Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Whining

Whining This forum is for general whining. Please post all suicide threats, complaints about significant others, and statements about how unfair school is to this board.

Old 05-22-2012, 01:02 PM   #7401
Delkaetre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
The worst part is I can't do shit about it, because I lied to him that I was almost done with the translation.
I didn't know his stories would be this bad! I didn't know!!
Tell him you were waiting to the end, in case he pulled a last minute miracle out of his ass. And, having finished reading and nearly finished the translation, it is now fantastically apparent that he's a Gary Sue writing hack.

My whine of the day is this:
I managed to trip on perfectly flat ground, skinning the entirety of one kneecap (really, the whole front of the knee. It's like a three inch square of missing flesh) and getting a swollen lump on my wrist (which is tender as fuck and feels bruisey even when I rest a cold thing on it to lower the swelling), and wrecking one of my last good pairs of tights. Seeing this, two women came to help - both tourists. Several native Londoners walked right on by the crying, bleeding young woman on the pavement.

I am reminded of just how much I hate pain and discomfort, and that London is full of utter twunts despite being an otherwise delightful city, and that now I'll have to go spend money on expensive tights because no other kinds last or fit properly.

Man, fuck the two hours since leaving the gym today. Everything was fine till then.
The noblest sentiment I have encountered and the most passionate political statement to stir my heart both belong to a fictional character. Why do we have no politicians as pure in their intent and determinedly joyous in their outlook as Arkady Bogdanov of Red Mars?
Delkaetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 01:47 PM   #7402
Catch

Well today I got an e-mail to recover my password. I changed my password and added a fake e-mail and somehow was invited back via my old e-mail that wasn't even the last active e-mail on gothic.net.

I don't really feel big ranting is necessary.
Old 05-22-2012, 07:04 PM   #7403
Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya View Post
Ha, that's a point that we keep coming back to in later classes. Part of it is how linguistics shape how we think of ourselves, and part is he curious trend of women's bodies being dynamic and life giving, but we equate "feminine" with wastefulness, death, destruction, while we equate "masculine" with dynamic, life, energy, and even in fields like medicine and science which are supposed to be objective, our sexism leaks out in our language.

Even for traits that we equate with "feminine", love, empathy, selflessness, its debatable whether we give "feminine" these traits in an effort to enforce patriarchy on women (you're supposed to be a selfless mother, that's your point in life!) or if we view those traits as unmanly and weak because women have claimed them well.

I should also point out that the text is an anthology of interesting articles about feminism and women's studies and not necessarily presented as absolute truth. Our prof made us write journal entries every week on our readings that required a bit of research that provided more context, so that was helpful.
Wait, do we equate feminine with death, destruction, waste, etc, because of the words used to describe menstruation?

The part I bolded is one of the issues I find to be the most interesting. The way the gender norms that were enforced to confine women to the motherly role ended up confining men as well. I never thought about if women 'claiming them well' was a bigger factor than the enforcement of those traits. It's something to research. Off topic but related, there's hardly any research done specifically on eating disorders in men. I assume since being focused on being thin is seen as primarily a female phenomena people don't think about men wanting to be thin. I tried to do a paper relating to it a couple years ago but couldn't find enough research.

I've realized what my biggest problem is when it comes to the course. I've always thought of myself somewhat as a feminist, or I guess a humanist. Whatever you want to call a person who'll rage at others for their sexism, and homophobia, and general close minded asshole opinions. But I'm having a hard time getting behind how the book is lifting up rocks to find misogyny when there's SO MUCH OF IT elsewhere. It's important to identify every trace of misogyny, but I find things like the wage disparity between minority women and the rest of the world more important to get informed about than the implications of calling the old tissue of uterine lining waste.

I think I understand why it upsets people. It implies the female body is doing something wrong, and the actions of the females reproductive parts is described to fit the female role, and less than that of the males. But at the same time the female body doesn't usually get pregnant. So the lining gets removed, like waste. It still makes sense to me why it would be described that way, and it doesn't make me outraged. I guess I just feel there are worse things out there I can be mad about.

I'm willing to admit what I see as the big issues could stem from the 'smaller issues'. I suppose it's because I don't directly see the effects.

I actually want to research so much of this. There was a line in the chapter about how eunuchs comprised a third gender, I had no idea about that. I think there's a reading on it coming up.
Valhalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 08:20 PM   #7404
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhalla View Post
Wait, do we equate feminine with death, destruction, waste, etc, because of the words used to describe menstruation?
No, I mean we speak of female bodies in a way that we have for a long time. Medicine didn't invent those attitudes, its just that medicine isn't completely free from those attitudes.

Quote:
The part I bolded is one of the issues I find to be the most interesting. The way the gender norms that were enforced to confine women to the motherly role ended up confining men as well. I never thought about if women 'claiming them well' was a bigger factor than the enforcement of those traits. It's something to research. Off topic but related, there's hardly any research done specifically on eating disorders in men. I assume since being focused on being thin is seen as primarily a female phenomena people don't think about men wanting to be thin. I tried to do a paper relating to it a couple years ago but couldn't find enough research.
Patriarchal women have a tendency to uphold gender essentialism (the notion that biology is destiny, if you will, we are this way because we were born with these genitals women and no one can change it.) There are anti-feminist women who claim it is our destiny and our duty to be feminine, to be heterosexual and to be mothers. And it doesn't even have to be quite that extreme or conscious, I know mothers who feel so invested in being a mother that they are overprotective of their children, even against their partners, because men naturally aren't as nurturing as women are. A lot of non-feminist friends of mine also like to say negative things about men as if all men are like it (pigs, distant, lazy, jealous, etc). Now the stay at home mom in a patriarchal society is still at a disadvantage, she has no income of her own, and it'll be harder for her to get a job if she returns to the workforce after years of absense, or if there is a divorce. Economically she depends on the good graces of her husband. If a woman chooses to be a housewife and mother because she feels obligated to and not because it was a free, conscious choice, she can become bitter against her husband without really knowing why and become controlling over children and the house.

Quote:
I've realized what my biggest problem is when it comes to the course. I've always thought of myself somewhat as a feminist, or I guess a humanist. Whatever you want to call a person who'll rage at others for their sexism, and homophobia, and general close minded asshole opinions. But I'm having a hard time getting behind how the book is lifting up rocks to find misogyny when there's SO MUCH OF IT elsewhere. It's important to identify every trace of misogyny, but I find things like the wage disparity between minority women and the rest of the world more important to get informed about than the implications of calling the old tissue of uterine lining waste.
Oh, I agree, no one is going to march against medical language, and this is my huge misgiving over mainstream, white feminism (Women CEOs aren't paid as much as men CEOs! Meanwhile, Native women are missing and murdered and no one cares.) I just viewed that chapter as a thought exercise, the book gets more interesting and intense as it goes along, like I do believe its that book that talks about Our Bodies, Ourselves, which is a book all about female health and bodies written by American women, and its a good book, but it also talks about Egyptian feminists writing their own version because white Western woman language isn't appropriate for them.

Quote:
I actually want to research so much of this. There was a line in the chapter about how eunuchs comprised a third gender, I had no idea about that. I think there's a reading on it coming up.
Gender fluidity and trans* issues are a beloved topic of mine, that book doesn't talk about it enough IMO. Lemme know if you want any internet resources about it!
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 08:34 PM   #7405
Murder.Of.Crows

Quote:
Gender fluidity and trans* issues are a beloved topic of mine, that book doesn't talk about it enough IMO. Lemme know if you want any internet resources about it!
Oh, oh me! I want to read internet resources!
Old 05-22-2012, 08:37 PM   #7406
Saya

Do you mind if I slip in humour blogs?
Old 05-22-2012, 08:43 PM   #7407
Murder.Of.Crows

Quote:
Do you mind if I slip in humour blogs?
Not at all, actually I would love that.
Old 05-22-2012, 09:12 PM   #7408
Saya

The basics: http://tranarchism.com/trans-basics/

I really like genderfork: http://genderfork.com/

I also really love Ivan Coyote: http://www.xtra.ca/public/Vancouver/...%20Coyote.aspx

And not an internet resource, but if you can find things to read by Judith Butler, specifically Undoing Gender, she's good and she's the one who got me thinking about gender fluidity.

Also I just found this today and it makes me happy: http://fyeahnon-binaryseahorse.tumblr.com/

Other handy blogs are http://fuckyeahgenderstudies.tumblr.com/ and http://projectqueer.tumblr.com/
Old 05-22-2012, 09:31 PM   #7409
Murder.Of.Crows

So much reading tonight. We'll, I'm going to get some cigarettes and a monster. Then probably read until my eyes are bleeding and i'm leaning out the bedroom window rattling my fist at all of those injustices.
Old 05-22-2012, 09:40 PM   #7410
Saya

That's my routine!
Old 05-22-2012, 10:16 PM   #7411
Versus

Judith Butler gives me a fucking headache.
Had me creepin' 'round corners, homie sleepin' in my vest.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Versus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 01:11 AM   #7412
Jaye Jang

Unhappy

I have the flu. I'm sick and tired of being tired and sick. Had to spend Goth Day moping around the house and feeling sorry for myself because I was too sick to go anywhere and too tired to do anything. It was also NMTD (National Medical Typist's Day) and I missed going to the annual National MT Day luncheon at work (read that free food), because I had to call in sick . Bummer.
Jaye Jang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 10:55 AM   #7413
honeythorn

I have turned into a one woman snot factory for no apparant reason
honeythorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 04:46 PM   #7414
Delkaetre

My knee still hasn't scabbed over from the fall yesterday. It's still weeping yellowish fluid, which means I can't wear any kind of fabric on my legs without it attempting to scab into the fabric. I tried wearing a bandage over it today, and that... ended up with the bandage half embedded in scabbing at the edges, damp from flesh at the middle. That was painful to remove.

I think the heat and humidity aren't helping either, but seriously. It's been more than 24 hours. Just dry up and scab, you fucker. I want the use of me knee back for this weekend.
The noblest sentiment I have encountered and the most passionate political statement to stir my heart both belong to a fictional character. Why do we have no politicians as pure in their intent and determinedly joyous in their outlook as Arkady Bogdanov of Red Mars?
Delkaetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 07:14 PM   #7415
Solumina

Fuck the sun, we were getting along so well and now I'm all neon pink and in lots of pain
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 12:39 AM   #7416
Jaye Jang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delkaetre View Post
My knee still hasn't scabbed over from the fall yesterday. It's still weeping yellowish fluid, which means I can't wear any kind of fabric on my legs without it attempting to scab into the fabric. I tried wearing a bandage over it today, and that... ended up with the bandage half embedded in scabbing at the edges, damp from flesh at the middle. That was painful to remove.

I think the heat and humidity aren't helping either, but seriously. It's been more than 24 hours. Just dry up and scab, you fucker. I want the use of me knee back for this weekend.
Have you tried using Telfa pads and paper tape? That way you could cover it without the bandage sticking.
Old 05-24-2012, 05:17 AM   #7417
MissCheyenne

Walked into a lamp post. All I seem to do lately is injure myself.

I am your slice of pie
MissCheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 05:51 AM   #7418
Versus

I have problems about myself.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Old 05-24-2012, 06:03 AM   #7419
Versus

Also, people are total pussies and can be defeated by the simplest of circumstances. /asshole

-Breathin, Tupac.
Old 05-24-2012, 01:53 PM   #7420
MissCheyenne

What's up Big V?

I am your slice of pie
Old 05-24-2012, 03:09 PM   #7421
Versus

Boners and airplanes.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Old 05-24-2012, 10:30 PM   #7422
Fruitbat

I was so right...ha. It's a rant trust me.

Versus - so glad I'm not a guy.

"Always be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle." - Plato

Help me, I'm holding on for dear life

Fruitbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 07:59 AM   #7423
MissCheyenne

It's 21 degrees and I think I might die. The heat is seriously making me feel sick.

I am your slice of pie
Old 05-25-2012, 08:44 AM   #7424
Jaye Jang

I'm thinking of moving to California, or Florida, or someplace warm for a change. It snowed again today. I am so done with winter.
Old 05-25-2012, 02:30 PM   #7425
Victoria Lovecraft

Location: Am I in the library? No? Perhaps the pantry? No. Damn.Hm... Check the laboratory. Yup, found me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaye Jang View Post
I'm thinking of moving to California, or Florida, or someplace warm for a change. It snowed again today. I am so done with winter.
Sweet Zombie Jesus. I'm from Wisconsin and even we don't get snow in May...often.....
I swear this is the only state where you can experience all four seasons in a week.
Victoria Lovecraft is offline   Reply With Quote