Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 08-30-2007, 01:01 PM   #51
Lapin

Yeah. I work in theatre and attend college courses.

Theatre = Dressing however I want and being considered "normal".

Seriously, have you seen how most theatre techs dress? It's either "Jeans, t-shirt, work boots" (Construction crew) or "It's pretty/sparkly/feathery/shiny/beady/etc." (Make-up, costume, set design)

I consider myself fairly conservative actually. Most of my clothes were not borrowed/pilfered from the costume storage at least.
Lapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 04:04 PM   #52
Opteron_Man

I dress up every day too. it makes me feel comfortable. i don't mind the looks i get at the market. i am just being me so fuck 'em
Opteron_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 04:07 PM   #53
Breathless Horror

I dress up all the time as well, except for makeup. As I'm a complete idiot regarding makeup I have to get people to help me, so I only get fully gothed up for special occasions.

A prank a day keeps the dog leash away - Jello Biafra

I want your skulls! I NEED your skulls! - Misfits
Breathless Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 05:54 PM   #54
thedoll

Something about this thread really irked me... Did you just post with the intent of bashing the over dressed? You seemed shocked when most didn't agree with you. Not an attack, just curious.

I love dressing up, its just a matter of time in the mornings. I love fashion too, so thats probably where that stems from.

I'd like to do more than survive, I'd like to rub it in your face. -The Dresden Dolls
thedoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 07:30 PM   #55
Godslayer Jillian

Well, I for one am of the opinion of Death Mask of disliking try-hards.
Thing is, I don't agree with her small example of try-hards:
Not a try-hard: 'I don't want to look like shit for the grocery store, I'll do my hair and put on a corset.'
Try-hard: 'Well, it's 95 outside and I'm going to be loitering outside all day, but I don't care, I want to dress with my big boots and my leather trench coat so that people can know what a rebel I am'
Not a try-hard: 'It's club night! I'm gonna tease my hair until it's about to fall from my scalp and wear about five layers of ripped up shirts whose net amount of fabric barely complete a real shirt and a half! ^^'
Try-hard: 'God damn it, there were so many people dressed so cool last time... That's it! Tomorrow, I'm buying the most expensive striped tights I can find and buying an obscene amount of condoms to wear on my hair. Then they'll see just how good a style I have.'
Fucked-up moron: Oh well, I'm just going to the groceries, so jeans and a Tshirt is ok, but I'll throw in my velvet cape and my fake fangs just so they can know I am in fact a goth.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 11:50 PM   #56
Lestiet

I really don't give a rat's ass what anyone thinks of me and what I wear. If I feel like wearing my badass boots one day to the grocery store, I will goddamn wear my boots, and no one will stop me! Furthermore, I couldn't be bothered by what anyone else is wearing, unless if I happen to like their style or something of the sort. If fat preppish girls want to wear leggings and a bra to the supermarket (which I've seen), then all the more power to them!
Lestiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 04:14 AM   #57
Death_Mask

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoll
Something about this thread really irked me... Did you just post with the intent of bashing the over dressed? You seemed shocked when most didn't agree with you. Not an attack, just curious.

I love dressing up, its just a matter of time in the mornings. I love fashion too, so thats probably where that stems from.
No, not shocked. I was just curious about what other people thought about this. I’m wondering if I’m the only one who feels this way.
Death_Mask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 04:16 AM   #58
Death_Mask

[quote=Lestiet]If fat preppish girls want to wear leggings and a bra to the supermarket (which I've seen)[quote]

How disturbing!
Old 08-31-2007, 08:51 AM   #59
Underwater Ophelia

[quote=Death_Mask][quote=Lestiet]If fat preppish girls want to wear leggings and a bra to the supermarket (which I've seen)
Quote:

How disturbing!
No more disturbing than fat goth girls in leggings and ill-fitting corsets.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 08:51 AM   #60
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godslayer Jillian
Fucked-up moron: Oh well, I'm just going to the groceries, so jeans and a Tshirt is ok, but I'll throw in my velvet cape and my fake fangs just so they can know I am in fact a goth.
Hahahahaha! That made my morning.
Old 08-31-2007, 09:03 AM   #61
CountSixstring

I don't really care. If I deck out then I'll do so, but it is overdone at times. Like when my best friend wear his tail and people just stare at us. I'm all like "Whyyyyyy" and he NEVER notices. Over doing it is a waste of time and can be a health hazard (There was a fat chick passed out in front of wal-mart because she decided to dress up in all her shit and it was the end of July) and then you just end up looking stupid. Other than that. Do what you must, but it's the stupid part about it that makes people hate us so much.
CountSixstring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 09:23 AM   #62
delicti

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountSixstring
Like when my best friend wear his tail and people just stare at us.
That has nothing to do with him over-doing it. That has to do with the fact that he's wearing a tail. Please be a good friend and tell him to stop.
Old 08-31-2007, 09:44 AM   #63
Breathless Horror

When you say "tail", do you mean a tail as in what a cat has? Because I would agree that the fact that he's got a animal tail or whatever is the reason he's being stared at, not the he is "over-doing " it.

A prank a day keeps the dog leash away - Jello Biafra

I want your skulls! I NEED your skulls! - Misfits
Breathless Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 10:05 AM   #64
Death_Mask

[quote=Underwater Ophelia][quote=Death_Mask]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lestiet
If fat preppish girls want to wear leggings and a bra to the supermarket (which I've seen)
No more disturbing than fat goth girls in leggings and ill-fitting corsets.
Or just any fat girl in leggings?
Old 08-31-2007, 10:10 AM   #65
Apathy's_Child

Leggings, period. Leggings are just ALL wrong. No, I don't care if you look like Angelina Jolie.

Witches have no wit, said the magician who was weak.
Hula, hula, said the witches. - Norman Mailer
Apathy's_Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 10:16 AM   #66
Death_Mask

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apathy's_Child
Leggings, period. Leggings are just ALL wrong. No, I don't care if you look like Angelina Jolie.
Oh come on! Leggings rule!
Old 08-31-2007, 10:17 AM   #67
Saphyra Runa

STOP IT! Stop picking on fat people. Nobody makes fun of you for what you wear? What you do? Does it make you feel all warm and fuzzy inside to make fun of fat people?

Overweight goth people are just trying to find their niche in life just like you are. Find a place where they feel accepted. Nope, not here. You are far too concerned with whether they are fashionably dressed to your satisfaction.

Pardon the unfinishedness of it all
Saphyra Runa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 10:21 AM   #68
Death_Mask

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saphyra Runa
STOP IT! Stop picking on fat people. Nobody makes fun of you for what you wear? What you do? Does it make you feel all warm and fuzzy inside to make fun of fat people?

Overweight goth people are just trying to find their niche in life just like you are. Find a place where they feel accepted. Nope, not here. You are far too concerned with whether they are fashionably dressed to your satisfaction.
Fine, I’ll stop. But the leggings thing is still disturbing…
Old 08-31-2007, 10:24 AM   #69
Saphyra Runa

And just for you I will run amok in my leggings and sports bra.
Does my fat disturb you? You might want to see a psychiatrist about that.

Pardon the unfinishedness of it all
Saphyra Runa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 10:54 AM   #70
Death_Mask

Talking

Quote:
You might want to see a psychiatrist about that.
Really? What makes you say that?
Old 08-31-2007, 10:57 AM   #71
Apathy's_Child

The way I see it, talking about over weight people dressing in clothes that make you wince isn't any different to commenting on someone for wearing a face caked in makeup that doesn't suit them and looks terrible. Or bow-legged girls who wear really short skirts. Or like Godslayer Jillian said, wearing a cape and fangs with your jeans just so everyone with think "wow goth!"

And it's not that you have a problem with overweight people, or people who wear makeup or bow-legged girls or goths...... it's just that the one you happen to be looking at looks fucking stupid.

Witches have no wit, said the magician who was weak.
Hula, hula, said the witches. - Norman Mailer
Apathy's_Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 11:02 AM   #72
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:

I don't know if you're addressing me or not, but just to clarify, my post had very little to do with fat people and everything to do with the "prep" vs. "goth" thing.
Old 08-31-2007, 11:05 AM   #73
LadyLucretia

Quote:
And just for you I will run amok in my leggings and sports bra.
Does my fat disturb you? You might want to see a psychiatrist about that.
And you might want to see a nutritionist and join a gym.

Hey, if you can call someone mentally ill for being disturbed by body fat, then I think I'm well within my rights to point out that being overweight is simply not healthy. Name calling is name calling, whether the name is "fat" or "crazy."
LadyLucretia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 11:06 AM   #74
Death_Mask

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underwater Ophelia
I don't know if you're addressing me or not, but just to clarify, my post had very little to do with fat people and everything to do with the "prep" vs. "goth" thing.

No she was addressing me and one more person.
Old 08-31-2007, 11:38 AM   #75
badteccy

Quote:
Originally Posted by delicti
That has nothing to do with him over-doing it. That has to do with the fact that he's wearing a tail. Please be a good friend and tell him to stop.
YES! Thank you.
Wearing a tail...what the christ? I'm also against kitty ears if you are 16+ or it's halloween, OR your SO has a cat girl fetish (???), just keep that in the bedroom..
I mean, do whatcha want but I still think it's fucking stupid looking.
badteccy is offline   Reply With Quote