Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Politics

Politics "Under democracy, one party always devotes its chief energies to trying to prove that the other party is unfit to rule -and both commonly succeed, and are right." -H.L. Menken

Old 10-11-2005, 03:31 AM   #1
nonfatsuperjesus

Gimme Some

So, why aren't we (the USA, Congress, Gov't) doing anything about the FACT that there are between 50 and 100 years of oil left in the world? (Saudi Arabia is already pumping at peak capacity and more, so they are hastening the draining off their oil reserves.)

I'll tell you why, cause some of our most important Congressional leaders belong to a crazy religious sect!

These people believe in a scripture-based justification for anti-environmentalism. Remember back in 1981, when President Reagan's first secretary of the interior, James Watt, told the U.S. Congress that protecting natural resources was unimportant in light of the imminent return of Jesus Christ? "God gave us these things to use. After the last tree is felled, Christ will come back," Watt said in public testimony that helped get him fired.

Well, today things aren't any better, in fact, they are worse. Seems that there are certain Christian fundamentalists that feel that concern for the future of our planet is irrelevant, because it has no future. They believe we are now living in the End Times, when the son of God will return, the righteous will enter heaven, and sinners will be condemned to eternal hellfire. They also believe that environmental destruction is not only to be disregarded, but actually welcomed -- even hastened -- as a sign of the coming Apocalypse.

Trouble is that there are a bunch of Congressional lawmakers who hold these beliefs, beliefs that create a conflict of interest situation. According to Scherer's article: “The 231 legislators (all but five of them Republicans) who received an average 80 percent approval rating or higher from the leading religious-right organizations make up more than 40 percent of the U.S. Congress. (The only Democrat to score100 percent with the Christian Coalition was Sen. Zell Miller of Georgia, who earlier this year quoted from the Book of Amos on the Senate floor: "The days will come, sayeth the Lord God, that I will send a famine in the land. Not a famine of bread or of thirst for water, but of hearing the word of the Lord!") These politicians include some of the most powerful figures in the U.S. government, as well as key environmental decision makers: Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist (R-Tenn.), Senate Majority Whip Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.), Senate Republican Conference Chair Rick Santorum (R-Penn.), Senate Republican Policy Chair Jon Kyl (R-Ariz.), House Speaker Dennis Hastert (R-Ill.), House Majority Whip Roy Blunt (R-Mo.), (then) U.S. Attorney General John Ashcroft, and quite possibly President Bush. (Earlier this month, a cover story by Ron Suskind in The New York Times Magazine described how Bush's faith-based governance has led to, among other things, a disastrous "crusade" in the Middle East and has laid the groundwork for "a battle between modernists and fundamentalists, pragmatists and true believers, reason and religion.”).”

Do you under the implications of all this? It's that our Congressman believe in hastening the end of world and that it is their religious duty to do so! Do you want crazy people like this to run our government, to make our laws, to push for all our deaths?

Says Scherer: "People under the spell of such potent prophecies cannot be expected to worry about the environment. Why care about the earth when the droughts, floods, and pestilence brought by ecological collapse are signs of the Apocalypse foretold in the Bible? Why care about global climate change when you and yours will be rescued in the Rapture? And why care about converting from oil to solar when the same God who performed the miracle of the loaves and fishes can whip up a few billion barrels of light crude with a Word?" These people don't believe in taking care of the Earth's resources because they think that Jesus will suddenly create a miracle and provide people with endless abundance as needed!

This sect of the Christian-Right are called Reconstructionists or Domionists. They believe in political activism because Christ will only make his Second Coming when the world has prepared a place for Him, and that the first step in readying His arrival is to Christianize America. At everyone else in the world's expense! "Christian politics has as its primary intent the conquest of the land -- of men, families, institutions, bureaucracies, courts, and governments for the Kingdom of Christ," writes reconstructionist George Grant. Christian dominion will be achieved by ending the separation of church and state, replacing U.S. democracy with a theocracy ruled by Old Testament law, and cutting all government social programs, instead turning that work over to Christian churches. Reconstructionists also would abolish government regulatory agencies, such as the U.S. EPA, because they are a distraction from their goal of Christianizing America, and subsequently, the rest of the world. "World conquest. That's what Christ has commissioned us to accomplish," says Grant. "We must win the world with the power of the Gospel. And we must never settle for anything less." Only when that conquest is complete can the Lord return.

Two of the most influential of these Far Out Christians in Congress are: House Majority Leader Tom DeLay (R-Texas) and Senate Environment and Public Works Committee Chair James Inhofe (R-Okla.). Both of them have repeatedly stated in interviews that they want to REMAKE America into a Christian only nation. Neither DeLay nor Inhofe include environmental protection in "the Lord's work." Both have ranted against the EPA, calling it "the Gestapo."

DeLay has fought to gut the Clean Air and Endangered Species acts. In 2003, Inhofe invited a stacked-deck of fossil fuel-funded climate-change skeptics to testify at a Senate hearing that climaxed with him calling global warming "the greatest hoax ever perpetrated on the American people." DeLay is also a self-declared member of the Christian Zionists, an End-Time faction numbering 20 million Americans. Christian Zionists believe that the 1948 creation of the state of Israel marked the first event in what author Hal Lindsey calls the "countdown to Armageddon" and they are committed to making that doomsday clock tick faster, speeding Christ's return. In 2002, DeLay visited pastor John Hagee's Cornerstone Church. Hagee preached a fiery message as simple as it was horrifying:

"The war between America and Iraq is the gateway to the Apocalypse!" he said, urging his followers to support the war, perhaps in order to bring about the Second Coming. After Hagee finished, DeLay rose to second the motion. "Ladies and gentlemen," he said, "what has been spoken here tonight is the truth from God." So, is this why the USA is in Iraq? To hasten the End of the World? To force an Apocalypse to happen? Is this not insanity or what? Do you want congressman representing the whole USA that operates with this mental state?

About Inhofe, Scherer says: "James Inhofe might be an environmentalist's worst nightmare. The Oklahoma senator makes major policy decisions based on heavy corporate and theological influences, flawed science, and probably an apocalyptic worldview -- and he chairs the Senate Environment and Public Works Committee. That committee's links to corporate funders are both easier to trace and more infamous than its ties to religious fundamentalism, and it's true that the influence of money can scarcely be overstated. From 1999 to 2004, Inhofe received more than $588,000 from the fossil-fuel industry, electric utilities, mining, and other natural-resource interests, according to the Center for Responsive Politics. Eight of the nine other Republican members of Inhofe's committee received an average of $408,000 per senator from the energy and natural resource sector over the same period. By contrast, the eight committee Democrats and one Independent came away with an average of just $132,000 per senator from that same sector since 1999."

Ahh! So, maybe these "leaders" are using Religion as a front to get paid from lobbyists! Operating under two masters, how very "Christ"- like!
How convenient must it be to be able to say that anyone who disagrees with them are against the will of God. It's deeply troubling that 231 US legislators have aligned themselves with beliefs that are antithetical to environmentalism. Says Scherer: "For starters, any environmental science that contradicts the End-Timer's interpretation of Holy Writ is automatically suspect. This explains the disregard for environmental science so prevalent among Christian fundamentalist lawmakers: the denial of global warming, of the damaged ozone layer, and of the poisoning caused by industrial arsenic and mercury. More important, End-Time beliefs make such problems inconsequential. Faith in Christ's impending return causes End-Timers to be interested only in short-term political-theological outcomes, not long-term solutions. Unfortunately, nearly every environmental issue, from the conservation of endangered species to the curbing of climate change, requires belief in and commitment to an enduring earth. And yet, no amount of scientific evidence will likely shake fundamentalists of their End-Time faith or bring them over to the cause of saving the environment."

Remember, it was a bunch of devout believers, of strong faith, full of righteousness, that flew the hi-jacked planes on 9/11 and killed thousands of people in NYC, Pennsylvania, and Washington that day in the name of religion.
What are our illustrious "leaders" willing to do in the name of their beliefs? Isn't it dangerous that for 231 US legislators the government policies that they support are based on the faith that the end of the world must be hastened? I think it is time that we take a really strong look at who is representing us in Congress. Or misrepresenting us. It's time for MODERATE leaders, who can deal with issues based on reality, not far out delusions.

Isn't it time we take our fate out of the hands of the mentally ill?

Last edited by MrMaelstrom; 10-11-2005 at 12:47 PM.
nonfatsuperjesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 12:52 PM   #2
MrMaelstrom

Dude, even with the paragraph spacings I put in it.... it's still too damn long...

Jesus.... Lord.... I had a bitch of a day at work. It's now 8:30 in my little corner of the world and I'm quite tired, so Jesus, could you edit some of it? Summarize? Be a wee bit more concise?

I'm not one to shy away from a long rant... but at least throw a couple of jokes in there.

Thank you , Jesus.
Old 10-11-2005, 01:16 PM   #3
edible_eye

yay for maelstrom! now that you've put paragraph breaks in that eye-melting post, i'll read it.

later.
Old 10-12-2005, 04:31 AM   #4
edible_eye

ok. is that writing yours, nonfat or did you copy and paste it from somewhere else?
Old 10-12-2005, 08:15 AM   #5
Empty_Purple_Stars

The above rant he posted was taken from AirAmerica Radio

information comes from "The Godly Must Be Crazy" by Glenn Scherer,

www.grist.org

http://shows.airamericaradio.com/rev...BGN,B0000001JL
Empty_Purple_Stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 08:32 AM   #6
edible_eye

thanx, e_p_s. i just want to know who i'm responding to, if i wanted to respond.

nonfatsuperjesus - please cite your sources when you copy and paste. it's uncool to post something as though it were your own, or at least without giving credit where credit is due.
Old 10-12-2005, 08:36 AM   #7
nonfatsuperjesus

sorry only 10,000 characters allowed.... had to cut some anyway. i actually got it from AMP Magazine....
Old 10-12-2005, 10:06 AM   #8
nonfatsuperjesus

http://www.ampmagazine.com/amp.html
Old 10-12-2005, 10:10 AM   #9
MrMaelstrom

Jesus, you're also missing an R in your signature, in the word straight.
Old 10-12-2005, 10:12 AM   #10
nonfatsuperjesus

I can't get anything right today!!!
Old 10-12-2005, 10:13 AM   #11
Empty_Purple_Stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMaelstrom
Jesus, you're also missing an R in your signature, in the word straight.
Bah @ You for never getting back on MSN or Yahoo !

Toad Licker!!
Empty_Purple_Stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 11:44 AM   #12
Petite-Marionnette

I've heard some stuff about that ^^ before.....scary stuff eh?

I guess all we can hope for is a drastic change in American government and soon...Being from England (Though living in Canada for a while) It's also kind of disturbing to know that the rest of the world's fate rests basically on the actions of America being that they are a colossal superpower....

What a strange time in which we live.
Petite-Marionnette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 02:00 PM   #13
Nardol

Referring to the original topic. They aren't crazy, they're paid off. Everyone in government is. They are getting paid to take your taxes and put them into other peoples pocket in exchange for bribes.
Nardol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 10:18 AM   #14
OdinicRite

There is actually more than just 50 to 100 years of oil left in this world. Oil is constantly replenishing. There are some that believe that the core of the Earth is in fact oil enstead of a firey magna. There are many alternatives to using oil for fuel, they are out there, they just are not mainstream. Run a google search on alternative fuels. Research what is out there. Chances are, we are not going to run out of oil, but in case we do, I already have an alternative fuel motor built and am about to test it.

-Axl
OdinicRite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 06:09 PM   #15
MrMaelstrom

And the Moon is made of cheese, didn't you know? As soon as we get it mined, calcium deficiency will be a thing of the past! No, really!
Old 11-05-2005, 11:26 AM   #16
MrMaelstrom

Be sure to get the 1st hummer, 'cause the 2nd looks like shit. I'd get a Studebaker or a Corvette Stingray myself. But I wouldn't mind a Sherman tank either (for those pesky traffic jams) .
Old 11-05-2005, 11:53 AM   #17
OdinicRite

It is a quite ridiculous theory, I doubt that these people who have thought this up have really looked at all sides of their statements, I was just mearly stating that that is one of the theories that I have heard. But I do believe that we have not hit the main petrolium supply as of yet, we have just hit pockets that are close to the surface of the earth. But anyway, personally I'd go for a 1967 GTO Judge with the 389 Tri-power with a 5-speed slapshift tranny out of the 1965 GTO. But until that point(and after) I will stick to two wheels.
OdinicRite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 12:02 PM   #18
MrMaelstrom

I rule, for I have a Santa Cruz Skateboard made especially for half-pipes in '91 (it's huge) and it runs on.... left-foot power (I'm "goofy").

I keep it at the back of the jeep, actually.
Old 11-05-2005, 12:40 PM   #19
edible_eye

that's funny cuz maelstrom's problem ISN'T that he CAN'T get blowjobs, it's that he doesn't have enough time to get to all the women who want to GIVE him blowjobs.

yeah... sucks to be him... suuuure....
Old 11-05-2005, 03:16 PM   #20
MrMaelstrom

I had a great week, yes, thank you very much...
Old 11-05-2005, 03:22 PM   #21
MrMaelstrom

Ok folks, go back and read ANY of E_E's posts while imagining that's his Mel Gibson avatar talking. It's great

... but then again, it's saturday night, I'm about to go out, I stopped having lunch this evening at 7pm when I proceeded to visit another family member about to start dinner... so it's about ii pm now, I wanna go out, but my entrails are anchoring me to the chair, and I'm already 2 joints ahead of the rest of you...so it might not be thaaaaat funny anyway.....

but it is to me so....
Old 11-05-2005, 05:15 PM   #22
MrMaelstrom

Isn't it? I can't take it seriously after awhile.
Old 11-05-2005, 05:26 PM   #23
edible_eye

heh. so what's you're saying is - thanx to my passion for braveheart, i've created a scenario within which i've become a joke?

awesome.
Old 11-05-2005, 05:33 PM   #24
MrMaelstrom

Nope, you created a scenario in which HE becomes a joke!!!!
Old 11-05-2005, 05:56 PM   #25
edible_eye

blasphemy... that hurt my soul. the braveheart part, not the mel gibson part... and yes, they're two separate entities.