Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 10-28-2007, 07:27 PM   #151
electrosexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by suicidalXemo
im confused about life
Just kill yourself then you won't have a life to be confused about
electrosexual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 08:13 PM   #152
ForgetThisLostLenore

The emo hairstyle: More effective than a paperbag.

I have a shirt I painted as a joke one day. Just randomly says "I found Emo" and shows an emo fish in a bowl, with a weird cartoon-y girl looking in.

But some of these people... They either come out and say "I'm emo, look at the cuts on my arm!" or they claim to be goth. At least they do this in my school. And then I get bunched in with them, and it's just slightly annoying, because one in my PE class stalks me. And tells stories of her recent "drowning session." She also supposedly cuts herself. At least she doesn't tell people she places her cuts on her legs so no one sees. And then shows them the cuts.

Now I'm just ranting. I'm sorry, good people, for the long and evil rants. They just annoy me to no end.
ForgetThisLostLenore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 10:26 AM   #153
Edward Strange

Can't forget the bondage trousers! >< I'm wearing my solitary pair now, bought back in my wannabe days. They used to have chains on them, but I removed them in disgust one day when I got fed up of making a melody as I walked along...

I will say though that some bondage trousers are pretty nice, but yes, I do find the rather large number of bondage trousers floating around rather bothersome. It would be nice to see some brocade ones from time to time, but there we are.

I like to think there are 'proper goths' still floating around in the South West (me for example, until I went to university) and rather sadly very few people there abouts know who Switchblade Symphony are. Let alone like them, Goth music being something of an acquired taste at the best of times.
Not wishing to blow my own horn by saying I'm a proper Goth because after all, what is a proper Goth?
And why does it really matter? All Goth really is is a bunch of people in black clomping around to the Sisters of Mercy.

A-nyway.
Should you ever find yourself in Camden Town, London, I feel your opinion will radically change.
Also, should you ever find yourself in Slimelight, Angel, see above statement.

My thoughts on Emo should hopefully follow in the near-distant future, however, I'm afraid to say I need food.

Breathing heard just below the floorboards.
The sense of something terrible rousing itself from
from its torpor.
Edward Strange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 04:19 PM   #154
Edward Strange

And I've just realized I was answering with a witty come back to a post 6 pages ago...

You will have to pardon me moment of A) Double posting and B) failing to notice this rather obvious mistake. I will of course, join the French Foreign Legion at once.

Anyway, I found myself watching something called Emo Watch (LIVE!) on the Y-Tube the other day at the request of a friend. While indeed it was a piss take and parts of it were funny... It was perhaps a stark reminder of how much we have come to loathe emos for being (as far as we can see, a little misguided).
Quotes will now follow.
*Interviewing a crowd of Emos* "I was once in Basra! And it wasn't nearly as bad as this! Back to you!"
"Thankyou, Emos really are... Filth."

It made me laugh in a sort of "you can't say that!" sort of way.
I can't help but feel we are being far to critical of Emo and it's damned sproglets.
Yes, it seems to be where most of the alterna-teens hang out now (which is fine by me), but alot of the abuse given them is abuse that we ourselves are used to, so a bit of the old solidarity would be nice, yeah?

I always thought that Goths were nicely lovely friendly open minded and accepting people. And I'm very thankful to say for the most part they are indeed. However, once I came to the revelation not all Goths are the fluffy wonder bunnies my mind made them out to be, it makes me a little... Disappointed when I see such a large number of people who claim to be different from the bleeting masses of Asstopia do a prompt about turn and join in the fun when they realize they arn't the butt of the joke anymore.
Not that I'm innocent myself, I'm as guilty as the next man of Emo-bashing because quite frankly, I don't get it.
Is there anything -to- get? Is it just a collection of negative stereotypes everyone follows because no-one else has any idea what else to do?
And also the whole self-harm thing made me a little... Upset. As an ex-self harmer and dedicated self harm awareness supporter I can't help but feel a little miffed when a big group of alterna-tards turn up with words carved into their flesh because they feel it would the wittiest come back to a cruel and un-caring world that doesn't understand them.

As if the image of self-harmers wasn't bad enough. Not only now is it a taboo, it's also now a joke to be made fun of, which p*sses me off royally.

However, I feel the time has come for me myself to make an about turn myself and do something decent with my time (in addition to all the other decent things I'm doing with my time) and stop being critical of Emo.
We're all in the same alternative boat after all surely? We might not like each other but the least we can do is try to co-exist without trying to skull-f*ck the other factions. Which seems fair to me.
Call me a romantic but I've always just assumed all alternative people just get along.
See reference to fluffy super-bunnys above.
As this is sadly not true I shall try my best to make it true in my own small corner of insanity.

And yes, while the self-harm issue boils my blood somewhat, it isn't really as universally spread as people think, nor is it a new phenomenon. A little while ago parents and teachers were more than a little worried that teenage friends would end up coping each other and trying to out do each other in little 'Cutter's Clubs'.
So while it is hardly new or widespread, it is an issue we must address. Despite what anyone else might think and un-comfortable we are with the 'attention-whore' breed of self-harmer, hurting yourself isn't a natural thing to be doing. It's part of why people are so iffy about talking about it. So the fact someone feels they need to injure themselves to fit in or be popular is cause for concern and makes the individual worthy of any help I can give in my humble opinion.

Perhaps I'm offering more than I can deliver I don't know, and as far as I know the whole emo/self-harm thing is just a very breif phase the initiates get into, find they don't like it and stop rather sharpish (pardon the rather poor pun).

Anyway.
Personally, I feel Emo won't last. Because I don't really see what there is -to- last. The burning question of if there is Emo after thirty will have to wait a few years but I have a suspicion the answer will be a resounding 'no'.

Sorry if I sounded preachy at all and if I ended up rambling again (as I often tend to do).

Breathing heard just below the floorboards.
The sense of something terrible rousing itself from
from its torpor.
Edward Strange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 04:25 PM   #155
ForgetThisLostLenore

It'll last just as long as any of the other trends, otherwise being not too long. Remember when all these "emos" were skaters, and before that... All these people just follow the alternative trend at the time.
ForgetThisLostLenore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 09:00 AM   #156
Rosie

Emo is a pretty empty style.
Rosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 07:45 AM   #157
Darkknight

Personaly althought I think overall emo is kinda superficial I don't join the "emo hatred genocyde wish". Unlike chavs, they are not troublemaking nor provocating althought talking to them after sometimes makes me despises them.
I don't want to sound humanitarian but they already suffer from others and I also get hostilities from society as what people call me a goth(not rejecting althought I label myself as nihilist when I need too)
Out of my experience a couple emos have been attracted to me, but dont found anything really interesting nor charming in them. To conclude, emos are far less annoying then chavs the world is full of superficial people but those pretty passive are more tolerant then the actif dumb ones
Darkknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 05:18 AM   #158
Murasaki eyeliner

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godslayer Jillian
This should be on the Whining thread. Though actually, it shouldn't, as there are many threads about us ranting about emos and overall teenagers.
dont emo bash,it makes u look stupid and the emo has anouther excuse to cry

seriously tho why do people round here have such a downer on emos?

"Between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before."
-Mae West
Murasaki eyeliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 06:22 AM   #159
Nytekiss~

wow.. what an interesting thread. I myself was a little unklear on 'what' an Emo was.
I see this kommunity go back and forth bashing and accepting.. flaming and defending.. its very konfusing. i see Edward Strange throw out a very meaningful post on his ideal of what Goth is.. using words lyke accepting, and open mynded..
and then i see in other threads how quickly this kommunity lunges at each others throats for 'not being goth'.. or not knowing what goth is.. or not using the word ryte goth word.. or whatever.. and it all leads to one big meltdown where one of your own are hopelessly driven off to seek acceptance elsewhere... Hell. i was wondering over my own introduktions.. if tryal by flame is normal around here... Just bekuz i chose to spell differently.. Is it that hard to accept differences? I'm not a stranger to flames.. i dont' mynde all that much.. but it makes me wonder.. is it that hard to look past what isn't lyke YOU... i'm not talking to anyone in partikular, or trying to pick on this syte per say.. we all are flawed.. every komunity has its issues with hypokracy... its just bizaar to see such klear kut kases for it.. when its the very thing that many of your are vehemently against...
I'm sure that i'm ryling someone up to give me the 3rd degree.. so i'll stop now before i dig too deep~
Nytekiss~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 06:40 AM   #160
Nytekiss~

sorry for all the mistakes.. posting whyle half asleep.. i just reread and i feel horrible now.~ more ammo for the next poster i suppose..
Nytekiss~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 06:50 AM   #161
Renatus

Location: Back in Wisconsin(thinking about invading the south)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murasaki eyeliner
dont emo bash,it makes u look stupid and the emo has anouther excuse to cry

seriously tho why do people round here have such a downer on emos?
He wasnt emo bashing in that post, nor do I recall him ever doing such a thing. He was merely citing previous threads about emo in this forum. Down in Mexico where they seem to be having anti emo riots he has even pledged to defend any emo he sees being beaten up. Read the post a bit more closely next time.

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Renatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 07:48 AM   #162
Bete Noire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nytekiss~
wow.. what an interesting thread. I myself was a little unklear on 'what' an Emo was.
I see this kommunity go back and forth bashing and accepting.. flaming and defending.. its very konfusing. i see Edward Strange throw out a very meaningful post on his ideal of what Goth is.. using words lyke accepting, and open mynded..
and then i see in other threads how quickly this kommunity lunges at each others throats for 'not being goth'.. or not knowing what goth is.. or not using the word ryte goth word.. or whatever.. and it all leads to one big meltdown where one of your own are hopelessly driven off to seek acceptance elsewhere... Hell. i was wondering over my own introduktions.. if tryal by flame is normal around here... Just bekuz i chose to spell differently.. Is it that hard to accept differences? I'm not a stranger to flames.. i dont' mynde all that much.. but it makes me wonder.. is it that hard to look past what isn't lyke YOU... i'm not talking to anyone in partikular, or trying to pick on this syte per say.. we all are flawed.. every komunity has its issues with hypokracy... its just bizaar to see such klear kut kases for it.. when its the very thing that many of your are vehemently against...
I'm sure that i'm ryling someone up to give me the 3rd degree.. so i'll stop now before i dig too deep~
When someone come along and says they like goth rock, and then proceeds to give examples such as Evanescence, COF and Slipknot, for example, it isn't really suprising that they're going to be called up on it. There is a pretty clean cut definition of what goth music is, and the characteristics of it, and when someone displays ignorance like that, they are going to be corrected. It's not a lack of open-mindedness that makes us do it.

And I don't really see many people "lunging" at each others throats because they're not gothic.

In response to the " the kommunity goes back and forth, flaming and defending" in a community as large and diverse as this, there are always going to be people who disagree with each other.

If we all held precisely the same values and opinions this place would be quite boring.
Bete Noire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 09:15 AM   #163
crucifix

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Rose-Of-Your-Promise-X
There is a new fashion that is sweeping englands youth...it is called emo, and I fucking hate it, and wannabe goths that think they are goth because they listen to slipknot and wear black...I thought I would discuss my outrage at this, and see who else agrees with me. I think one reason there are less 'real' goth teenagers is because there are so many kids dressing in clothes brought from the high street shops that have no creativity, therefore, if teenage goths were to make their own clothes and wear outlandish things they would be maybe bullied by other teenagers. This is just what im thinking right at this moment. There are no people our age dressing goth properly for kids that can not do things for themselves to make examples of themselves. I don't know what im trying to say but bleh. I had to get this out of my system.
That is how I feel about emos, they are fine and dandy all on there own, but they are not goth. They are not the "new" goth (there is no such thing as "new" goth). If you're emo, you're emo; if you're goth, you're goth; there is a major difference. BTW, I really don't like hot topic. I think it is kinda cheesy and everything I have attempted to buy there in the past has been really cheap and fallen apart kinda fast.
crucifix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 06:42 AM   #164
Grimm

Emos are the spoiled brats that are too spooled up in themselves to say they're preps. They want to be "Rebelious." They want the attention goths get when they are seen in public. But what PISSES ME OFF THE MOST
Is that all the fucking ignorant mainstream sociests (AKA "normal" people) have their head too far up their ass to tell the difference between goth and emo. I've been LITERALLY spit on at least 5 times by passing cars on the street with some dumbass screaming "EMO! EMO!" and making motions of wrist-cutting. God, if i wansn't pacifist.... *inhale, exhale*....
Grimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 01:38 PM   #165
crucifix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimm
Emos are the spoiled brats that are too spooled up in themselves to say they're preps. They want to be "Rebelious." They want the attention goths get when they are seen in public. But what PISSES ME OFF THE MOST
Is that all the fucking ignorant mainstream sociests (AKA "normal" people) have their head too far up their ass to tell the difference between goth and emo. I've been LITERALLY spit on at least 5 times by passing cars on the street with some dumbass screaming "EMO! EMO!" and making motions of wrist-cutting. God, if i wansn't pacifist.... *inhale, exhale*....
yup, this one guy I know always makes wrist cutting motions at me when he sees me. Sad thing is, I really do have an issue with self injury. I have had it for a LONG time before I became interested in the goth subculture and goth music. It has absolutely nothing to do with one another. Anyhoo, he also screams emo at me all the time. asswipe.
crucifix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 12:36 PM   #166
XxBloodyrosexX

Yeah, the whole "emo" problem. *sigh* It's (at least in south central PA.) is people thinking if someone crys, weares heavy eyeliner, black, etc. and CUTS they are "emo". seriously preps are running around calling ppl emo cause they have a skull on their jacket. or and FACE PAINTING STANDS(yeah i was their, my art teacher told me to, i do like her, she's the nices teach at my school) if they ask for a "jolly rodger' they say, yeah i want that, but i'm no emo!" Basically emo is a way for nonunderstanding preps to buch goths, punks meatalheads, and all ppl that aren't preps together and make it sound as if they are cutters. it's sad. And I do enjoy listening to jimmy eat world.
XxBloodyrosexX is offline   Reply With Quote