Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 06-02-2012, 09:14 PM   #476
Kasdeja

Props to Spooky Spencer for the 'shopped avatar!
If words could really hurt you, this forum would be one huge abbatoir.
Kasdeja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 12:28 AM   #477
pothead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasdeja View Post
your God is a false God, and my God is true, your God is created by men, My God created men, what special powers does your God have?
pothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 12:45 AM   #478
Murder.Of.Crows

Probably not the best fit, but I really wanted to post this pic here.
Old 06-03-2012, 11:18 AM   #479
Kasdeja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murder.Of.Crows View Post

I think it's great!

Props to Spooky Spencer for the 'shopped avatar!
If words could really hurt you, this forum would be one huge abbatoir.
Kasdeja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 10:06 PM   #480
pothead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murder.Of.Crows View Post

is that Arnold Schwarzenegger ?
Old 06-04-2012, 01:01 PM   #481
Timeless Rebellion

Pothead: Your god was created by man, MY god created man.
Forget me not, and keep my memory.
Timeless Rebellion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 12:41 AM   #482
pothead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeless Rebellion View Post
Pothead: Your god was created by man, MY god created man.
can you prove my God was created by man ?
Old 06-05-2012, 12:44 AM   #483
Timeless Rebellion

Can you prove that mine was?
Forget me not, and keep my memory.
Timeless Rebellion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 02:37 AM   #484
AshleyO

Quote:
Originally Posted by pothead View Post
can you prove my God was created by man ?
Well, yeah. I can.

Monotheism was never a constant unchanging idea that was monolithic over history.

Your particular god came through Abraham who was a pagan. He believed in MANY gods and the term "elohim" means putting a particular god over other gods. There has been many elohims from many many different pagans. Think of it as kind of like a marriage.

Eventually in ancient Israel, there was the cult of Yawhey who were followers of Israel's war god. It was because their confirmation bias led them to think Yawhey was more effective a god than Baal and the other gods of Israel. Baal was their fertility god until those who had Yawhey as their elohim had the followers of Baal murdered.

The evidence? The Ten commandments. Also, there has been plenty of prophets of your particular god that said your god was a very jealous god.

Monotheism came from this. Your god is basically a slimmed down revision of Hebrew and Babylonian paganism.

Read the first chapter of A History of God. Shit's awesome.

"God always picks the strangest things to get angry about. Get an abortion or gay married and he'll aim a tornado right at you.

Rip off a million poor people and Wall street has no problems. " -Rebecca B
AshleyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 12:12 AM   #485
pothead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeless Rebellion View Post
Can you prove that mine was?
yes but you won't listen, and you know your self that he is false
Old 06-07-2012, 12:20 AM   #486
AshleyO

Pothead. Read my post.

Fuckers make me want to reach across a mother fuckin' table

"God always picks the strangest things to get angry about. Get an abortion or gay married and he'll aim a tornado right at you.

Old 06-07-2012, 12:50 AM   #487
AshleyO

Old 06-07-2012, 08:03 PM   #488
pothead

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshleyO View Post
Well, yeah. I can.

Monotheism was never a constant unchanging idea that was monolithic over history.

Your particular god came through Abraham who was a pagan. He believed in MANY gods and the term "elohim" means putting a particular god over other gods. There has been many elohims from many many different pagans. Think of it as kind of like a marriage.

Eventually in ancient Israel, there was the cult of Yawhey who were followers of Israel's war god. It was because their confirmation bias led them to think Yawhey was more effective a god than Baal and the other gods of Israel. Baal was their fertility god until those who had Yawhey as their elohim had the followers of Baal murdered.

The evidence? The Ten commandments. Also, there has been plenty of prophets of your particular god that said your god was a very jealous god.

Monotheism came from this. Your god is basically a slimmed down revision of Hebrew and Babylonian paganism.

your wrong the term elohim is a name for the God which is three in one, and abraham was not a pagan he worshiped the true God, a pagan is a term for anyone who doesn't worship the true God, Jesus is God The Holy spirit is God and then there is God the father which are all three the same God
Old 06-07-2012, 09:07 PM   #489
Saya

Quote:
Well, yeah. I can.

Nitpick, Canaanite religion and Ancient Babylonian religion isn't interchangable. Elohim just means God and is comparable to us calling Yahweh "God." Plus, it was a term used more by the Northern Israelites (I think Armstrong mentions this as the Elohimist source?), in Judah texts they used "Yahweh".

The point of conflict with the Canaanite religions comes when the Hebrews re-enter Canaan from Egypt, they're punished for worshipping Baal right away when Moses is up on the mountain and any Hebrew subsequently even using Canaanite imagery, fighting back syncretism.

Also its not a bad start to getting how historic criticism of the Bible started but the JEPD sourcing is actually old as fuck and isn't very valid anymore.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 09:18 PM   #490
Saya

Or I should say, not valid in that there are more than four basic sources and its not always clear what came from what, but we still use the model to simplify.

Also, that should be Elohist, not Elohimist, sorry.
Old 06-08-2012, 03:41 PM   #491
shadowynne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasdeja View Post
hmmm i havnt really been feeling the pasta god but if he is also the god of ramen im in!
shadowynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 03:57 PM   #492
AshleyO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya View Post
Nitpick, Canaanite religion and Ancient Babylonian religion isn't interchangable. Elohim just means God and is comparable to us calling Yahweh "God." Plus, it was a term used more by the Northern Israelites (I think Armstrong mentions this as the Elohimist source?), in Judah texts they used "Yahweh".

The point of conflict with the Canaanite religions comes when the Hebrews re-enter Canaan from Egypt, they're punished for worshipping Baal right away when Moses is up on the mountain and any Hebrew subsequently even using Canaanite imagery, fighting back syncretism.

Also its not a bad start to getting how historic criticism of the Bible started but the JEPD sourcing is actually old as fuck and isn't very valid anymore.
I appreciate the correction. However, what I've seen by her book is that monotheism wasn't a historical constant. Unless of course that's changed somehow. The point is that if her assertion is correct, the god that pothead is proselytizing for is not the same god that modern theists are asserting now unless they take a fundamentalist approach, which I understand to be anti-historical.

Old 06-08-2012, 04:07 PM   #493
AshleyO

Actually Saya, I'm interested in this.

You said Elohim is just "god". I understand that Elohim was meant as a title; "the one most high". The one most high in comparison to what? The lesser gods?

That's my point. Has this understanding of the word Elohim changed?

Old 06-08-2012, 05:01 PM   #494
AshleyO

Okay, going back and looking at other sources, it would appear that historically the Jews believed in a "LOCAL" god. At best, they were originally henotheistic(sp), which means they believed in one god but more specifically THEIR god. What this also means is that they didn't doubt inherently in the existence of other gods and it would make sense that they would assume their local god was the "one most high". Basically from what I understand of it, they had their god, and other people had their own gods.

This of course would make a lot of sense in regards to the commandments, particularly the ones demanding that you hold your local god as your favorite before all other gods.

Old 06-08-2012, 06:42 PM   #495
Saya

Quote:
Actually Saya, I'm interested in this.

You said Elohim is just "god". I understand that Elohim was meant as a title; "the one most high". The one most high in comparison to what? The lesser gods?

That's my point. Has this understanding of the word Elohim changed?
I can't read Hebrew but from what I understand the "most high" thing is the explanation given for when the plural version is used in the Old Testament, but the singular is used often as well. We also don't really know if that's truly what the original authors meant by it, and generally I prefer to look at it anew than always take theologians at their word that this is what it always meant.

And yeah, there's nothing to say in the OT that no other gods exist, although there's things like God not naming the sun and the moon (which were worshipped by others) and I do believe somewhere in there is something about idols just being things.
Old 06-08-2012, 07:15 PM   #496
Haejin

What do you guys think about the Egyptians effecting Judaism/Christianity? I mean since the beginning it's been about sun worship, kinda still is. I tried to search for more information on the similarities, but came across a bunch of clown shoes sites from 1997 with pixelated pictures of king tut. Does anyone know of a credible source for info on this?
Haejin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 09:25 PM   #497
AshleyO

I'm starting to think that really depends, Haejin.

There is some oddly similar deities to the Christian idol of Jesus and his divinity story that predate the New Testament account of Jesus.

I'm not sure if it would be fair to find those similar deities and look back at the history of the Christian cult and perhaps find that at best, we may have a revolutionary people under Roman rule that created a Jesus story later based on deities of the Greek and Roman pantheon.

I really am not sure right now because I haven't gotten that far in Karen Armstrong's book.

But I don't think it's entirely unfair to look at older myths, find the similarities and then compare them to the story of Jesus. I think what you might find interesting is that.

http://jdstone.org/cr/files/mithraschristianity.html

Saya can confirm this I'm sure. She'd know better than me. I've just heard that these stories were incredibly similar.

Old 06-08-2012, 10:07 PM   #498
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haejin View Post
What do you guys think about the Egyptians effecting Judaism/Christianity? I mean since the beginning it's been about sun worship, kinda still is. I tried to search for more information on the similarities, but came across a bunch of clown shoes sites from 1997 with pixelated pictures of king tut. Does anyone know of a credible source for info on this?
Are you talking about the Zeitgeist shit? Its not accurate, at all.

The problem with Jesus as Horus theory is that essentially, it was made up by this guy with no credentials and no sources, but a lot of people have been using his book as a source, which then creates a lot of books for other people to source.

OMG KONTAN THAT ARTICLE IS EXACTLY WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT KILL IT WITH FIRE.

WHY DO PEOPLE KEEP BLOGGING THIS SHIT.

Now, what did happen starting with Paul was that Christianity was made to appeal to Romans to try and get them to convert, hence why we celebrate Christmas on Dec 25 even though he was born in the spring and why Christianity became heavily influenced by Neoplatonism. It was made particularly appealing to Romans who practiced mystery religions. Mystery religions were basically secret religious cults of gods that had secrets rites and were just, well, secretive and we don't know a whole lot about it. Mithras was kind of popular at the time as an example. If you joined a mystery religion you'd gain not salvation per se, but perhaps power and wealth or knowledge and wisdom. So Christianity was appealing in that anyone could join and there was no secrecy, but the holidays and rites were brought to Christianity by the converts.
Old 06-08-2012, 10:20 PM   #499
Haejin

lolz at mystery religion.

I'm really tired right now and can't really process anything, but this is all really interesting...so I'm going to the library tomorrow.
Haejin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 10:27 PM   #500
Saya

Ooooh see if they have The Passion Of The Western Mind by Richard Tarnas. Kinda dry and you'll end up skipping a few pages when he repeats himself over and over but lots of factz.