Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Music

Music Finally, an entire forum devoted to talking about Doktor Avalanche, the drum machine for the Sisters of Mercy. You can talk about other bands, or other members of that band, too, if you want to be UNCOOL.

Old 03-14-2010, 07:47 PM   #1
Alan

Political electronic bands and such?

So, with my friends I'm always the driver which means they have to tolerate my iPod selection which is overwhelmingly jazz and political music. My best friends like pretty much my same music. Others like that they don't hear this music elsewhere but they demanded me to put in some 70's rock in there.

But I've never had any electronica music or anything even close to it. Clostest thing I've had to that is Cruxshadows. My new pretty girl is all into electronica, so I compromised in including some into my iPod, but I'll try to make them be political in nature. Any of you know, or could help me find, some electronic bands that claim to express politics in their music? I know they exist, but I forget which bands and DJs I've seen that do so. A remix of the Internationale would be fucking awesome.
real classy
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 09:18 AM   #2
PortraitOfSanity

KMFDM is the obvious one, if you wanna call industrial electronic. Most of the European trance DJs are politically active, though it doesn't really come across in the music, check out Armin Van Buren and see ic you like it.

I don't hate you. Saying I hate you would be like saying I hate a dog with no legs trying to cross a busy freeway.
-Mr. Filth
PortraitOfSanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 02:25 PM   #3
Alan

Yeah, I'll also include groups that are more on our side, per se, as a middle ground. For instance, last London After Midnight's album is more electronic and it's supposed to be more political. I say 'supposed' because I love those guys, but honestly the whole 'intended politics' of the songs like Feeling Fascist are clearly just a gimmick.
I'll check Van Buren too. There's probably no one in Juarez that doesn't like him anyway.
real classy
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 02:51 PM   #4
Malice In Wonderland

Atari Teenage Riot pushing it a bit?

"One mohawk wasn't enough to keep up with how badass he is so he had to get two." - Haunted House, about me, YEAH, ME!

Terror Nuclear,Terror Nuclear
Malice In Wonderland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 04:43 PM   #5
KontanKarite

Laibach.

Amazing but mostly in German and some songs are in English.

Nitzer Ebb also works. That Total Age is a good album.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 09:17 AM   #6
vx cheerleader 69

Atari Teenage Riot for sure !
Insurge, an aussie band, were indeed VERY political
Ministry sure are
on the electronica field : Snog !!!!!!
old-school industrial : SPK
industrial-rap : Consolidated (VERY political), Beatnigs, Disposable Heroes Of Hipoprisy...
vx cheerleader 69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 07:00 PM   #7
Ebbhead

Consolidated are far too preachy, they could almost be a parody of the left-wing views they're (rather cack-handedly) trying to express. Meat Beat Manifesto have a better grip on that whole industrial hip hop thing, and also write better lyrics.
Ebbhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 11:24 PM   #8
vx cheerleader 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebbhead View Post
Consolidated are far too preachy, they could almost be a parody of the left-wing views they're (rather cack-handedly) trying to express. Meat Beat Manifesto have a better grip on that whole industrial hip hop thing, and also write better lyrics.
Oh yeah, Consolidated sure were preachy, but compare them to Atari Teenage Riot, there's a world of difference, I mean, they were really boring at some points but at least there was some kind of thinking behind. Not the mandatory "fuck the system, police bastards, press = ss" thing. But I get your point. I still like "friendly fascism" a lot... Anyway, Meat Beat, yeah. My own preference really goes to The Beatnigs/Disposable Heroes Of Hipoprisy, Michael Franti is a poet even when he writes about Irak.

By the way, I didn't mention Fun-Da-Mental and Asian Dub Foundation, but both areworth checking out.
Old 04-06-2010, 06:46 PM   #9
Doppleganger2

What an incredibly horrible requirement to look for in music!
Doppleganger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 01:17 AM   #10
vx cheerleader 69

it's quite strange to note how right-wing politized bands in industrial music are so fashionable, while being a "red" just get people to laugh at you. With maybe the exception of Snog and Test Dept...
Old 04-07-2010, 03:24 PM   #11
Doppleganger2

Quote:
Originally Posted by vx cheerleader 69 View Post
it's quite strange to note how right-wing politized bands in industrial music are so fashionable, while being a "red" just get people to laugh at you. With maybe the exception of Snog and Test Dept...
Yep. And rightly so! There are only so many songs you can listen to about how cool Che Guevara is before you get permanent brain damage.
Doppleganger2 is offline   Reply With Quote