Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Whining

Whining This forum is for general whining. Please post all suicide threats, complaints about significant others, and statements about how unfair school is to this board.

Old 12-09-2006, 09:49 PM   #26
Pyre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godslayer Jillian
Well, isn't that just jiffy!
Now gay people do go to Heaven, but I don't. XD
That is okay, I am taking you to Hell with me and keeping you in my pocket.
You can be my wocket d(-^)

"Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you" The Bible (Matthew 7:12)
Pyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 09:49 PM   #27
An Eccentric Cellist

The Bible says very few things about being gay, it actually reprimands straight couples somewhere around 362 times, while gay couples only about eight.
Also there is no word for 'homosexual' or specifically for 'virgin' in Hebrew. On 'virgin' the same word meant 'young woman'.
An Eccentric Cellist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 09:53 PM   #28
Jayden

Quote:
Not at all. I catually talked about that yesterday.
It is mentioned in the New Testament, but not by Jesus.

Jillian, can I get the verse plz? I'd like to research into that further. Thanks.
Jayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 09:53 PM   #29
Pyre

I have a question pertaining to a story in the Bible about the spilling of the seed:

Adultery is one of Ten Commandments, correct?

Then why was it willed by God that a man have sex with his sister-in-law in order for her to bear children? Regardless the reasoning behind it, that's still adultery, as this woman is having sex with a man she is not married to.

The religion becomes rather contradictory.

"Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you" The Bible (Matthew 7:12)
Old 12-09-2006, 09:56 PM   #30
Pyre

What the Bible says about homosexuality:
http://www.contenderministries.org/a...osexuality.php

Old 12-09-2006, 10:01 PM   #31
Godslayer Jillian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayden
Jillian, can I get the verse plz? I'd like to research into that further. Thanks.
1 Corinthians 6:9-11

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 10:03 PM   #32
Jayden

Yeah, that's pretty straight forward. Not something that I believe myself, but it's christianity none the less.
Old 12-09-2006, 10:09 PM   #33
An Eccentric Cellist

Yes, most religions are contradictory, but more often than not everything else is too.
An Eccentric Cellist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 10:12 PM   #34
Jayden

Such is the world. Even building your own beliefs can be contradictory, but at least you hold the responsibility. At the end of the day, it's just about doing what you think is right and being proud of it.
Old 12-10-2006, 12:05 PM   #35
GoGoGadgetBooty

Location: I am currently located in North Carolina, but I hope to move further south for or after college.
I wasn't serious, it was a cheesy joke. Maybe I should save that one for when I'm talking in person... but I thought it was funny.
GoGoGadgetBooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 12:52 PM   #36
Elliot

I take the Christian Bible with a grain of salt. Seeing as it was written in Hebrew, then translated into Greek, then translated into Latin, then translated into English.

This means that the original meanings could have easily been slightly altered.
Elliot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 08:28 PM   #37
LostAndCrazy

I find it hard to comment on books that were written by man. Bible, Koran et. al. Religion is the most successful form of mind control ever.
LostAndCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 08:41 PM   #38
Blindness is Black

"Adam and Eve were the Big Bang...no pun intended" -A history teacher
Blindness is Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 01:26 PM   #39
Pyre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliot
I take the Christian Bible with a grain of salt. Seeing as it was written in Hebrew, then translated into Greek, then translated into Latin, then translated into English.

This means that the original meanings could have easily been slightly altered.
This has been proven already.

In the story of Moses, the Bible states that Moses parts the Red Sea.

After retranslation, it turns out that it was supposed to be the Reed Sea, instead. The Reed Sea is also much smaller than the Red Sea, and makes more sense.

Old 12-12-2006, 05:31 AM   #40
Cicero

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeckySlater
... and the monk ran upstairs from his re-translation of the Bible, tears streaming down his face...

"Celebrate. It said 'celebrate'."
That actually made me laugh out loud, even though I've heard it before, haha.

I was raised Christian yet taught never to take the bible literally, and just to concentrate on the lessons of kindness and forgiveness. It's when the messages are skewed - which they have been many thousands of times with the bible - that they make religion look like a complete joke. It's because of this that I no longer call myself a Christian or associate myself with any religion.

Humans are flawed, and thus anything they create will be equally flawed. Religion included.

My Etsy store: www.Cicero1334.etsy.com

[And check out 1334 while you're at it: www.myspace.com/club1334 ]
Cicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 01:55 PM   #41
Pyre

It's not only terrible that the Holy Text of the biggest religion ever is incorrect and mistranslated, but the fact that most Christians don't even follow their religion to the text and interpret their religion as they wish. They will twist things around to customize it to their tastes. What is the point of it, then? The Bible is so obsolete to so many. This is why Christianity is almost terrifying, because there's no telling what some people have interpreted, and how far it will go.

Old 12-13-2006, 04:23 AM   #42
Feeble Minded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicero

Humans are flawed, and thus anything they create will be equally flawed. Religion included.
Exactly that. All religions have to have a start. Thus they are created by someone. When a religion is started it is considered a cult, whether it is good or bad. That's what the Romans thought of Christianity before Constantine made it the official religion of Rome. The concept of a single god and Jesus being the son of that god even scared the Romans.

As for me, I believe nothing just is.
Feeble Minded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 04:32 AM   #43
Tumor

I still don't get why the Romans though that the idea of a single god was scary. It wasn't a new concept. Some of the ancient Egyptians believed in the concept of a single god centuries before the Roman Empire rose to power.

Of course, I suppose, mixing monotheism with the fable of Cybele and Attis produced a rather frightening mix for the Romans.
Tumor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 04:59 PM   #44
Feeble Minded

I probably could have worded that better. The Romans were scared of having a religion with only one god. Especially as their nations religion.
Feeble Minded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 04:47 PM   #45
asta_tintora

Location: To the south of one thing, to the east of that one, and slightly to the right.
"Some of the ancient Egyptians believed in the concept of a single god centuries before the Roman Empire rose to power."

Yep, I love the artwork from that time period in Egypt! Akhenaten worshipped Aten and moved the whole capitol to another city. I like the art from that period because the bodies are elongated and oddly, more feminine. After that, you get a revival of the old style and a slightly more volutous look to the figures they carve.

...But anyway, yeah. I need to read the whole Bible some time. A lot of people have told me it's a good read and it's always good to look at different cultures.
asta_tintora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 04:52 PM   #46
MollyMac

It was just the one pharoah, however. After Akhenaten/Akhenaton, Egypt reverted back to polytheism under Tutankhaten/Tutankhamun.
MollyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 06:14 PM   #47
Tumor

Well, I did say some of the ancient Engyptians. For the most part, this mono-theistic cult was underground to hide from persecution. But it was still there.

It's even been implied the Moses was a member, if not a High Priest, of this cult. Guess which "one god" he was talking to when he saw a burning bush?
Tumor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 06:32 PM   #48
Godslayer Jillian

You can see hints of Polytheism in early Hebrew religion, or more specifically, Henotheism.
Moses didn't talk about the God. He talked about his people's God.
He never said anything about the Egyptian's gods' non-existance. As far as he might have gone was "My God is better than all your gods."

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 06:40 PM   #49
MollyMac

Reminds me of this mock "Chick Tract" called "The Other People", referrin gto those whom Adam and Eve found after leaving Yahweh's Eden. It's simplistic, but entertaining.
MollyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 07:42 PM   #50
Mir

Quote:
You can see hints of Polytheism in early Hebrew religion, or more specifically, Henotheism.
True, and I wanted to post the following which I find relevant.

"It is not clear why the change from polytheism to monotheism should be assumed to be a self-evidently progressive improvement. But it widely is - an assumption that provoked Ibn Warraq (author
of Why I Am Not a Muslim) wittily to conjecture that monotheism is in its turn doomed to subtract one more god and become atheism." R. Dawkins.

I am fervently praying to my God, the small wooden chair I rest my feet upon, that this happens in my lifetime.
Mir is offline   Reply With Quote