Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Politics

Politics "Under democracy, one party always devotes its chief energies to trying to prove that the other party is unfit to rule -and both commonly succeed, and are right." -H.L. Menken

Old 06-13-2012, 11:42 AM   #51
KissMeDeadly

Not really. It may surprise you to find that I forget you exist until I check on gnet for the day.

Also the fact that you were arguing with me about gun control in another thread made me kinda figure you weren't very pro gun. I know you were in the military (or are you still active?), but I figured that didn't carry over to civilian life.

Why don't you help me out. Explain your position on gun control, so I can at least know if I agree with you or not.

At least I'm pretty sure we both think deadman is a retard.
KissMeDeadly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 03:36 PM   #52
Versus

I'm not pro-gun. I'm still in the military, and my service has pervaded into every single aspect of my life and identity. My reason for owning a gun is very different from yours.
Had me creepin' 'round corners, homie sleepin' in my vest.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Versus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 04:05 PM   #53
KissMeDeadly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versus View Post
I'm not pro-gun. I'm still in the military, and my service has pervaded into every single aspect of my life and identity. My reason for owning a gun is very different from yours.
I can respect that. The only reason I asked is because you were getting a gun for concealed carry. When you're on active duty, why do you need to conceal your weapon?

And when you're out, and back home in civilian life, will you continue to conceal carry? For instance, going out to the grocery store, or to the park with your family?

And for reference, while I do own a shotgun and a .22 pistol (It was my granpappy's), I don't really see a reason that I should carry it around with me, and I don't. I use my guns mostly for recreational reasons. I do recognize that they are a weapon, and that if somebody were to break into my home, or otherwise threaten me or my family in my home, those guns would come in handy for fending off an attacker. Correct me if I'm wrong, but you seem to believe that (and this is going from the other thread) it would be wrong of me to defend myself using these guns, even though I am not in the military.
Old 06-13-2012, 04:39 PM   #54
Versus

I didn't buy a gun for my job, I bought one because of it. It has nothing to do with having a gun at work.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Old 06-13-2012, 05:04 PM   #55
Jonathan

Quote:
In other news, a new law in Indiana allows citizens to shoot police who unlawfully enter their homes.
Good. Unfortunately anyone who does this is going to earn themselves a death sentence.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 05:12 PM   #56
KissMeDeadly

Quote:
I didn't buy a gun for my job, I bought one because of it. It has nothing to do with having a gun at work.
So you carry this gun in your civilian life? As in at home, when not in a country where you're getting shot at?

If that's the case, are you saying that only military people should have the right to own a gun?

Because that's pretty fucking hypocritical, yo.

Last edited by KissMeDeadly; 06-13-2012 at 05:14 PM. Reason: Poor wording
Old 06-13-2012, 05:59 PM   #57
Solumina

Yeah I'm pretty sure you completely misinterpreted his post
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 06:11 PM   #58
KissMeDeadly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solumina View Post
Yeah I'm pretty sure you completely misinterpreted his post
I hope so.
Old 06-13-2012, 06:45 PM   #59
Versus

I carry a gun because when another car is merging into my lane on the freeway, sometimes my stomach churns and I feel an overwhelming sense of doom. Because sometimes I can't remember something, even after I remind myself five minutes prior. Because when somebody moves my things, even after I consented, sometimes I fly into an irrational fit of rage and feel like I don't have accountability of my life. Because I'm so used to fighting off exhaustion that I can't relax enough to fall asleep most nights from fear. Because sometimes I feel detached from my own interpersonal relationships like I'm not even a part of them. Because I analyze every corner, person, and object in a room before I walk into it. Because I typically hide emotionally from situations that bother me. Because any sound loud enough to feel sends my heart racing. Because I get a panic attack when there's too much going on around me. Because when I encounter anything in my life that's out of my control, I can barely contain my anger. Because I fantasize about killing myself. Because I feel like I can't genuinely empathize with people. Because seeing barbeque chicken makes me smell a 19 year old girl with third degree burns across 90% of her body. Because sometimes I shake in my sleep.

I'm not afraid for my own safety or concern about protecting my things or defending myself at all. Having a gun around me makes me feel safe and in control. Having one in my hands makes me feel powerful. To say anything else is an excuse, and a lie. And it's a right for me to possess the power to immediately end someone's life because why? Go ahead. I'll wait.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Old 06-14-2012, 04:09 AM   #60
KissMeDeadly

Quote:
I carry a gun because when another car is merging into my lane on the freeway, sometimes my stomach churns and I feel an overwhelming sense of doom. Because sometimes I can't remember something, even after I remind myself five minutes prior. Because when somebody moves my things, even after I consented, sometimes I fly into an irrational fit of rage and feel like I don't have accountability of my life. Because I'm so used to fighting off exhaustion that I can't relax enough to fall asleep most nights from fear. Because sometimes I feel detached from my own interpersonal relationships like I'm not even a part of them. Because I analyze every corner, person, and object in a room before I walk into it. Because I typically hide emotionally from situations that bother me. Because any sound loud enough to feel sends my heart racing. Because I get a panic attack when there's too much going on around me. Because when I encounter anything in my life that's out of my control, I can barely contain my anger. Because I fantasize about killing myself. Because I feel like I can't genuinely empathize with people. Because seeing barbeque chicken makes me smell a 19 year old girl with third degree burns across 90% of her body. Because sometimes I shake in my sleep.
These mostly sound like reasons to not be allowed to own a gun.

You still didn't explain why you think it's ok for you to own a gun, but not for anybody else, other than you're a special snowflake with anger/emotional issues.
Old 06-14-2012, 04:15 AM   #61
Saya

We'll ask to send you to war and ask for you to go through horrible shit, but don't expect us to understand or have any sympathy when you get back and have any issues about what we put you through.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 04:25 AM   #62
KissMeDeadly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya View Post
We'll ask to send you to war and ask for you to go through horrible shit, but don't expect us to understand or have any sympathy when you get back and have any issues about what we put you through.
Hey, now. I've never supported this war. I have a lot of respect for veterans, because I recognize they have gone through some shit that I would not at all be able to handle, but when somebody tells me "I own a gun because when somebody moves my things, even after I consented, sometimes I fly into an irrational fit of rage", and then turns around and says that I have no right to own a gun...that I should throw away the only two items I have to remind me of my grandpa because I never joined the military...that just seems a little whack, doesn't it?

Respect, and sympathy are two things that veterans are always welcome to from me, however, passive submission is not one of those things.
Old 06-14-2012, 04:34 AM   #63
Saya

Dickhead, he's not saying that's why he should have a gun, but why he got one. Its not a rational, logical decision on his part. If you had any respect for veterans you'd fucking listen to what he's saying rather than putting words in his mouth.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 04:42 AM   #64
KissMeDeadly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya View Post
Its not a rational, logical decision on his part.
Really? Cause it looks like he thought about it for a while, considering he asked Deadman for advice.

Sorry if it offends you, Saya, but when a man with a gun tells me I don't have a right to own a gun, I may get a little flustered. I respect the man for what he has gone through, but I won't lick his boots. Sorry, it just doesn't work that way.
Old 06-14-2012, 07:39 AM   #65
Versus

Quote:
Originally Posted by KissMeDeadly View Post
Yeah, that's what I was getting at. I don't have a gun anymore. I had a service size 1911 that I kept by the bed a couple years ago when I lived in an area with a lot of gun violence. I sold it to a friend at work when I didn't want it anymore. I asked Deadman where I can find a specific gun because I want one again. Like Saya said, it's not a rational or logical decision, especially because I have the honesty to admit to myself why I feel like I need one. What's logical is that I recognize that my selfish wants do not equate to rights.

Quote:
You still didn't explain why you think it's ok for you to own a gun, but not for anybody else, other than you're a special snowflake with anger/emotional issues.
Because I didn't say that? I was illustrating why I should not have one in response to your question why I think I should be allowed to. In fact, I specifically asked you why I should be allowed to at the end.

I have years of training and experience with all manner of firearms. I am vastly more qualified to be a "responsible" gun owner and to exercise proper "discipline" then you are. But you know what? I'm still human, and I'm not infallible from passion or carelessness. Why should I be a risk? I don't need a gun or the power that it enables in my day to day life whatsoever. And based on the evidence of other models of gun laws, I don't think most people do, either. Especially you. You're the one who is saying they deserve to own a gun because they're a special snow/flake. I don't fucking care that you lose out on a little recreational enjoyment and it's fucking selfish for you to say you that you possess the power for wholesale slaughter simply because you can. It's amoral to put other people's lives at risk just because you enjoy the power trip of using deadly force on occasion. Get over yourself.

By the way, in Texas, the legal age to own a gun is 21. Unless you're in the military. Then it's 18.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Old 06-14-2012, 07:53 AM   #66
Versus

And die in a fucking fire. I don't want your god damn fake ass fucking sympathy. You marginalized my frustration and rage when you don't even fucking know what it is or what the fuck you're supposed to feel sorry for.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Old 06-14-2012, 07:58 AM   #67
KissMeDeadly

I'm in Tennessee, it's 18 for rifles and shotguns, 21 for pistols.

How are other peoples lives in danger from a 20 gauge break action and a .22 revolver in a gun safe in my bedroom? I don't have kids, and I've taken safety courses and grew up hunting in rural Tennessee. Not saying that is anywhere equal to military training, but I am saying I know how to properly handle a gun in a safe manner.

I must admit to misreading your post, I thought you were listing those as reasons for you *to* own a gun, and for that, I apologize.

I still don't see how it's amoral to own a gun. If you can say that, because you can kill someone with a gun, it is amoral to own one, you're going to have to get rid of a whole lot of shit in your home. Should I throw out my kitchen knives? What about my baseball bat? Yeah, I used it for little league when I was twelve, but now I'm an adult and I might hurt somebody. Better throw it out!

The way to keeping everybody safe and secure isn't by outlawing anything that can be dangerous, it's by educating people on safety and generally not being a fuckhead.
Old 06-14-2012, 07:59 AM   #68
KissMeDeadly

Quote:
And die in a fucking fire. I don't want your god damn fake ass fucking sympathy. You marginalized my frustration and rage when you don't even fucking know what it is or what the fuck you're supposed to feel sorry for.
Old 06-14-2012, 08:28 AM   #69
Versus

Quote:
How are other peoples lives in danger from a 20 gauge break action and a .22 revolver in a gun safe in my bedroom?
Because you could take them out and try to shoot somebody with them?

Quote:
I still don't see how it's amoral to own a gun. If you can say that, because you can kill someone with a gun, it is amoral to own one, you're going to have to get rid of a whole lot of shit in your home. Should I throw out my kitchen knives? What about my baseball bat? Yeah, I used it for little league when I was twelve, but now I'm an adult and I might hurt somebody. Better throw it out!
Not because that you can hurt somebody, but because of how easily you can. You can't compare intercontinental ballistic missiles with MIRV warheads to small arms. You can't compare guns to baseball bats and kitchen knives. They are not the same, and anybody that exercises critical thinking can understand this. If you want to argue this, I want you to show me an instance where a single person was able to kill a hundred people in a matter of hours with a baseball bat or a kitchen knife or anything else of lesser lethality then a gun. Go ahead. I'll wait.

Quote:
The way to keeping everybody safe and secure isn't by outlawing anything that can be dangerous, it's by educating people on safety and generally not being a fuckhead.
I understand the importance of safety when preventing accidental deaths, but how are you going to enforce preventing intentional deaths? You can't control somebody from 'being a fuckhead.' But you can control what somebody is capable of while being a fuckhead.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Old 06-14-2012, 08:30 AM   #70
Versus

Quote:
What the fuck is this guy's problem? I gave him the politically correct and token response to his service, so why is he still angry?
Weird. I don't get it.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Old 06-14-2012, 08:46 AM   #71
KissMeDeadly

What do you want me to say, Versus?

Thank you so much for joining the military to support yourself, and then fighting a war I don't support while spending my tax money to support you. Thank you so much for making poor life decisions and then expecting everybody else to make up for it. Thank you for joining the military and then crying about all the terrible things they made you do.

I know I have no idea the horrors you must have seen but you need to understand that I nor anybody else forced you to join. You knew the risks involved, and you knew that we were in war time.

So, what, you're mad because I don't think you deserve any more than a respectful nod from me? The people who you have directly influenced owe you resepct. The people you have helped keep safe overseas owe you something. I don't owe you anything. I respect you for being far more brave than myself, but beyond that, I don't owe you shit.
Old 06-14-2012, 09:09 AM   #72
Versus

Yes. Because my dissatisfaction stems from my desire for more of what you're giving me. Please, good sir, I beg of you! Shower me with your presumptions about my life, identity, and experience! Let me bask in the utter ecstasy of victim blaming and marginalization that I am so starved for without your benevolence! I do not dare to fathom my life absent of such sweet gentlemen like you, who make every fucking injustice in this fucking country about them.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Old 06-14-2012, 09:11 AM   #73
KissMeDeadly

Quote:
I do not dare to fathom my life absent of such sweet gentlemen like myself, who make every fucking injustice in this fucking country about them.
Fixed that for ya, buddy.
Old 06-14-2012, 09:38 AM   #74
Versus

Ah, the ol' switch-a-roo! I see that your bag of privileged tricks is extensive. I immediately feel compelled to stop calling you out on your bullshit and start defending myself. How silly of me; it is wrong for me to do so when, clearly, YOU are the one who suffers from war. It must be awful to pay for things you don't support through taxes and to be subjected to the incessant whining of veterans. How do you do it?

-Breathin, Tupac.
Old 06-14-2012, 09:56 AM   #75
AshleyO

Quote:

Dude. You're being a dick like DAMN.

So you didn't support the war. Great. So that gives you permission to give people who went to the wars a hard time? So you don't have to give a shit because you didn't support it anyway? You're a fucking bastard.

"God always picks the strangest things to get angry about. Get an abortion or gay married and he'll aim a tornado right at you.

Rip off a million poor people and Wall street has no problems. " -Rebecca B
AshleyO is offline   Reply With Quote