Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 01-28-2009, 03:51 PM   #1
Opteron_Man

I got some silver eyeshadow? Ideas?

There is a drug store near me that is moving to another location soon. I got some new silver eyeshadow there. They were originally about $10 each, but I got two of them for $12.

I usually just put a black outline arouond my eyelids, top and bottem. Then I smudge it a bit with my fingers. But like I said, I got my hands on some silver eye shadow.
I am thinking of experimenting with silver + black, or silver + blue.
I can't decide what to do. Any ideas?

Silver line around my eyes then black smudge? Or vice versa?
Opteron_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 04:12 PM   #2
Solumina

Try everything that you can think of, silver looks nicely with most other shades so any color combos should work, as for techniques I really don't know what your skill level is so I don't really know what to suggest.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 05:37 PM   #3
Opteron_Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solumina
Try everything that you can think of, silver looks nicely with most other shades so any color combos should work, as for techniques I really don't know what your skill level is so I don't really know what to suggest.
Quite frankly; I am not very skilled at all at applying eyeliner and stuff like that. I'd like to know how to do it properly. I have some silver eyeshadow, some black pencil eyeliner and some blue pencil eyeliner too.
I'd like to work with what I have, but since I can get most things really cheap at that drugstore, I will get whatever you suggest I need.
Old 01-28-2009, 06:01 PM   #4
Solumina

Get a good eyeshadow brush (two would be better, one being smaller to apply/blend shadow in more precise areas and one being broad for more coverage) as the little sponges that come with shadow tend to be useless crap. You may also want to get an angled brush which tend to be good for blending along the lash line and/or smudging your eyeliner. I'll try and get back to you about specific techniques later if no one else has given any input but I have a feeling that there are other members you could be more helpful.
-Carbon Leaf
Old 01-29-2009, 12:00 PM   #5
girasol

maybe just apply it to the whole of your lid and use black liquid eyeliner.
If not, you could use some black shadow to smudge near the end of your eyelid and use pencil eyeliner lightly underneath your eyes from where the lower lashes start towards the end.
Solumina is right, brushes are better than those shitty little sponge appliers. If the shadow is a loose powder o comes off onto the brush easily then try patting the eyeshadow on instead of brushing it across your lids - the eyeshadow sticks better.
girasol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 12:04 PM   #6
girasol

If you have trouble applying liquid eyeliner - then use one finger to press down on your eye - and just paint along the rim of your lashes slowly. if you screw it up use a wet cotton bud and get rid of excess liner.
girasol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 12:13 PM   #7
Solumina

Are you looking for more of a subtle look or do you want something a bit more dramatic?
-Carbon Leaf
Old 01-30-2009, 03:57 AM   #8
Serren

I also use a cotton bud when applying liquid eye liner. Someone once told me as well not to try and apply it in one swoop, which seemed to work better.

It might be an idea to try a more subtle look at first and just put the eye shadow round underneath the eye liner. Practice makes perfect.

Do you wear mascara as well?

If you're really unsure some beauticians will offer make up lessons and tell you how to apply it, but some are well dodgy with their fake tan and orangeness.
Serren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 05:56 AM   #9
Opteron_Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solumina
Are you looking for more of a subtle look or do you want something a bit more dramatic?
Yeah, something subtle, but a little in between. Not too over the top, I just want to ease into something different. Up untill now, I have just been doimg the tired old black outline and the subtle smudge. I just wanted to try something new. Malice mentioned something about silver eyeshadow, and I got some, but I didn't have a good plan as to what I was going to do.

I thank you warmly Solumina and everyone else for your help and advice. I apricate all of it. I am sorry, I meant to thank you sooner and much more often, but I am streached thin by the process of planning this long distance move to Toronto and wrapping up my things and organising my apartment.
But I wish to thank Solumina especially.
Old 01-30-2009, 11:22 AM   #10
Solumina

You're welcome. If you are going for a subtle look and are already somewhat used to wearing eyeliner then apply your eyeliner, take an angled brush or q-tip with silver shadown on it and smudge the eyeliner a bit. In my parsonal opinion it looks much better than the liner on its own an will give you a more subtle, less femine look than shadon on the whole lid.
-Carbon Leaf