Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Introductions

Introductions This is a forum for members (new and old) to introduce themselves and get to know each other. Start a new thread and introduce yourself. Tell us a little about what you like and what you are into and such.

Old 02-15-2008, 01:18 AM   #26
Nevan

Mortal sin.

I typoed Siouxsie. How could I?

Alas! Must it ever be so?
Do we stand in our own light, wherever we go,
And fight our own shadows forever?
- Edward Bulwer-Lytton
Nevan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 03:02 AM   #27
Jidysi

I'm in Cape Town. I would go to Musica, but they only have rnb, hip-hop, and other such auditory insults.
Jidysi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 04:43 AM   #28
Nevan

Auditory insults indeed ... Looks like iTunes online is about to be your new best friend.

Alas! Must it ever be so?
Do we stand in our own light, wherever we go,
And fight our own shadows forever?
- Edward Bulwer-Lytton
Nevan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 06:47 AM   #29
Renatus

Location: Back in Wisconsin(thinking about invading the south)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jidysi

South Africa has the slowest rate of imports. You name it, we are the last country to get it, if ever. Half the bands You mention (one of them was named Sioux, I believe) I have never even heard of, that is how slow it is here.
That makes no sense when you consider that slipknot, Metallica, System, Cradle of Filth, and Rammstein all came after the early goth bands. Unless time goes backwards there you have had goth music there for awhile. Then there is also the internet.

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Renatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 06:55 AM   #30
KontanKarite

www.post-punk.com

I'm kinda evil about the "G" word. Go to that site. It has compilations of 100s of post-punk and industrial groups as well as links to 100s of post punk bands of the 80s all the way up to today.

I think you'll find post-punk to be so much better for your pallet. Welcome.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 07:58 AM   #31
viscus

Alright, alright. Sorry if I sounded a bit harsh. I've just grown tired of trying to be tactful about my hatred for metal.

Why did I assume you were a woman? Must have been the "bisexual pagan" bit. *slaps himself again*

"Now some of you may encounter the devil's bargain if you get that far. Any old soul is worth saving at least to a priest, but not every soul is worth buying. So you can take the offer as a compliment."

-William S. Burroughs

You're not entitled to your opinion.
viscus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 08:12 AM   #32
Tam Li Hua

The wiki article is a good place to start. Also, if you aren't sure what you like, you can always try internet radio sites such as Pandora, Radio Blog, or Slacker.

To be honest, I like a -great- variety of music, and that goes for Goth as well, but I -have- found a -great- deal more satisfactory music since being in the Goth scene. [I know this may get me crucified, but at times, the Bauhaus get on my nerves, because I don't usually like yelly, crazy-sounding music, unless I'm in a VERY bad mood..]

Anyways, welcome back!
Old 02-15-2008, 12:43 PM   #33
Jidysi

I'll forgive You Your harshness if You forgive me being so misled lol
The reason that You might have thought i was a female must have been because I come across as one. Not to mention- well, I'll save that bit of info for another day ^.^

Oh, and I hate to sound all "happy little squirrel man" like, but thank You for the welcomes lol
Old 02-15-2008, 01:20 PM   #34
Breathless Horror

I like/liked a lot of the metal you listed, so I'm going to suggest you hunt down Only Theater of Pain, by Christian Death. It was my first taste of Goth, and I've never looked back. Welcome to the boards.

A prank a day keeps the dog leash away - Jello Biafra

I want your skulls! I NEED your skulls! - Misfits
Breathless Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 03:37 PM   #35
Underwater Ophelia

Hey assholes--close your mouths, she seems fucking intelligent. Isn't that what we want here?

Wait, I'm sorry, that isn't what you're interested in, you guys don't mind idiots so long as they can name drop.
I forgot.

How about next time you politely mention she might enjoy goth rock, and stop trying to squash any hint of intelligence that might fly by here.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 03:55 PM   #36
KontanKarite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underwater Ophelia
Hey assholes--close your mouths, she seems fucking intelligent. Isn't that what we want here?

Wait, I'm sorry, that isn't what you're interested in, you guys don't mind idiots so long as they can name drop.
I forgot.

How about next time you politely mention she might enjoy goth rock, and stop trying to squash any hint of intelligence that might fly by here.
Your gigline's crooked and you need to polish those boots. BTW, your beret is on crooked.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 04:34 PM   #37
viscus

Quote:

I forgot.

Psst, he's a man.

"Now some of you may encounter the devil's bargain if you get that far. Any old soul is worth saving at least to a priest, but not every soul is worth buying. So you can take the offer as a compliment."

-William S. Burroughs

Old 02-15-2008, 06:13 PM   #38
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by KontanKarite
Your gigline's crooked and you need to polish those boots. BTW, your beret is on crooked.
I reached into my pants and sillied up my gigline myself, so hush.

And I don't care what gender the thing is. It's intelligent, so leave it alone.
Old 02-15-2008, 10:10 PM   #39
viscus

I'll fucking kill you.

-William S. Burroughs

Old 02-16-2008, 05:47 AM   #40
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by viscus
I'll fucking kill you.
Is that aimed at me?
I'm not really sure how to respond to that.
Old 02-16-2008, 06:21 AM   #41
Apathy's_Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormtrooper of Death
Wrong! Check out the fucking music forum. None of those are goth bands. Go to wikipedia and fucking learn. While you are at it fill out the bleeding questions!
Sheesh, man, calm the fuck down. People move in different circles, and learn different things from the people in them. Maybe where she's from, that's what the people who call themselves goths listen to. If she's wrong then can't you just suggest some bands she could check out, minus the attitude?

Witches have no wit, said the magician who was weak.
Hula, hula, said the witches. - Norman Mailer
Apathy's_Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 09:18 AM   #42
viscus

Quote:
Is that aimed at me?
I'm not really sure how to respond to that.
I was being facetious.

-William S. Burroughs

Old 02-16-2008, 11:17 AM   #43
Cyberbat

Welcome to the boards.

Guessing from your music list I would suggest more industrial bands than goth.

And One, Carphax Files, Tragic Black, Combichrist, VnV Nation. I recommend these for starters. You can find samples all over the place, just run a search.

Thank the gods for the internet. ^_~
Cyberbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 12:30 PM   #44
Jidysi

Apathy, Ophelia, as much as I enjoy being called intelligent *tries to recover from the shock* and as much as I appreciate that defence, Viscus has apologised.
lol I think this thread should be locked up within the next day or two; heaven knows what we might move onto next if we're already onto death threats >.<
Old 02-17-2008, 12:40 PM   #45
mindless1

Welcome.

Hey I like paganism. It's really fascinating and actually I've been pretty into it for some time now. I like mindnmagick.com. It's a cool site if you've heard of it. I personally don't find that you have to listen to certain bands to be considered "goth" but I guess that's all a matter of preference. I listened to the Bauhaus until they drove me NUTS. I mean is MM considered Goth? LOL. You know what? I don't know....
I love Tori Amos...she can be pretty dark sometimes...so yea, welcome!!!
Old 02-17-2008, 01:35 PM   #46
Bete Noire

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindless1
Welcome.

Hey I like paganism. It's really fascinating and actually I've been pretty into it for some time now. I like mindnmagick.com. It's a cool site if you've heard of it. I personally don't find that you have to listen to certain bands to be considered "goth" but I guess that's all a matter of preference. I listened to the Bauhaus until they drove me NUTS. I mean is MM considered Goth? LOL. You know what? I don't know....
I love Tori Amos...she can be pretty dark sometimes...so yea, welcome!!!
Goth is a musical genre. So yes, to "be" goth you would have to listen to AND actually like goth bands.

And no MM is not goth.

To the OP: Welcome.
Bete Noire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 01:38 PM   #47
mindless1

Ok, well then I guess I've been a goth for a long time now. So why pretend I'm not, right? Why try to hide it?
Old 02-17-2008, 02:15 PM   #48
Tam Li Hua

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindless1
Ok, well then I guess I've been a goth for a long time now. So why pretend I'm not, right? Why try to hide it?
Good question.

Though I tend to think you can enjoy the music without taking on all that the name Goth personifies, personally; I tend to think of a Goth as someone that not only likes the music, but also has a love for the darker, spoookier things in life: horror movies, 'dark' novels, a bedroom decorated in fake skeletons, bats, and spiders, a darker-colored, somewhat more elaborate wardrobe and make-up than the 'normal' person [or at least an appreciation for such things].

Indeed, it was the fashion and the 'dark' aspect which first drew me; I found out about the music only after I started researching what "Goth" actually meant.

I don't regret indulging myself in the Goth subculture, and am quite frankly relieved to at last have a one-word description to tell people what I am into. [though I know there are those who vastly disagree with that].