Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 04-25-2009, 09:10 AM   #51
maggot

That's because it's not a genre of music. Abney Park is the only "steampunk" band, and they vehemently denied it before it got really trendy. They said "I guess you could call us that if you wanted," but now they're acting like they invented steampunk.

Kind of suck that it's lost it's roots in literature.
Old 04-28-2009, 05:31 AM   #52
Mealla

I am mildly annoyed at Victorian fashion due to the fact that Steampunk is the new fad, but I do still like some of the fashions for special occasions. Really, you should just be dressing how you want to dress instead of being so worried about what's goth or not, but if you're going for a darker look, you can always watch some horror and dark fantasy movies, look at pictures of different bands you like, or check out some books on historical fashions for inspiration.
Mealla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 06:42 AM   #53
HavelockV

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothicusmaximus View Post
...pentacles suggest stupidity...
Well at least we can agree on one thing.

It seems though that we are both so entrenched in our respective views on the subject that further debate seems rather pointless.
HavelockV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 07:14 AM   #54
Malice In Wonderland

In my opinion, Victorian era clothing makes you look like a bit of a tosser.

Maybe a slight influence.
But the whole, "Looka' me I'mma vampire/top hat wearing, cane swinging, waistcoat donning twat" makes you look like, well, exactly that.
Generally these things can look kinda cool on there own.
But together you look like you blew way to much money on one outfit.

Also I still stand by Steampunk doesn't exist.

"One mohawk wasn't enough to keep up with how badass he is so he had to get two." - Haunted House, about me, YEAH, ME!

Terror Nuclear,Terror Nuclear
Malice In Wonderland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 04:26 PM   #55
Colonel

I have come to the conclusion that you all take yourselves far too seriously. Honestly. To an outsider, it's a bit shocking that a community that seems to promote individuality and creativity is so quick to criticize those interested in a certain fashion.

Stupid is another word that popped into my head. The hostility in this thread is nothing short of ridiculous. Regarding the fashion choices of another - WHO CARES?

Do the fashion choices of another really affect your daily life? Are you people crying yourselves to sleep at night, or truly annoyed because someone chooses to dress in some degree (even completely) of Victorian attire? I seriously hope you are not. Simply because someone chooses to wear a waistcoat, or tailcoat, or whatever combination of Victorian inspired attire does not make that individual an "asshole." Perhaps there have been instances where one has encountered poor behavior or obnoxious attitudes from those in Victorian-esque clothing, but that does not apply to all. I am sorry if there have been bad experiences, but there are assholes in every group. Assuming any Victorian fashion aficionado is a bigot is a fairly sweeping, juvenile stereotype. I would have assumed that this community would be somewhat open-minded to the preferences of others. Oh well.

So...Congratulations.
Colonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 09:41 PM   #56
Solumina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malice In Wonderland View Post
Also I still stand by Steampunk doesn't exist.
As a music genre? Or are you talking about as a literary genre too?
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 11:39 PM   #57
Lolly PopMuzik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel View Post
I have come to the conclusion that you all take yourselves far too seriously. Honestly. To an outsider, it's a bit shocking that a community that seems to promote individuality and creativity is so quick to criticize those interested in a certain fashion.

Stupid is another word that popped into my head. The hostility in this thread is nothing short of ridiculous. Regarding the fashion choices of another - WHO CARES?

Do the fashion choices of another really affect your daily life? Are you people crying yourselves to sleep at night, or truly annoyed because someone chooses to dress in some degree (even completely) of Victorian attire? I seriously hope you are not. Simply because someone chooses to wear a waistcoat, or tailcoat, or whatever combination of Victorian inspired attire does not make that individual an "asshole." Perhaps there have been instances where one has encountered poor behavior or obnoxious attitudes from those in Victorian-esque clothing, but that does not apply to all. I am sorry if there have been bad experiences, but there are assholes in every group. Assuming any Victorian fashion aficionado is a bigot is a fairly sweeping, juvenile stereotype. I would have assumed that this community would be somewhat open-minded to the preferences of others. Oh well.

So...Congratulations.
Who said I was calling anyone who dug Victoriana a bigot? Or even weeping at the thought of someone getting gussied up in it? I'm guessing you must be the fancy-pants aristocratic type.

For most of my part, I suggested other decades for him to try should he see that not only has the era he's drawing inspiration from really trying for us but the aristocratic end of it has been picked over so many times that it's just plain boring. Not to mention other aesthetic influences so it's not just upper crust-this and aristocratic-that.

It would also be a little easier to pass a twig of the olive branch to the era if so many of its devotees didn't constantly view the whole thing with their rose colored monocles and not only realize everything wasn't a picnic to the graveyard but have some fun with the more twisted elements of the age.

(Read: It's okay to drop the whole dignified gentleman and uber-regal widow act once in a while)

And I KNOW you are not telling me I take myself too seriously when you're calling yourself Colonel.

And Solumina, he's talking about the music genre. It definitely had literary roots but fell by the wayside in favor of fashion and inventing. But mostly fashion. :P
Old 04-29-2009, 07:10 AM   #58
Colonel

My comments were not directed at you, Lolly. Others in this thread have done a much finer job of being completely closed-minded and hypocritical regarding the fashion choices of another. From wanting to "stick razor wire up there asses and then hang them and soak them with gas then burn them", to saying that putting on some clothing is perpetuating the social norms and injustices of an era long past.

It's clothing.

Clothing that in itself bears no ill will or hostile meaning. This is not donning a Swastika. It's top hats and waistcoats. In a forum dedicated to various non-conformist fashion ideas, I find it a little appalling and hypocritical that those within the community would be so hostile to others because they choose Victoriana over some other Goth fashion.

If someone wants to choose something that another finds "boring," let them. I see a lot of ladies my age following every conventional fashion trend, and while I may think it's a waste of money or predictable, I refuse to occupy myself with what they do or do not wear. No one cares.

I'm not an aristocratic type; I just believe in complete sentences. I'm not goth, but have friends who are. I got a link to the thread from a friend of mine who's exploring goth fashion. My username has nothing to do with how I perceive myself. Next character judgment please.
Colonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 07:29 AM   #59
girasol

...black or pinstripe pants... any colour shirt and a black waistcoat.
with or without tie...
girasol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 02:02 PM   #60
PastMidnight

Go to express.com, and click on must-have-looks. They've got cool selections. If all else fails, go to Hollister. Can't go wrong with that.
PastMidnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 02:35 PM   #61
Malice In Wonderland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solumina View Post
As a music genre? Or are you talking about as a literary genre too?
As a subculture.
I should have been more specific.
The literary genre can be pretty fucking cool.

"One mohawk wasn't enough to keep up with how badass he is so he had to get two." - Haunted House, about me, YEAH, ME!

Terror Nuclear,Terror Nuclear
Malice In Wonderland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 07:32 PM   #62
HavelockV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolly PopMuzik View Post
I'm guessing you must be the fancy-pants aristocratic type...

And I KNOW you are not telling me I take myself too seriously when you're calling yourself Colonel.
Having a chosen perspective about any given school of thought or trend does not necessitate that one is a follower of such. It is also unwise to presume to know the content of someone's character simply based upon their internet username.

To the Colonel, welcome, and well said. I do hope that your friend is not overly put off by some individuals' views of goth fashion on this forum.
Old 05-11-2009, 07:45 PM   #63
HavelockV

Far be it from me to resurrect an old discussion needlessly, however, I felt that this photograph that a friend showed to me was pertinent to the topic at hand. In all honestly, I am not certain that Mr. Okami is still a participating member of these forums, but, on the off chance that he may still linger, I submit this image as a possible source of inspiration for his style.

Granted, it is a bit more Steampunk than Victoriana, but as others have noted, it may behoove Mr. Okami to observe strains of Victorian-inspired fashion beyond the usual waistcoats and frock coats worn by many distinguished figures in society at the time.

Old 05-11-2009, 10:05 PM   #64
Lolly PopMuzik

Quote:
Originally Posted by HavelockV View Post
Didn't I already give a shout out to him?

And I don't think old boy's coming back either.
Old 05-12-2009, 05:13 AM   #65
HavelockV

I believe you did, however, I wanted to give him a visualization of a historical precedent of a black man wearing the signature Victorian suit and contrast that with an example of how the style has evolved into street fashion for today. With both in mind, perhaps he can begin to make some more concrete choices about his own appearance.

Shame if he's abandoned the place, though.
Old 06-17-2009, 02:04 PM   #66
Angelic Dissonance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okami View Post
I'm not too sure aboutt this and I want to do it right. I felt like using black nail polish (if that's acceptable) but the clothing is ... meh. Currently I'm wearing a black, kinda loose, long sleeved shirt (with no design) and black jeans. Is this good medicore or just lame? Any help from the experienced is great!
Here's what you do: Go to GoodWill(or the Salvation Army, whichever's closest). Buy some cool pants and maybe a shirt or two--maybe a jacket. Keep an eye out for sales in Men's clothing stores, like BOGO on $30dress shirts. Basicly, if you see something cool and it's not too expensive, buy it. If you like it, buy it. If you want to wear nail polish, do it. No one really cares, anyway. Two things will ALWAYS be in fashion: a good pair of black leather boots and black eyeliner. Express YOURSELF though, dude. I call it Emotive Expressionalism: looking how you FEEL like looking. And, if you're black, so what. Who cares. Motercycle boots with several silver buckles are always nice... at least, if you like that kind of thing. It sounds like what you're wearing now is ok, just remember: ACCESSORIZE!!! Maybe a skull buckle? Maybe orange hair? It's all you.
Angelic Dissonance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 02:32 PM   #67
Lolly PopMuzik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelic Dissonance View Post
Late to the party with ad nauseum advice in red
He's not coming back, you know.
Old 06-17-2009, 02:57 PM   #68
Angelic Dissonance

Yeh, sorry about that.
Angelic Dissonance is offline   Reply With Quote