Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Politics

Politics "Under democracy, one party always devotes its chief energies to trying to prove that the other party is unfit to rule -and both commonly succeed, and are right." -H.L. Menken

Old 01-09-2006, 11:39 PM   #1
CptSternn

Cool Create an e-annoyance, go to jail

Annoying someone via the Internet is now a federal crime.

It's no joke. Last Thursday, President Bush signed into law a prohibition on posting annoying Web messages or sending annoying e-mail messages without disclosing your true identity.

In other words, it's OK to flame someone on a mailing list or in a blog as long as you do it under your real name. Thank Congress for small favors, I guess.

This ridiculous prohibition, which would likely imperil much of Usenet, is buried in the so-called Violence Against Women and Department of Justice Reauthorization Act. Criminal penalties include stiff fines and two years in prison.

*snip*

Read the rest yerselves. Glad I don't live in the states anymore. It also notes that the owners of systems can be held liable (ie. the forum owner). Great new law there. Gotta love gw.

http://news.com.com/Create+an+e-anno...2491&subj=news

I'm guessing this will cut down on flame wars here significantly, well - for those based in the states at least.
CptSternn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 11:48 PM   #2
Empty_Purple_Stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptSternn
Annoying someone via the Internet is now a federal crime.

It's no joke. Last Thursday, President Bush signed into law a prohibition on posting annoying Web messages or sending annoying e-mail messages without disclosing your true identity.

In other words, it's OK to flame someone on a mailing list or in a blog as long as you do it under your real name. Thank Congress for small favors, I guess.

This ridiculous prohibition, which would likely imperil much of Usenet, is buried in the so-called Violence Against Women and Department of Justice Reauthorization Act. Criminal penalties include stiff fines and two years in prison.

*snip*

Read the rest yerselves. Glad I don't live in the states anymore. It also notes that the owners of systems can be held liable (ie. the forum owner). Great new law there. Gotta love gw.

http://news.com.com/Create+an+e-anno...2491&subj=news

I'm guessing this will cut down on flame wars here significantly, well - for those based in the states at least.

Interesting to see you back but Phayte beat you to it, and I posted the article from the link he provided.

The thread title is Is This a Joke?

Nice to see you though.

My response is in there.

Let the Games begin..
Empty_Purple_Stars is offline   Reply With Quote