. No, psychic vampires got to me at some point during my youth, those sneaky bastards.

I am your slice of pie
MissCheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote