Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 12-29-2005, 09:03 AM   #151
rockandrose

Make-up isn't just a paintbrush you toy with.

It can also be a form of art.
Old 12-29-2005, 11:46 AM   #152
Metatron

Of course it is...it's a matter between looking like a God or looking like a 90 year-old hooker, but unfortunately it is just something you slap on your face for a lot of people. My mom, for example, daily routine - it's really not looking good that matters to her, it's just a security blanket I guess. Can't do anything without makeup...even if it's just yard work or going to pick up something from the local food mart.
Old 12-29-2005, 02:09 PM   #153
rockandrose

Make-up worn to mask one's insecurities or worn to feel better about oneself is different, to make-up worn as a form of art, or as a way of expressing oneself not based on insecurities.

Make-up "can" be a form of art.
Old 12-29-2005, 05:39 PM   #154
joyslayer

Beleive me, I have seen makeup looking literally like something that should be preserved for every 90 year old hooker looking people to view. But art is a complex matter. I have seen myself questioning many pieces of art.

Hear no evil
Speak no evil
See no evil
joyslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 06:03 PM   #155
WolfMoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metatron
Of course it is...it's a matter between looking like a God or looking like a 90 year-old hooker,
Metatron, I might just make that my new sig.!
WolfMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 06:06 PM   #156
joyslayer

It is a convincing statement.....

Hear no evil
Speak no evil
See no evil
Old 01-02-2006, 07:27 PM   #157
dreamforthedead

The 90-year-old hooker look is always a turn on..
lets me live my life like this..."
'Honey, this mirror isn't big enough for the two of us'
dreamforthedead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 01:11 PM   #158
joyslayer

Maybe by your standards!!!

Hear no evil
Speak no evil
See no evil
Old 01-08-2006, 09:59 PM   #159
Surgeon Méchant De Sang

Location: In some desolate wooded area with the rest of the trailer trash.
I agree with rockandrose - makeup can definitely be a form of art.
Me? I'm always painting myself up in one form or another, even if it means looking like a 101 year old granny with parkinson's. It's fun!
Surgeon Méchant De Sang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 10:45 PM   #160
UltraNEO*

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyslayer
I don't get along well with liquid eyeliner at all. I'm serious. It just hates me.
^o^ Funny that. Guess you've never tried applying it on the train then... Personally, Pencils and I never get along... What is it? Are some of us guys just born to break them? So liquid is all I use. And Mascara, that's WWIII. I've been using it on and off since my 17th b'day.. and still can't get it perfect. Arghh!

Just as well I'm Chinese. ^^

"Listen when your hurting someone, don't think of the pain he feels, only concentrate on the pleasure of causing him pain. That's the only way to show true compassion for your partner." - taken from Korosiya Ichi
UltraNEO* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 09:07 AM   #161
Bete Noire

I don't really do make-up. My face is a wierd shape anyway and I think any form of make-up would just emphasise this.... Oh well eh.
Bete Noire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 10:53 AM   #162
WolfMoon

Hey Xng, how about describing how you put the eye-liner on? That might be helpful.

Old 01-09-2006, 01:04 PM   #163
Black Widow

Location: Behind you, possibly making sweet love to random pieces of furniture while singing Dragostea Din Tei
I wear nail polish sometimes. That can be pretty cool. However, if you don't put some 'finishing top coat' stuff on it, maintaining it is a bitch and a half.
Black Widow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 04:00 PM   #164
UltraNEO*

Finally thought I should do something for me. I'd treated myself to some Lash Architect... Wow... I love the applicator!

Thought you'd like to know

"Listen when your hurting someone, don't think of the pain he feels, only concentrate on the pleasure of causing him pain. That's the only way to show true compassion for your partner." - taken from Korosiya Ichi
Old 01-09-2006, 04:58 PM   #165
joyslayer

You know how much we all wanted to know that!

I can get the eyeliner to sit still, but it constantly bleeds off real easily and such, it just doesn't float in or on my boat, if you get my drift.

Hear no evil
Speak no evil
See no evil
Old 01-09-2006, 05:20 PM   #166
UltraNEO*

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyslayer
You know how much we all wanted to know that!

I can get the eyeliner to sit still, but it constantly bleeds off real easily and such, it just doesn't float in or on my boat, if you get my drift.

nevermind aye...

Old 01-10-2006, 10:20 AM   #167
Wise Child

If you have money to burn, BeneFit do this thing called She-Laq. A little bit on top of your eyeliner and it ain't going anywhere. A friend of mine had it, and it's freakin' amazing. Only downside is it's pretty expensive - about fourteen quid. I'm not sure what that is in dollars, but I'm guessing it's still quite a bit for a little stick.

A dream is just a nightmare with lipstick ~ Toni Morrison
Wise Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 02:22 PM   #168
WolfMoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xnguela
Too logical, Wolfy. C'mon, I'm still a teenager for almost a year. I have to be illogical and annoying while it lasts!
Meh, guess we can let you slide for a year then.
Old 01-10-2006, 02:34 PM   #169
Metatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamforthedead
The 90-year-old hooker look is always a turn on..

Her name is Edna the Juice Box...Can you say YUMMY?
Old 01-23-2006, 07:19 PM   #170
Jane13

Um... that picture frightens me. About the make-up everyone's said some good stuff... if you're into it, get some eyelash glue and glue some stuff to your face. Seriously! I love gluing little pieces of circuit board to my face. Make sure whatever you're gluing is small.. otherwise you'll just look like you had an adhesive accident and you don't have the time to make a trip to the emergency room. Also, if you can't get eyeliner to work (I know... it sucks sometimes) I say go for eyeshadow.... yup.
"There's straw in his brains and his clothing is stained with mice and small newts and the perfectly maimed. Don't look under his hood in the place where he stood or you'll find yourself running from the rook in the wood."
-Cinema Strange
Jane13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 11:44 PM   #171
Blushing Heliophobe

Agreed on the eyeshadow bit.

It's certainly not a goth example, but in Alexander his boy-toy wears shadow/liner. It looks awesome. I think if it fits a guy's personal style then some smoky shadow is definitely hot. And girls too
Blushing Heliophobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 12:36 AM   #172
Empty_Purple_Stars

This is the best example I could find of what Blushing mentioned..

Jared Leto in Alexander.

Oh and the KEY to good Shadow Liner is a decent angle brush.

You just can't get it perfect without one.
Empty_Purple_Stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 01:13 AM   #173
Blushing Heliophobe

Jared Leto is the prettiest man I've ever seen...
Blushing Heliophobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 08:24 AM   #174
Persephone

Also watch out for your eye's shape, if they're small or to close toghether forget about eyeliner; mascara and some shadow on the outer corners will do, otherwise you'll look like your brain is sucking your eyes in...

If you don't have such problems then, wear whatever you feel comfortable with.

A personal tip: instead of liquid eyeliner or pencils, use eyeshadow with a THIN wet brush, it'll look just like eyeliner but it's easier to handle, and to correct, and it'll last longer.

If you like foudations go for "pancake" instead of liquid foundations, it gives a more natural look, even if you're applying a lighter tone than your own. And last but not least; I don't think it's a good idea to look like a mask so, for the love of whatever you hold dear, get the foundation as far as necessary until it reaches your shirt collar and your ears!!

Whatever your choice is, the most important thing about your apperance it's to make your own statement and feel comfortable in your own skin, most of the time a certain look looks forced not so much because it's overdone, but because who's wearing it doesn't feel it.

(You should see me wearing pink; I look like a corpse...¬¬)

And I wrote all that about make-up? Give me some Valium, I need to sleep.
Persephone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 10:48 AM   #175
Empty_Purple_Stars

I am going to respectfully disagree with you on a few points, Persephone.

Unless you are going to be on camera or on stage, Pancake Foundation is WAY too hard on your skin. It's very heavy and wreaks havoc on your pores.

As a former Make-Up Artist, I only used Pancake foundation for Photo or Television Shoots.

It's also harder to work with if you aren't experienced with the proper application technique. If you are too heavy handed with the application, it ends up clumping in a way that is not flattering in the slightest.

I reccomend a Water Base Foundation in almost all cases. It is much more gentle on your skin, feels nicer when it is applied, and is much easier to work with than Pancake.

Always apply your moisturizer before you apply your foundation. This will allow for a much more even application and is healthier for your skin. It also will make your foundation application last MUCH longer.

Which brings me to my next point of disagreement.

Unless you are going to be on camera, there should NEVER be a reason to apply foundation to your neck or your ears.

Here's why:

Unless you are going for a very Pale look, Foundation should ALWAYS be matched to your natural skin pigment. If you select a foundation that is the right shade for you, your neck and your ears will naturally match your face, WITHOUT applying foundation to these areas. A good way to test and match, is too apply a tiny bit to the underside of your wrist. That particular patch of skin is usually very close to the pigment of your face. You know you have the right shade, when the foundation 'disapears' upon blending. You shouldn't be able to see it, only the 'effects' of it.

Also be sure to select a foundation that is 'cool' or 'warm' based depending on your particular skin tone. A cool based 'Beige' for example, is VERY different from a warm-based 'Beige'. Again, you should be able to tell the difference when testing it.

Unless you are a Mole like me, you should also plan to use a different foundation shade for summer and winter. If you get any color at all on your face during the summer, a base a few shades darker than your winter shade will work much better and keep you from looking like you are wearing a 'mask'.

When applying base, it should be applied to the Inner 3/4 of your face, and only feathered out to your jawline and hairline for blending. Don't apply the base all the way out. Simply blend what you have applied to the middle. This also ensures there is no tell-tale mask-like effect. But matching the proper shade with your skin tone, reduces the chances of that happening.

A GOOD quality wedge shaped Latex Sponge is also key for application purposes. A pack of decent Latex sponges should last you quite a while. They can be tossed into a Lingerie Bag and thrown into the washing machine when they need to be cleaned. Wash them fairly often to prevent breakouts.

When buying Latex Sponges, you can tell good quality from bad by the number of 'Pores' visible in the Sponge. The better quality the sponge, the fewer pores it will have. This is important because you don't want your sponge to suck up all of your foundation before you even get it on your face. It also allows for a smoother, more natural application.

Most good Theatrical supply companies, sell quality Latex Sponges.

The kind you can get at the drug store will do in a pinch, but they really aren't ideal.

Last but not least, if you don't NEED Foundation, or really want that 'look', don't wear it.

Younger women, with pretty skin, really don't need to wear make-up base.

If your skin is gorgeous to begin with, don't bother with the base.

Xnguela for example, has beautiful skin and doesn't need to apply foundation unless she really wants to for a special occasion. It is much better for your skin to go without, and it certainly isn't a requirement.

If you don't need it, don't wear it.

Empty_Purple_Stars is offline   Reply With Quote