Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

View Poll Results: Skinny, Average, or Fat?
Skinny girls that have no fat 11 9.82%
Average girls with curves and just a touch of fat 95 84.82%
Down right fat chicks 6 5.36%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-14-2006, 05:33 AM   #51
spookypurple

Phenomenology!

Hamlet
spookypurple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 06:18 AM   #52
A Simple Poet

Actually, the Vulcans could really get it on, I remember Spock had the fever ... just about killed Kirk. It might have been a good thing, but I digress...

My name is Will ... and I'm back from a glorious feeding.

Will on Facebook ... Identify yourself because I'm a proud, Facebook, recluse.
A Simple Poet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 01:01 PM   #53
spookypurple

Ohhh. Not sure what I wandered in on there. Should I cover my eyes?

Hamlet
Old 04-14-2006, 04:45 PM   #54
Iriacynthe

Quote:
Originally Posted by leticia
when i was younger i was really concerned about my size. i'm a size sixteen (38 european, not sure what it is in america, but it's above average). i used to get really depressed because i thought i was hideous but now i'm over all that.
Like, what? A 38 isn't above average, unless Belgium uses different sizes than the rest of Europe. A 38 isn't really skinny, but it's definately normal and even on the more skinny side of 'normal'. Hell, I'm a 42 and I'm normal too, I have a perfectly healthy weight. Women who wear size 34 or whatever are 1: rare and 2: probably underweight.
Iriacynthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 11:29 PM   #55
Icarian Decoding

I find it funny, that people are worried about being skinny or fat. Who cares? The main part is you need to be healthy. If you're 500 pounds, then you have a problem. I don't care how big the Muscle to Weight ratio is. 500 pounds is something you worry about, and try and fix. If you're 250, who givesashit? If you're 75 pounds, then you may have to worry about being Anerexic. Otherwise, don't worry. As long as you're fit, then you're good. For instance, I am 155 myself. Some people say I am a twig. I know I am okay, because I excersize regularily, I eat often, and I keep myself in good company. I'm okay.
Icarian Decoding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 03:02 AM   #56
Cicero

Health has always been my priority as well. I eat when I'm hungry, and I get exercise when given the opportunity.
But this thread I think is mainly based on what people find attractive.

Although, there is a correlation between what is healthy and what is attractive. A majority of men will not wish to "spread their seed" in a woman with barely enough flesh to hold her bones together, just as most would prefer a woman less likely to suffer from hypertension, heart attacks and diabetes. And what's more, in times when certain body types were better equipped to survive in certain conditions, those body types tended to become more attractive. Example: In ancient China obesity was considered beautiful because the extra fat made one more likely to survive the famines which were so widespread at a time.

Hmmm... I suppose people such as myself Lena will just have to wait for a time when breast cancer is so rampant that our lack of mammaries will prove an advantage in basic survival. Until then at least, breast size in on the bottom of my list of "things to care about much".
Cicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 04:50 AM   #57
Morrigan_Dubh

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Simple Poet
Actually, the Vulcans could really get it on, I remember Spock had the fever ... just about killed Kirk. It might have been a good thing, but I digress...
Spock was only half-Vulcan... but yes... you do digress...

I blame Photoshop for all my body insecurities... If only I could have someone to follow me around with a soft focus lens infront of me...

I've just remembered when I lived in Japan there was a celebrity who would always have someone with her shining a light from a low angle onto her face so that her face was always totally whitened-out. She was quite old, but the light and pancake makeup made her look, um, not exactly young but definitely not old. More like a doll than anything. It is insane the lengths some people will go to to make themselves feel attractive, or even just "acceptable".
Old 04-17-2006, 05:59 AM   #58
spookypurple

That sounds like a scene from Sartre's "L'Age Du Raison"...

Hamlet
Old 04-17-2006, 06:11 AM   #59
Blushing Heliophobe

I don't see why we obsess over what is considered beautiful or not. There's more than one type of beauty, not even including the difference between internal and external beauty. I have found all body types to be attractive. Naturally, I might gravitate to one more, but it doesn't change the fact that there's more than one 'perfect' size.

Morrigan - you just brought to mind Mariah Carey. I noticed a long time ago that anytime she shoots a video, there's inevitably a fan blowing her *luscious locks* of *lusciousness* about...and then I noticed her on a book signing, with a fan, to blow her locks about...I think she has someone hired whose only purpose is to follow her about with a fan.

If I were going to pay someone to follow me around, I'd at least have them waving palm fronds and feeding me grapes.
Blushing Heliophobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 07:02 AM   #60
Blushing Heliophobe

Or at least really cool backgrounds.
Old 04-17-2006, 07:05 AM   #61
spookypurple

Or a nice thought bubble.

Hamlet
Old 04-17-2006, 10:09 AM   #62
Panic

Ditto with Cicero.

Also, I don't think there's anything *wrong* or even particularly sexist about a man preferring a healthy partner (are you suggesting that women don't judge men based on their looks as well?? REALLY?!).

All of this "oh, well that man is a pig because he can't see me for who I am" ...well, it may mean that he only thinks with his dick, but I don't think he's morally corrupt for it.
Panic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 12:08 PM   #63
Blushing Heliophobe

It's definitely a good way to land yourself in a secure long term relationship though.

Ahem.
Old 04-18-2006, 02:30 PM   #64
Panic

Hence the "it may mean he only thinks with his dick". I don't know about you, but I don't look for long term relationships with ...sex-crazed idiots?

No, I prefer sex-crazed intellectuals.
Panic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 06:02 AM   #65
Morrigan_Dubh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xnguela
Ew, that always looked so cliche and fake to me. If I could be photoshopped while I was walking around, I'd at least give myself a purple tint or put myself into black and white.
What? You don't think the "vaseline on the lens" look is sexy?? ... I'd also have a soft light shining behind me giving my hair a glow and a suggestion of a halo... All hail Mother Morrigan, Queen of Our Sins...
Old 04-21-2006, 06:05 AM   #66
Morrigan_Dubh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blushing Heliophobe

Morrigan - you just brought to mind Mariah Carey. I noticed a long time ago that anytime she shoots a video, there's inevitably a fan blowing her *luscious locks* of *lusciousness* about...and then I noticed her on a book signing, with a fan, to blow her locks about...I think she has someone hired whose only purpose is to follow her about with a fan.
Ah Mariah Carey... Now, there's a messed up chica. And that reminds me of someone who always gets her photo taken from the same angle ....eck...eck... Paris Hilton... Sorry... I think I just threw up in my mouth a little...
Old 04-22-2006, 07:13 PM   #67
WizardElement5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicero
For me putting on an ounce of fat is physically impossible. As is growing boobs.

And I'm not going to lie and say I'm comfortable with being flat-chested and skinny, because it annoys the hell out of me.

People try to argue that it's the thin physique that "society" wants, but aside from serious fashion models, no one wants to look like a stick, and no one looks kindly upon those who do. "She must be anorexic," they say. Well I'm afraid three large meals a day and very little exercise will prove them wrong.
Cicero, I'm sorry your not happy with the way you look, but you're wrong about no one looking kindly upon people who look like a stick! I'm one of those few who voted for skinny, because I'm really into skinny, flat-chested women. And before anyone starts; no, I'm not gay and no, I'm not into children. I know we're a minority, (hey, look at the poll results), but there are men such as myself whose sexuality is based on being attracted towards super-skinny flat-chested women. Of course the most important thing is being happy with yourself and not what others think of you.
WizardElement5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 07:48 PM   #68
Grandieur

aww isnt that sweet...
Grandieur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 06:09 AM   #69
Virulent Dryad

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychopenguin
I'm just curious what guys are more attracted to. Looking around I notice a pretty even ammount of both skinny and average size girls be they goth or what-have-you. A lot of the average girls view themselves as fat or ugly because they aren't a size 1 (guys this would be around a size 20 in your pants us females have an odd number scheme for our clothing but that's another topic all together). So guys what is it? Skinny or the average not quite skinny but not really fat?

Ok since I don't know what size one is (don't live in the the U.S) I'm guessing you just mean really skinny. I prefer average, curved hips, corsetted waists, et cetera
Virulent Dryad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 08:00 AM   #70
Draconysius

It really is irrelevant to me whether a girl (or guy) is morbidly skinny, or has a few extra pounds. Sometimes I find people with a little fat more attractive than those without, so it varies.
Draconysius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 12:32 PM   #71
Virulent Dryad

Well, there's also the problem of protruding ribs stabbing you during those passionate moments. Just a thought.

PS: Nobody who has access to food should be that skinny.
Old 04-24-2006, 11:34 PM   #72
Blushing Heliophobe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virulent Dryad
Well, there's also the problem of protruding ribs stabbing you during those passionate moments. Just a thought.

PS: Nobody who has access to food should be that skinny.
Why not? Some people really do have fast metabolisms.
Old 04-25-2006, 02:25 AM   #73
Virulent Dryad

I was thinking more on the lines of starving people, like perhaps how you'd get in Africa. I am aware that there are naturally skinny people but they usually look fairly healthy.
Old 04-25-2006, 02:54 AM   #74
Morrigan_Dubh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xnguela
No, I think I just want to be black and white.

Seriously, that would be so cool!!
I think I'd go for the Sepia look when I'm feeling sad and lonesome an' all... then when things start hapening for me I'd burst into glorious Technicolour! Think "Wizard of Oz"...
Old 04-25-2006, 03:44 AM   #75
AbelTheLiar

I said average, as I took skinny to mean Paris Hilton-ish (fake ass bitch). I usually prefer skinny Japanese girls though. Funny thing is, bad stereotypes exist for both genders, and both are from distorted viewpoints. I have found myself somewhat obsessed with beauty but, what they shove down your thraot is not pretty. I saw an italian model, and thought "Oh my god that is the ugliest girl I have ever seen." She was built like something out of Roswell (looked like one of those things, too). The west places too much stock in absolutes.

They tell you a guy has to built like some god-awful mucsle freak to be attractive, but I think that is full of crap. I have call gorgeous, and get mistaken for a girl in public like crazy. Does this mean I want to "fix" how I look to fit handsome and manly. No. I have found that pretty is more fun than handsome, and this relates to the topic in the form of... one beauty is not just a body type, but how you fell about yourself. If hollywood calls you beautiful and you are a mental fuck-up, what's the point?

Pretty clothes and a touch of make-up can make anyone look better, regardless of what's "under the sheet". And guys... start wearing make-up. Gils have had the monopoly on pretty for too damn long.

EDIT: If this doesn't make sense, don't blame me... my brain doesn't work too well (in general) at night after being awake all day. Damn light poisoning...
AbelTheLiar is offline   Reply With Quote