Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

View Poll Results: Is black lipstick over the top
yes it is OTT 97 35.53%
No it looks fabulous 176 64.47%
Voters: 273. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-16-2004, 06:56 PM   #51
Tepes13

I dunno. i were black lipstick and i at least think it looks good. i am fairly pale and have black hair and when paired with the right outfit i think it can look really good on some people.

"Yes I am real, And yes I do know where you live"
Tepes13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 08:48 PM   #52
rocker_baby67

I use black eyeliner for lipstick it works really well and I can double task... its so fun or I'll just use it for liner and put red or someother clor in the middle
rocker_baby67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 07:46 AM   #53
Andy_X69

Not a black lipstick fan here. I just use clear lipgloss.
Andy_X69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2004, 08:10 AM   #54
Jane13

I don't wear 'lipstick' that often either... I agree with the lipgloss, but I like it wit glitter. The last color lipstick that I actually wore was a slightly pinkish- purple.
"There's straw in his brains and his clothing is stained with mice and small newts and the perfectly maimed. Don't look under his hood in the place where he stood or you'll find yourself running from the rook in the wood."
-Cinema Strange
Jane13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 10:08 AM   #55
a_S

I have never tried black lipstick,but I usually use lipgloss or a mix of pink/red lipstick. I'm a mix of hispanic with white, so I don't know if black lipstick with the color of my skin will look good :?
a_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 05:45 AM   #56
centurion

On women, I usually prefer really dark red lipstick. Japanese women do it the best

For guys though, I think it only looks good when someone has a lot of powder or face whitener on to give that harsh contrast, or gothic-undead-Rozz Williams look. I`ve only ever worn it when I`ve totally painted the rest of my face white, and it looks best with spiky hair, leather jacket, and dark shades....
centurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004, 09:43 AM   #57
OnixxFilth

I love black lipstick, but sometimes I do wear red or purple. It depends on my mood and what I'm wearing. I also like to choose a foundation a few shades lighter than my natural skin color (which is hard when ur as pales as a ghost to begin with!) to give that eerie undead look.
OnixxFilth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2004, 12:16 AM   #58
Biancaneve

Silly makeup

Hello,
I am a professional makeup artist and longtime goth!
I think black lipstick is just silly, as is the whiteface pancake makeup. Silly, silly. To look dead/vampirish, use a GRAY lipstick and apply GRAY blush (you may have to use eyeshadow if you don't have access to pro cosmetics) along your cheekbones - NOT in the hollow of them! You want to emphasize the skeletal features of your face. Use a small brush, and dust shimmer above (not on top of) the gray blush you just put down. Oh, you're so emanciated! You MUST be one of the undead.
Biancaneve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2004, 12:24 AM   #59
secretboy

Re: Silly makeup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biancaneve
Oh, you're so emanciated! You MUST be one of the undead.
Hah. So tempted to .sig that.
Old 10-23-2004, 06:22 AM   #60
Jane13

That's really cool, B. What's really annoying is that there are two girls at my school tha wear that black halloween greasepaint on their lips and eyes EVERYDAY... they litterally look like clowns- I mean, they draw giant tear drops and stuff on their face! Ok... I guess it really doesn't bother me that much... but they think they're so "hard core" and such. bleh.
"There's straw in his brains and his clothing is stained with mice and small newts and the perfectly maimed. Don't look under his hood in the place where he stood or you'll find yourself running from the rook in the wood."
-Cinema Strange
Old 10-23-2004, 07:32 PM   #61
Zeade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane13
but they think they're so "hard core" and such. bleh.
but, jane, you have to love the "hard core" people... <rolls eyes> do they tell you when you're dressing wrong and such also? the ones at my school like that do... it gets on my effing nerves!!! if i wanted their opinion on how to be goth, i'd ask...
Zeade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2004, 12:49 AM   #62
centurion

I guess Alien Sex Fiend do their makeup wrong then, because they use black lipstick and pancake makeup.....
So is this legendary band a bunch of posers then, because they don`t spend millions on cosmetics???
Old 10-24-2004, 12:57 AM   #63
secretboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by centurion
I guess Alien Sex Fiend do their makeup wrong then, because they use black lipstick and pancake makeup.....
So is this legendary band a bunch of posers then, because they don`t spend millions on cosmetics???
...there's always an exception that proves a rule?

MY BUSINESS IS A LITTLE CLOAK AND DAGGA!
I DRINK SO MUCH I DON'T WALK, I MERELY STAGGA!
Old 10-24-2004, 01:06 AM   #64
centurion

I walk the line!!!!!

Well, I guess it just goes to show fashion is about individuality, really..... when I go to clubs/shows, I`m really not concerned with how much more money the person next to me spent on their outfit or makeup, when people in black come together I find it`s all about a celebration of lifestyle and good music.
Old 10-24-2004, 07:13 PM   #65
Maimy

Frankly, on the couple of occasions I've worn black lipstick, 'looking dead' had zero whatsoever to do with it. I like a high-contrast of color values. It doesn't get much higher contrast than my fair skin and black lipstick.

For the record, I DO NOT do whiteface. Ever. It is damned difficult to get it 'right' (and, even done right, it generally looks lame), and I don't see the point frankly. I gave up on the whole Paler Than Thou thing about twelve years ago. There are so many elements to the myriad looks embody the 'goth' look - silhouette, palette, textile, texture (any and all as applied via hair, makeup OR clothes) - that white makeup is the least of the story. I think that's one of those things that actually comes close to a 'rule' - that whiteface really doesn't do ANYONE favors.
Old 10-24-2004, 07:18 PM   #66
Jane13

Quote:
Deffinitely not! Wearing make up like that doesn't make some one a posuer... it's just tat so many posuers tend to try to emulate that look... and fail.
-Cinema Strange
Old 10-25-2004, 05:19 PM   #67
centurion

I guess it`s different for women than for men.... Makeup works only if you have little or no facial hair, and I`m the kind of guy who has a five o`clock shadow at noon, so I don`t do it that often....

I dunno, whiteface/black lipstick works on some people.... you can either look elegant, like Rozz Williams or Anna-Varney; or ghoulish, like Alien Sex Fiend or Peter Murphy. I don`t see why it`s such a big deal.....
Old 10-25-2004, 05:25 PM   #68
Jane13

Quote:
I guess it`s different for women than for men.... Makeup works only if you have little or no facial hair.
Some women have facial hair.
-Cinema Strange
Old 11-09-2004, 12:26 PM   #69
funeral_of_hearts

I also only wear dark red. I've seen black look very nice, but I'm not incredibly talented with make-up, so I steer clear of black lipstick.
funeral_of_hearts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 01:07 PM   #70
Soul_Immortal

I am not a lover of the "black" lipstick look, although I have a tip:

Line your lips CAREFULLY with black, navy or any dark shaded lipliner. Fill in with a clear gloss or something moisturizing. That way if it rubs off theres no worries about reapplying every 5 minuites*. And its a big plus, because alot of those "goth" brand lipsticks cake and dry and chap.

I don't do the above 24/7....flavored chapstick for me.

*Soul*
Old 11-22-2004, 07:28 PM   #71
AdorablyDead1

I like black lipstick, and like almost everybody else has said, it looks well if you do it right. I can wear it and have it look good, but usually when it wears off I can't redo the look for some reason. Very frustrating.

I can never find any lipstick that is dry though. I know it sounds wierd, but for me, that's the only way black lipstick would work well so I could redo it if I wanted to. I used to have this really nice dark brown lipstick and it was very dry, I had to put lip gloss on afterwards for it to look good. But unlike some lipsticks it never bled, that's the problem I have with black. Everyone I get bleeds for some reason.
AdorablyDead1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 05:02 PM   #72
Green

It good

I love the look of black lipstick, I think it's the hottest thing in the whole entire world! I just typed a whole paragraph but the thing deleted it and I am lazy so I won't re-write it. But I have a question....Who can give advice on wearing it so that it doesn't smudge/get on my teeth?
Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 11:55 PM   #73
SweetDarkThea

I say no to black lipstick. If it's done right (which it seldomly is) I suppose it's alright for an occasion.
SweetDarkThea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 12:12 AM   #74
drgnlvr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane13
That's really cool, B. What's really annoying is that there are two girls at my school tha wear that black halloween greasepaint on their lips and eyes EVERYDAY... they litterally look like clowns- I mean, they draw giant tear drops and stuff on their face! Ok... I guess it really doesn't bother me that much... but they think they're so "hard core" and such. bleh.
Do these children know what that black teardrop is supposed to signify?
drgnlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 12:18 AM   #75
SweetDarkThea

hehe Yeah you should ask one of them "So...how did you do it?" They'll be completely and utterly confused!
SweetDarkThea is offline   Reply With Quote