Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 10-05-2008, 05:52 PM   #76
MegearaErotica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker_in_the_Pack
Wait, you mean they aren't?
No, the only true vampires are lawyers.
MegearaErotica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 08:04 PM   #77
Visum Res

Back to the topic, I myself was mistaken for an emo through out the course of my junior high education (middle school, for those living south of me). This might have had something to do with my friends, and that fact that to this date the only stylistic requirement I meet for goth is the black. Plain black T-shirts and loose-cut black jeans.
Visum Res is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 08:36 AM   #78
Dr Nancy

all the time.
I go to a school that is year one to ten, and I often get year fives or sixes asking me if I'm emo, especially when I had spikey hair, before I made/bought extesions. I think its cute if they're little, but when its people my age I correct them.
Dr Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 08:58 AM   #79
jack_the_knife

Yes, I have had that problem, more than once. I'll Gladly explain the difference to people, but only if they have the patience to listen.
jack_the_knife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 12:51 PM   #80
gothicusmaximus

Actually, today I remembered an occasion on which I was mistaken for an emo. I was standing outside my friend's dorm waiting for a cab, and this guy asked me if I'd just been to a costume party. I told him no, so he follows up with "are you... emo?" I explained that I wasn't, and inquired as to what gave him that impression, to which he answered "Well, an emo is someone who is trying really hard to get attention." I tried to briefly inform him, in a friendly manner, of what emo actually was, but then he accused me of being on drugs-- which diagnosis he was qualified to make because he was a med student. Yeah, that dude could be responsible for saving your life one day.
gothicusmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 01:04 PM   #81
Necrophagist

I wouldn't trust him with my pencil! Let alone my life!
Necrophagist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 08:14 PM   #82
Dream

the people around where i live have everything confused

some days ill go the whole industrial rivithead gig and the next goth but they look at it as emo

everyone has their heads in a knot over this and i got tired of trying to explain it because even after i got done with a boring conversation they think they are still right
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 12:25 AM   #83
StrangeLove

I laugh [cackle?] too much to be considered emo.
My former workers just considered me "weird."
StrangeLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 07:13 PM   #84
sagicapri25

Yep

Yes, I have been called emo, but certainly not because I look it. I just figure it is because the dumbshits can't decipher my ingenious goth code. xx
sagicapri25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 12:25 PM   #85
Elysiume

I frequently get mistaken for an emo. I usually say "Ha! You're kidding right? Are you blind or something?" *insert manacing laughter*.
Elysiume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 07:37 PM   #86
Godslayer Jillian

Not good at comebacks, huh?

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 07:55 PM   #87
Moonlightballet

I was called emo once, but when I was in high school the god damn preps just said I worshiped the devil.
Moonlightballet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 07:58 PM   #88
TheBloodEternity

Why do "alternatives" go around calling anyone who isn't "alternative" or adhering to some form of subculture "prep"? I've seriously only met one or two preps in my entire life.

"Lucifer was an idiot, it wound up lord and master of nothing at all."
TheBloodEternity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 08:05 PM   #89
Solumina

I went to school with a lot of preps but then again I grew up in a very wealthy, white bread kind of area.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 08:10 PM   #90
TheBloodEternity

Well, I go to a private school, but there is really only one person here that screams "prep". She's rolling in nicest-fucking-area-of-town, hoity-toity big name parent money, she wears shit like cardigans and little flats, and she's a pretentious little snot who absolutely fucking obsesses over art even though she doesn't know jackshit about the subject. Also, my friend asked how to spell something and she answered her in the snobbiest way possible, and then my friend got mad, and this girl goes "Hey watch who you're messing with."
Even the "normal" kids, or ones that would normally be considered prep here are calling her "preppy bitch" and she's only been here a week!

Old 10-10-2008, 08:29 PM   #91
Solumina

Gah I can't stand people like that, they give preps and rich kids a bad name.
-Carbon Leaf
Old 10-10-2008, 08:33 PM   #92
TheBloodEternity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solumina
Gah I can't stand people like that, they give preps and rich kids a bad name.
A lot of the rich kids I know are spoiled and don't know it, which is somewhat more annoying.

Old 10-10-2008, 09:33 PM   #93
BLEED REBELION!!!

The kids at my sisters middle school used to ask me:
" Are you Emo or Goth?" I guess they figured I was one of the two. I usually said that I wasnt emo, and that I liked allot of goth music and style but that I was into allot of things so I would need a longer lable with many hyphins (sp?) in order to place me correctly.

And now that her friends have known me for 3 years they no longer ask such questions. They have now seen that I wear tons of different stuff , that I listen to plenty of Hip-Hop and that I dont have an obsession with hanging myslef in a dark corner. So now they just think I have maniac depresive ADHD. so YAY.

" I love 4play! Its the best thing I've ever done"
- My Boyfriend
BLEED REBELION!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 03:39 AM   #94
Technowitch

A couple of times, yeah. I chalk it up to the cheap-as-shit, black plastic frames I've been wearing for years now. Before the emo/scene thing became popular, no one cared. Now, it's a subcultural identifier.

...I don't get it, either.

It's not the worst thing I've been called, though, so I just shrug it off. Mostly. I do admit that I'm sometimes irritated that people would assume I had such shitty taste in music. :<
Technowitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 04:34 AM   #95
Frederik

Every now and then somebody will ask if I'm "emo". I always ask them why they think I'm emo & their response has always been because I was wearing black at the time lol.
Frederik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 10:45 AM   #96
Solumina

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBloodEternity
A lot of the rich kids I know are spoiled and don't know it, which is somewhat more annoying.
Not saying that you are wrong or anything but there is a pretty good chance that you may not know how rich that someone is because A) they are rich but don't mention it and/or don't act the way that you think a rich person would act and B) they are not rich but want people to think that they are.

Sorry it is just kind of a pet peeve of mine because I know a lot of people who bitch about rich people. The worst is when I respond by saying something to the effect of "you don't think I'm like that, do you?" and they in turn say something along the lines of "I don't mean kind of rich like you, I mean really rich" and then it gets kind of awkward when I explain that their assumption of my family's finances is not exactly accurate.
-Carbon Leaf
Old 10-13-2008, 11:01 AM   #97
jack_the_knife

Quote:
I just have a pet hate for spoiled children. Some of the horrible little brats I've seen on "Super sweet sixteen" while channel hopping have deserved a jolly good stabbing...
jack_the_knife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 11:56 AM   #98
LiUsAiDh

Quote:
Hmm, My current pet peeve is at people making assumptions about 'rich kids', people can't do anything about their parent's bank accounts. If you're an asshole you'll be one regardless of that £500 designer handbag.

Pie Jesu domine..... Donna eis requiem - *thwack*

'To become truly immortal, a work of art must escape all human limits: logic and common sense will only interfere. But once these barriers are broken, it will enter the realms of childhood visions and dreams.' - Giorgio de Chirico
LiUsAiDh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 12:06 PM   #99
MitsyMayhem

Quote:

Okay. This bothers me to the extreme. I live in the richest neighborhood in my town. I am also the only African American in my neighborhood. I've never been one to dress in super expensive clothes. Nice clothes, yes, but never outrageously priced, because that's not my thing, that and my family does not have that much money, compared to everyone else in my neighborhood has. I shop at Ross like normal kids and I like secondhand stores. Even so, I was labeled 'white girl' all through Elementary and Middle School because I was black and lived in a certain area. I was talked about, at times even worse than the richer white kids. People assumed I was spoiled and snobby when they found out where I lived. They thought I considered myself better than them. I even had a new girl I had started talking to say one day say "Wow, you know you're really nice. People have told me that you're a rich bitch, but I don't see that at all." It hurt my feelings a lot, because I'd done nothing to deserve any of that. It brought on a lot of isolation and I used advanced classes as a safe guard so I wouldn't have to be around those teasing students. It's better now, as many of those students have apologized and even befriended me, but no one should be followed everyday and ridiculed and no one deserves such prejudice. One never knows who's really rich and who's not. There's kids who live in the ghetto who wear more expensive brands than I do.
MitsyMayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 12:08 PM   #100
MollyMac

Blindly prejudiced Judgmental fucks ruin if for those of us who judge without economic, racial, caste, gender, etc bias