Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 09-04-2007, 10:35 AM   #126
Draconysius

Gothicmaximus, this is truly a sisyphean battle.
Draconysius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 10:52 AM   #127
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyLucretia
I am a psychic and I have a psychic prediction for you. Two, in fact.

#1. In five years, if you are still involved with the goth scene, my prediction is that you will look back at your current self with a sentiment akin to, "Wow, remember when I used to use way too many big words because I thought it was cool, and I used to wear that cape everywhere? Man I was such a tool!"

#2. If/once you stop wearing the cape, you will find that your reputation as "that guy in the cape" will follow you around for at least another few months, if not years. Even if most people forget, some asshole who knows you now will still try to blackmail you with pictures of you in the cape at 7 11 or something. Hopefully by then you will have developed enough of a sense of humor to deal with it.
...so he likes a cape. Get over it.
He doesn't come to your house and his cape gets in your coffee and stuff. You don't trip over it. It didn't smother your cat.
He just likes his cape. Who the fuck cares?
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 11:02 AM   #128
Linen

I, too, have an office job, so I don't see the point in dressing elaborately on a daily basis. I do wear gothy-casual clothes at work most of the time without having to go all-out (actually I rarely even wear makeup to work because I just sit at the computer all day & don't deal with the public). At nights and on the weekends, however, that's a different story. Mind you there are many things I *would* wear out in random public places if I had the money for them.
Linen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 11:04 AM   #129
delicti

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothicusmaximus
Maybe I don't fit in with goth as you perceive it. "What constitutes a goth" is a question whose answer is bound to be subjective, and if your answer is different enough from mine its highly likely that, in your view, I'm not goth. I'll still wear the cape, though.
Well, that's much more practical. Although I reserve the right to chuckle ever time I think about your weird fashion statement.

You should be aware that the cape is likely to make you distrusted at any goth night, though, so you'll probably find that the experience of actually acting on your theory of personal identity is going to be extremely hard.

If you want a cursory definition of goth, I posted in a thread here:

https://www.gothic.net/boards/showth...9&page=2&pp=35
Old 09-04-2007, 11:15 AM   #130
Linen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death_Mask
I still can’t get my lip pierced though as this would make me look like a “rock star idiot” or a “stupid hippy”.
??? Get your lipped pierced if you think it will look good on you. Who gives a shit?! When I got my nose pierced, my boss called me a "hippy" (in a silly way) and I just laughed. I didn't let it bother me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by delicti
That has nothing to do with him over-doing it. That has to do with the fact that he's wearing a tail. Please be a good friend and tell him to stop.
LMAO! I saw some people at Ren Faire with GIANT tails attached to normal clothes (jeans, t-shirt). What bothered me more than the concept of wearing animal tails seeming childish was that these were REAL animal tails. That's fucked up.
Linen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 11:36 AM   #131
DarkGentleman

That reminds me, just the other day my daughter asked me about her getting her lip pierced. She's only 15 and I wasn't sure if she really gave it some serious thought or she was just trying to prove something. She tried to get permission from me, but I told her that we should discuss with her mother as well and then she just dropped the discussion.
Well I don't like pissing off my ex for allowing our daughter to do something that wasn't agreed upon us all. I personally have no problem with her getting it done, I rather be fair as a parent that my ex should have her say in this.

I told my daughter that she waited a little bit, I would love to pay for her first tattoo if she ever wanted one.
DarkGentleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 11:53 AM   #132
Death_Mask

Unhappy

[quote=Linen]??? Get your lipped pierced if you think it will look good on you. Who gives a shit?! When I got my nose pierced, my boss called me a "hippy" (in a silly way) and I just laughed. I didn't let it bother me.QUOTE]

I agree with you, I already have my nose pierced but I still have to live with my parents so if they say no then it’s a no.
Death_Mask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 01:49 PM   #133
Breathless Horror

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkGentleman

I told my daughter that she waited a little bit, I would love to pay for her first tattoo if she ever wanted one.
Why can't you be my father?!?! If I get a tattoo or any other piercing than ear lobe, I lose my living space

A prank a day keeps the dog leash away - Jello Biafra

I want your skulls! I NEED your skulls! - Misfits
Breathless Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 02:09 PM   #134
LadyLucretia

Quote:
In short, I'm not all up in your shit because you prefer to restrict the breadth of your vocabulary, so why are you all up in mine because I occassionally throw in a word of more than two syllables in length?
Your buttons are far too easy to push. I was actually all up in your shit because you wear a cape everywhere, and I think it screams "I'm young and foolish!" really really loud. Ultimately, it is your right to be as young and silly looking as you like. I can't say that I was ever quite on your level of, erm, eccentricity, but the times I came somewhat close remain a source of bemused embarrassment. I just suspect you'll feel similarly eventually.

You shouldn't quibble with psychics, anyway.
LadyLucretia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 02:14 PM   #135
LadyLucretia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underwater Ophelia
...so he likes a cape. Get over it.
He doesn't come to your house and his cape gets in your coffee and stuff. You don't trip over it. It didn't smother your cat.
He just likes his cape. Who the fuck cares?
To be perfectly honest - there are things that I wore as a teenager, where I wish there was someone who had said to me "WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU THINKING?" I even almost bought a cape once, but thankfully had the good sense not to - but only by a thin margin and due to a lot of people telling me what a stupid idea it was. It's like having spinach in your teeth, or bird poop in your hair, or toilet paper stuck to your shoe - some things are so undeniably bad that you are obligated to tell the person about it. Capes are worse than these examples, because it is done on purpose. It's really just a pet peeve though, I'm not some anti-cape crusader, I'm just an anti-lame crusader. If he is entitled to think it's cool, then I'm entitled to think it's lame.
Old 09-04-2007, 03:46 PM   #136
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
To be perfectly honest - there are things that I wore as a teenager, where I wish there was someone who had said to me "WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU THINKING?" I even almost bought a cape once, but thankfully had the good sense not to - but only by a thin margin and due to a lot of people telling me what a stupid idea it was. It's like having spinach in your teeth, or bird poop in your hair, or toilet paper stuck to your shoe - some things are so undeniably bad that you are obligated to tell the person about it. Capes are worse than these examples, because it is done on purpose. It's really just a pet peeve though, I'm not some anti-cape crusader, I'm just an anti-lame crusader. If he is entitled to think it's cool, then I'm entitled to think it's lame.
You're entitled to think whatever you'd like. It's mean and rude to get on his case for liking something you don't.

Instead, why not congratulate him for having the balls to wear something considered "uncool" because he likes it?
THAT is what goth is about.
Old 09-04-2007, 04:25 PM   #137
LadyLucretia

Quote:
You're entitled to think whatever you'd like. It's mean and rude to get on his case for liking something you don't.
Well, this *is* a thread called "Try Hards." Him coming on here and advertising that he wears a cape 24/7 was foolish if he wasn't expecting a discussion to ensue. I reserve the right to express my opinion laced with a heavy dose of snark. You may have noticed that my bullshit meter is extremely sensitive; I know this won't make me popular, but quite frankly, I don't care.
Old 09-04-2007, 05:37 PM   #138
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
You may have noticed that my bullshit meter is extremely sensitive; I know this won't make me popular, but quite frankly, I don't care.
It's funny because you're saying that to me.

Same here. And it's bullshit that you're making fun of him.
The thread is called "try-hards" and he's not trying hard to do anything. So, really, the whole issue is irrelevant.
Old 09-04-2007, 05:39 PM   #139
LadyLucretia

Quote:
It's funny because you're saying that to me.

Same here. And it's bullshit that you're making fun of him.
We clearly have different definitions of bullshit.
Old 09-04-2007, 05:44 PM   #140
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
We clearly have different definitions of bullshit.
Mine being right, and yours being wrong.

HAR HAR.

And with that, I end it.
Old 09-04-2007, 06:38 PM   #141
LadyLucretia

Quote:
Mine being right, and yours being wrong.

HAR HAR.

And with that, I end it.
And what it all comes down to, is whose shit stinks less. Ah, t3H iNt3RweBz.
Old 09-05-2007, 12:27 AM   #142
TopHaggardDoll

Quote:
I can almost guarantee that I recieve more comments than you do
I'm sure, because I don't get called a tranny every five minutes.
We all deal with the same crap from the general public, I doubt you can claim that you get more crap than any of us.

Oh wait...i'm a conformist, I remember. I musn't get called names on the street.

*rolls eyes*
Old 09-05-2007, 03:49 AM   #143
Cicero

I actually quite like when people dress to the nines and/or look ridiculous anytime and anywhere.

It makes me feel superior.

Actually I'm semi-kidding there. I really don't give a flying fuck what people wear, as long as I don't trip over it. Though it does offend my eyes a little to see five hundred people in one day wearing the exact same hideous outfit I saw in the window of Target's "Hot Options" the day before. It makes me feel sad for the world of fashion.

My Etsy store: www.Cicero1334.etsy.com

[And check out 1334 while you're at it: www.myspace.com/club1334 ]
Cicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 04:36 PM   #144
CountSixstring

Wow guys. You can wear shit you want. A big part of Goth is, of course, the aesthetic. Listen to this though, Goths aren't the cream of the crop, therefore, sometimes you should tone it down because it is impuding. You're not "Selling Out". You're being real. It screws with people's heads and limits your possibilities, despite how cool it looks (Because it does). Don't sacrifice who you are, but don't be retarded. The try hards do exist and there's nothing that we can do about it, but it is a proper thing to acknowledge and address. It is true how delicti puts it, but the problem is this: The majority of the fat chicks do it to be seen. No one is discriminating against fatties, goths, or fat goths, but the majority of them make it look bad because all of the fat girls who won't do anything for themselves (Self empowerment, excersise) they decide to go "Goth" but it's mostly people who go to hot topic and drop tons of cash on spooky kid bullcrap, they aren't goth. Truat me. I used to work at Hot Topic and I saw this first hand. The try hards come in poseur form and real goth form. it's a sad, but true, fact.
CountSixstring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 05:49 PM   #145
LaBelleDameSansMerci

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathChii
I just wear what ever I feel like wearing... regardless of where I am going =P
I know that was quoted from a long time ago, but *high-fives fellow random outfittist* That's mainly what I do. The only time I dress according to where I'm going is if I'm going to the studio, in which case I wear a shirt over my actual clothes, and maybe put on some crappy jeans. I also tend to goth-down when I'm going somewhere with parents/other relatives.

Most of my wardrobe consists of black jeans/jean-like pants, black tanktops and black shirts. I'm slowly working on this though, and have a few lacey spiffy shirts.
I need to find some shirts/tank tops that I can modify. I have a bunch of material with which to do it, so.... :\ I sense a shopping trip coming up.
Like a tea-tray in the sky.

LaBelleDameSansMerci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 07:04 AM   #146
chelseagirl

I'm the same as Death Chii. I just wear whatever I feel like wearing at the time. Some days, I'll walk around the house doing cleaning and laundry in 7" platform boots and a corset. I've been known to dress up and put in hair extensions just to go to the grocery store, etc. But, I'll also go to clubs sometimes in stretch jeans and creepers and a t-shirt, if I feel like it.
Old 09-06-2007, 03:54 PM   #147
Draconysius

It really comes down to what you're comfortable in. Think of a Middle-Eastern woman in an American store, wearing a full-body cloak. That's her culture, that's what she's comfortable in. It's not typical attire here, but she wears it anyway. That's kind of how it feels for me, and I'm sure many others.
Draconysius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 04:27 PM   #148
Clockwork

I don't see anything wrong at all with looking particularly outlandish, and applaud any person who does it without looking bad. I choose to dress for the occasion, though; I wouldn't be all gothed out around some of my older relatives, or if I'm staying in the house all day.
Old 09-06-2007, 04:45 PM   #149
LadyLucretia

Quote:
Originally Posted by chelseagirl
Some days, I'll walk around the house doing cleaning and laundry in 7" platform boots and a corset.
Where is this magical store that makes heels and corsets comfortable enough to do housework in?

I never wear heels more than 2" high, even at the clubs (well, especially at the clubs - I like to dance!). And even in my most comfortable corset, I can barely move around enough to buckle my boots or bend down to pick something up. So I am admittedly mystified at how you do chores in these things! I'm assuming you're not a tightlacer .
Old 09-07-2007, 10:30 AM   #150
gothicusmaximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopHaggardDoll

Oh wait...i'm a conformist, I remember. I musn't get called names on the street.

*rolls eyes*
You're taking a great deal of umbrage to my insinuation that people who attack those who chose to wear capes are conformists, but in attacking someone who wears a cape, one implies that he or she would prefer that person refrain from wearing a cape and dress in a manner more similar to that in which other people dress. Isn't that conformity?
All this aside, I would like to apologize to anyone who made fun of my predeliction for capes if I came off a little excessively combatative in my initial response. I realize the things you said were the sort of things I would have shrugged off or ignored had they been said to me in some other context- I was, I suppose, simply caught somewhat 'off guard' , as it were, having expected, for some reason, that the goth community might contain more cape-wearers, or at least cape-wearer-sympathizers, than it apparently does. I guess I'll just have to accept that, even in the context of this subculture, I'm an eccentric person with eccentric aesthetic tastes to which other people are bound to react aversely.

Quote:
Your buttons are far too easy to push. I was actually all up in your shit because you wear a cape everywhere, and I think it screams "I'm young and foolish!" really really loud. Ultimately, it is your right to be as young..
Again with that weird "older-than-thou" attitude. You seem to have this philosophy that your opinions on any given matter are immutably the correct judgement regarding that matter, and that everyone will eventually grow to share those opinions or simply live a life of miserable ignorance. Some people like to wear lime-green squorts, but I'm assuming you don't, does that make people who wear lime-green squorts foolish or immature? Some people's aesthetic tastes compel them to tattoo their entire bodies with leopard spots, but those people are no more 'foolish' than you are- they're just different. All I really want to say, ultimately, is that if you want me to respect you for your professed age and wisdom, stop being petty and condescending like a junior high school student, giggling at how 'easy' it is to agitate someone who is apparently so many years your junior with puerile insults, and grow up.
gothicusmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote