Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Politics

Politics "Under democracy, one party always devotes its chief energies to trying to prove that the other party is unfit to rule -and both commonly succeed, and are right." -H.L. Menken

Old 02-20-2006, 05:57 AM   #126
sheridan

np: Amber Asylum - Secret Ions

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExistentialDisorder
how many mexicans are crossing the border into your country? i'm sure you have a horrible problem with it, there in england.
None, seeing as we don't have a border (and I think you'll find the country is called the United Kingdom, not England).

Quote:
but whatever. how about you sit down drink your tea and eat your crumpets. cause you don't know shit about it. it doesn't concern you. you don't live here. you don't have to see it every day.
Strangely enough, we do get immigrants (both legal and illegal) also. And we get racist bigots making unwarranted and unproven allegations against them, but they'll always be people like you around I guess - and I bet even after that last comment you still don't think you're racist, racist. (I don't generally like to attach labels to people, but I'm making an exception for you).
sheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 06:13 AM   #127
Disfunction

What about Canadian illegals in the United States? They look and sound just like the rest of you.

...don't smother your kids."
Disfunction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 09:04 AM   #128
Empty_Purple_Stars

Me too..

Hold Me..

*sob*
Empty_Purple_Stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 09:56 AM   #129
WolfMoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disfunction
What about Canadian illegals in the United States? They look and sound just like the rest of you.
No way, eh?

You'll never take me alive, eh?
WolfMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 10:08 AM   #130
PEPE13

Never mind the Canadians, its you Yanks that left home who worry me. You lot are everywhere.
PEPE13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 10:18 AM   #131
WolfMoon

Come again?
Old 02-20-2006, 10:47 AM   #132
Disfunction

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfMoon
No way, eh?

You'll never take me alive, eh?
SEE!!!!

WOLFMOON HAD YOU ALL FOOLED, DIDN'T SHE?

I knew there were more Canadians on this board than met the eye.

Old 02-20-2006, 10:49 AM   #133
Disfunction

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEPE13
Never mind the Canadians, its you Yanks that left home who worry me. You lot are everywhere.
There's a dark and deserted hallway before your very eyes. You wander deeper and deeper inwards. You take a left. You keep walking. You take a left. You keep walking. You take another right. You stop. You move your mouse cursor over the little "X" at the top right hand corner of your browser. You click. You wake up from this fairy tale strangely energized, but you've forgotten the name of this website. Everybody wins.

Old 02-20-2006, 10:50 AM   #134
WolfMoon

Quote:
SEE!!!!

WOLFMOON HAD YOU ALL FOOLED, DIDN'T SHE?

I knew there were more Canadians on this board than met the eye.
Damnit, I've been discovered, eh?

No, no I'm a rabbit, eh, look at my big ears.

Old 02-20-2006, 10:50 AM   #135
Empty_Purple_Stars

Quote:
There's a dark and deserted hallway before your very eyes. You wander deeper and deeper inwards. You take a left. You keep walking. You take a left. You keep walking. You take another right. You stop. You move your mouse cursor over the little "X" at the top right hand corner of your browser. You click. You wake up from this fairy tale strangely energized, but you've forgotten the name of this website. Everybody wins.

This Virtual Bitch Slap has been brought to you by Disfunction.

Friggin Brilliant.
Old 02-20-2006, 10:56 AM   #136
WolfMoon

Our boi's growin' up.

*sniff*
Old 02-21-2006, 06:51 AM   #137
Blushing Heliophobe

Xng - I swoon at the mere sound of my name rolling of your sweet tongue (or the thought of it, anyways!)

As far as Canadians go - it's a good disguise! We commonly pretend to be Canadians in situations that just being from America can be very bad for you. I mean come on, who besides the creators of South Park hate Canadians? Not me!

Okay, I mentioned in another thread that I thought it strange to hear of Mexican citizens dying over in Iraq and being recruited into the US Army. I took it with a grain of salt but since I'm AF I couldn't say for sure right off the bat whether or not it was false. However, it takes MOUNDS of paper to sign up for the US military. You go through so many background checks, etc. Your SSN is almost like your Prisoner Number - it is on EVERYTHING. I have no idea in hell how this could be faked, at least not easily...

There's links below that talk about this issue.

http://www.informationclearinghouse....rticle3326.htm

http://www.commondreams.org/headlines03/0910-06.htm

http://warprofiteers.com/article.php?id=12145

I'm not quite sure on the reputability of the sources myself, but it's all I could find. Apparently, the deal is that those with US Residency may apply to join, and instead of waiting 5 years to apply for citizenship they can apply after they make it past Basic Training.

The media furor was apparently caused by a US Army recruiter who went into Tijuana to track down two Mexican US Residents who had expressed interest in joining.

Personally, I think that in order to consider the Mexican applicants as 'cannon fodder' then you have to look at ALL members of the American military as cannon fodder. Any non-US citizen that joins (from any country) can join without having to be infantry - there are restrictions on Intelligencs jobs and the like only for security reasons. Non-Us citizens serve with pretty much the same opportunities as myself. I work with a Puerto Rican who is a USAF member.

If you look at the American military members as 'cannon fodder', well, then they are getting no better or worse treatment than the rest of us US citizens. A few numbers rolling along the bottom of the CNN news ticker every day - does the citizenship of each life that is represented matter?

If some of my sources are dodgy or if someone has proof of the situation being otherwise - please share, because I am very interested in this issue's validity myself.

Last edited by Blushing Heliophobe; 02-21-2006 at 06:54 AM. Reason: adding a link!
Blushing Heliophobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 09:27 AM   #138
Empty_Purple_Stars

Blushing,

My sources were Mothers and Sisters I met in Tijuana who unfortunately were able to relate firsthand to me that this is happening. All of them had watched their sons be recruited by the Army and promised Citizenship after an initial 2 year tour. All of them returned home in a body bag and the families were given nothing. Not even the respect of a military burial. They also stated that the soldiers involved spent less than 30 days in training before they were shipped overseas. Two were sent to Irag, one to Afghanistan.

I suppose there is the possibility that they were lying, but it's really hard to fake that kind of Bottomless Grief and Rage..

I also have tried to find information online that outlines how this is possible, and really didn't come up with much.

I finally concluded that this must be one of those things that is simply 'happening' that the Legislature is turning a blind eye too, because Enlistment numbers are down so dramatically.

I'm sorry I can't offer a source, all I can offer is first person testimony of what they told me.

Please don't think I am belittling your contribution, or the contribution of any of the men and women doing their part in any and all branches of the US Military.

I just think it's heinous the way this particular situation is being handled.

At the very least these guys deserve the same training our boys get, and military benefits for their families if K.I.A.
Old 02-21-2006, 09:30 AM   #139
WolfMoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeishaGirl
Wolfmoon, can you sneak me a little Canadian Maple syrup?
I'm hiding it under my shirt.

You'll have to feel for it, eh?

Might be some in my pants too, eh?

I'm aboot to plotz.
Old 02-22-2006, 12:25 AM   #140
Blushing Heliophobe

Hhmm, it is interesting. I can't see how it is possible, but then again, there's plenty of things going on in the world that shouldn't be possible. I grieve for all the life lost to and in Iraq - all of it - and pray that soon no more mothers will have to grieve for their sons and daughters, regardless of nationality.
Old 02-22-2006, 12:31 AM   #141
Empty_Purple_Stars

Amen to that Pretty, Amen to that..

Hugs to you for doing your part where you are..

I appreciate your Hard Work and Contributions..
Old 02-22-2006, 12:41 AM   #142
Blushing Heliophobe

Aww, I usually try to avoid that because I'm not the one doing any hard work at all - it's the guys (and girls) over there in Iraq. I don't feel I deserve any special thank you from anyone because I sit here on Gnet all day

But from you, I can never turn down an excuse for HUGS...

*squeeze*
Old 02-22-2006, 08:06 AM   #143
WolfMoon

We support ALL of the troops. Not just a few.

Hugs from me too.

*HUGZ*

*rubs baby-bump*
Old 02-22-2006, 08:11 AM   #144
Blushing Heliophobe

Woo-hoo!

(pillsbury style)

Old 03-26-2006, 01:28 PM   #145
CptSternn

I found this article today and thought it would fit in well with this current discussion...

http://news.**********/s/ap/20060326/...ltBHNlYwM3MTY-

Size of L.A. March Surprises Authorities

LOS ANGELES - Thousands of immigration advocates marched through downtown Los Angeles in one of the largest demonstrations for any cause in recent U.S. history.

More than 500,000 protesters — demanding that Congress abandon attempts to make illegal immigration a felony and to build more walls along the border — surprised police who estimated the crowd size using aerial photographs and other techniques, police Cmdr. Louis Gray Jr. said.

Wearing white T-shirts to symbolize peace, the demonstrators chanted "Mexico!" "USA!" and "Si se puede," an old Mexican-American civil rights shout that means "Yes, we can."

In Denver, more than 50,000 people protested downtown Saturday, according to police who had expected only a few thousand. Phoenix was similarly surprised Friday when an estimated 20,000 people gathered for one of the biggest demonstrations in city history, and more than 10,000 marched in Milwaukee on Thursday.

"We construct your schools. We cook your food," rapper Jorge Ruiz said after performing at a Dallas rally that drew 1,500. "We are the motor of this nation, but people don't see us. Blacks and whites, they had their revolution. They had their Martin Luther King. Now it is time for us."

Many protesters said lawmakers were unfairly targeting immigrants who provide a major labor pool for America's economy.

"Enough is enough of the xenophobic movement," said Norman Martinez, 63, who immigrated from Honduras as a child and marched in Los Angeles. "They are picking on the weakest link in society, which has built this country."

If this wasn't on the radar of politicians before, I'm thinking it will be pushed up the charts now.
CptSternn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 02:30 PM   #146
edible_eye

- sigh -

i wonder how many of them had green cards...

will the government ever wake up?

what good are all the high tech gadgets airports are putting in place if all they have to do is waltz across the border and then protest to let more in? what good is the homeland defense department if hundreds of thousands of illegal aliens are able to take to the streets and flaunt the fact they're here, demanding more rights?

i wish bush, et al would pull their collective heads out of iraq and pay attention to what's happening here. while they're busy trying to "win the hearts and minds" of those savages, american towns are being flooded with bodies of illegal aliens who drain even more money and resources from the taxpaying citizens of this country.

and what is bush's response when he does turn an eye to the problem? - "Oh, yes. illegal aliens. grant them citizenship. now, what's going on in iraq?"

what's it going to take, i wonder? another attack? how could we not be at even greater risk with all this human detritus wafting in? fuckin' two-faced, two-sided, bull-shit-spewing politicians.
Old 03-27-2006, 07:43 AM   #147
WolfMoon

I don't agree with the statement that they 'built this country'. That sounds highly egotistical to me. The Mexicans(and other hispanic or latinos) have helped make this country alongside the whites and the blacks.

In the area I work there are a lot of restuarants that hire illegals. I don't have anything against these people trying to make a decent living for their family. But I do think they should become legal citizens and learn the language. About 30% of the customers I get I can't understand. It makes for bad customer service when you can't even understand what your customer wants. =/
Old 03-27-2006, 09:20 AM   #148
CptSternn

Que?

Heh, when I used to live in Miami I remember the first time I eevr went to McDonalds there and tried to get a Big Mac without onions.

'Yes, one big mac combo with no onions'

'Que?'

'Number 4, I would like a number 4 and could you leave off the onions'

'Si, 4'

'Yes, number 4, but please hold the onions'

'Que?'

It was like a feckin' Abbot and Costello 'Whos on first' routine. I found it was easier to eat onions in mickey d's in miami than it was to wait until the night manager who spoke english came in to help me with my order.

(And yes, since then I learned to speak spanish well enough to get quattro non-cebolla)

And as I suspected, every major news site has the same leading storey today...

Guest Worker Issue Tops Immigration Debate

http://news.**********/s/ap/20060327/...kxBHNlYwN0bQ--

Hasta La Vista!
CptSternn is offline   Reply With Quote