Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > TV, Movies, & Games

TV, Movies, & Games Talk about your favorite TV shows, movies, games, and other media here. Or don't. We don't want to tell you what to do or anything.

Old 03-16-2012, 03:58 PM   #1
AshleyO

Mass Effect series

I haven't played Mass Effect 1. But going from ME2, I can only say that the Salarians are mother fuckers in regards to the Krogans and it was wrong about what they did with the genophage. And where the bloody hell was the council in the Salarian's time of need?

The whole situation was total bullshit.

"God always picks the strangest things to get angry about. Get an abortion or gay married and he'll aim a tornado right at you.

Rip off a million poor people and Wall street has no problems. " -Rebecca B
AshleyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 04:58 PM   #2
Versus

The Krogan's genophage was described in Mass Effect 1. Saren tries to create a cure sothat he can use it as leverage to recruit a Krogan army along with the Geth. Wrex was one of my favorite characters, but he has to die if you don't have enough Renage or Paragon to talk him down enough to trust you about destroying the cure. It really pissed me off because that cunt Ashley shoots him when he starts to buck up on you.

But yeah. Play ME1.

Also, how are you going to get pissed at the Salarians, but not the Quarians?
Had me creepin' 'round corners, homie sleepin' in my vest.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Versus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 06:12 PM   #3
AshleyO

I'm not sure about the Quarians yet. I haven't been able to pay attention to them so much yet. I'll have to look into it.

But what the Salarians did was just manipulative and wrong.

"God always picks the strangest things to get angry about. Get an abortion or gay married and he'll aim a tornado right at you.

Old 03-16-2012, 06:14 PM   #4
AshleyO

The Quarians were playing God. They created a new species and in fear of its rising power, had fallen to the Geth's abilities. It seems like they asked for it, really.

Old 03-16-2012, 06:35 PM   #5
Versus

Not really. It wasn't their intention to create sentient life. I made that remark because once they realized that they had, they tried to pull the plug.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Old 03-16-2012, 06:52 PM   #6
AshleyO

It was an accident. However it still happened. Once that happened, the rules changed.

Imagine if God were real and the flood in the bible was true. If you could kill God, would you? Who would he be to take actions against you if it were you that actually had something to lose by being destroyed?

The Geth may have been an accident. But it's not for them to be destroyed because they gained sentience. What if they weren't machines but bio-engineered creatures originally designed to be subservient?

Old 03-16-2012, 07:19 PM   #7
Versus

That's what I was saying, though. I said it was an accident because you said they were trying to play God. Unless you meant by killing of a race?

Either way. You could compare that to the genophage because AFTER realizing what they had done, they still tried to wipe them out.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Old 03-16-2012, 09:31 PM   #8
AshleyO

They were bloody scumbags, really.

I have to say, I think there's a lot to actually think about with this game and with Bioware games in particular.

It's interesting what conclusions you draw from these stories once you take out the sci-fi and put a human face on it.

In that case, I support the Geth for having the courage to war against their creators because the creators were trying to kill them.

Old 03-16-2012, 10:09 PM   #9
Versus

I don't want to spoil it for you, but the Geth actually didn't war with their creators after they took their home world. The Geth that the rest of the Galaxy fought in ME1 and the ones they refer to in ME2 were a splinter group of the Geth that worship the Reapers. Think of them as religious extremist. The rest of the Galaxy doesn't know this until you meet Legion in ME2.

You're right though. I really like that aspect about Mass Effect. It's a lot like Star Trek in that it's an amazing social commentary. You should try to play KOTOR 2. It's really old and hard to play because it's to archaic, but I thought it had amazing dialogue. It's more of a personal introspection, though.

Or if you like MMOs, play The Old Republic with Saya and I. >.>

-Breathin, Tupac.
Old 11-04-2012, 05:56 PM   #10
Saya

I got ME1 and so far, I'd agree the quarians were wrong but Tali says that they didn't not think that all geth were sentient when they tried to pull the plug, they thought it was only a few of them. I wouldn't say its quite the same as at the time the reaction was "oh shit they're starting to get sentient, shut it down and we'll see where we went wrong" instead of "oh shit they're fully sentient." Tali is pretty defensive of it though.

So far I kinda hate Kaiden. I accidentally triggered the romance and I can't seem to get it to stop without him being a pissy little asshole saying I've given him mixed signals I started off with a very low opinion of Ashley due to her xenophobia but between the two I think I might actually like her more.

But I won't let her near Wrex D:
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 04:52 PM   #11
Versus

It's nice to know that you'd rather romance a racist marine then a Kaiden. Pfft.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Old 11-05-2012, 05:32 PM   #12
Renatus

Location: Back in Wisconsin(thinking about invading the south)
Tali>Ashley

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Renatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:35 PM   #13
Versus

I feel like a pedo with Tali.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Old 11-06-2012, 06:48 AM   #14
Renatus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versus View Post
I feel like a pedo with Tali.
Why?
I quite like the Quarian suits, he'll wouldn't mind having one myself and wearing it all the time.
Anyone read Mass Effect: Ascension?

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Old 11-06-2012, 07:53 AM   #15
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versus View Post
It's nice to know that you'd rather romance a racist marine then a Kaiden. Pfft.
I'm not romancing her, she's straight anyway.

I'd rather romance a giant armored turkey than Kaidan though XD
Old 11-06-2012, 11:48 AM   #16
Versus

lol. Saya is a furry.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Old 11-06-2012, 06:01 PM   #17
Saya

Garrus has no fur!
Old 11-06-2012, 06:16 PM   #18
Renatus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya View Post
Garrus has no fur!
Furry merely means into animals, they don't have to be furry animals...In my time on second life I have seen fish and avian furries.

Old 11-06-2012, 06:19 PM   #19
Saya

Well then, Garrus isn't really an animal. Like I wouldn't know how turians would be classified into Kingdoms. They don't even have the same proteins as us.