Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Music

Music Finally, an entire forum devoted to talking about Doktor Avalanche, the drum machine for the Sisters of Mercy. You can talk about other bands, or other members of that band, too, if you want to be UNCOOL.

Old 02-16-2010, 07:27 AM   #51
Stormtrooper of Death

Prong rules. Nuff said.
Old 02-17-2010, 08:11 AM   #52
Quantumbleaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormtrooper of Death View Post
Prong rules. Nuff said.
Meh. Danzig is better.
Quantumbleaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 10:24 AM   #53
Stormtrooper of Death

No, they're just as ok, but only the first four albums.
Old 02-17-2010, 01:19 PM   #54
Sinjob

Not a real band, but I give Mr. Small credit for his badass skills at guitar. Plus most of its satire anyway so there really doesn't need to be a full on critique of the music itself. It's a decent show though.
Sinjob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 03:20 PM   #55
Quantumbleaper

As I said before...meh. Prong is...meh.
Old 02-17-2010, 03:41 PM   #56
jpb7776

Dude, Prong is a sick ass band!! As for Dethklok, never was a huge fan of the music. The show was funny at times, but it was like another Spinal Tap for metal and was a seriously piss in the face of metal music.

I LOVE Mayhem as well...The Dawn of the Black Hearts bootleg, as shitty as the quality is, is still one of the rawest things I've heard in my life (Maybe aside from the Deathcrush EP). If we're talking Black Metal, we have to mention the Swedish bands, like Marduk and Dissection.

More focus on the latter, for those that don't know them, this is their biggest "hit." I think there are tons other great songs, but this will be a nice introduction.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-uM6oDkw8c
jpb7776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 07:46 AM   #57
Stormtrooper of Death

Bathory is hands down my favorite Swedish black metal band, and my favorite black metal band period.

Marduk is good, but I've always been more into Darkthrone. Fenriz is one of my heros.
Old 02-18-2010, 07:53 AM   #58
Quantumbleaper

Marduk is some kick ass shit. I dont have alot of them. Black metal has really taken a turn for the worse though in later years. *cough* Gorgoroth.
Old 02-18-2010, 03:12 PM   #59
jpb7776

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormtrooper of Death View Post
Bathory is hands down my favorite Swedish black metal band, and my favorite black metal band period.
The early stuff certainly, but anything post Hammerheart (or even Blood Fire Death) wasn't black metal. :\ Viking metal, Norse metal, Folk metal maybe, but not black metal. Not that I disagree one bit with your sentiment! But, I think Dissection released one of the greatest Swedish black metal albums with "Storm of the Light's Bane", then Marduk had "Those of the Unlight" and "Opus Nocturne" and then, along with Lord Belial's "Enter the Moonlight Gate." Hell, I'll even throw in Dark Funeral's "The Secrets of the Black Arts"

Darkthrone are great, but Norwegian...
Old 02-19-2010, 05:59 AM   #60
Stormtrooper of Death

They may be form Norway, but they are still going to this day, although the new stuff is a pretty big letdown. Anyways, yes Bathory got bad after the first three albums and then never really recovered. Shame about Quorthon though, may he rest in peace.
Old 02-19-2010, 12:11 PM   #61
jpb7776

Hail! Sure made some incredible music. Darkthrone have done some pretty good stuff, unfortunately, I only ever bought "Transylvanian Hunger." I've always been more of the Swedish black metal fan, which is why I never really looked beyond the Mayhem and Burzum stuff. I should give it a try.
Old 02-19-2010, 01:08 PM   #62
PortraitOfSanity

Hail?

Fuck sometimes I'm so embarassed to call myself a Black Metal fan with turds like that running around in the midst of the scene.

Dark Throne's totally overrated.

You've seriously lost all respect in my book in the three posts of yours in this thread. Get over your Burzum/Mayhem felatio stage, and maybe someday you'll realize that Black Metal today is infinitely more interesting than the 2nd wave 90's crap.

There's actually variety in Black Metal today, but I suppose you're one of the people that cling to the notions that you have to sound like another cookie cutter band to be Black Metal. If not, well check out Njiqahdda, Spektr, Savaoth, Horna, Ancient Wisdom, Averse Sefira, and maybe even some Striborg. Just branch out, there's so much more to Black Metal than "raw".

I don't hate you. Saying I hate you would be like saying I hate a dog with no legs trying to cross a busy freeway.
-Mr. Filth
PortraitOfSanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 03:25 PM   #63
jpb7776

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortraitOfSanity View Post
Hail?

Fuck sometimes I'm so embarassed to call myself a Black Metal fan with turds like that running around in the midst of the scene.

Dark Throne's totally overrated.

You've seriously lost all respect in my book in the three posts of yours in this thread. Get over your Burzum/Mayhem felatio stage, and maybe someday you'll realize that Black Metal today is infinitely more interesting than the 2nd wave 90's crap.

There's actually variety in Black Metal today, but I suppose you're one of the people that cling to the notions that you have to sound like another cookie cutter band to be Black Metal. If not, well check out Njiqahdda, Spektr, Savaoth, Horna, Ancient Wisdom, Averse Sefira, and maybe even some Striborg. Just branch out, there's so much more to Black Metal than "raw".

...the "Hail!" was for the Quorthon comment, sorry it wasn't quite up to your standards. I don't recall ever claiming to be some sort of self proclaimed genius or elitist on the Black Metal scene, nor did I profess any sort of adoration for Mayhem and Burzum, in fact the first time I mentioned the latter was in the last post; I suppose mentioning them once means love...Also, I simply mentioned that I never fully indulged in any of Darkthrone's catalog past one album. Forcing an "overrated" comment my direction has absolutely no merit to me because I never considered them among my favorites, which is pretty clear in my "three" posts in this thread.

I mentioned plenty of Swedish albums to transcend your association of me and "raw." The DOTBA comment....again one. I'm glad you can judge people oh so quickly.

And I guess I'm supposed to be devastated that I lost your respect for "three" posts that hurt you oh so much; It's unfortunate to lose respect of someone I never met, seen, heard, conversed with or cared about. I don't know how I'll cope.
Old 02-19-2010, 03:52 PM   #64
PortraitOfSanity

Plenty of Swedish bands? You mentioned Dissection...

You just come off as another guy who thinks anything after the 90s isn't worth listening to.

But to be fair, what else do you like as far as BM goes? Maybe I even misjudged you, but let's see the proof.

I don't hate you. Saying I hate you would be like saying I hate a dog with no legs trying to cross a busy freeway.
-Mr. Filth
PortraitOfSanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 04:05 PM   #65
jpb7776

Oh and P.S. I love how you claimed to be embarrassed of someone else and proceeded to use the word "turd" in the same sentence. Very intelligent language.

That whole mentality is laughable, because I don't know you, and more than 95% of the entire rest of the world doesn't either; albeit they don't know me either. However, you've conceived some insane notion that your "eclectic" knowledge of various bands makes you of higher rank on the scale of humanity. Like somehow there's this aristocracy of black metal fans; a caste system where you and your friends can only dwell. And, for all anyone knows you could have looked up the names of bands to make yourself sound "cooler" when in reality you've only isolated yourself further from acquiring my and/or someone else's respect with your attempt. (Because respect on a free, worldwide internet forum is apparently so important to you)

The only reason I've taken the time to point all this out to you is because you reacted so drastically to a comment from one person on a subject that has virtually no worth to modern society. It's music, relax a little. Plus, this is a gothic forum, I came here to talk gothic music and that scene; the classic and modern. The concept that a member has little to no interest in a scene exclusive to gothic is no stretch of the imagination whatsoever. I bet by now your adrenaline is rushing, your fingers are twitching and you cannot wait to give it another attempt to make me mad, but vain it is my friend because I've got more important areas of my life to worry about. You also will most likely come back with yet another elitist comment on how "music is my life" and "I spend all my time on music;" and that's fine, everyone needs a hobby, more power to you if you immersed yourself in it and have devotion. But please, leave your misjudgments and nihilistic attitude at the door, and keep it what it is...a hobby.
Old 02-19-2010, 04:07 PM   #66
jpb7776

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortraitOfSanity View Post
Plenty of Swedish bands? You mentioned Dissection...

You just come off as another guy who thinks anything after the 90s isn't worth listening to.

But to be fair, what else do you like as far as BM goes? Maybe I even misjudged you, but let's see the proof.
I still meant every word of my post above, but if you're ready to be civil about it then great.

Lord Belial, Dark Funeral, Marduk. All Swedish.

Aside from what I already mentioned. Sargeist's "Satanic Black Devotion" was always a favorite. Gris is a great new band I've enjoyed. Ulver has some pretty aesthetically pleasing material. Wolves in the Throne Room I've actually seen in concert, and loved. Nyktalgia are really depressing but I cannot argue the music isn't emotionally driven, which is awesome. Just to name a select few.
Old 02-22-2010, 06:28 AM   #67
Stormtrooper of Death

Ahhh PoS is gettin mad again.

Back to the thread, Destroyer 666 is my kinda music, Satanic Speed Metal all the way.
Old 02-22-2010, 07:42 AM   #68
Quantumbleaper

Personally I think Lord Belial could use some work. There ok, but come off as a little genaric to me.
anyone ever heard of either Samael or Siebenburgen?
Old 02-28-2010, 02:08 PM   #69
Angelic Dissonance

What's amazing about Dethklok is how they took death metal and turned it so rock that n00bs don't know the dif and think they like it. And, it's turned out good. The show is hilarious, btw. But legit band? IDK....
Angelic Dissonance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 06:21 AM   #70
Stormtrooper of Death

You want real metal, I'll give you real metal:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxnVuvywUUQ

Going to get that album either today or tomorrow along with Mortician's Hacked Up For BBQ and Impetigo's Horror Of The Zombies
Old 03-02-2010, 03:14 PM   #71
Angelic Dissonance

No, I'll give you REAL metal: http://www.last.fm/listen/artist/Suf...similarartists
I pray that the link works....
Angelic Dissonance is offline   Reply With Quote