Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > TV, Movies, & Games

TV, Movies, & Games Talk about your favorite TV shows, movies, games, and other media here. Or don't. We don't want to tell you what to do or anything.

Old 03-23-2010, 04:52 PM   #1
Luv2H8

Movie Recommendations

Just post what to see and what not to see.

I'll start off. Any romance movies out there that are worth seeing. It doesn't have to be new, just good. Horror/suspense works, too.
Luv2H8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 05:52 PM   #2
vindicatedxjin

If you like Asian films and don't mind reading subtitles then I'm going to recommend you watch "A moment to remember", "the way home", "Sad movie", "Reincarnation", and "A tale of two sisters". Korean films rock.

Bring Kontan Back
vindicatedxjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 07:37 PM   #3
Luv2H8

Subtitles are fine. Is the acting good? Does it have any scenes that will make me have an emotional breakdown?

Now I just have to fill up the horror section of my shelf.
Old 03-24-2010, 06:45 AM   #4
vindicatedxjin

Reincarnation and tale of two sisters are horror. And they're pretty good if you're into Japanese horror, even though they're Korean. The other ones are romances and I've cried on all three... Actings pretty good. Not Oscar worthy of course but good. ^_^

Bring Kontan Back
Old 03-24-2010, 09:03 PM   #5
Luv2H8

Any good suspense movies?
Old 03-27-2010, 10:02 PM   #6
the-nihilist

"Lady In the Water" is worthy of being on Mystery Science Theater 3000, if that show was actually still running.
Old 03-28-2010, 05:14 AM   #7
Altemese

I'm going to see "Why did I Get Married Too" on April 2nd. and "The Last Air Bender", I believe that comes out in July. I'm most definitely going to see "Eclipse" on June 30. A good romance movie is "Dear John", I even cried.
Altemese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 06:16 PM   #8
JethroAranas

Kung Fu Hustle. Haha, I never thought it was that good. Most especially t'was dubbed spanish.

Try watching it.
Old 03-28-2010, 07:29 PM   #9
Mariner

Marnie is an amazing romance, this movie simply has no dull moments. Vertigo is also a wonderful romance.
Mariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 02:11 AM   #10
Apathy's_Child

Man, I hated Marnie - interesting concept, but I just felt like the delivery somehow missed the mark. To be honest, I DID find it kinda dull (plus, if that movie is meant to be a romance, I'm missing something). Vertigo is awesome though. Speaking of Hitchcock, OP, if you're looking for horror, Psycho is a classic which definitely lives up to the hype. You could also check out David Lynch (Eraserhead, Mulholland Drive, Blue Velvet - fuck Dune though).

Witches have no wit, said the magician who was weak.
Hula, hula, said the witches. - Norman Mailer
Apathy's_Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 11:06 AM   #11
Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apathy's_Child View Post
Man, I hated Marnie - interesting concept, but I just felt like the delivery somehow missed the mark. To be honest, I DID find it kinda dull (plus, if that movie is meant to be a romance, I'm missing something). Vertigo is awesome though. Speaking of Hitchcock, OP, if you're looking for horror, Psycho is a classic which definitely lives up to the hype. You could also check out David Lynch (Eraserhead, Mulholland Drive, Blue Velvet - fuck Dune though).
Ah, well we all have our own opinions, I myself found that every moment of Marnie had hold of my attention. Also, I don't mean to say that Marnie is strictly a romance, more like a psychological thriller with elements of romance...so probably not the best suggestion for a romance movie.
Old 03-29-2010, 01:28 PM   #12
vindicatedxjin

Quote:
David Lynch (Eraserhead, Mulholland Drive, Blue Velvet - fuck Dune though).
Erasure Head fucked with my head like nothing else...i'll never watch it again.

Bring Kontan Back
Old 03-29-2010, 08:18 PM   #13
Luv2H8

Quote:
Speaking of Hitchcock, OP, if you're looking for horror, Psycho is a classic which definitely lives up to the hype.
The original Black & white or the more recent color one.
Old 03-29-2010, 08:58 PM   #14
Altemese

Dark Prince The True Dracula Story.
I just watched it. And it was pretty darn good.
Altemese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 01:45 AM   #15
Apathy's_Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariner View Post
Ah, well we all have our own opinions, I myself found that every moment of Marnie had hold of my attention. Also, I don't mean to say that Marnie is strictly a romance, more like a psychological thriller with elements of romance...so probably not the best suggestion for a romance movie.
Well, quite - **SPOILERS** if I'm not mistaken, he forced her to marry him against her will, r.aped her, then gradually broke her down using psychoanalytical assertions that she was crazy. That he happened to be somewhat correct about the trauma in her past doesn't take away from the fact that he added to it, and I kind of saw the happy ending as an ironic comment on how much he - and society - gets away with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2H8 View Post
The original Black & white or the more recent color one.
I haven't seen the remake, but the original is almost perfect so I can't imagine there was a need for it.

Old 03-31-2010, 07:01 AM   #16
Mariner

Quote:
Well, quite - **SPOILERS** if I'm not mistaken, he forced her to marry him against her will, r.aped her, then gradually broke her down using psychoanalytical assertions that she was crazy. That he happened to be somewhat correct about the trauma in her past doesn't take away from the fact that he added to it, and I kind of saw the happy ending as an ironic comment on how much he - and society - gets away with.

I haven't seen the remake, but the original is almost perfect so I can't imagine there was a need for it.
I will admit how sexy Sean Connery was distracted me from the faults of his character lol. I saw the ending much differently, after Marnie finally discovered the secret of her childhood from her mother it just seemed to me like everything between Marnie and Mark was somehow alright then, like they were going to put it all behind them. It didn't seem to me so much that Mark was "getting away" so much as all of the issues were somehow at that point resolved. It was like Marnie coming face to face with the root of her psychological issues somehow wiped the slate clean for both of them.
Old 03-31-2010, 09:03 AM   #17
Luv2H8

Quote:
I will admit how sexy Sean Connery was distracted me from the faults of his character lol. I saw the ending much differently, after Marnie finally discovered the secret of her childhood from her mother it just seemed to me like everything between Marnie and Mark was somehow alright then, like they were going to put it all behind them. It didn't seem to me so much that Mark was "getting away" so much as all of the issues were somehow at that point resolved. It was like Marnie coming face to face with the root of her psychological issues somehow wiped the slate clean for both of them.
LoL Wut?
She gets raeped, forced into marriage, and mentally scarred and she forgets about ALL of it?
Old 03-31-2010, 11:34 PM   #18
Apathy's_Child

Quote:
It didn't seem to me so much that Mark was "getting away" so much as all of the issues were somehow at that point resolved. It was like Marnie coming face to face with the root of her psychological issues somehow wiped the slate clean for both of them.
Dude, no way! You don't cure a woman who has sexual issues springing from childhood trauma by r.aping her. If I thought Hitchcock intended to suggest the guy COULD wipe the slate clean after that (with no actual, lucid repentence on his part, might I add), I'd be goddamn offended. I think the ending's more about how she thinks it'll all be okay now because she's resolved the trauma of the past, but can't see far enough to realize that she's still being dominated, as much as the guy (can't remember his name) claims to love her. The happy ending seems entirely ironic. Throughout the movie, the dude uses psychoanalysis as a tool of repression, not liberation, and she buys it at the end.

Old 04-01-2010, 07:35 PM   #19
Mariner

Quote:
Dude, no way! You don't cure a woman who has sexual issues springing from childhood trauma by r.aping her. If I thought Hitchcock intended to suggest the guy COULD wipe the slate clean after that (with no actual, lucid repentence on his part, might I add), I'd be goddamn offended. I think the ending's more about how she thinks it'll all be okay now because she's resolved the trauma of the past, but can't see far enough to realize that she's still being dominated, as much as the guy (can't remember his name) claims to love her. The happy ending seems entirely ironic. Throughout the movie, the dude uses psychoanalysis as a tool of repression, not liberation, and she buys it at the end.
Eh, however the meaning of the movie is interpreted I still really enjoyed it.
Old 04-02-2010, 03:24 AM   #20
Apathy's_Child

Hey, fair enough. I prefer Vertigo in terms of thriller-y suspense though.

Anyone seen The Trouble With Harry? I thought that was awesome. Hitchcock is so hit & miss, though.

Old 04-02-2010, 05:02 AM   #21
JethroAranas

Clash of the Titans...in 3D.

So rocks.
Old 04-02-2010, 08:02 AM   #22
KontanKarite

Seven Pounds

Percepolis. Must be seen in French. The English actors weren't nearly as moving.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 08:24 AM   #23
Tam Li Hua

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindicatedxjin View Post
If you like Asian films and don't mind reading subtitles then I'm going to recommend you watch "A moment to remember", "the way home", "Sad movie", "Reincarnation", and "A tale of two sisters". Korean films rock.
Those last two are definitely awesome! I haven't seen the others, but I'll be on the look-out for them now.

Rom-Com's are okay, but I get annoyed with them easily; they all follow basically the same plot:

Two people get crushes on each other through awkward moments. As soon as they start falling in love with each other, there's some terrible misunderstanding that threatens to drive them apart forever. The man [usually, since of course men make all the mistakes, and women don't know how to apologize and forgive in these movies] does something fantastically romantic that the woman finds out about at the last moment, then runs into his arms. They live happily ever after.

Granted, there are a few variations on this, but in general, this seems to be the plot that is followed. Same for "friendship" movies.
Old 04-02-2010, 08:31 AM   #24
vindicatedxjin

More goodies are............

Grave of the fireflies

Spirited Away

The way home

Bajo la sal

Bring Kontan Back
Old 04-02-2010, 08:38 AM   #25
Mariner

Quote:
Hey, fair enough. I prefer Vertigo in terms of thriller-y suspense though.

Anyone seen The Trouble With Harry? I thought that was awesome. Hitchcock is so hit & miss, though.
I prefer Vertigo over Marnie as well.