Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > TV, Movies, & Games

TV, Movies, & Games Talk about your favorite TV shows, movies, games, and other media here. Or don't. We don't want to tell you what to do or anything.

Old 07-25-2008, 12:35 PM   #26
Stormtrooper of Death

One of the best movies I've seen in a looooonnnnngggggg time.
Old 07-25-2008, 12:57 PM   #27
KontanKarite

http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1813453

A little something to scrutinize.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 08:35 PM   #28
bloomerbrigade

Are you sure the top clip was an official trailer as well, and not edited by someone online? Becauxse these are the only official trailers for the 1989 movie I could find:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AdEHOta-Uc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRqa4...eature=related

The only thing similar I could find to what you posted was someone putting the audio from the Dark Knight trailer over the 1989 movie:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zox_x...eature=related
bloomerbrigade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 07:41 AM   #29
LiUsAiDh

I just saw it yeaterday, it's now my joint favourite film. (Along with Donnie Darko) The only thing wrong with it was Batman himself. The Joker was so damn good, I was just bored when Batman came on. He didn't have an pazzaz (sp) and his character seemed undeveloped.

I also wanted the Joker to 'win' which I'm sure isn't the desired outcome. :S

Pie Jesu domine..... Donna eis requiem - *thwack*

'To become truly immortal, a work of art must escape all human limits: logic and common sense will only interfere. But once these barriers are broken, it will enter the realms of childhood visions and dreams.' - Giorgio de Chirico
LiUsAiDh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 08:15 AM   #30
Nightmare-Neverending

I Just saw the movie yesterday too, best movie I have seen in a while, I think they focused more on developing the Joker than Batman because Batman was already in the frist movie and they had the whole Gotham Night animated movie. I think they could have played up Harvey Dent a little more, but the Joker definitly was the best done character in the movie.
Nightmare-Neverending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 11:12 PM   #31
DarkGentleman

I absolutely LOVE this movie!! More realistic and intense too. I'd go see again and again.
DarkGentleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 05:01 AM   #32
Disaffected Shoelaces

Saw it yesterday. Verdict: flawed but brilliant.

First off, I'm amazed that a 12a got away with being so... sadistic. Heath Ledger was awesome and completely stole the show - the first thing I thought when I walked out was that his death is a loss to the acting world, as well as a tragedy for those who knew him. (I'd only seen him in A Knight's Tale, which was pretty crap.) Maggie Gylenhaal managed to pull off being likeable (quite a feat, as love-interests usually annoy the crap out of me). Christian Bale is always good. The writing was awesome, the effects were good.

I thought it was too long, and I didn't really like what they did with Dent. Okay, you'd be pissed and bitter, but leaving the Joker unharmed and going for the people who tried to save his girlfriend was a ridiculous touch. I kind of wish they'd just dropped that part altogether. Some of the fight scenes were shot so closely I couldn't really see what was going on towards the end.
Disaffected Shoelaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 06:03 PM   #33
KontanKarite

He was going to kill the joker. But the coin decided that he wouldn't die.

Two-face doesn't make his own choices. He relies on chance. He's merciful only when the coin says for him to be so. The joker was a part of his tragedy, but he was spared because he lucked out.

Old 07-30-2008, 06:06 PM   #34
JCC

Myself and Kontan should co-author a book about The Dark Knight, we fucking rule at this movie.
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 06:20 PM   #35
KontanKarite

Fuck yeah. Basically, an analysis of the ideas put forth from the movie. It would be awesome. I think the character studies would be amazing.

Old 07-30-2008, 06:25 PM   #36
JCC

We'd need to watch the film loads more though. ... Which sounds like a wet dream.
Old 07-30-2008, 06:51 PM   #37
KontanKarite

I would totally do that. I say watch the movie at least 3 times for each chapter we wrote. I think that'd be a bare minimum. I have a permaboner for this movie.

Old 07-30-2008, 11:44 PM   #38
Disaffected Shoelaces

Quote:
Originally Posted by KontanKarite
He was going to kill the joker. But the coin decided that he wouldn't die.

Two-face doesn't make his own choices. He relies on chance. He's merciful only when the coin says for him to be so. The joker was a part of his tragedy, but he was spared because he lucked out.
Yeah, I get that... it just didn't ring true. I generally thought thre whole Two-Face subplot was a bit weak and that the film could've done without it.

C'mon - after the Joker, who gives a shit about Dent?
Disaffected Shoelaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 11:53 PM   #39
KontanKarite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disaffected Shoelaces
Yeah, I get that... it just didn't ring true. I generally thought thre whole Two-Face subplot was a bit weak and that the film could've done without it.

C'mon - after the Joker, who gives a shit about Dent?

I sure as hell don't. But who knows? Two-face in the sequal may very well be a good one. But I fear that nothing can fill the shoes that is The Dark Knight.

Old 07-31-2008, 02:15 AM   #40
NightmareInShiningArmour

I loved this movie :P
The Joker is such a character! Ahh man. If I had a knife, I'd pretend to be him. Sports some mighty fine face paint too!
NightmareInShiningArmour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 02:31 AM   #41
Scareebowfairy

I adored the movie! I was in suspense from start to finish. It's been a while since I've seen a movie so well crafted. There's only one thing I'm sad about, who could replace Heath ledger? Who could bring such character to the Joker as he did? The next villain has to measure up!
Do you think they'll get another actor for the Joker? They'll have to bring in some new villains! Who do you guys think should be the next villain?
Scareebowfairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 03:59 AM   #42
LiUsAiDh

I'm seeing it again on friday, yaaaaaaaaay!

Pie Jesu domine..... Donna eis requiem - *thwack*

'To become truly immortal, a work of art must escape all human limits: logic and common sense will only interfere. But once these barriers are broken, it will enter the realms of childhood visions and dreams.' - Giorgio de Chirico
LiUsAiDh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 06:23 AM   #43
Madarame

Watched it last night, it was excellent. I did't enjoy Batman begins very much and didn't expect to like this muth either but it can easily be counted amoungst my favourite films.

As others have said already the Joker was excellent as was Heath Ledgers acting. I was somewhat unimpressed by Batman, but not for any specific reason I can think of. I felt he didn't quite "work", I don't know why, though I can say that I did't like the voice he used.
Madarame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 06:28 AM   #44
JCC

I might be going out with a friend tomorrow, but at the moment I'm thinking "Eh, fuck her, I'll go see Dark Knight again instead."

Old 07-31-2008, 09:44 AM   #45
Underwater Ophelia

I liked it overall, but I feel like Batman as a character is weak, and I HATE the actor who plays him.

I really feel he's the new Val Kilmer Batman.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 09:47 AM   #46
JCC

Christian Bale is awesome. In pretty much every film he's been in.
Old 07-31-2008, 10:32 AM   #47
Solumina

Over all I really liked the movie but there are a few things about it that kind of bugged me both about the movie itself as well as the acting. I usually love Christian Bale, but I didn't love him here, he was too stiff, and I really don't like his "public" portrayal of Bruce Wayne, I know he is supposed to seem like a rich playboy but I think he rings overly hollow. I also though that they made Dent way to focal and developed his character way to fast, I would have loved for him to have showed up as Two-Face in the next installment but I didn't really think Two-Face fit in so much in this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KontanKarite
I sure as hell don't. But who knows? Two-face in the sequal may very well be a good one. But I fear that nothing can fill the shoes that is The Dark Knight.
Didn't Dent kind of die though? Kind of hard to be in a sequel if you have been killed off.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 04:42 AM   #48
Valrys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solumina
Didn't Dent kind of die though? Kind of hard to be in a sequel if you have been killed off.
I read something the other day (can't remember where though) from someone who was quite high up when it came to making the movie, saying that they'd left it so that it was slightly open and that there was a possibility of him coming back.

After all, they never checked him for a pulse, you never saw his dead body at that nice speech they gave about him right at the end, and he'd already survived loosing half his face.

Also, that was possibly the best movie I've seen in a long time, or possibly ever. I wouldn't mind seeing that several more times, and I also thought the Joker was brilliant - I doubt they'll bring the joker back, as I doubt anyone could even mathc Ledgers performance
Valrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 05:35 AM   #49
blackwater1110

No way Two-Face is dead. He fell with Batman; if Batman can survive the fall, so can he. Assuming he tests well, he'll be back in the next one.

I really enjoyed the symbology used in this movie, especially dent's coin. The did an EXCELLENT job on the transition from Gotham's hero, protecting order and justice, to gotham's antihero, serving chaos and vigilantism--the coin metaphor was great, and I could probably buy the whole burning of half his face thing. What I couldn't buy was Joker's persuasion of Dent:

Joker: Hey, I just tried to kill you. Aren't you mad?

Dent: Yeah, I'd like to kill you.

Joker: OK, here's a gun. But wait, even though I tried to kill you and am responsible for the death of your girlfriend, don't you think you should take it out on everybody who tried to save her, instead of exacting justice like you have done during the rest of your adult life?

Dent:... Yeah, that sounds good.

I mean, hell, Anakin's transformation into Vader in Episode III was more realistic than this one. If Joker had such mad persuasion skills he could have done the same thing to Batman.

Speaking of which, did anyone else notice that Batman was nowhere near as cool in this one as he was in the original? I mean, yes, the building jumping part was sick, but that was really the only epic Batman part of the movie. The rest of the memorable moments were grabbed up by the Joker, so much so that, despite the I-got-beaten-as-a-child pubescent angsty bullshit, you practically cheered whenever he caused mayhem. The dynamic between Joker and "the Batman" is best summarized by the Joker's line:

The Joker: You just couldn't let me go could you? This is what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object. You truly are incorruptible aren't you? You won't kill me out of some misplaced sense of self-righteousness, and I won't kill you, because you're just too much fun. I think you and I are destined to do this forever.
Batman: You'll be in a padded cell forever.
The Joker: Maybe we can share one. Then we'll be doubling up the rate this city's inhabitants are losing their minds.

Batman's comeback is lame, and the Joker's is awesome. While Batman's just sort of going through the motions, the Joker is kicking ass and taking names. Batman even has to resort to invasion of privacy to get the job done--what a pussy. I don't want that in my government, and I don't want it in my superheros. Needless to say, Heath Ledger's death will leave an unfillable void, and if his character is brought back, I feel very sorry for the poor bastard who follows him.

/end Batman rant
blackwater1110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 08:47 AM   #50
JCC

Just saw The Dark Knight again.

It's not going to win an Oscar for Ledger's performance.

It's going to pretty much flush out the Oscars. Think about it:

Best Picture - Pretty good chance of winning this, The Dark Knight was insane.

Best Director - Yes. Christopher Nolan did a great job with the direction.

Best Original Screenplay - Most likely. The Joker's character was so well-written, amazing.

Best Adapted Screenplay - Not eligible.

Best Actor In A Leading Role - HEATH LEDGER WILL WIN THIS.

Best Actress In A Leading Role - The only woman I can think of is Maggie Gyllenhaal. She doesn't deserve to win, much as I like her.

Best Actor In A Supporting Role - Aaron Eckhart? Good chance.

Best Actress In A Supporting Role - Again, only woman I can think of is Maggie. Shouldn't really win this either.

Best Art Direction - Sadly no.

Best Cinematography - Strong maybe. The film was very well-shot and composed.

Best Film Editing - Again, strong maybe. Some of the cuts, the use of contrast between chaotic noise and silence, this was a very well edited film.

Best Visual Effects - The Mummy or Harry Potter or Hellboy or something will get this one.

Best Sound Mixing - This better be the fucking Dark Knight, the sound was incredible.

Best Sound Editing - Again, most likely Dark Knight.

Best Original Song - Eh, not likely.

Best Original Score - I should goddamn think so!

Best Costume Design - Eh, Joker's clothes were good and everything, Batman suit was alright, nothing amazing.

Best Make-up - Joker could well win that.

11/18 good chances there, 2 of which I'm not even sure that The Dark Knight would be eligible for. That's a pretty fucking good showing.