Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 01-11-2009, 06:12 PM   #51
girasol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Canvas Corpsey
I'm personally put off by the copious amounts of blush/rouge that show up.

That sort of piercing is awesome, it's like a slightly more extreme version of skin embroidery...

On her face?

I think her makeup is well done
Its obvious it is there - but if you take a look at the rest of her portfolio - almost every single one of her images is amazing... well... in my opinion anyway

The stylist or hair stylist... or whoever was involved with that shoot . Anyway he/she has a similar image of this shoot in his/her portfolio - and the pierced area has not been cleaned up. I actually like that version even more because it is a little more disturbing and interesting.
girasol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 06:14 PM   #52
girasol

http://www.modelmayhem.com/pic.php?p...4&the_count=66

here. this is the image I was talking about.

I would definitely not be relaxed enough for the one on her neck though. I couldn't pierce her there... forget about being pierced there.
Old 01-11-2009, 08:00 PM   #53
girasol

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3489/...b6492b59_o.jpg

I am waiting for the rest of the shoot. This one needs something fixed.
Old 01-11-2009, 08:29 PM   #54
Solumina

The legs look a bit odd there, not really sure what but something is just off about them
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 08:31 PM   #55
girasol

it was uncomfortable
The chair had glass all over it and I was not sitting down.

cheers for honesty though
Old 01-12-2009, 03:22 PM   #56
Minyaliel

Quote:
Originally Posted by girasol
cute

I like the first two, and the one where you are leaning against the door (your face facing the right.)
Thanks! Yeah, I like those too. =) The second one is the very first picture from my first photo session ever. Oh, the memories...
I will always love you

- The Cure, "Love Song"
Minyaliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 04:58 PM   #57
MissGracie

I'd like to try modeling for clothing sites and stuff when I'm older, but it seems like it's very hard to get into? So many people do it, but everything I search about it gives the vibe it has to be your main career goal or something.
MissGracie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 05:04 PM   #58
girasol

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissGracie
I'd like to try modeling for clothing sites and stuff when I'm older, but it seems like it's very hard to get into? So many people do it, but everything I search about it gives the vibe it has to be your main career goal or something.

not really.
If you want to be big, and be paid for most of the work you do - hen yes. I guess you have to devote a lot of time to what you do.
You need to be stunning, reliable, and demonstrate your determination - it also helps if you are open minded and willing to do controversial things.

Otherwise a lot of the time - you get yourself places by networking with the right people. That might mean - you are extra nice to someone you don't particularly like.
Old 01-13-2009, 04:37 PM   #59
Catch

Being nice to people is good. However, making sure you deliver the image they want is more important. I have some experience in this and attractivness only goes so far.

I wrote a blog with tips for actors; however, it applies to anyone in the entertainment business. It could be better than some, because I'm still stuggling and remember all the weird things that successful people forget or don't want to talk about. BTW I get paying jobs.

http://acting76.blogspot.com/
Old 01-13-2009, 05:08 PM   #60
girasol

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catch
Being nice to people is good. However, making sure you deliver the image they want is more important. I have some experience in this and attractivness only goes so far.

I wrote a blog with tips for actors; however, it applies to anyone in the entertainment business. It could be better than some, because I'm still stuggling and remember all the weird things that successful people forget or don't want to talk about. BTW I get paying jobs.

http://acting76.blogspot.com/

Well that isn't really true... (The part where attractiveness only takes you so far.) If you are talking about life in general - then yes. But if you want to model and be compensated for what you do - not say $15 dollars for your time or TFP/CD but more than that - you need to be attractive. And it isn't enough for you to think so, other people need to think so.

If you do plus size modelling you still need to be attractive.

Film extras, or commercials for whatever - they might want someone slouchy and unhealthy looking. It depends who wants what. And if they know they could pick any other slob off the street who wants to do the job... no they will not pay you if they don't have to.

What kind of paying jobs do you get?
I am fit, tiny and know that by standards I could be a paid photographic model. Still whilst developing my own portfolio very rarely do I get compensated for anything except maybe a gift voucher or for digital copies of the images including retouched images.

However, I know a lot of photographers are willing to pay for their side projects which usually include some degree of nudity or something that isn't what everyone might be willing to do.
Then yes... size and shape and beauty may not matter. They go for art nudes - and if you are not doing something like that, are not signed and don't have a lot of experience - they could get someone else willing to model for them in clothing who does not expect to be paid.
Old 01-13-2009, 05:35 PM   #61
Catch

The thing is, most people in the entertainment fields are attractive. They also have to have "it" and be able to carry themselves on camera. If you ever watch "Top Model" they are all beautiful and skinny. When pitted against eachother having claw hands or only having one look become an issue.

There are also other issues. Most jobs are in California, DC or New York City. It cost more to live in the larger cities, three to four times higher. Then if going from a right to work state to a union state there is the barrier of getting a job. Until you can get into a union, you're probably not making enough to survive. However, SAG has union films all over the USA. If you can get in before moving, then it is better. However, the job markets are sagging, so this might be a better time to gain experience through amateur photographers. Then you might get a local manager that can arrange your move to another city and the work is guarenteed. That is probably the best situation.
Old 01-13-2009, 05:41 PM   #62
girasol

In regards to the first paragraph :

yeah. You often need to be able to pull of a variety of looks and people want to add something different to what they have already done.

As for 2nd paragraph:

I am not from the US. I thin we have different issues here. Canberra (where I am from) is a small little city despite it being the capital. I am not particularly interested in creating a mainstream portfolio - I will accept work just for the experience, compensation or to have worked with a great photographer. The people whose wok I admire are al in Melbourne, Sydney and Adelaide. You just need to be prepared to travel - sometimes he/she will pay for travel expenses - sometimes it will come out of your pocket. Photographers also expect to be paid if they are any good at what they do and you are not giving something exceptional back to them.

Networking. Important.
Old 01-13-2009, 05:46 PM   #63
Catch

Quote:
Originally Posted by girasol
Photographers also expect to be paid if they are any good at what they do and you are not giving something exceptional back to them.
Exactly, a person has to be on top of their game, because the directors, photographers and designers are trying to make money. You only make money when you help them make money. Being average or looking like you are posing for a family photo is not good.
Old 01-13-2009, 05:49 PM   #64
girasol

What have you been paid for ?
Old 01-13-2009, 05:56 PM   #65
Catch

Role in Warrior Gyrle Alliance and appearances in Animals, Oreska Band and so-on. I do the occasional student film, because acting jobs are slim in Salt Lake City. Helps keep me on my game.

It may surprise you, but I take a lot of time analyzing my appearance. Every detail counts. However, I lean toward humor. Just standing there and hoping I am projecting something isn't enough. Have to move the chin, do something with the eyes, avoid claw hand, project a wide array of emotions and so-on. Actually, have a modeling job coming up, but I don't count it until after the job is complete.