Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 01-09-2009, 04:44 PM   #26
Catch

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Angel_Of_Darkness~
I will make no comment on the outfits or the article because I don't want to insult anyone, but I WILL say one thing: if you're gonna make videos showcasing anything at all, stand OPPOSITE a window or in a brightly lit room. I almost couldn't see anything but a silhouette.
Read the article. I guess the last one isn't explained will. It is a gray jacket, creating a faux umpire waist with a long black skirt. The collars bring additional attention up towards the face.
Old 01-09-2009, 04:48 PM   #27
~Angel_Of_Darkness~

I did read it, but still, pictures and videos shouldn't be taken with the subject in front of a lot of light.
"And as always, innocent like roller coasters. Fatality is like ghosts in snow and you have no idea what you're up against because I've seen what they look like. Becoming perfect as if they were sterling silver chainsaws going cascading......."
~Angel_Of_Darkness~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 04:15 AM   #28
Alarica

I have a friend who is 32. She is grossly overweight and always has been. She grew up being told she wasnt fat, and it was 'puppy fat'. She STILL believes that.

Telling people they look good and to keep going does them more damage in the long run. The world is a cruel place. Constructive criticism only works when you take on board the things you are being told.

I was a vegetarian until I lost my virginity, and a wise man said to me 'do you not feel guilty now, having had all that meat inside you?'
Alarica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 05:42 AM   #29
Maxim_Macabre

Christ, I couldn't put myself through all of that.
Old 01-10-2009, 05:36 PM   #30
Catch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alarica
I have a friend who is 32. She is grossly overweight and always has been. She grew up being told she wasnt fat, and it was 'puppy fat'. She STILL believes that.

Telling people they look good and to keep going does them more damage in the long run. The world is a cruel place. Constructive criticism only works when you take on board the things you are being told.
Well I was super thin when I was a teen. Couldn't gain weight. After resenting not having any curves, I'm actually happy with my body. I still have a small waist. Not everyone shares your idea of beauty, so you can shut up at any time.
Old 01-10-2009, 05:41 PM   #31
Unimatrix 00

I aggree, Catch. Just because I'm not emaciated, I get shit and people call me a fat ugly whore. I don't care though, because I know I am beautiful. and you are too. I think you're a great example of being able to carry goth fashion into your 30s while staying elegant and dignified. x
Unimatrix 00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 05:44 PM   #32
Godslayer Jillian

Cicero is beautiful.
You just look like a fat dude cosplaying as Sailormoon

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 05:49 PM   #33
Catch

That is me in all of the photos. The first one is more dyky because it is working off of the hardcore look that can be more androgenous, or at least totally extreme. Didn't feel like wearing a bikini and high-heels.
Old 01-10-2009, 05:56 PM   #34
exacerbatedpoet

OK, I know that this post was just a cry for attention so I didn't want to respond. Plus, everyone was doing such a nice job putting you in your place Catch. First of all, Uni, you need to stop feeding her ego and telling her that she is right. She has no right telling other people how to dress and she has no right to say what is ugly. Personally, I think her clothes are butt ugly but its her style. Catch you have no right to dictate what's "goth' and whats "fashionable". Its like you are saying " If you wear what I wear and follow my rules then you will be a fashionable goth". You are an egotistical moron. Uni you are seriously disappointing me. What you just did is equivalent to rewarding a child for bad behavior. Sometimes people deserve to be bashed.
exacerbatedpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 06:10 PM   #35
Catch

This whole Fashion forum is full of people who have questions about how to dress themselves. It is a public service. Now I can answer several questions in one video. I bet you already tried out the thing with the black vest.
Old 01-10-2009, 06:16 PM   #36
Godslayer Jillian

You're not making a public service when you don't know jackshit about looking good.

-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Old 01-10-2009, 06:31 PM   #37
Catch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godslayer Jillian
You're not making a public service when you don't know jackshit about looking good.
You're not a particular good person to make comments about how other people dress.
Old 01-10-2009, 07:19 PM   #38
LaBelleDameSansMerci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catch
It is like owning uniks.
Eunuch, I think you mean.

Your cinematography sucks, your "dancing" looks more like prenatal exercises, and your outfits are unflattering. Particularly the middle one with the patterned skirt. You looked like a poorly dressed version of my mother's friend, who applies clothing in a most unflattering manner. It made you look freshly homeless.
Like a tea-tray in the sky.

LaBelleDameSansMerci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 09:26 PM   #39
PortraitOfSanity

Quote:
You're not a particular good person to make comments about how other people dress.
Mohawk + wicked sick denim vest

vs

Skirt that looks like you made it out of some old curtains + belly sticking out.

Yea, sorry, Jillian wins

I don't hate you. Saying I hate you would be like saying I hate a dog with no legs trying to cross a busy freeway.
-Mr. Filth
PortraitOfSanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 03:30 PM   #40
Catch

If Godlayer Jillian wants to make his own site then let him. I don't really like portraying the more masculine styles anyway.
Old 01-11-2009, 03:41 PM   #41
Maxim_Macabre

No, better off letting you portray the nursing home ones.
Old 01-11-2009, 04:34 PM   #42
Alarica

Quote:
Honey, my 3 year old son dresses himself and gets his clothes on inside out sometimes he's so eager to be independant and he even looks better dressed than you.

Plus, my idea of beauty is someone who makes atleast SOME effort with their appearance and who is realistic, not deluded. You and Unimatrix are deluded, for instance. You would both learn a lot if you pulled your heads out of your deluded arses for a little while.

I was a vegetarian until I lost my virginity, and a wise man said to me 'do you not feel guilty now, having had all that meat inside you?'
Old 01-11-2009, 05:21 PM   #43
girasol

Remembering the olden days, working with separates is a challenge. People with otherwise good fashion sense totally destroyed a look. There was one woman wearing a bustier with over-sized cups, tight pants and an over-sized jacket. Understanding the basis of the outfit, it made her look squat and encouraged negative commentary. She spent the night alone. Occasionally, her friends said, “Hi.” Fashion can be unyielding. There are some key points.'

- Why do assume that everyone would know who that woman was/is?

You are not in a fashion magazine, you are not a designer or makeup artist - and I see people like you in the mall all the time... So who are you to give people advise? I don't give people advise - I give them my opinion or a suggestion.

You have said to make a vest 'pop' you would wear a coloured t-shirt underneath and again underneath that - a long sleeved shirt. In the video your vest is not particularly nice or flattering for your figure so why make it pop?

The third outfit is fine. I think you should wear things that make your waist look smaller.

If you are going to make a video like that in future - lighting that shows off what you are wearing and your body is a better idea. You are going some weird dance in a shady corner... if you are supposedly showing people what they should be wearing - then show it clearly.
girasol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 07:05 PM   #44
Catch

Everyone does know who that woman is, though it isn't always the same person. You know, tried looking like someone in a band and probably should have tried it out in their own size.

Back lighting is usually difficult to work with, but I think the front light balanced it out. It is more experimental. Plus, I didn't actually make any of those clothes, so it is stylistic. If I was advertising clothes for sale, I'm sure better lighting and close-ups would have been better. However, seeing how that wasn't the point at all, it works well. Think I will do all future videos the same way.
Old 01-11-2009, 07:10 PM   #45
girasol

I thought your point was to show people how to dress better?
How do you accomplish that if you are half hidden?

As your replies to other people suggest... if you are self-confident and think you know better than some of the people ho apparently tire you with their appearances - why not just switch a light on behind the camera. You went to the effort of creating a video, adding text and posting a ridiculous blog - are you too tired to switch on a light?

Post however you want. It was a suggestion and I was trying to point out what YOU might have done better. I am not that interested in seeing your future videos + won't be following this thread anymore. Its stupid.
cya.
Old 01-11-2009, 10:33 PM   #46
Godslayer Jillian

girasol is giving Catch too much fucking credit.
That's disturbing.

-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Old 01-11-2009, 10:55 PM   #47
girasol

Quote:
girasol is giving Catch too much fucking credit.
That's disturbing.

I just think insulting her will not make me any happier. I'll just work myself up after every reply.
Old 01-11-2009, 11:04 PM   #48
Godslayer Jillian

We don't want to make her happier. We want her to leave.

-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Old 01-12-2009, 12:33 AM   #49
girasol

Quote:
We don't want to make her happier. We want her to leave.

Why?

I thought people like this entertained you guys?

I got that impression anyway.

I would rather positively influence someone rather than piss them off, waste my time and earn a bunch of insults from someone I don't know and won't know.
Old 01-12-2009, 01:28 AM   #50
Alarica

What is the point in p ussy footing around people, friends, family or strangers, if they have to have things explained. It's far quicker to be blunt. If they dont like it, tough. They shouldnt do things that will get a negative response.