Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 09-26-2006, 06:14 AM   #251
chelseagirl

It's very hard to pull off black lipstick. IMO, I've never seen anyone in public who was wearing it and it actually looked good.
Old 09-26-2006, 07:03 AM   #252
bleedingheart344

Quote:
Originally Posted by chelseagirl
It's very hard to pull off black lipstick. IMO, I've never seen anyone in public who was wearing it and it actually looked good.
So I've heard, but would there be any other shades that I could pull off and have it look good, since I am a guy.
Old 09-26-2006, 12:07 PM   #253
chelseagirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedingheart344
So I've heard, but would there be any other shades that I could pull off and have it look good, since I am a guy.
I'm probably not really the right person to ask, as I'm not really into lipstick on guys (unless it's for an artsy photoshoot possibly). That's not to say there's anything wrong with it of course. Have you ever seen the move Gypsy 83? The male character, Clive, wears lipstick (various shades) in a large part of the move. Maybe you could check that movie out to get some ideas. It's a really cute movie, and Clive's character is adorable.
Old 09-26-2006, 12:13 PM   #254
chelseagirl

Also, as a more toned down option to black lipstick, Manic Panic and also Black Radiance (you can buy Black Radiance at most drug stores) have a lot off the wall, but not quite so "in your face", colors. I have one that's are a greyish/silverish/purple, and one that's a greyish/silverish/blue. I think that those might look pretty good on a guy.
Old 09-26-2006, 12:19 PM   #255
c130

Quote:
Or would I be best just to give up on the lipstick idea?
I personally never really found lipstick on guys terribly attractive (though take this with a pinch of salt considering I'm A). My own suggestion would be to use your clothes rather than makeup to create your image, and only use makeup conservatively to help add to the overall effect your outfit creates.

I guess I'm saying, what look are you going for? You may not need to use any makeup at all to hit it spot-on.
Old 09-26-2006, 03:14 PM   #256
She_Is_My_Sin

I think certain guys can only carry off lipstick, really pretty, feminine boys. But if you & the lipstick won't work perhaps try working on the eyes. Pretty eyes are always a lovely feature.
She_Is_My_Sin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 03:42 PM   #257
bleedingheart344

Quote:
Originally Posted by c130
I personally never really found lipstick on guys terribly attractive (though take this with a pinch of salt considering I'm A). My own suggestion would be to use your clothes rather than makeup to create your image, and only use makeup conservatively to help add to the overall effect your outfit creates.

I guess I'm saying, what look are you going for? You may not need to use any makeup at all to hit it spot-on.
Here's the thing, so far I don't really have an 'image' I just go with what I like, the victorian makeup style was kind of a hypothetical thing, because I've been on the fence about actually going for a style in particular.
Old 09-26-2006, 07:09 PM   #258
Cicero

Bleedingheart: You know you don't actually have to choose one style, right? Just wear whatever takes your fancy; there's no need to fall into one particular category. If you like Victorian clothing, wear it. If the next day you're in more of an 18th century mood, wear that. There's no need for consistency - and in my opinion it's just no fun that way.

What sorts of things are you interested in trying out? My suggestion: try them all at once. See what you come up with. It'll no doubt be far more unique than if you just chose one.

My Etsy store: www.Cicero1334.etsy.com

[And check out 1334 while you're at it: www.myspace.com/club1334 ]
Cicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 03:13 AM   #259
bleedingheart344

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicero
Bleedingheart: You know you don't actually have to choose one style, right? Just wear whatever takes your fancy; there's no need to fall into one particular category. If you like Victorian clothing, wear it. If the next day you're in more of an 18th century mood, wear that. There's no need for consistency - and in my opinion it's just no fun that way.

What sorts of things are you interested in trying out? My suggestion: try them all at once. See what you come up with. It'll no doubt be far more unique than if you just chose one.
Thanks for the help everyone, just wanted to take a moment and say that, because I really do appreciate it. I know I don't have to choose one style in particular, I mean I do want to try out many styles, the thing is is that finances may not allow that. I mean, of course I've found tons of clothing I like online, but the prices are just too steep, probably only for the moment though, but they are. I'll just keep up the searching and see what I can pull up. Thanks, Cicero.
Old 09-27-2006, 05:38 AM   #260
V.I.R.U.S<3

im confused you just need to find your own sense of style to makeup thers no right or wrong
V.I.R.U.S<3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 06:07 AM   #261
Cicero

Quote:
Thanks for the help everyone, just wanted to take a moment and say that, because I really do appreciate it. I know I don't have to choose one style in particular, I mean I do want to try out many styles, the thing is is that finances may not allow that. I mean, of course I've found tons of clothing I like online, but the prices are just too steep, probably only for the moment though, but they are. I'll just keep up the searching and see what I can pull up. Thanks, Cicero.
You're welcome

I understand your situation as I've been in it myself many times. If there are any interesting stores near you (as opposed to online ones) perhaps you could just go along and try a few things on, and experiment a bit before actually buying anything. It'll help narrow your choices and you'll find out what you're most comfortable in. Also try only to invest in flexible items that'll go in as many outfits possible - e.g. a plain white cravat shirt that'll match anything rather than a fancy coloured one that may not. Sorry if this all sounds a bit obvious... I'm a sucker for helping people in need of fashion advice! (And this is extremely off-topic for a makeup thread, haha... nevermind.)

Good luck with the style-finding

My Etsy store: www.Cicero1334.etsy.com

[And check out 1334 while you're at it: www.myspace.com/club1334 ]
Cicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 12:25 PM   #262
bleedingheart344

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicero
You're welcome

I understand your situation as I've been in it myself many times. If there are any interesting stores near you (as opposed to online ones) perhaps you could just go along and try a few things on, and experiment a bit before actually buying anything. It'll help narrow your choices and you'll find out what you're most comfortable in. Also try only to invest in flexible items that'll go in as many outfits possible - e.g. a plain white cravat shirt that'll match anything rather than a fancy coloured one that may not. Sorry if this all sounds a bit obvious... I'm a sucker for helping people in need of fashion advice! (And this is extremely off-topic for a makeup thread, haha... nevermind.)

Good luck with the style-finding
Thank you very much. And, the only stores that are near me are Hot Topic and some small store that only sells boots.
Old 09-28-2006, 10:56 AM   #263
chelseagirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiinu
:: grins :: Makeup amuses me...

I hate foundation and coverup... I don't use any of it ever...

But I'm good with creative use of eyeliner when I want to be...

A Kitty look... (I have ears on, you just can't see)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...e/HPIM0134.jpg

Uhm... I have no idea but it ended up looking neat... please ignore my sisters err... whatever she did (I'm on the right)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...e/ae0b62df.jpg

You could always go with making your makeup match your hair... sorry you can't really see the blue shimmery stuff...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...i/HPIM2524.jpg
I'm genuinely not trying to be mean Kiinu, but your makeup looks really bad. I know if I was young, and doing my makeup that badly, I would want someone to tell me before I went out in public looking like that. why don't you try something a bit simpler and more understated. All the drawings around the eyes (spiderwebs, etc.) is so cliched, and truthfully, near impossible to pull off with it actually looking good. if you're going to try it, at least use liquid eyeliner, not pencil eyeliner (unless the point is very sharpened). I used to think black lipstick was just about the worst, but now I was wrong...partially filling in your lips in black is even worse. You have very light hair, so all the dark makeup you wear is going to stand out even more than it would on someone with dark hair. Less can be more.
Old 09-28-2006, 02:00 PM   #264
chelseagirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockandrose
Make-up worn to mask one's insecurities or worn to feel better about oneself is different, to make-up worn as a form of art, or as a way of expressing oneself not based on insecurities.

Make-up "can" be a form of art.

Have you ever checked out LimeCrime.net? The makeup tutorials over there really are works of art. A lot of them are more like "photoshoot" makeup rather than everyday makeup, but they're beautiful. That girl has got some talent, that's for sure.

www.limecrime.net

You have to scroll down and click on one of the "new makeup tutorial" links. Then, at the bottom of that tutorial, there are links to many other tutorials.

Sorry, I can't like directly because of the wierd frames on the site...
Old 09-28-2006, 06:16 PM   #265
Kiinu

yeh... I've noticed the eyeliner looking a bit freakish since the hair bleaching... It was dark blue and purple ^.^;

Thanks for not being mean about it though

And my eyeliner is luquid... just REALLY crappy... haha
Kiinu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 11:48 AM   #266
RadioactiveFrog

I always have a problem with eyeliner. If I put it on the bottom lid, I have to put it on the little ledgy bit to stop it from looking awful. In about half an hour this smudges down my face so it looks like I haven't slept for weeks.

If I put eyeliner on the top lid I put it directly above my lashes, however then my eyeliner seems like a random line on my lid, and not like an extension of my lashes. I really don't know what I'm doing wrong; I always use a sharp pencil...any advice?
RadioactiveFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 11:58 AM   #267
She_Is_My_Sin

Ooh I can help with the uper lid stuff!

See in my diagram (which is really scientific) many people draw a little bit above where the eye lashes grow out. You need to angle the pencil so that you can fill that bit in, or before applying eyeliner, cover with a dark shadow, so that the gap is less noticable.

I can't draw too well on paint, but if you meant that there's a region above the lash line in which eyeliner will not go, that's what my advice is for.

Well I hope that's helped a little bit.
Old 09-30-2006, 12:07 PM   #268
RadioactiveFrog

Oooh...I think I see. I might need to get a better eyeliner as well...mine was about a pound from Tesco...it smudges very rapidly when I don't want it to, and stays exactly put when I'm trying to remove it or be decorative.
Old 09-30-2006, 12:12 PM   #269
She_Is_My_Sin

Yeah lower quality eyeliner always tends to be a bit difficult. But the cheapy Tesco nail varnish is rather good
Old 09-30-2006, 12:13 PM   #270
PoupeeCelestia

Location: Lapiland =) quite a nice place with purple mountains and that kind of stuff...
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioactiveFrog
I always have a problem with eyeliner. If I put it on the bottom lid, I have to put it on the little ledgy bit to stop it from looking awful. In about half an hour this smudges down my face so it looks like I haven't slept for weeks.

If I put eyeliner on the top lid I put it directly above my lashes, however then my eyeliner seems like a random line on my lid, and not like an extension of my lashes. I really don't know what I'm doing wrong; I always use a sharp pencil...any advice?
What kind of eyeliner are you using?...=S...maybe thatīs the problem...the liquid one stays longer....

Hereīs a link Iīll like to share =)
http://forthedead.net/flowers/tasha/eyes/
PoupeeCelestia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 12:23 PM   #271
She_Is_My_Sin

Thank you for sharing that! Very interesting. It's gave me a new approach to my eyeliner styles.
Old 09-30-2006, 12:27 PM   #272
RadioactiveFrog

Right, I'm getting me some liquid eyeliner as soon as possible! Some of the pictures on that site are a bit...um...arty?...for my style but the ones second from last on the first page (saying Disturbed Angel on them) look pretty well applied.
Old 09-30-2006, 01:15 PM   #273
DarkHeartedDemoness

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioactiveFrog

It really helps if you use liquid on your top lashes. Not only is liquid eyeliner typically darker than pencil (which is nice and lash-defining) but the liquid will run -slightly- and it will probably fill in your lash line better.

The bottom lid thing is because you're likely using a grease-based liner. Many times eyeliner companies will add certain ingredients to make their liner go on better, but what ends up happening is that although the liner goes on easily, it smears even more easily. You need to search for a better brand, doll.
DarkHeartedDemoness is offline   Reply With Quote