Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Politics

Politics "Under democracy, one party always devotes its chief energies to trying to prove that the other party is unfit to rule -and both commonly succeed, and are right." -H.L. Menken

Old 12-01-2005, 08:52 PM   #1
Dr. Faust

question on Hemp

Im not into drugs. I dont care if you are. I dont smoke weed and I feel I need to say that before I ask:

In the old days rope and paper was made out of Hemp. Oil to light homes and city streets before electricity was made from either whale oil or hemp. Therfore why cant we make gasoline out of hemp? Not only would it ease our dependence of foreign oil but it would also revitalize the farming industry in Ameriva whith a ready made, multui-purpose, cash crop!
Dr. Faust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 07:27 PM   #2
Metatron

Hahaha...because first you'd have to legalize it, and I don't think anyone wants to go through the shitty process of legalizing weed, establishing laws, etc. Not only that, but then you would have to change the way cars react to fuel because they're used to burning the oil based gasoline. AND, you'd have to deal with protests, potheads, violence, and so much more. By the way, you're introduction was unnecessary.
Old 12-03-2005, 08:33 PM   #3
Demonista_Ravenesque

I think hemp is legal, because it's not technically a drug. It doesn't contain THC (tetra hydra cananabol), The chemical that makes you high.

Hier sind doch irgendwo kinder versteckt
Demonista_Ravenesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 08:53 PM   #4
Metatron

Right. Sorry, I was thinking about marijuana. You'd still have through a large process with regulations, manufacturing, etc.
Old 12-03-2005, 08:58 PM   #5
Demonista_Ravenesque

I'd agree with what metatron has to say.

Hier sind doch irgendwo kinder versteckt
Demonista_Ravenesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 07:01 PM   #6
CptSternn

Your looking at a totally american problem there. Throughout Europe marijuana is legal in small amounts. Even in the UK and Ireland under 2 ounces is just punishble by a fine, and to date I haven't found one cop that enforces it. Also note in Ireland mushrooms are legal in amounts under 2 ounces.

So when you ask about hemp, your basically asking about the us manufacturing hemp, as there are dozens of companies across europe that manufacture hemp based products, legally.

-S
CptSternn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 10:38 AM   #7
DarkWings666

i've got soem hemp lip balm from the body shop. call me old fashioned, but there stuff does tend to be legal...........
DarkWings666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 01:12 PM   #8
Metatron

Yeah, so do I...and hemp clothing, and I also drink hempseed oil once a week. That's not the point. The point is, you would have to change laws and regulations, change cars so they could use it, and so on and so forth. It's great used as a fuel, but what about all of the oil companies? D
Old 12-05-2005, 09:21 PM   #9
Dr. Faust

The age of the great innovators is over.The oil companies would rather protect their profits than allow a car that runs on hemp oil to be marketed. Heny Ford would roll over in his grave! IMHO capitalism and free enterprise are not one and the same, despite what people think. So if we are to get out of this mess it will not be the oil companies or corporations that save us. It will be that lone innovator that will have to fight the system. Much like Telsa, I suppose.
Old 12-06-2005, 12:45 AM   #10
Blushing Heliophobe

Yeah, I believe it is Ford that bought out a patent for a car engine that can run off of distilled water. The auto industry owns patents for engines that can run off of many alternative fuel sources. I'm guessing, though I'm not an economist, that it'd be pretty much a shockwave to our economy to release these kinds of things too soon. That, or too much of a shockwave to the corporation's pockets. So, hemp is not alone in the 'underused resource' category...
Blushing Heliophobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 05:35 PM   #11
ExistentialDisorder

There are several different kinds of fuels that can be used alternatively in vehicles without a whole lot of alterations made to the engines. Everything from corn to vegetable oil, to cow dung and human urine. Coming up with an alternative fuel source isn't the problem. It's trying to get it marketed that causes road blocks. The oil companies and the car manufacturers would stomp out any competition in a hurry, by whatever means they saw fit. They do all the time.

Hemp is an incredible natural resource that can be used for just about any purpose necessary. From food and clothing to housing. The fibers in hemp are something like 100 times stronger than wood fibers, making it an excellent resource for building furniture and houses or other structures. Plus it grows much faster than trees and can be harvested in a fraction of the time. But look at all the industries it would put out of business, then ask yourself again why it isn't being utilized to even a percentage of its potential.

"What if everything around you
Isn't quite as it seems?
What if all the world you think you know
Is an elaborate dream?
And if you look at your reflection
Is it all you wanted to be?
What if you could look right through the cracks?
Would you find yourself [or]
Find yourself afraid to see?..." -NIN
ExistentialDisorder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 02:44 PM   #12
Metatron

Except it's illegal to grow in the United States. There goes that plan...
Old 12-12-2005, 02:55 PM   #13

Actually some ethanol is made from hemp,which is used in gasoline. But the reason why hemp hasn't been used in years,until this recent decade,was Harry J. Anslinger who was the man who told people that Marijuana is worse than herion and that it will make you kill people,he also owned a textile company and Hemp threated that,therefore making a huge set back in technology advancements.
16670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 06:07 AM   #14
soggypicklemuncher

My mom used to buy a cereal that had hemp seeds in it. They have some omega fatty acids or something that are difficult for vegetarians to get. I've heard that hemp is much less damaging to soil than cotton. I think in the U.S. most hemp products are legal; as long as a product doesn't contain THC then it's okay to sell. But as far as growing hemp for manufacturing, I wish the U.S. government would let up and stop being so stubborn with no good reason. The varieties of hemp grown for fiber and other industrial puposes aren't very potent as a drug, and it's stupid for such a benign substance to be illegal when the government is raking in tax revenue from alcohol and tobacco.

Sometimes, I think I should just go live in the Netherlands and farm hemp.

You only see what you want to believe
When you creep from the back
I got tricks up my sleeve
24/7 the devil's best friend
It makes no difference
It's all the same in the end

-"Same in the End" by Sublime
soggypicklemuncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 12:01 PM   #15
Metatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16670
Actually some ethanol is made from hemp,which is used in gasoline. But the reason why hemp hasn't been used in years,until this recent decade,was Harry J. Anslinger who was the man who told people that Marijuana is worse than herion and that it will make you kill people,he also owned a textile company and Hemp threated that,therefore making a huge set back in technology advancements.
Actually, no ethanol in the United States is made from hemp. Ethanol is made from corn, grain sorghum, wheat, barley, or potatoes. Brazil, the largest ethanol producer in the world, uses sugarcane. If you can't grow hemp in the US, then you can't make ethanol fuel out of it.
Old 12-13-2005, 12:03 PM   #16
Metatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by soggypicklemuncher
My mom used to buy a cereal that had hemp seeds in it. They have some omega fatty acids or something that are difficult for vegetarians to get. I've heard that hemp is much less damaging to soil than cotton. I think in the U.S. most hemp products are legal; as long as a product doesn't contain THC then it's okay to sell. But as far as growing hemp for manufacturing, I wish the U.S. government would let up and stop being so stubborn with no good reason. The varieties of hemp grown for fiber and other industrial puposes aren't very potent as a drug, and it's stupid for such a benign substance to be illegal when the government is raking in tax revenue from alcohol and tobacco.

Sometimes, I think I should just go live in the Netherlands and farm hemp.
Hemp products are imported, and every single one of them is legal to sell. Most hemp products are made out of, not marijuana, but another member of that family.
Old 12-13-2005, 12:17 PM   #17
MrMaelstrom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metatron
It's great used as a fuel, but what about all of the oil companies? D

You're kidding right? 'You worried about OIL COMPANIES???
Why not worry as well for the paper/lumber companies and tobacco companies as well?

I mean, they are like, so nice to us, that coming up with a cheaper, cleaner alternative to paper is like, really, really mean....

These are the people that made marijuana illegal, and Hemp dismissed as a viable industrial/farming alternative.
Old 12-13-2005, 12:18 PM   #18
MrMaelstrom

I'm smoking the by-product right now, btw.

well spoken Demonista, but its cannabinol
Old 12-14-2005, 06:50 AM   #19
Dr. Faust

Hemp

I have heard that even though industrial hemp is lower in THC it looks exactly like hemp high in THC and for that reason drug agents would not be able to tell it apart and they worry producers would hide the high THC in plots with low THC.
Old 12-14-2005, 02:01 PM   #20
soggypicklemuncher

Actually I think different varieties of cannabis have differing physical characteristics. I can't remember the difference between sativa and indica but I know that plants with high THC yield generally look different from premium fiber producing plants.

*puff puff pass*

You only see what you want to believe
When you creep from the back
I got tricks up my sleeve
24/7 the devil's best friend
It makes no difference
It's all the same in the end

-"Same in the End" by Sublime
soggypicklemuncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 05:56 PM   #21
Metatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMaelstrom
You're kidding right? 'You worried about OIL COMPANIES???
Why not worry as well for the paper/lumber companies and tobacco companies as well?

I mean, they are like, so nice to us, that coming up with a cheaper, cleaner alternative to paper is like, really, really mean....

These are the people that made marijuana illegal, and Hemp dismissed as a viable industrial/farming alternative.
I'm not worried about the oil companies, I'm just worried about the battle between the oil companies and the hemp-fuel producing companies. It won't be very pretty...