Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 04-29-2010, 12:53 PM   #26
KontanKarite

Why are you dodging the point? You're stating spiritual truths and I'm asking for your evidence of it. How are you so certain and if you're not, how can you be comfortable with indulging in a bad idea that you KNOW is more than likely false.

BTW, the only things I resent are BAD ideas and those willing to indulge in those bad ideas, especially when it serves no purpose other than to don rose tinted glasses.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 12:58 PM   #27
vindicatedxjin

I'm not trying to dodge your point, I understand that there is no concrete evidence of us having a spiritual realm of any sort, but that doesn't stop me from "feeling" like I have a soul. I feel things, I've witnesses paranormal shit, I might be crazy...who knows? But I can't say that me, feeling something, is a false alarm. I don't want to change your view point in any sense, I am happy that you have complete assurance that there are no souls, nor any spiritual realm. You are at a different level than I am, and accept I that. All I'm trying to say, is that I can't deny what I feel. (No rudeness attached.)

Bring Kontan Back
vindicatedxjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 01:06 PM   #28
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by KontanKarite View Post
But if you're searching for truth, you can't stop at what makes you feel good. It's disingenuous and a lie. Stopping at what's comfortable isn't exactly spiritual enlightenment, it's establishing a comfort zone at best and admitting that you actually are afraid of the truth at worst. In the most dire of times, your "feel good" spirituality will not console you.
Thats very true. I don't know if vindi is thinking of enlightenment the same way I think of it, but I think a lot of other Buddhists think that way, that we should lock ourselves away from the pain and sorrow of the world so we can be happy in our "enlightenment".

As for my own beliefs, I gotta go soon so I'll keep this short, but I don't really believe in much. I'm Zen Buddhist, which rejects a lot of the supernatural aspects of Buddhism, or rather deems it unimportant. Chanting the lotus sutra over and over won't give you good karma or save you, for example. I think if I were to assert that there is an underlying aspect of everything in the universe which connects it and everything, which I do suspect, I wouldn't be able to defend it because I haven't seen it yet. Even if I knew it intellectually, I haven't experienced it. So I keep in mind that I don't know, I meditate zazen style (focusing on the breath and not following thoughts), and when I do it does clear my mind and I can see things in a more fair view (yeah, I know, I must not do it enough ), but its not always comforting, sometimes its unpleasant and sometimes its very weird. More or less, I'm religious in this way because it makes me, personally, a more functional and compassionate person, and I feel it can help me help others better.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 01:09 PM   #29
KontanKarite

Occam's Razor would conclude that you suffer delusions. I've been through what you've been through. I used to think there were ghosts and all sorts of crazy shit going on. But at the end of the day, it was all power of suggestion. You define soul in a sense as if in some way we have somewhere to go after we die. But that's far too unlikely to give any credence to it. We are not terminal and transcendent balls of blue light.

Don't deny your feelings, but don't assume that what you feel is in some way supernatural. You do realize that your feelings and emotions are chemical reactions. Doesn't make them any less important, but they certainly aren't the domain of what you call "the soul".

Old 04-29-2010, 01:39 PM   #30
Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindicatedxjin View Post
Beautiful quote....btw where you been?
It is, and what he was working on (along with a few others) allowed the construction of MRI machines.

I've been working on my degree, but I've still been around here reading.

Quote:
I feel things, I've witnesses paranormal shit
Honestly, there have been times when I thought I had too. Things can be misleading.

"It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
That one is Carl Sagan.
Raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 01:41 PM   #31
vindicatedxjin

Quote:
Don't deny your feelings, but don't assume that what you feel is in some way supernatural. You do realize that your feelings and emotions are chemical reactions. Doesn't make them any less important, but they certainly aren't the domain of what you call "the soul".
I'm just going to try to be the happy person that I am, chemically imposed or not. Thanks for your input.

Bring Kontan Back
Old 04-29-2010, 07:21 PM   #32
KontanKarite

So you've opted to ignore logic. Clearly you're better than that, but you choose to grasp at non-truths as if it will enrich your life in some way. You're better than that, xJin. Or I would hope that you are.

Old 04-29-2010, 07:42 PM   #33
Skye Jules

I guess you could consider me an atheist. I mean, I think it's just as ludicrous to say there is no God as to say there is a God, because no one existed at the beginning of time to prove either one. But I side more with logic than anything else, and I do consider myself an existentialist.
Skye Jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 08:01 PM   #34
KontanKarite

Oh hai, skye. You're a little late and really wrong.

Old 04-29-2010, 11:20 PM   #35
Still Jack

I don't care if you're an atheist a christian fucknutter, white supremacist or Zionist. Anyone that rubs their opinion in other people's faces deserves a jolly decent stabbing. But that's just my opinion...
Old 04-30-2010, 06:28 AM   #36
Stormtrooper of Death

I'm an agnostic, an I believe that there could be a God yes, but I choose to live my life by karma, and it's worked pretty well so far.

I believe that the universe is infinite, and always expanding, so I strongly believe in aliens, and that they have not only visited us and continue to do so, I also believe that they have walked among us, be it in ancient cultures, such as Egyptian and Sumerian cultures.
Old 04-30-2010, 06:33 AM   #37
vindicatedxjin

Quote:
So you've opted to ignore logic. Clearly you're better than that, but you choose to grasp at non-truths as if it will enrich your life in some way. You're better than that, xJin. Or I would hope that you are.
Meh, maybe I am. I just haven't reached that point in my life yet perhaps, to where I'm willing to accept that possibility. Or maybe you're the one that is wrong? Either way, I don't think it makes me OR you any less of a person.

Bring Kontan Back
Old 04-30-2010, 08:13 AM   #38
blindNsect

I beleeb in nussing, Lebowski, NUSSING.
blindNsect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 08:14 AM   #39
vindicatedxjin

Big lebowski is hilarious.

Bring Kontan Back
Old 04-30-2010, 08:48 AM   #40
vindicatedxjin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormtrooper of Death View Post
I'm an agnostic, an I believe that there could be a God yes, but I choose to live my life by karma, and it's worked pretty well so far.

I believe that the universe is infinite, and always expanding, so I strongly believe in aliens, and that they have not only visited us and continue to do so, I also believe that they have walked among us, be it in ancient cultures, such as Egyptian and Sumerian cultures.

I've read up a lot on the whole Sumerian/Annunaki thing. I went totally coo coo into research on their mythology. I used to be obsessed with the Egyptians, but the Sumerian's kind of won my my heart over. I just don't know who I side with yet Enki or Enlil.

On an interesting side note, I made a note on facebook mentioning that 13 artifacts dating to the Third Dynasty of Ur, were illegally dug up by an Iraqi dude, but he turned them in recently...I think they consisted mostly of cuneiform writing with a bunch of complex mathematical shit. Apparently there are 12,000 ancient mounds in that area. It's sad though to mention that much of the area was heavily damaged by U.S. occupation troops, who used it as their main barracks in southern Iraq. Why did they have to pick a historical place??? UGH.
I love history and respecting archaeology. It pisses me off when people don't care. (unless they were there for that specific reason?) Meh.

Bring Kontan Back
Old 04-30-2010, 09:02 AM   #41
blindNsect

I would go further and argue that aliens may have genetically altered us in some way.
Old 04-30-2010, 09:03 AM   #42
vindicatedxjin

Ooh don't even get me started with this topic!

Bring Kontan Back
Old 04-30-2010, 09:12 AM   #43
blindNsect

Why not? It's my favorite.
Old 04-30-2010, 04:31 PM   #44
Anarasha

Quote:
...but the more I studied on atheism, the more my mindset started shifting away from it.)
How can you study something that is simply the lack of belief in a higher power?
I could be wrong, but is there anything to study at all?

As for my belief..
I have arrived at the conclusion that my human brain is not under any circumstances able to solve the endless loop that is the riddle of creation.
Therefore, I bother not with trying to figure out if some mad or demented creature put us here, if some kid with a magnifying glass on the universal scale wanted to see us squirm or if we are lab rats.
To be blunt, I don't care why we are. We just are. That's all I need.
Anarasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 05:54 PM   #45
Luv2H8

Personally, I don't give half a rat's ass if God exists or not or how the universe came into existence.
As for other matters, such as aliens, yes. I do believe in their existence, mostly because the chances that we, as humans, are the only intelligent beings seem pretty low, even more so considering how vast the universe is.
Old 04-30-2010, 06:09 PM   #46
Ben Lahnger

I fear only the makers of Soylent Green!

As the poets have mournfully sung,
death takes the innocent young,
the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,
and those who are very well hung.

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Ben Lahnger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 07:04 PM   #47
Anarasha

The only makers I really fear are the makers of bad software.
That's the stuff that'll kill you.
Anarasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 04:09 PM   #48
Azareal Crow

I believe in a higher power, whether they created us or we created them I don't know but I do believe in a god and a goddess who rule like a king and queen over lesser gods and goddesses as well as angels and the like. I believe in the supernatural and that there are things out there we can't even being to explain. I might not be able to bring any proof to the table but I know what I've seen and what I've felt and how it's changed me and leads me through my life.
*shrug*
Azareal Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 04:16 PM   #49
Hearts_Purple

I believe that we come from nothingness and return to the same when we close our eyes for the last time.
Hearts_Purple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 04:20 PM   #50
JCC.

Question

What the fuck?
JCC. is offline   Reply With Quote