Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > TV, Movies, & Games

TV, Movies, & Games Talk about your favorite TV shows, movies, games, and other media here. Or don't. We don't want to tell you what to do or anything.

Old 08-02-2008, 06:34 AM   #51
Disaffected Shoelaces

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwater1110
The rest of the memorable moments were grabbed up by the Joker, so much so that, despite the I-got-beaten-as-a-child pubescent angsty bullshit, you practically cheered whenever he caused mayhem.
I admit I winced a bit when that came up, but did you notice that he told two stories which didn't match up? One was that his father gave him the scars. The other was something like "my wife was unhappy at being deformed so I did it myself to show her I didn't care, then the bitch left me." I think the point was that neither are true, and he's just an enigma - we'll never know exactly where he got that Chelsea Smile.

I agree about Dent, though. The Two-Face concept was pretty decent, but I would have found it much more believable if he'd adopted the chaos ethos AFTER at least trying to kill the Joker.
Disaffected Shoelaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 06:43 AM   #52
JCC

It's unknown for Dark Knight's Joker how he became the way he is. He adapts his story for each person, the Joker is a showman. His taste for the theatrical is displayed in everything he does, the way that he relays his stories is another one of those things, choosing a scenario that seems more pertinent to the person that he's telling it to. The truth of the story doesn't matter to the Joker, truth doesn't matter to the Joker. What matters to the Joker is the effect that it has.

As for Two-Face, he wanted to kill the Joker. After Rachel died, after the bent cops set her up and nobody was going to do anything about it, Harvey gave up his own system, the judicial system, of justice for chance. Two-Face was a guy that wanted things to be fair, and the only way that he could do it was to choose something completely unbiased. He wanted to kill the Joker, but it didn't matter what Dent wanted. Chance gave the Joker a way out, NOT Dent's will.
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 06:52 AM   #53
Disaffected Shoelaces

I understand that. I just didn't like it. I think the film became too much about Two-Face towards the end, whereas they could have simply showed the beginnings of his transition and left the bulk of his action for the next film (though I guess they probably planned on bringing back the Joker at the time). If he'd tried to kill the Joker, he could still have adopted his whole chaos-is-fair kick later if they'd just taken their time and not rushed into a TwoFace-heavy ending, and I would have found it more believable.

Basically, as I said, I thought the film was a bit too long and that the Dent subplot was the main reason for that.
Disaffected Shoelaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 04:01 PM   #54
YuriBR

I'm going to watch the movie again monday... I had a bad day when I watched it the first time - and even then I liked it. Heath Ledger rules.
YuriBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 04:12 PM   #55
JCC

I've seen the film twice.

... I wanna see it again.
Old 08-02-2008, 04:14 PM   #56
Lapin

The film was awesome, but I've only gotten to see it once because of prices.
Lapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 10:22 AM   #57
LiUsAiDh

I saw it again, just as good. I want to marry the Joker.

One question, when the Joker is arrested, and all they find in his pockets was 'knives and lint'. Why the lint?

Pie Jesu domine..... Donna eis requiem - *thwack*

'To become truly immortal, a work of art must escape all human limits: logic and common sense will only interfere. But once these barriers are broken, it will enter the realms of childhood visions and dreams.' - Giorgio de Chirico
LiUsAiDh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 12:28 PM   #58
PortraitOfSanity

I don't think that was important, just reinforcing the fact that he didn't have anything on him that could be used to identify him.
PortraitOfSanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 02:11 PM   #59
Lapin

Well, if you don't wash your clothes very often...or at all....you tend to have a rather astounding amount of lint in your pockets.
Lapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 03:30 PM   #60
JCC

Yeah, I think it's just a case of making his own clothes and not washing 'em.
Old 08-03-2008, 03:55 PM   #61
honeythorn

I still haven't managed to see this yet
honeythorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 04:24 PM   #62
KontanKarite

I've seen it twice. It continues to be perfectly brilliant. Amazing work. That movie could have been 4 hours long, I would not have complained.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 04:31 PM   #63
sickmotherfucker

The Joker is my idol.
sickmotherfucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 05:08 PM   #64
MollyMac

Gee? Really?
Old 08-03-2008, 08:18 PM   #65
Paigeybobert

I loved Batman Begins when it came out, I'm excited to see The Dark Knight. I have always hated the Tim Burton Batman's and never cared for the older ones.
Paigeybobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 08:33 PM   #66
MollyMac

Really? I actually rather liked Batman Returns. But I think that was more ******** Pfeiffer than anything else. I'd watch her peel potates.

I liked the look of the Burton films even if they were weak overall.
Old 08-03-2008, 08:59 PM   #67
TheBloodEternity

I happened to like the look and feel of the Burton films even though they were borderline awful in the first place, and didn't follow the comics at all.

Dark Knight is the greatest Batman film yet, and I agree with Kontan it could have easily been 4 hours long, honestly I would've liked it better (if possible.)
TheBloodEternity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 09:01 PM   #68
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by MollyMac
Really? I actually rather liked Batman Returns. But I think that was more ******** Pfeiffer than anything else. I'd watch her peel potates.

I liked the look of the Burton films even if they were weak overall.
How dare you! I challenge you to a duel!

Hehe, but as wickedly awesome as the Dark Knight was, there will always be that special place in my heart for Tim Burton's Batman. Keaton I think was the best Batman of all, because normally when I see a Batman film or tv show, I'll watch it for the villains. Batman just seems too mopey and cold and sometimes a jerk. Bale's Batman was ok, but sometimes I either felt he was just laying his agony on a little too thick or I wanted to jump through the screen and slap him for using that stupid voice. Keaton, however, was likable, and knew the best way to disguise your voice is to speak in whispers ^_^. Plus you can't go wrong with Nicholson, Pfieffer and Devito for your baddies, they gave me nightmares when I was a kid! Just the other day I watched Batman Returns for the first time without walking out of the room when the Penguin bites that guys nose. Those two movies remain at the top of my favourites list.

I was no fan of Batman Begins, I must admit, the only thing I liked was Scarecrow (like I said, normally I like Batman for the bad guys). But the Joker in Dark Knight just absolutely blew me away. I was afraid because I never liked a Ledger film before, but the minute he did that disappearing pencil trick, I was in love ^_^. And slightly horrified at myself for laughing as hard as I did at it. My only complaints about Dark Knight was once again Bale doing that voice, Two Face being too brief (but amazing all the same), and sometimes its like the movie is in love with itself, but all that is nitpicking because the Joker was just that good. I hope they follow up with another amazing villain in the next one!
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 09:08 PM   #69
TheBloodEternity

I really hated Nicholson's joker, actually. I was a bigger fan of Batman Returns for Penguin.

I agree Two Face was too brief, it seemed like they added him in as an afterthought. They should've introduced him sooner or as I said made the movie longer.
Old 08-03-2008, 09:15 PM   #70
Saya

Before the movie came out I thought they were going to show him becoming Two Face and leave it open for him to be the main baddy in the next movie, you know? He does deserve his own movie ^_^
Old 08-03-2008, 09:17 PM   #71
TheBloodEternity

Actually, even during the movie I thought it was about to be over and that he'd be the main villain in the next one. A lot of this was wishful thinking because I really had to pee and didn't want to walk away from the movie. I don't even know if they're planning on a third, if they do who do you think the villain will be?
Old 08-03-2008, 09:36 PM   #72
Saya

I know what you mean, I had to pee so bad but I was afraid it was going to pull a Sweeney Todd on me (I missed the ending of Sweeney Todd because the movie seemed so dragged out I thought I had a while before the ending).

Well Nolan is pretending to be coy about a third Batman film, but contracts have been signed for a third movie, there's a few rumours floating around about the Penguin (but I think Nolan said somewhere absolutely no Penguin and no Robin), there was one about Jolie being Catwoman (I want Catwoman but not Jolie) and Johnny Depp for the Riddler. All rumours of course but interesting to think about.

I hope they do the Riddler, revamp him like The Batman cartoon did, and have Catwoman as a secondary villain. No one likes the Riddler because on tv and film he was just a rip off of the Joker, so I want to see someone do the Riddler right. I'd say the Ventriloquist would be freaky but sadly I think he's a little too obscure for him to have any appeal for movie makers. I think they are trying to be realistic so I doubt very much there's going to be another Poison Ivy or Mistah Freeze or any other villain who actually had superpowers. Which is sad because Poison Ivy deserved better than Batman and Robin.

And hoping agaisnt hope I want Harley Quinn ^_^
Old 08-03-2008, 09:42 PM   #73
TheBloodEternity

That sucks. I have yet to see that movie but I'm not too keen on musicals of any sort so I'm not exactly in a rush.

Hmm I don't really like the idea of Johnny Depp being in a batman film, honestly, I like him as an actor but on the same token I'm getting sick of seeing him. The idea of Jolie touching these films makes me gag. I don't like Robin either so that is good.

See the thing is any villain they have is going to have to be pretty damn creepy after Scarecrow and then this Joker, so I'd like the Ventriloquist but you are right on the obscure thing. Yeah, that's true about the realistic thing. Ugh, Batman and Robin was terrible.

Oooh yes. ^_^
Old 08-03-2008, 09:50 PM   #74
Saya

Sweeney was good on the principle of just scaring me. You just sit there, thinking what a dramatic musical and OH DEAR GOD WHY IS JOHNNY DEPP VICIOUSLY MURDERING BORAT?!!!!!! That was my reaction ^_^

But yes, I'd like to see where they are going to go with it. I kinda doubt they'll get Depp but The Riddler anyway I want to see done properly.
Old 08-03-2008, 09:58 PM   #75
TheBloodEternity

Lol, sounds like what my reaction would be. I would never be able to take Sasha whatshisface Cohen seriously, because I recognize him as Borat, which is my beef with Johnny Depp being in the movie. Every time I see him I would think "Johnny Depp" or one of his roles, "Edward Scissorhands" or "Sweeney Todd" instead of seeing him as the Riddler. You catch my drift? Yeah, I doubt they will go in with him, and if they go with the Riddler that will definitely have to be done properly.