Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 03-14-2008, 01:44 PM   #126
DarkPrayer

Location: In a place covered in darkness but filled with only good people
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maldarion_Haliax
You know when I was little (like 4-9) we'd go to the mall and see punks and goths with their hair all done up and multiple colors and my mother would make fun of them and then ask me what I thought of them,I regret now telling her what she wanted to hear instead of telling her how much I envied them and now I am goth.hahaha I wonder what she really thinks of it.
My Dad did the same with me. I usually just shrugged. He never made fun of them, he said just stuff like, "Sofie, are you scared of those punks/goths?" or "Sofie, do you think they're cool?" I wasn't scared, and I DID think it was somewhat cool.
DarkPrayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 01:48 PM   #127
Maldarion_Haliax

At least he didn't put them down.
I assume you are Sofie,I like that name.
I just hate judgemental people.
Maldarion_Haliax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 02:55 PM   #128
prophecyofdoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionic_angel

You know, I hate to point this out, but if people approving of you is a major influence in your life, you're probably in the wrong sub-culture.

Personally, I was teased and criticized before I started gothing up, I'm criticized now, and I'll be criticized in the future. It's in people's nature, and the sooner you realize that it can't do anything to you the better.

One thing I've learned is that you can't make anyone happy all of the time, so I guarantee that you are either going to have to learn to ignore people, or be miserable, goth or not.
Of course. I completely agree with you. I need no one's approval. I just wish there was a way I could block out things people say to me, because I've heard so much criticism (from the same two people, who unfortunately I can't avoid seeing) that now the slightest negativity anyone else expresses is starting to make me feel ganged up upon. I'm so tired of other peoples opinions right now, and it's making me angry that even when these people are not around, my mind manufactures the things they would be saying if they were, and it stresses me out. Makes me doubt myself. I don't always feel like this. I'm just going through a stressful time. It will pass.

Help us to be the always hopeful
Gardeners of the spirit
Who know that without darkness
Nothing comes to birth
As without light
Nothing flowers
-May Sarton
prophecyofdoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 03:07 PM   #129
ionic_angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by prophecyofdoom
Of course. I completely agree with you. I need no one's approval. I just wish there was a way I could block out things people say to me, because I've heard so much criticism (from the same two people, who unfortunately I can't avoid seeing) that now the slightest negativity anyone else expresses is starting to make me feel ganged up upon. I'm so tired of other peoples opinions right now, and it's making me angry that even when these people are not around, my mind manufactures the things they would be saying if they were, and it stresses me out. Makes me doubt myself. I don't always feel like this. I'm just going through a stressful time. It will pass.
Well, I can sympathize with you there. I usually think about all the people who do accept what I look like when I'm tempted to focus on the "annoying people".

Oddly enough, I too have two people who bug the heck out of me at times.
ionic_angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 04:50 PM   #130
300pockets

Location: Planet Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Universe, Dimension 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maldarion_Haliax
You know when I was little (like 4-9) we'd go to the mall and see punks and goths with their hair all done up and multiple colors and my mother would make fun of them and then ask me what I thought of them,I regret now telling her what she wanted to hear instead of telling her how much I envied them and now I am goth.hahaha I wonder what she really thinks of it.
Dude, that majorly sucks. I would ask your mother what she thinks of them now that you have joined our dark ranks.

You know it's because of the cookies...don't deny...
300pockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 12:44 AM   #131
Viruella

with no details:

They scream, the ask, they talk, and do everything on their hands to get my attention. They often scream "halloween!"

is really pathetic!

and my work is : to always ignore each one of them

sometimes they come up with such creative comments that i try not to laugh at their face, because they will notice i was paying attention to them

whilst sometimes i actually like when they call me witch i hate when they simply hate it when they start insulting

here where i live is quite hell with that situation
believe me >.<
Viruella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 10:21 PM   #132
Solstice

I've never really gotten an extreme reaction because of my attire. People naturally glance, others laugh. But generally speaking most of the scorn I get comes from alternitive folk who assume i'm a posuer because I can not afford "proper" goth clothes.

I just ignore it.
Solstice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 10:29 PM   #133
electrosexual

Well I get strange looks and maybe the odd stupid comment like "Love yer boots" (I always wear platforms).

TBH I think the reason why I don't get much abuse is because most people think I'm a girl.
electrosexual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 12:33 AM   #134
Viruella

Quote:
Originally Posted by electrosexual
TBH I think the reason why I don't get much abuse is because most people think I'm a girl.
reminds me that my friends (those who are boys) always get all the dirt from the mundane people

when i wear "sexy" clothes (mini skirts and such) people don't insult they just whistle and yell random things

"thats the type of woman i like" bastard!
"if she weren't a witch, i'll do her." eww!
"she looks like a satanic amy lee." wtf?

sucks
Viruella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 02:04 AM   #135
ionic_angel

I should note that one reason I probably don't get many comments is because I don't dress up that much. Usually just all black, with boots and gloves, and maybe a little eyeliner.

Or it could be the fact that I'm fairly well built and solidly muscled, and I look dangerous to make fun of. :-P I suppose not being able to pull off the "ethereal" look all that well (yet, anyway) has its advantages.
ionic_angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 11:15 PM   #136
LaBelleDameSansMerci

People usually glance at me funny, or, when they're drunk in the caf on St. Patty's day, give me attempts at withering glares.
I've had one person give me an all-out, shamelessly astonished, gape-mouthed stare, and one I'm-frightened-for-my-life stare.

One of the older ladies who works at the caf keeps congratulating me on my daring fashion. It makes me feel more confident.
Like a tea-tray in the sky.

LaBelleDameSansMerci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 11:48 PM   #137
Tea and Cake or Death

People usually treat me alright. I haven't noticed many people looking at me. However, apparently I am much more known by my image in my small town than I thought I was. A friend of mine was trying to explain who I was to another friend of hers, and she pulled out a photo of us together. Then her friend, as the story I heard goes, said "Oh! Her! She's THAT girl.?" I was kind of shocked. *shrug* Hey, there aren't that many Goths here.

However, I have been asked if I was a devil worshiper, if I loved Marilyn Manson, and if I ever tried to kill myself or anyone else.
Tea and Cake or Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 01:19 AM   #138
Arashi

Of course, it comes with the whole package of dressing in a way that makes you happy.

When I was still attending the public schooling system, I got the usual stares, stupid questions "Do you worship the devil?!?" "Do you cut yourself?" "Are you a vampire?", et cetera. Most people were generally scared of me, so they left me alone, except for the few random dickheads that could gather up enough courage to attempt to harass me. I laughed in their faces and got their asses suspended.

In the general public, I get some occasional stares but people are usually surprisingly nice. Random people are more likely to give me compliments than to say crap. When I wear my knee-length platform boots, the most unlikely people seem to compliment them. Actually, the most unlikely people seem to compliment me in general, it's a lot of old ladies... o_o

In fact, the only time when people ever publicly expressed their petty opinions of my style were when I was outside, usually at night, walking my dog. They yelled out of their cars at me and the things they said ALWAYS involved 'Halloween'. Damn cowards can't seem to think of anything more creative xD This has happened about 2 or 3 times.

The definite plus side of all of this is that, right off the bat, I know of the people who I definitely would never want to associate with. The close-minded idiots who give me gaping stares, or scream stuff out of their car, or act like I'm terrifying because I like tattered skirts and big boots- these are the people who I instantly know I'm going to avoid. I must thank their efforts in pre-warning me that they are shallow and likely do not possess any views or opinions worth valuing. This way, I can "weed out" (as was said earlier in this thread) these people easily and find other human beings whose mindsets are much more appealing.
Old 03-22-2008, 08:31 AM   #139
KontanKarite

What I find very interesting is the power a goth or punk holds over the general public.

I'm going on an assumption here, but for the most part, I think we dress the way we do because we find more traditional clothing to be boring or not so appealing.

Now the point I'm getting at is that I doubt many of us really give a toss about how others present themselves in garb. A goth or a punk or someone dressed in jeans and hoodies, it leaves no reaction from me in the least. I for one do not care as I think most of us do. What's interesting is that people who ridicule us are so easy to manipulate. All we have to do is don a black fishnet shirt and all of a sudden, people are easily upset, they get angry, scared, offensive. We have this uncanny ability to make them act that way and we don't even really have to try that hard. It's like some weird kind of mind control.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 12:07 PM   #140
entity

Quote:
Originally Posted by crucifix
First off, I was a little offended because I AM NOT A VAMPIRE DEVIL WORSHIPPER!!!!!!! How many times do I have to say it?
I AM a devil vampire worshipper and I love it when people give me lip, I love seeing them bare their ignorance and xenophobia for all to see. Such a display of pure stupidity makes me smile.

Idiots.
entity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 12:42 PM   #141
blackwater1110

I'm very large-built guy (big rib chest and about 6'4") but skinny, and I never really have problems with people The only time was when a Nazi called me a 'gothic asshole' (In English which was weird), or the time I hung out in a fascist bar and someone through a screwdriver at me, but I suppose I should have expected it. Spain has a pretty strong underground radical political streak.

From the mainstream mundanes in Spain, I usually get "It's Marilyn Manson." I look nothing like the guy, his music's pretty good, but I most definitely find it more of an annoyance than a compliment to be likened to him, in compliment or in jest (and I've gotten it in both).

One of my friend's parents said to me one time, "You know, when you came to the party we thought you would be the one with the bad attitude. But now you have been so polite and charming, that we realized we misjudged you." When the combination of my garb and my demeanor has adults apologizing to me, I know I must be doing something right. It's like spreading enlightenment one person at a time.
blackwater1110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 02:37 PM   #142
blindNsect

I live in the deep south, and the parallels b/t here and Hell are many. I dress modestly goth, and do not wear makeup to school or work. However, the subculture is extremely controversial here. Mostly due to slipknotkids and their whathaveyou. I get bunched in with them on principle. It blows.

I think I am attracted to this kind of scene in large part b/c of the mind/social advantage that KontanKarite mentioned, but mostly b/c there are very few rules compared to popular culture, which is like, exhausting.
blindNsect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 03:26 PM   #143
Paigeybobert

Well, yes, because I dress tacky. But it's not really making fun of me, they just give me a hard time for never matching.
Paigeybobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 04:34 PM   #144
gothicusmaximus

Quote:
love it when people give me lip, I love seeing them bare their ignorance and xenophobia for all to see.
Oh no, everyone take cover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KontanKarite
A goth or a punk or someone dressed in jeans and hoodies, it leaves no reaction from me in the least.
Whenever I see another person who looks remotely goth, I give them a headbob and throw up a gang sign I invented. No one else does this?
gothicusmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 07:46 PM   #145
blindNsect

Yeah there is like a mutual understanding. But goths in this area are few and far between. Seeing someone wearing a Christian Death tshirt (or the equivalent) is so shocking that before I can get over it the person is gone, and chances are he/she doesn't live in the area. I have no idea what it feels like to have goth friends.
blindNsect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 08:07 PM   #146
Lolly PopMuzik

Quote:
Originally Posted by entity
I AM a devil vampire worshipper and I love it when people give me lip, I love seeing them bare their ignorance and xenophobia for all to see. Such a display of pure stupidity makes me smile.
Idiots.
So I take it that typing this post gave you blissful joy?
Lolly PopMuzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 09:30 PM   #147
dark_dragon_of_ice

This site has such a lulz potential.
dark_dragon_of_ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 09:40 PM   #148
Lolly PopMuzik

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark_dragon_of_ice
This site has such a lulz potential.
That's how I do round here, man.
Lolly PopMuzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 02:45 PM   #149
AngelikDemonik

I still never get any criticism. *shrugs*

I went out a few weeks ago, and I stopped at a store to get a pack of smokes. It was kind of late (near midnight), and the check-out girl assumed I was a dancer of some sort and complimented me on my outfit.

http://www.myspace.com/dancemydarling

AIM: ThisIsntSybil
AngelikDemonik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 07:44 PM   #150
Jaye Jang

I get the usual round of "Why do you wear black? Why don't you smile more often? Are you a satanist?" stuff, and I, too, have at least two people at work who absolutely hate me for being goth and who have made it clear thsy won't stop hounding my boss until she fires me. Believe me, I can relate.

However, on the flipside, I got a good laugh out of the whole thing once. I have these neighbors who are bikers, genuine He**'s Angels types with the black leathers, stringy hair, gnarly teeth, and tattoos and piercings everywhere -- and that's just the biker chicks! Really scary looking. Scared me anyway. Well, I was putting my cat in the truck to take him to the vet one day, and they were out on their Harleys with their biker chicks. One of the biker chicks' dogs ran up to me. He was a cute little beagle so I started to pet him, but then she ran up, grabbed the dog, backed away from me in stark terror --like I had the Plague or something --and said. "Don't go near the mean lady, honey. She might bite you." That's when I found out the scary biker dudes and biker chicks were actually scared of me! And I'm an ex-librarian. I thought that was a hoot.
Jaye Jang is offline   Reply With Quote