Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Politics

Politics "Under democracy, one party always devotes its chief energies to trying to prove that the other party is unfit to rule -and both commonly succeed, and are right." -H.L. Menken

Old 05-08-2005, 07:30 PM   #26
AlKilyu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binkie
Here's how much I care about the current Bush approval rating:

Elections are over - approval rating doesn't really matter now, especially since he's a lame duck President. Approval rating could be 99% in disfavor of him, and it wouldn't change much about the future.

Well said.

This second-term president is actually busting his ass trying to better things, like save Social Security (he'll be long dead when it would run out, so there goes the self-serving theories).

There are presidents who do in fact fit the bill (no pun intended) of the 'lame duck' title.

Let's see...what did the last president who served two terms do?

Oh that's right! He got IMPEACHED!

He pardoned some buddies who didn't deserve to be at the last second!

And lest we forget his last campaign was financed, in part, by the Red Chinese?

Binkie you complete me. ^_^
AlKilyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 09:27 PM   #27
Binkie

8)

:wink:
"[Brian Blair] was a punk. I can break his fucking back - break his back and make him humble and then fuck his ass ... Suplex him, put him in a camel clutch, break his back, and fuck his ass - make him humble. Teach him to respect the Iron Sheik. And I didn't do it, because for the God and Jesus, and Mr. McMahon." -Khosrow Vaziri (The Iron Sheik)
Binkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 06:06 AM   #28
CptSternn

Oh yes, once again yourt right. I forgot to mention, the IRA disbanded after bush uninvited SF to the white house, and now there is totaly peace in Northern Ireland. My bad!

Back to reality - so your saying bush 'influenced' Adams, and now because of this the people voted for him? Ok, I challeneg you to show one thing that changed so drastically since Paddy's day that shows this?

Also, so your now saying you support SF?

I just find your whole 180 in your argument laughable. You started this thread bashing SF. Once I proved you wrong, you say the poll numbers so how reflect bush's influence on irish politics? Hahah.

Your quite funny, and very ill informed.

Slán
CptSternn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 06:42 PM   #29
Binkie

This may come as shocking news to you, Sternn, but Adams can't disband the IRA. Him coming out and saying, "disband" in a serious, unflinching manner wouldn't produce any real results. Why? Cause you have a bunch of mentally incompitent idiots in Northern Ireland who don't want to give up their gang turf or role there. This is why a.) the idiots split off into extremist IRA cells, and b.) they haven't given up the cache of weapons they use to rob banks with. So what else can he do? Next best thing: call for reforms within the IRA. Bush wants, Bush gets. Adams listens, Adams does. Just like a good boy.

And as for me "supporting" Sinn Fein, I'm not sure where you got that from, but I said I'm not entirely too distraught, as there now exists a strong influential puppet within Northern Ireland's political cess pool for Bush to manipulate and weild. I hope you had fun helping promote elections or what the hell ever you were babbling about. You did one better for helping the Bush Administration dip it's hands into Northern Ireland's politics. You're a true American, Sternn.
"[Brian Blair] was a punk. I can break his fucking back - break his back and make him humble and then fuck his ass ... Suplex him, put him in a camel clutch, break his back, and fuck his ass - make him humble. Teach him to respect the Iron Sheik. And I didn't do it, because for the God and Jesus, and Mr. McMahon." -Khosrow Vaziri (The Iron Sheik)
Old 05-09-2005, 06:50 PM   #30
TeapotScar

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlKilyu
He pardoned some buddies who didn't deserve to be at the last second!
Yeah- he pardoned some people who he shouldn't have, but Bush sends retarded people to the electric chair, so I'm sure that more than makes up for it.

Also, *most* presidents do a lot of pardoning at the end of their last term, it's not out-of-the-ordinary.

-Add me on myspace, because I'm pretty sure I've tried to add you! http://www.myspace.com/fermeztesyeux
TeapotScar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 08:38 PM   #31
AlKilyu

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptSternn
Oh yes, once again yourt right.
Holy shit you told the truth for once! :shock:

Binkie is always right.
AlKilyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 07:37 AM   #32
CptSternn

Binkie - your so far off base, you can't even see the park from where you are.

Bush had nothing to do with the NI elections. Furthermore, June 6th is the day you shoud be looking at? IF you don't know, then you really are not politically informed about NI politics. If you can tell me why that date is important, I might actually pay attention to any upcoming posts you have on the subject, but for now, your replies are laughable at best!

So June 6th, why is that important?

Slán
Old 05-12-2005, 08:21 AM   #33
Binkie

What? The 1997 elections?

This all you have? How about my question. What was significant about October 26 back in 2003? You lived in the states then, surely you would know. It affected everyone here and was carried by most of the news networks.
Old 05-14-2005, 06:14 AM   #34
CptSternn

Once again a simple quesiton asked and you dodge it and attempt to change the subject to something totally off topic.

Back to the question and the topic - that date - why is it important in the NU peace process, which you claim to know all about?

?
Old 05-14-2005, 11:10 AM   #35
Binkie

"The 1997 elections" should have been enough for you to decide there, pal. Having to do with Sinn Fein winning a first seat in parlament, you should know what I'm talking about, as there weren't a shit load of other events that happened durring the elections that someone like you would celebrate.

If that's what you're talking about (you should have been able to tell me this from the first time I answered), then I hardly see how that pertains to this conversation. If it's not, then I'm wrong, but I want to see if you know what happened on October 26, 2003 here in the States that effected everyone. If you don't, then you've proven my next point.
Old 05-17-2005, 06:07 AM   #36
CptSternn

Nothing happening in the us in 97 has jack shit to do with the current peace process in NI. Get your feeble head striaght and answer a question.

If you dont know the answer, just say so, dont ask me a totally off topic quesiton about some shit in the states that happened 20 uyears ago that has abso-fuckin-lutley nothing to do with the question.

You have dodged this question for 6 posts now - care to try for a 7th?

Slán
Old 05-17-2005, 10:12 AM   #37
Binkie

I did, numb nuts. Twice, in fact. You're just dancing around the answer. Come back when you want to talk about Northern Ireland.
Old 05-18-2005, 03:13 AM   #38
CptSternn

Ok, first lets look at the first posts in the topic. Its you pissing ojn SF saying they are bad and are going to lose the elections. The opposite happens, then you claim they have mended their ways, which is why the public still votes for them. You them claim it was all due to bush snubbing them.

However, bush snubbed ALL parties, so why did their rivals lose? Why when the sdlp, who isnt connected with any parmilitaries, lose EVERY seat? Why did the UUP, who also has no paramilitary ties also lose EVERY seat?

How does that factor into your bush equation?

And why is 97 got to do with this past election? I dont know because it doesnt. I am on the board here of Clare SF. I met with Geryy Kelly a few weeks back to discuss strategy before we went to the polls, so I think I might know a wee bit more about this than you, considering I lived here and work for SF.

If you want to impress me then tell me whats significant about the elections and June 6th. Trying to go off topic on what happened over 10 years ago in some other election in the north is not going to change the fact that we are taking over politically and there is nothing anyone can do to stop it.

I'll post, in the first week of June, what I am refering to, since you will not get it b efore then. If you watched RTE, a channel I know you don't get in the states, you would know because they talk about it all the time. Too bad they dont have their news on a website you can go look up. Looks like your SOL when it comes to finding out unless you actually know a few people from here. But dont worry, Ill post the full story as soon as it hits. We are working on it now.

Slán
Old 05-18-2005, 09:32 AM   #39
Binkie

They snubbed all parties, but only seemed to name "Sinn Fien" specifically ("Sinn Fien or any of the other political parties). And why now, do you think? Cause all of the other political parties in Northern Ireland were surrounded with controversy? Oh wait, no, that was pretty much just Sinn Fien. They were accussed of doing nothing to help the peace process in Northern Ireland. That's what W said, and guess what happened not too much later? Adams makes a speech telling the IRA to join the democratic process and basically lay down arms, as part of the '94 agreement.

If you don't know why June 6th of 1997 is important for Sinn Fien at all, then start looking in the mirror when you say, "You dont' know shit about Northern Ireland's politics." Seriously. That should have clicked somehow with you if you knew much about the peace process.
Old 05-19-2005, 04:55 AM   #40
CptSternn

I think I know what your refering to now, after studinyg your posts, but note a few things, that the Belfast agreement and the disarmament talks all happened in 98', not 94 nor did they happen in 97. I know because I was AT Stormont when that happened.

That explains why I had no idea what you were talking about, because your timeline is so far off, your not making any sense there.

The Good Friday Agreement happened in '98. We rallied outside during the talks. We were on the news. You might not have been there with us, but hey, at least get your dates striaght before saying people here in this country don't know when our own treaties were signed.

But thanks for playing!

I know this date well, as tis the date that britian and the us also released all IRA members and declared them free. My flatmate was incarcerated in Portolaise at the time for weapons charges. It was a glorious day. It was also the day we were allowed to fly back to the states, without having to declare any terrorist ties.

Bush is trying to change that, but we will see!

Slán
Old 05-19-2005, 05:33 AM   #41
Soul_Immortal

Come on now kids, can't we play nice?

PAY NO ATTENTION TO THE ANGEL OF SARDONICISM TYPING THIS POST!!

*Soulfly*
Old 05-19-2005, 08:36 AM   #42
Binkie

*Buzzer*

Wrong.

Quote:
But thanks for playing!
:wink:

You're not just a little off track there. You're way off. I realize you probably don't know a lot about Sinn Fein's past or the history of the Irish Republican movement in recent politics, so I won't sweat you too much for not knowing why June 6th, 1997 is significant to Sinn Fein or the Peace Process at all.

I will say I'm a little disappointed though. Surprised? No. You rarely know any background on the topics you discuss. Just disappointed. For some reason I thought you'd actually have some base knowledge on the subject.
Old 05-23-2005, 01:01 PM   #43
CptSternn

Ok, try this - google for it. You say there is so much on the web, you will see your a year off. You find me a page that says the GFA tookj place in 97 and ill kiss you ass in public and give you and hour to go drum up a crowd to watch.

So go ahead, show us where you found that date. As previously mentioned, I was in front of the courthouse on that date waiting on family members to be released. It's like the day Kennedy was shot in the states - ask any Irishman where they were that day IN 1998, and they will tell you.

Slán
Old 05-23-2005, 07:50 PM   #44
Binkie

Alright, since you're no good at guessing or looking up dates, I'll just go ahead and tell you:

I'm refering to the 1997 elections that elected a Sinn Fein member to become a part of parliament for the first time in a long time, which allowed your party to have an actual voice in the Peace Process.
Old 05-25-2005, 06:06 AM   #45
CptSternn

Dunno where you got that but thats way off. There have been many before 1997. SF has been around since the 70's and had PM seats then as well.

Also note they do not claim to be part of parliment. SF refuse to take the entry oath as it states they must serve the queen, so members elected never go to parliment, nor do they vote on anything, ever.

I mean, cummon, Bobby Sands - ran for SF back in 81 while in the kesh for being the Tyrone IRA Commander, and WON. That was 81, and it wasn't a first.

Slán
Old 05-25-2005, 06:39 AM   #46
Binkie

Just take a quick gander at any timeline.

It'll all tell you the same thing about your own country that you don't apparently already know. They haven't held a seat in Dáil Éireann since '86 prior to '97.
Old 05-26-2005, 10:04 AM   #47
CptSternn

Yeah, I'm looking at your timeline. There was a general election, like there is every year, and it says SF moved from 4th largest to 3rd largest. Thats all that timeline says. Nothing big about that.

Once again, fastforward up to '98 to see the events you are speaking of.

Slán
Old 05-26-2005, 01:22 PM   #48
Binkie

Quote:
Friday 6 June 1997: There was a general election in the Republic of Ireland. The ruling coalition government of Fine Gael, Labour and Democratic Left was defeated by a coalition of Fianna Fáil, Progressive Democrats, and independent members. Sinn Féin won its first seat in the Dáil Éireann, since it had ended its policy of abstentionism in 1986.
Old 05-26-2005, 01:35 PM   #49
Disfunction

My my... It's like I never left at all. You kids slay me!

haha... kids... that made me laugh.

...don't smother your kids."
Disfunction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 01:38 PM   #50
Binkie

Welcome back, Dis.