Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > TV, Movies, & Games

TV, Movies, & Games Talk about your favorite TV shows, movies, games, and other media here. Or don't. We don't want to tell you what to do or anything.

Old 06-17-2011, 05:05 PM   #1
AshleyO

Torchlight

If you're a fan of Blizzard and their Diablo franchise, you'll like Torchlight. The sequel's coming out soon, but so far, this game is pretty faithful to a good ARPG based on looting and leveling.
AshleyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 11:17 PM   #2
Vince

Until recently i played Perfect World International for over a year.When i finally burned out on it i checked out other Perfect World games and saw Torchlight on their site. Also noticed it's a pay to play game so i immediately filed it away in my "I'm A Cheap Bastard And This Game Isn't Free" bin.

After trying out a few MMORPG's in the last few months i'm still looking for something to quench my game thirst.

Even recently re-installed Diablo II: Lord of Destruction.

i didn't realise Torchlight was similar to Diablo. i may have to give it a go. Even though i still have a bad PWE taste in my mouth.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 12:09 AM   #3
CptSternn

There have been reported problems about connectivity due to lack of servers. I have played it single player and co-op local but have yet to play online.

The problem seems to be if your connection drops, it won't let the other person back in your game and you have to restart, which would be quite annoying.
CptSternn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 04:35 PM   #4
AshleyO

Dudes...

Torchlight 1 is NOT pay to play and it doesn't have multiplayer support. I've NEVER seen anyone from the TL communities talking about what Sternn mentioned.

Unless Sternn is a beta tester for TL2.

Torchlight 2 is supposed to have some form of multiplayer support, but wont have dedicated servers.

After TL2, there will be an MMOARPG.
Old 08-17-2011, 05:11 PM   #5
Vince

http://www.torchlightgame.com/
http://torchlight.perfectworld.com/

These are what i found. Says buy now for 14.95 or something. Am i looking at the wrong thing?
Old 08-17-2011, 05:13 PM   #6
AshleyO

Yes. You pay about 15 bucks and then that's it.

It's not a subscription. That's the actual price of the game.

Surprisingly enough, good indy games don't have to cost 50~60 dollars.
Old 08-17-2011, 06:15 PM   #7
Vince

Oh ok i see. i'll have to see about giving it a go.

But in the last year ive really become accustomed to MMORPG's. Specifically games like Perfect World International. So i'm going to get the demo first see how that goes.
Old 08-17-2011, 07:10 PM   #8
AshleyO

It has mod support, BTW.
Old 08-17-2011, 08:09 PM   #9
Vince

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshleyO View Post
If you're a fan of Blizzard and their Diablo franchise, you'll like Torchlight. The sequel's coming out soon, but so far, this game is pretty faithful to a good ARPG based on looting and leveling.
This is a pretty cool game. Very much like Diablo. Hehe, the music reminds me of Diablo.

i'd say its worth spending fifteen bucks on it. How much of that will go to Perfect World though? lol
Old 08-17-2011, 10:57 PM   #10
AshleyO

Not sure. I don't think very much at all.

But regardless, Runic is a decent indy game company. They're doing a fucking awesome job for a team of 30 people or less and TL2 is looking like it's going to blow Diablo 2 out of the water.

Especially with strong mod support and online play with friends.

Also. They're going to expand the universe. You'll find after about 30 hours of TL 1, that the story seems pretty shallow. But they hired a writer for the second installment and there seems to be a pretty big world in development here.

It's worth the buy just for the moddability alone.
Old 08-17-2011, 11:11 PM   #11
Vince

Quote:
They're doing a fucking awesome job for a team of 30 people or less and TL2 is looking like it's going to blow Diablo 2 out of the water.

Especially with strong mod support and online play with friends.

Also. They're going to expand the universe. You'll find after about 30 hours of TL 1, that the story seems pretty shallow. But they hired a writer for the second installment and there seems to be a pretty big world in development here.

It's worth the buy just for the moddability alone.
Yeah i was impressed by the game. Sadly my demo ran out. Now i have to buy it later.

TL2 does sound promising i can't wait to see what they do with it especially its gonna be an MMO (im a bit disappointed that Blizzard devoted so much time on WoW and negated Diablo...how i wish for a Diablo World MMO).
Old 08-17-2011, 11:14 PM   #12
AshleyO

Diablo 3 is going to pretty much be an MMO. Not sure if I fancy their decisions because there's going to be a Real Money Auction house, no stat allocation, and not much options on leveling skills.

It doesn't really look like an ARPG anymore. More like a fusion of ARPG, WoW, and God of War.
Old 08-17-2011, 11:20 PM   #13
Vince

The first time i saw actual game play without reading about the game engine i thought Diablo 3 looked way too much God of War. Don't get me wrong i liked God of War but...this.is.Diablo! lol. meh.

After so long of waiting after delay after delay i've pretty much given up on Diablo 3. If i want a WoW clone i'll go back to Allods Online.

No stat allocation? -_-
Old 08-17-2011, 11:24 PM   #14
AshleyO

Yeah. No stat allocation and next to no skill leveling.

This is what they think will diversify the builds.

Gear finding

Runes that affect your skills in different ways.

Character customization has been reduced effectively to luck of the draw.
Old 08-17-2011, 11:33 PM   #15
Vince

Diversified builds eh? i'm not a pro gamer by any stretch but from my minimal experience it seems there's only going to be one or two builds that's always used no matter how "diverse" the possibilities will be.

Tank, DD, off-tank/DD, and healer.

Such a soulcrushing thread...i'm depressed now.
Old 08-17-2011, 11:50 PM   #16
AshleyO

That's why they did what they did. They knew everyone was going to play a tank, a glass cannon, healer, or mage.

They found that players of D2 used only 1 or 2 skills max when playing and they wanted to make it to where you HAD to use up to at least 6.
Old 08-18-2011, 12:10 AM   #17
Vince

Hmm. i have to admit it does pique my interest a bit. But other games i've played where they had a slight spin on build creations it never really amounted to helluva lot.

Quote:
Real Money Auction house
Another cash-shopper's paradise.
Old 08-18-2011, 01:37 AM   #18
CptSternn

Quote:
Dudes...

Torchlight 1 is NOT pay to play and it doesn't have multiplayer support. I've NEVER seen anyone from the TL communities talking about what Sternn mentioned.

Unless Sternn is a beta tester for TL2.

Torchlight 2 is supposed to have some form of multiplayer support, but wont have dedicated servers.

After TL2, there will be an MMOARPG.
Are you a PC gamer?
CptSternn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 10:34 AM   #19
AshleyO

Yes. I play Torchlight on the PC. IMO, it's really the only reasonable way to play it.
Old 09-15-2011, 09:44 PM   #20
AshleyO

What in the god damned hell is that?

"God always picks the strangest things to get angry about. Get an abortion or gay married and he'll aim a tornado right at you.

Rip off a million poor people and Wall street has no problems. " -Rebecca B