Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 09-09-2009, 07:16 PM   #226
Pantherlette086

My hair is slowly growing the black dye out. I have long natural curly brown hair. I usually wear it down. I can't do much with it. People always suggest straightening it. I don't want to, I like my hair.
Old 09-09-2009, 07:34 PM   #227
Geoluhread

I wanna dye my hair blue\black.. It`s just that I`m not sure right now because I`m growing my hair out, I want to change the haircut. So it`s gonna have a nice color, but not so nice haircut.
"I've an idea. Why don't we play a little game. Let's pretend that we're human beings, and that we're actually alive. Just for a while. What do you say? Let's pretend we're human. Oh, brother, it's such a long time since I was with anyone who got enthusiastic about anything."
Jack Osborne

add me on
Geoluhread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 06:39 AM   #228
SiouxsiePernova

Quote:
Originally Posted by korinna5555 View Post
Ahhh.. might you be a member of the Long Hair Community? They're the only folks I've ever heard use BSL/bra-strap length.
That forum is very useful. I'm curious as to what my Terminal length is.

SiouxsiePernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 07:19 AM   #229
Sephiroth Kali

my hair is in a semi fro. Not because I like it that way, but I need for it to grow out, then I can straighten it. Hopefully permanently.
Sephiroth Kali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 11:01 AM   #230
korinna5555

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiouxsiePernova View Post
That forum is very useful. I'm curious as to what my Terminal length is.
This is probably what my terminal length is.. crown to tip, 43", top of my thighs; taken last summer right before I cut 15" off. It's all kinky 'cause it was in a braid.
http://i324.photobucket.com/albums/k...terminal-1.jpg
It was still growing a bit, but not much.

Forgive the random purple blobs, my computer was being weird with the editing.
korinna5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 11:51 AM   #231
Red Menace

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindicatedxjin View Post
Well I've had it dyed professionally and it faded, and then I dyed it myself using Feria...but I've given up. I would like it if it was longer lasting though..although I'm kinda liking the brown right now.
All dyes will fade eventually, even permanent ones, and dye takes better on more porous hair so if your hair is in healthy condition it will fade faster.

It might just be that this is not the formulation for you. I've heard good things about l'Oreal Preference.

I personally like tone-on-tone colourants when I dye my hair, I prefer the result you get with them although of course your colour options are somewhat less dramatic.
Red Menace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 12:02 PM   #232
honeythorn

I've tried almost all off the shelf dyes and not one of them stays in for more than a couple of weeks before fading. All of them were supposedly permanent. I can absolutely garauntee they are not, every black and blue-black I have ever used has faded to a cacky mud brown within the month.

The dye isn't growing out because my hair grows extremely slowly indeed. It has never even grown to reach my elbows in my whole life, that's how stunted and shit it is.

So basically these companies are advertising falsely. These main brand dyes , Feria and that 100% colour crap in particular DO NOT LAST and are definitely not permanent. I've used Boots and superdrug;s own brands, they fade, I have had my hair coloured professionally, that faded equally as quickly.

I may go back to using Directions pot dyes. It's safe enough to use every couple of weeks and the red I once used is intense, and could be safely refreshed quite often.

I have recently taken to pushing most of my hair over to one side. I was thinking of trying to twist up or have braided to my skull, the lesser/thinner side, leaving the main mass of hair hanging loose over the other side, which I crimp and back comb ( first couple of inches of roots only for the backcombing ) I may also leave a small braid down on the twisted.braided side to tie my hair danglies and beads into as I am rather fond of doing. I can add bones to that when they are ready ( squirrell and blackbird )
honeythorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 12:25 PM   #233
Fyrliin

Long and Natural, I am not planning to hide my proudness of being a pure redhead
Fyrliin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 03:19 PM   #234
korinna5555

For those of you who don't like how fast chemical black dyes fade, I'd suggest popping over to HennaForHair and reading about using henna and indigo.
I will be doing this myself after Halloween. I can't/won't use chemical dyes with PPD, because I most likely have an allergy. I'm not willing to risk it, so no PPD for me.
Old 09-10-2009, 03:28 PM   #235
Sinjob

Currently long, dark-brown thick and wavy. I'm pretty satisifed at the moment despite the constant flip-age that dominates the back of my head.
Sinjob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 02:57 AM   #236
creature6

the colour of the rainbow.
tidy...
military cut.
creature6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 03:49 PM   #237
korinna5555

I cut off my sidelocks today. My hair is very fine and wavy, so I could never get my sidelocks to stay put. Curly sidelocks.. NO.
The purple in my hawk is slooooowly washing out. I'll be doing pink/red/purple for my Halloween costume, but after that, I'm gonna do either henna or henna+indigo. Can't decide.
Getting the sides taken down (probably #1 guard) next week, and possibly shaving the sides bald, just for shits and grins.
Old 09-14-2009, 04:15 PM   #238
KontanKarite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Menace View Post
All dyes will fade eventually, even permanent ones, and dye takes better on more porous hair so if your hair is in healthy condition it will fade faster.
This isn't entirely true. It's a bit backwards is all. Porous hair will take to color faster and it will fade faster. Porous hair is the result of the hair cuticle being open from damage caused by nature and chemicals. For hair to take color, the cuticle has to be opened and then the color is deposited into the cortex of the strand.

Some people will bleach their hair or chemically treat it so much that the cuticle never fully closes back causing it to take color but fade much faster since the cuticle can't seal the particles of the color into the strand anymore.

If it isn't this, it's a result of not using the right strength of developer on extremely healthy, non-porous hair where the cuticle isn't damaged and the color can not penetrate the cuticle, effectively staining the hair and not doing much else. Temporary colors will only stain the hair as demi/semi permanent haircolor will only partially penetrate the strand, hence it not lasting nearly as long as permanent haircolor.

If you're going black or a darker shade of hair, then a higher strength of developer isn't really necessary. At most, black dye would need no more than 20 volume developer.

If you're dealing with healthy virgin hair and are going a dark shade, a permanent haircolor at 10 to 20 volume developer SHOULD be all you need.

Lastly, we don't really know what she's doing to her hair, how much she shampoos, the temperature of the water she uses, how much heat she applies to her hair, ect...
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 05:52 PM   #239
CrimsonPythonidae

I did have extremely long, wavy hair and it's also really thick and I was too scared to cut it short so I just straightened it all the time.

Almost a year ago I cut it all off to a short crop style and I only wish I'd done it years ago. I would have saved so much time, water and money over the years.
CrimsonPythonidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 08:52 AM   #240
korinna5555

Hawk is now Manic Panic Raven. Black except in sunlight, and then it's black-plum. Kinda reminds me of a crow, that purplish sheen they have.

It will be purple and red for a Halloween party, then it will be true black. I've wanted black hair since I was two.
Old 09-21-2009, 09:30 AM   #241
Red Menace

Thank you KontanKarite for that info. I've learned something!

I'm thinking of colouring my hair again for winter. I'm such a wuss these days though!
Red Menace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 09:23 AM   #242
zer0sleep

I got my hair cut yesterday. It's layered down the front, sort of fringey, and still shaved out in the back. I'm thinking about putting a few cotton-candy pink streaks underneath. Pink goes pretty well with platinum, right?

Or like the (length of the) back part of the bra?

^ that.
zer0sleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 09:28 AM   #243
Still Jack

I'm gonna go for the Nick Cave Birthday Party era hairstyle...
Still Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 01:36 PM   #244
Serren

Every time I have dyed my hair it eventually comes out of the hair. Even with the black dye I put in about a year ago it did seem to eventually turn back to its natural colour.

I found the live dyes to be quite good, I am going to try getting my hair coloured at the salon next time and see if it comes up any better.
Serren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 10:54 AM   #245
Asocalisten

My hair is black, wavy and down to my waist. I'm letting it grow to terminal length.
Asocalisten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 11:11 AM   #246
Geoluhread

The only dye that I know that doesn`t come off is Hina. Too bad there ain`t purple or blue hina >.>
There`s an olive green one though xD my sister had green hair for 4 years.. Then she cut her hair.
"I've an idea. Why don't we play a little game. Let's pretend that we're human beings, and that we're actually alive. Just for a while. What do you say? Let's pretend we're human. Oh, brother, it's such a long time since I was with anyone who got enthusiastic about anything."
Jack Osborne

add me on
Old 09-27-2009, 11:22 AM   #247
Geoluhread

Quote:
Originally Posted by korinna5555 View Post
OMG all that hair makes me feel really sorry for you. Good thing you cut it off....
The horror of taking care of it >.>
Jack Osborne

add me on
Old 09-30-2009, 05:12 PM   #248
Asocalisten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoluhread View Post
OMG all that hair makes me feel really sorry for you. Good thing you cut it off....
The horror of taking care of it >.>
It's actually not that hard taking care of long hair.
Asocalisten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 07:18 PM   #249
Pineapple_Juice

Except perhaps getting it caught in a car door!

Speaking of terminal length, I'm thinking bra length is where my hair just stops forever. I'm sort of bummed. I'd love long long hair.
Old 10-01-2009, 05:50 AM   #250
SiouxsiePernova

Or having somebody accidentally sit on it...

Korinna, did you find it difficult to have most of your hair cut off?

SiouxsiePernova is offline   Reply With Quote