Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 12-07-2006, 11:09 PM   #126
bjork_freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkHeartedDemoness
I'm cool with that... But I am done with this forum. This is my official goodbye.

It's been fun!
You totally remind me of someone I used to know... You write just like her. : off topic :
bjork_freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 04:13 PM   #127
Godslayer Jillian

Actually, if you're thinking who I'm thinking, she is that someone we used to know, and I miss her.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 05:21 PM   #128
Crying_Crimson_Tears

She reminds me of someone. And I heart them both.

One in the same my friends. *Heart*

-Zach Galifianakis
Crying_Crimson_Tears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 11:19 PM   #129
bjork_freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godslayer Jillian
Actually, if you're thinking who I'm thinking, she is that someone we used to know, and I miss her.
I miss her too... but I kind of got the impression that she didn't want to talk to me anymore, so I quit trying.
Old 12-08-2006, 11:21 PM   #130
Godslayer Jillian

Which reminds me, if you don't get a request from me to be in your contacts, can you add me?

-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Old 12-08-2006, 11:31 PM   #131
bjork_freak

Yep, no problem.
Old 12-08-2006, 11:59 PM   #132
bjork_freak

If you were referring to MSN contacts, I don't use the email that's on my profile. So I will add you.
Old 12-10-2006, 11:56 AM   #133
~Porcelainia~

i havent had tine to read -all- the replies, so apologies if I'm repeating anyone...
It angers me how widely used the term "goth" is these days.
Wearing black and listening to Marilyn Manson does NOT make you a "goth".
Nor does having black hair, eyeliner, new rocks, etc etc. Goth is not just a fashion statement! I dont know why there are so many people grouped into this genre. The last vague remnants of Gothic culture are dying out fast, yet anyone who dresses alternatively seems to be referred to as Goth. wtf?!?!?! I usually don't let the opinion of narrowminded "joe publics" bother me, but lately (well, at least in the town i live) its just getting worse and worse. I've witnessed these "emo" kids being verbally abused in town by "chavs" (i hate to catorgorise people but you know what i mean!) and it pisses me off that they are being called GOTHS!!! i mean, if you're going to insult somebody, at least get it right!
:s grrrrr

(im hungover and moody today)lol
~Porcelainia~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 12:05 PM   #134
Jayden

I agree ^. Marilyn Manson doesn't define goth. But for sake of argument, I'll present this.

http://todaysemo.ytmnd.com/

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

But in all seriousness, it is troubling. In part, I believe it's that the music industry is moving in and capitalizing on the culture, because the new bands such as Chemiclal Romance and such are more appealing to the main stream than Marilyn Manson or the like was 10 years ago.

I don't really blame kids who cut and are truely down in the dumps. I try to help them, bring them to see what it's truely about. But if there's kids just doing it for attention, well GAH! Giving me a bad name -_-.
Jayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 12:22 PM   #135
maggot

Does anyone know what that song was? The one for the '96 goth? It was actually pretty good.
Old 12-10-2006, 01:30 PM   #136
Godslayer Jillian

It was Marylin Manson's The Beautiful People. So, it was cool, but they should have put Bela Lugosi's Dead in the background.

-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Old 12-10-2006, 05:16 PM   #137
Jayden

Yeah but I highly doubt the person who made that, a YTMND'er, knew about Bauhaus. For the mainstream, Marilyn Manson was what defined gothic in 1996, even if in truth that's not the case. Also, Lugosi's Dead is a 1979 song [>] , where Beautiful People is 1996.
Jayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 06:17 PM   #138
maggot

Wow, shoot me now. Lol.
Old 12-10-2006, 10:14 PM   #139
Blindness is Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by anorexiclipgloss
Its not what you wear, its how you wear it.
I dont care for people in black with bum atitudes and low self esteem, but I have alot of respect for someone in an everyday outfit with a good atitude.
Points, many points. My respect for you just went up.
Blindness is Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 10:16 PM   #140
Blindness is Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godslayer Jillian
It was Marylin Manson's The Beautiful People. So, it was cool, but they should have put Bela Lugosi's Dead in the background.
[irrelevance] Speaking of Marylin Manson, I recently posted a photo on my Myspace where my hair was all purple...and a friend of mine commented saying I looked like Marylin Manson. I was a little..." >_0 "
Blindness is Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 02:52 PM   #141
Toxic_Soul

as it were i am labeled goth though i dont mind labels and acept it i dosnt like the stereo tpyes that go along with it everyones always asking for lighters or cigarettes or electical tape or markers or saftey pins well ok i have saftey pins marker tape and lighters but i dont smoke dammit i only drink..lol and i hate it when people label by music ok i am goth or im not goth just because i listent to metal and punk bands as well as gothic indutrisal and old school industrial bands(VELVAT ACID CHRIST FOREVER!) anyways its just retarded that people are so hypocritical
Toxic_Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 05:14 PM   #142
Godslayer Jillian

You'll need to learn to write properly around these places.

-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Old 02-27-2007, 08:22 PM   #143
kimaru

There are emos popping up in my school too, but the bad kind. There are only two good ones that like the music, don't adhere to the strict fashion code, have been emo before it was cool, and are nice people. It's really quite annoying when the bad ones call me and the other goth at my school posers and saying we're trying to copy them. They act preppy like they always have but dress different. I've known these people for over 2 years and I know how they were before they turned emo, so it looks really stupid when they're pretending to be depressed in class, then laughing and talking about how cool Mary Kate Olsen is in the hall between classes. The way you dress should reflect your personality and who you are.

(I apologise for any spelling and grammar mistakes I've made and I apologise if it doesn't make sense. My writing often has no point and is just senseless rambling.)
kimaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 07:20 AM   #144
Ictum

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightmare
The thing that bothers me the most is self-hurt. I think it is innately selfish just like suicide, since cutters disregard the hurt of their loved ones and friends. In my opinion, they only care about themselves.
Welcome to the world, please take a seat. Every single thing you do, you do for yourself, cutting yourself is no different. I'm not going to go into a deep analysis and I'm not going to open up a disscusion about the mather. It's just how it works. Take my word for it. To say that the human race is "above" such things would be awfully hypocritical, and we don't want to be that, do we?

Also, what's wrong with wanting to escape from your emotions? Isn't that one of the reasons people do sports, read or play games; to get away from what we like to call reality?

The world would be such a horrible place if there wasn't such a thing as egoism.

Also, like Jillian said, it's nothing *wrong* with generalizing. Do you have any idea how mentally retarded we would become if our brain had to go through every single bit of information we get in our daily lifes?
Ictum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 05:23 AM   #145
Krayher

Selfish? When you go through something like that, as I did some time ago, you sometimes are past caring about yourself, let alone others. So how can it be selfishness if you are completely disregarding your own self-worth? It's not selfishness unless you're doing it for attention.
Krayher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 10:05 AM   #146
suicidalXemo

im confused about life
suicidalXemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 10:52 AM   #147
bleedingheart344

First of all, your name isn't cute or cool, second, the solution to confusion is always a deep and meaningful introspection. Kthxbai.
Old 10-28-2007, 11:25 AM   #148
Stormtrooper of Death

I think most people will agree with me on this. Subcultures are about the music, not the fashion. Fashion in each subcultue is another thing that expresses yourselve along with the music. I dress like a punk, but its always been more about punk rock than just punk fashion. Its the same for all subcultures, in my opinion at least.
Stormtrooper of Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 01:09 PM   #149
Bete Noire

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten
wow...emo is terrible. I get called emo, lol. it aint fair.... ...no wait....here it is...first (the end of 9th grade) I got called a poser.....lol...then, 10th grade, I get called a poser/emo.....and WAIT!! it gets better..now I am emo/scenester.....i dont even think I can spell it, lol. I hate the little fake goth children in my school too. They think because I cant afford cds and black clothes all of the time, that i *must* be scenester or emo. I think thats stupid. I am poor as hell, and I get music...*shifty eyes*...dont ask where. They think goth is all Cradle and children of bodem. Great bands, really! but seriusly.....they havent even heard of stuff like the bauhaus and the sisters of mercy. ANYTHING else.........makes me sad, because they are *really* missing out.

If I could bring to your attention: "they havent even heard of stuff like the bauhaus"

THE Bauhaus eh....?

The whole post drove my mind to self harm.
Bete Noire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 03:08 PM   #150
KontanKarite

I'll just say that lately, I've been hanging out with "punks". What I've realized is that punks did it better. Actually, labels are kinda silly. I've learned really fast that I knew next to nothing about the lives of goth heroes and bands. Goth simply doesn't seem to justify who I am. I've always been who I've been before I even knew what goth meant. I think it's safer for me to say that I am liken to goth. But me being a full blown goth... I'm thinking not. I might enjoy listening to a hand full of goth bands... but still, no. For some reason, I don't think that qualifies.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote