Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Introductions

Introductions This is a forum for members (new and old) to introduce themselves and get to know each other. Start a new thread and introduce yourself. Tell us a little about what you like and what you are into and such.

Old 11-20-2015, 01:09 AM   #1
DarkSaber

Hi

I'm new to goth and I live in a small town, can someone help teach me about goth culture. I've been reading a lot about it but now I want to hear what people who actually are both have to say about it.
DarkSaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 01:55 AM   #2
Stormbringer

Welcome DarkSaber, it would be nice to hear a little more about you - gender, background, likes, interests etc. Reading about all things goth is a great start but interacting with other goths, even if it's only on-line can be a valuable experience. You neen to open up and talk, as we all do, and you'll find the excange of ideas most rewarding.

Please feel free to ask me anything you like - I'm an eldergoth you might say, I'm a parent and have been in the same job, happily, for the last twenty years, so I do have some life experience. But you'll meet people from all age groups and all walks of life here.
Stormbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 09:57 AM   #3
Anise

Hi Darksaber

I live in a tiny little village in the north of Ireland, I getcha
Like Stormbringer said I'd also love to hear about You ..
It's great to have new folks here and interesting & enjoyable getting bonded and story swapping .. anything in particular that interests you to know, I'm sure the gang here can help, they're a great bunch. So just fire away.

Welcome to you <3
Anise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 12:07 PM   #4
DarkSaber

About me:

Ware to begin... I'm male and 21years old. I first gained my interest in goth culture when I began listening to techno, once I came across industrial music I fell in love with it, I'm now trying to learn industrial dance. I also enjoy a much wider range of music from j-pop/j-pop to Beethoven, heavy metal like We Came as Romans to videogame soundtracks like LoZ and Portals. I'm a bit otaku and am proud of it, anime and manga was my life back in school and will always have a place in my heart. I love horror movies including the more cheesy b-class ones like the ones they show on spangoolie. I also enjoy the works of Edgar Allan Poe and H.P Lovecraft, but my favorite author is JRR Tolkien. I am a Christian but I'm not one to allow my religious beliefs get in the way of becoming a part of a new community or something I'm interested in.
Old 11-20-2015, 02:01 PM   #5
Stormbringer

Never, in my wildest dreams did I expect so many people to have read HP Lovecraft - he was relatively unknown even in his own day and he was himself a huge fan of Edgar Allen Poe who in his own day was an obscure and unsuccessful author. Both of them led rather sad, lonely and short lives - no wonder we goths feel such an affinity with them.

While I'm not a religious person, I find spirituality in nature and in music - everything from techno to opera. The two pieces that always make me cry are Beethoven's 9th symphony and Handel's Messiah. I think that techno has the potential to be deeply spiritual too. I remember playing PPK's 'Resurrection' to my mother once - a woman who had little interest in 'pop' music. She loved it and found it moving.

I love anime and manga too, especially the work of Tsutomu Nihei - have you seen Knights of Sidonia or read the manga? - anime/manga mecha at its best!
Old 11-20-2015, 03:41 PM   #6
DarkSaber

Any suggestions for industrial groups? Something that would help me learn what industrial music is. Poe and Lovecraft were ahead of their time, as many famous authors are or wereonly a verry few are lucky enough to see their work go viral
Old 11-20-2015, 08:59 PM   #7
Pr1aP1sm

Sup DarkSaber?

I've often thought about trying to get into writing videogame soundtracks.
If done right it can certainly enrich the gameplay experience.
it's been a while, but I used to really like the soundtracks for the Castlevania games. (All of them)

Some of the Industrial Bands I get into are Skinny Puppy, Ministry, Swamp Terrorists, Front Line Assembly, Haujobb, Covenant, and VNV Nation.
But there are so many, and they are all unique.

Hope that helps.
Pr1aP1sm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 09:34 PM   #8
DarkSaber

Thanks for the suggestions Pr1P1sm I look them up. My only other question is ware do I buy goth clothing and accessories? I've found a couple websites but there only woman's clothing or a bit pricey, I guess the prices should be expected though lol. Also is there any jargon that I should know? XD
Old 11-20-2015, 11:10 PM   #9
Pr1aP1sm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSaber View Post
Thanks for the suggestions Pr1P1sm I look them up. My only other question is ware do I buy goth clothing and accessories? I've found a couple websites but there only woman's clothing or a bit pricey, I guess the prices should be expected though lol. Also is there any jargon that I should know? XD
I'm afraid I can't help much there. To be honest, these days my daily garb is pretty boring. Consisting usually of Black Shirt, Black Pants, and Black Boots. I try to look nice but only get dressed up if I'm playing a show, or going to a club. And I haven't been doing a lot of either lately. I don't think fashion is my strong suit.
As for the Jargon, I'm sure there probably is, but I never got the memo.
So when you find out... let me know.
Pr1aP1sm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 11:37 PM   #10
DarkSaber

Will do .
Old 11-21-2015, 03:05 AM   #11
Stormbringer

DarkSaber, if you want to shop on-line look up 'men's goth clothing' on Ebay and you'll get lots of results. Etsy is just as good with lots of great handmade and vintage things. I've bought lots of great stuff both locally made (Australian) and from the US and Europe. Search for 'goth jewelry' Also don't forget that great goth fallback - the good old thrift store.

I've been collecting stuff for years. I particularly love chunky silver rings from the 1960s - 1970s (the time of my penniless youth) things I could have never afforded back in the 80s when I was your age. So be patient, it's taken me years to collect the ones I wear today.
Old 11-21-2015, 05:25 AM   #12
Anise

Thrifting rocks! Recycling is of paramount importance in this day and age.
Vintage is more preferable to me than contemporary stores ..
I do shop on line @ some, but it's always 'Goth on a budget'

Restyle is a decent store, and as for the Bay I do search Gothic/Punk/Victorian etc .. Hahaa and then search on via input such as 'full length black skirt' or 'black military coat', cos I often find that when Goth is applied to a garment the price tag hoofs up! Often you can source our style in the most uncanny places. It so doesn't HAVE to be a labeled alternative store.

Hmm industrial you say, I'm not big into it.. Rammstein are they classified O.o
Oh and Orgy .. they're kinda?
I've attempted to offer lol, but think others will provide better offerings!
Old 11-21-2015, 05:32 AM   #13
Anise

P.S. E.G. etc lol ..

I'm partial to visual kei .. type that into Ebay and garment pricing can be :o
Buuut .. snag some black slacks in a combat type style, add some accoutrements such as silver D rings, studded belts etc etc .. you have a version that no one else has .. cos who wants to look like everyone else? o.O

Not this child
Old 11-21-2015, 07:26 AM   #14
DarkSaber

Thanks for everything guys/galls!!! Never seen a community so quick to help people!