Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > TV, Movies, & Games

TV, Movies, & Games Talk about your favorite TV shows, movies, games, and other media here. Or don't. We don't want to tell you what to do or anything.

Old 07-13-2011, 09:52 AM   #1
Renatus

Location: Back in Wisconsin(thinking about invading the south)
The Dark Knight Rises

Only 1 year to go before the next film in the amazing series comes out. So because of this I am excited to go see..... Harry Potter. I say that because of the fact that they will be showing the Dark Knight Rises trailer during the Harry Potter movie, which is already worth it, so yeah win win.

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Renatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 05:19 PM   #2
Mr.Doobie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renatus View Post
Only 1 year to go before the next film in the amazing series comes out. So because of this I am excited to go see..... Harry Potter. I say that because of the fact that they will be showing the Dark Knight Rises trailer during the Harry Potter movie, which is already worth it, so yeah win win.
So long as both are better than the last Harry Potter movie, Harry Potter and the Worst Camping Trip Ever.
Mr.Doobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 06:50 PM   #3
Grausamkeit

I've hated the Batman movies that came out after Batman Returns.

...I've been accused of folly by a fool. ~Antigone

Grausamkeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 07:00 PM   #4
Saya

Dark Knight was good. Didn't like Batman Begins though.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 07:11 AM   #5
Versus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grausamkeit View Post
I've hated the Batman movies that came out after Batman Returns.
You have clearly never seen Batman Begins and The Dark Knight. If I could quantify their greatness, it's something between 400 kittens and 50 sets of tits.
Had me creepin' 'round corners, homie sleepin' in my vest.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Versus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 10:03 AM   #6
Grausamkeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versus View Post
You have clearly never seen Batman Begins and The Dark Knight. If I could quantify their greatness, it's something between 400 kittens and 50 sets of tits.
I have seen both and was bored enough to go read a book rather than finish them. Their meh-tacularness did not impress me. I was severely disappointed in the fact that a lot of people thought Ledger as Joker was the best portrayal of Napier or that it was Legder's best role. Obviously those people never actually watched him in any of his other movies. It's sad that such a poor role in a lackluster, overhyped film is now his legacy.

Old 07-14-2011, 10:39 AM   #7
AshleyO

I'd really like to know what roles Ledger did that she thinks is better than the Joker.

10 Things I Hate About You? lulz

Broke Back Mountain? lulz

A Knight's Tale? ROFLCOPTER

Casanova? ppfmmppfmmmfffmmm....

Guys, let's remember Ledger for his AMAZING work for being type casted as the dime store romance hunk of 10 Things I Hate About You. I haven't seen Lords of Dogtown, but I'm pretty sure that Skip is not nearly as complex of a character as Ledger's Joker.

Honestly... Batman and Batman Returns? Really? It's not surprising you'd think Tim Burton is amazing. It's pretty typical for a goth.
AshleyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 10:41 AM   #8
Grausamkeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshleyO View Post
I'd really like to know what roles Ledger did that she thinks is better than the Joker.

10 Things I Hate About You? lulz

Broke Back Mountain? lulz

A Knight's Tale? ROFLCOPTER

Casanova? ppfmmppfmmmfffmmm....

Guys, let's remember Ledger for his AMAZING work for being type casted as the dime store romance hunk of 10 Things I Hate About You.

Honestly... Batman and Batman Returns? Really? It's not surprising you'd think Tim Burton is amazing. It's pretty typical for a goth.
Oh no! I disagreed with the status quo!

Old 07-14-2011, 10:49 AM   #9
AshleyO

Is that your face in the avatar? I was always curious about that.
Old 07-14-2011, 10:59 AM   #10
Renatus

Location: Back in Wisconsin(thinking about invading the south)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshleyO View Post
Is that your face in the avatar? I was always curious about that.
Nope thats someone else, if you want to see her look at her public profile.

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Renatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 11:04 AM   #11
AshleyO

...Oh. Everything makes so much sense now.
Old 07-14-2011, 11:58 AM   #12
Grausamkeit

I don't see what my looks have to do with what I think of Heath Ledger's movies or his acting skills. I never said Tim Burton is amazing. Quit making assumptions.

Old 07-14-2011, 12:50 PM   #13
AshleyO

You look like a goth. You actually think an inferior set of movies, Batman and Returns is actually somehow better than what Nolan has done.

Chick, I'm not making assumptions. I'm saying that what you find worthwhile and based on your personal image, has a very strong correlation of being kind of typical.

When people look at you, they see a goth. When you talk about Batman being better, it's pretty typical of a goth... being that Tim Burton is a very typical idol amongst goths.

Do you honestly think we can't make well educated guesses about you based on your strict adherence to the typical Victorian goth aesthetic you're sporting?
Old 07-14-2011, 01:09 PM   #14
Judas

I'm just tired of the franchise overall. We've had a new Batman movie every several years for the past two decades. Not to mention several animated series, a couple more animated series that don't focus on Batman but he's still there (like Justice League), numerous animated direct-to-DVD movies, the on-going comic books, etc.

So, what it all boils down to is... I have no interest at all in seeing this new movie.
Judas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 01:20 PM   #15
Grausamkeit

Actually, most people have been far off-base with the assumptions they've made since I've joined the board. No, I don't think that people can make well-educated gueses about me based on an avatar and a profile picture. Tim Burton is not an idol for me. I just happen to like some movies of his that I actually grew up watching. Childhood nostalgia has far more to do with me liking Batman and Batman Returns than any goth associations. For me, they are much better than the ones Nolan directed. I haven't yet seen an advertisement for a movie of his that looks interesting.

Judas, I agree. That probably also has a fair bit to do with it, as well. People just can't let this franchise die.

Old 07-14-2011, 02:40 PM   #16
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judas View Post
I'm just tired of the franchise overall. We've had a new Batman movie every several years for the past two decades. Not to mention several animated series, a couple more animated series that don't focus on Batman but he's still there (like Justice League), numerous animated direct-to-DVD movies, the on-going comic books, etc.

So, what it all boils down to is... I have no interest at all in seeing this new movie.
What else does DC have going for it? They could give Wonder Woman a go but I don't trust them to do it well.

I'm not terribly excited, but I'll go see it. What I liked about Dark Knight was the two villains, and I think Two Face was just as great as the Joker. Hate Bale as Batman though, so if Catwoman and Bane aren't amazing its going to be a big disappointment.
Old 07-14-2011, 04:05 PM   #17
Mr.Doobie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judas View Post

I'll watch it. I can only hope the Captain America movie will do justice to its own source material half as well as Nolan has done with Batman.

I have low expectations though.

Quote:
What else does DC have going for it?
Superman's more than capable of being done well, surprisingly. It doesn't happen often, but sometimes he'll get a writer that just knows how to make a space alien with the power of a god, to whom everything in life has come easily, interesting.

I also feel like Anarky was a DC villain that was never explored to his full potential by anyone, sadly.

But yeah, DC is basically the Michael Bay of comic books, it's flashy and colorful, but its emphasis on epicness often causes more interesting bits of storytelling, like characterization, to take a back seat.
Quote:
Bane
Hopefully Nolan gives Bane the respect he deserves, because that character got ***** so badly in Batnipples Adventures it's just unfair. In the comics Bane was a genius that almost broke Batman, while that movie-shaped piece of feces that Joel Schumacher crapped out made Bane into just another meathead thug.
Quote:
I have seen both and was bored enough to go read a book rather than finish them. Their meh-tacularness did not impress me. I was severely disappointed in the fact that a lot of people thought Ledger as Joker was the best portrayal of Napier or that it was Legder's best role. Obviously those people never actually watched him in any of his other movies. It's sad that such a poor role in a lackluster, overhyped film is now his legacy.
#1 - the Joker's real name is only Jack Napier in the Tim Burton movie. In the comics his real name is never truly revealed.

#2 - I'm sorry, but Heath Ledgers Joker kicks Nicholson's all over the room. Ledgers Joker was more mysterious, more dangerous, more unpredictable, more striking, and more dramatic. This made him not just scarier as a villain then Nicholson's, but also more intriguing, because there were far more questions surrounding him then answers. Not only that, but Ledger's Joker mines the Batman world deeper then Nicholson's, it displayed the incredibly dark and twisted Joker that only those who read the comics were familiar with before the Nolan movie.

Now, a lot of that is more or less based on the screenwriter more than the actor, but... whatever.

See, I actually do think Burton's Batman is a better movie, but only marginally, and not because of the Joker, I have my own reasons (Burton had better pacing, a better title character, and better scripting).
Old 07-14-2011, 04:11 PM   #18
Despanan

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger
I have chugged more than ten epic boners.
Despanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 04:22 PM   #19
Mr.Doobie

Why does the title of this new Batman movie make me think dirty thoughts?
Old 07-14-2011, 05:13 PM   #20
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Doobie View Post
Superman's more than capable of being done well, surprisingly. It doesn't happen often, but sometimes he'll get a writer that just knows how to make a space alien with the power of a god, to whom everything in life has come easily, interesting.

I also feel like Anarky was a DC villain that was never explored to his full potential by anyone, sadly.

But yeah, DC is basically the Michael Bay of comic books, it's flashy and colorful, but its emphasis on epicness often causes more interesting bits of storytelling, like characterization, to take a back seat.
I hear they're getting Nolan to do the next Superman. WISE CHOICE.

I like DC Comics, they just do shit movies. Mind you Marvel has a ton of shit movies too but Iron Man and the last Hulk was decent.

And I thought about it after, and besides Batman, they still got Alan Moore comics!

Quote:
#1 - the Joker's real name is only Jack Napier in the Tim Burton movie. In the comics his real name is never truly revealed.

#2 - I'm sorry, but Heath Ledgers Joker kicks Nicholson's all over the room. Ledgers Joker was more mysterious, more dangerous, more unpredictable, more striking, and more dramatic. This made him not just scarier as a villain then Nicholson's, but also more intriguing, because there were far more questions surrounding him then answers. Not only that, but Ledger's Joker mines the Batman world deeper then Nicholson's, it displayed the incredibly dark and twisted Joker that only those who read the comics were familiar with before the Nolan movie.

Now, a lot of that is more or less based on the screenwriter more than the actor, but... whatever.
Tim Burton had a lot on his plate. He made Batman into a serious superhero. Yes, the comics by this time, particularly with The Killing Joke which Burton drew on, and the Dark Knight Returns made Batman far more grown up, but Batman was still Adam West to most people's mind. Bronze age comics Batman was quite that bad, but he was still pretty campy. In this context, I have to admire Jack Nicholson's Joker. He scared the shit out of me as a kid, but he makes me laugh and is still pretty comic book-ish even though he's throwing acid on women's faces and killing people in horrific ways. It was a transitional period and he illustrated that well.

Then it was given to Schumacher because comics are for children so it should be more Adam West-ish, right?

Also, he uses Jack as an alias in the animated series. Yes it was afterwards but still!

And while we're talking about loyalty to comic canon, a pox on Nolan for killing off Two Face. Apparently dude wanted to come back but Nolan was like "no, you really were dead."
Old 07-14-2011, 11:01 PM   #21
Hydrodyssodia

Quote:
Ledger as Joker was the best portrayal of Napier
Totally nerdy thing to complain about, but the whole Jack Napier thing was completly made up for the 89 film. His name is not that in the comics, nor in TDK. He is just Joker.
E: Wow someone corrected you before, sorry for going on about it.
Hydrodyssodia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 09:54 AM   #22
Grausamkeit

It's okay, Hydro. I didn't have a clue about the Napier thing because I never read the Batman comics. I've only watched the old Batman(Adam West) TV show, the movies and the animated series. For me, Nicholson portrayed the version of Joker that I grew up with. Maybe that forms part of my bias against Ledger's portrayal.

And for all of the cool lines Nicholson had when he played Joker, Ledger had "Why so serious?"

Just because someone's opinion differs from yours doesn't mean they are trolling or stupid, sugar tits.

Old 07-16-2011, 08:59 AM   #23
Despanan

Quote:
Just because someone's opinion differs from yours doesn't mean they are trolling or stupid, sugar tits.
When those opinions are wildly uneducated and rife with obvious embarrassing errors it's usually one or the other. (Like you using the name "Napier" to imply you know more about the character of the Joker than the rest of us, only to realize that "Jack Napier" wasn't anywhere near cannon - If I'd wanted to troll, I'd've probably said something to that effect.).

Seriously, what Heath Ledger role were you thinking of for his "Great" role? The brother's Grimm? Lords of Dogtown? Skip was a minor character at best. A Knight's Tale? You haven't given us an answer-- Where was this "mindblowing" performance that people are ignorant of? The Order? Roar? I need to know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger
I have chugged more than ten epic boners.
Despanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 09:28 AM   #24
JCC

If you haven't read the comics then you don't really have much of a basis for judging Ledger's performance. Which was fucking awesome. Or Nolan's adaptations. Which are fucking awesome.
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 09:55 AM   #25
Grausamkeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Despanan View Post
When those opinions are wildly uneducated and rife with obvious embarrassing errors it's usually one or the other. (Like you using the name "Napier" to imply you know more about the character of the Joker than the rest of us, only to realize that "Jack Napier" wasn't anywhere near cannon - If I'd wanted to troll, I'd've probably said something to that effect.).

Seriously, what Heath Ledger role were you thinking of for his "Great" role? The brother's Grimm? Lords of Dogtown? Skip was a minor character at best. A Knight's Tale? You haven't given us an answer-- Where was this "mindblowing" performance that people are ignorant of? The Order? Roar? I need to know.
I actually liked him better in Brokeback Mountain. He made a much more believable gay man than he did a psychopath. As Joker he only reminded me of those poor schizophrenic homeless people in downtown Houston. Homeless crazy dudes aren't scary, most of the time. They just need meds and therapy. I think that there is a lot of emotional attachment because of his death for some people and that probably colors most people's opinion of his role in TDK. It would be a terrible tragedy for an actor to die with a boring role as their last, it must therefore be hyped up and no one is allowed to question its greatness!

I'm not going along with the cult of personality. Boohoo.