Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > TV, Movies, & Games

TV, Movies, & Games Talk about your favorite TV shows, movies, games, and other media here. Or don't. We don't want to tell you what to do or anything.

Old 11-16-2008, 01:49 AM   #1
Sanguine Mind

Disputed Bands

There are bands that are both embraced and rejected by the Goth community, these are the disputed bands, simply give your opinion on them, or add to the list.

list:

Nightwish
Evanescence
Marilyn Manson
Cradle of Filth
Disturbed
Hatebreed
HIM
Slipknot
Nine Inch Nails
Linkin Park
KoRn

That's all I've got for now...
Sanguine Mind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 02:01 AM   #2
Godslayer Jillian

Except for Nine Inch Nails, who have toured with Bauhaus, none of those bands are even remotely 'embraced' by the goth subculture.

You want real 'disputed' bands?
Nosferatu, Tragic Black, and to a certain point Lacrimosa.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 02:10 AM   #3
Sanguine Mind

Fuck, I meant to post this in the music forum...oh well
Old 11-16-2008, 02:17 AM   #4
Sanguine Mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godslayer Jillian
Except for Nine Inch Nails, who have toured with Bauhaus, none of those bands are even remotely 'embraced' by the goth subculture.

You want real 'disputed' bands?
Nosferatu, Tragic Black, and to a certain point Lacrimosa.
You'd be suprised, lot's of the babygoths think those bands are gothic...anything Hot Topic shoves down kids throats these days; they take it.
Old 11-16-2008, 10:48 AM   #5
Eclipsing the Son

Nightwish and Marilyn Manson. Maybe Cradle (listen to midian)

Yes I know neither are goth but they embrace gothic attributes. Manson has recently embraced a more gothic image and sound. Nightwish has that romantic atmosphere to them.

I don't think NIN can very much be embraced just cause he performed with Peter Murphy, who himself does not concider Bauhaus to be goth.

I will add, Skinny Puppy, My Dying Bride and Type O Negative.
Eclipsing the Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 10:58 AM   #6
jack_the_knife

Although CoF have some gothic literature references in their lyrics, I would never consider them goth ( even though I do like them ).
I would add Dimmu Borgir to the list.
jack_the_knife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 11:00 AM   #7
KontanKarite

This thread is going to suck dick. Why? Because there's apparently going to be a lot of people who's going to try to justify their own favorite artists as at least marginally goth and those that know better wont give a shit and those that don't will only hope to fit in.

So far, I see no dispute of said mentioned bands. They're not goth rock. Pretty simple, really.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 11:09 AM   #8
Eclipsing the Son

I think it will suck more because gother than thou individuals will try to tell everybody what isn't goth.
Old 11-16-2008, 11:12 AM   #9
Albert Mond

The Birthday Party.
Albert Mond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 11:15 AM   #10
KontanKarite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipsing the Son
I think it will suck more because gother than thou individuals will try to tell everybody what isn't goth.

You're right in every way on this one. Usually because the gother than thou individuals ARE also the ones that know better and those that don't know better usually end up hoping they at least miss the mark by a couple of feet instead of a few miles. Sadly, this isn't the case. I mean, we're saying that Manson and Nightwish are disputable goth rock? You know, I could understand Depeche Mode or The Smiths to be more mistaken in genre, but those two aforementioned acts? Sheesh.

Old 11-16-2008, 11:39 AM   #11
Eclipsing the Son

You keep putting 'rock' at the end of that. Rock had nothing to do with the topic.

So much for knowing better. You're on a completely different subject.
Old 11-16-2008, 12:13 PM   #12
KontanKarite

Quote:
You keep putting 'rock' at the end of that. Rock had nothing to do with the topic.

So much for knowing better. You're on a completely different subject.

...What the fuck are you talking about? Obviously this is a thread disputing if mentioned bands are goth or accepted by the goth community.

Well damn. Allow me to clarify this so no one is confused. From my experiences going to the various goth clubs in different cities, I have never ONCE heard any of these bands played or even mentioned in casual conversation amongst the patrons of those clubs.

You want to talk about Goths disputing the validity of these mentioned bands? Well what kind of goth are we talking about? The goth that KNOWS what goth music is or the spooky kid babybat that likes to try to validate their existence with a power word such as goth because it somehow makes them special.

There's not even a dispute here in the least. There are those that know what goth music is those that don't.

The best anyone can come up with on the case that these bands are in the least bit Gothic is if they ever write lyrics that resemble the styles of Gothic literature. Even when that's brought up, we're still stuck knowing that Gothic literature styled lyrics does not make a goth community consider these groups to be a part of the pantheon of goth music/Rock.

So no, sorry, any goth venue worth its salt is not going to play goth "metal" or goth "rap". They're going to play Goth Rock. But if they're REALLY good, they'll throw in some Post Punk and Deathrock, maybe even some 80s Industrial.

Old 11-16-2008, 01:07 PM   #13
Eclipsing the Son

Typical elitist nonsense. It's this kind of self diluted dribble that sets you in the same box with other stagnant and boring people who fear change and are unwilling to grow in any aspect of their own personal interests. You tear down somebody else's completely valid logic that gothic qualities equal gothic appeal with your vapid claims that what you first heard to be gothic music must be continuously regurgitated and indulged upon or it can no longer fit the bill.

Well go ahead and keep 'goth' safe for yourself then. Let it be your comfort blanket and don't share it with anybody that doesn't play a slow, distorted 4/4 beat and croon like Morrisey.

And if my definition of what you, oh enlightened one, know goth to be; Please correct me. You can't though. Go ahead and give us your "Its just something you get or something you don't" bullshit.

"Oh I go to the goth club so I can be my true self around people who 'get it'." Grow a brain. That's some of the most juvenile self diluted garbage I've ever heard.
Old 11-16-2008, 01:15 PM   #14
a morbid curiosity

Eclipsing The Son, it's got nothing to do with 'fearing change' or any of that bullshit. Goth rock isn't subjective. The listed bands have genres of their own- for instance a fair few are metal.

It's like describing Avril Lavigne as 'hardcore punk'. It isn't a matter of opinion, it's just wrong.
a morbid curiosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 01:16 PM   #15
KontanKarite

It's not like I'm trying to be an elitist.

What I'm getting at, comrade, is if someone is playing a country song, there's no way it can be metal.

You can't call the color green, orange.

Goth music, or better yet, Goth Rock, since that is what I'm talking about is fairly definable as a genre of music. Usually, it's heavily introverted lyrics, jangly guitars, tribal-like drums, with a heavy emphasis on bass guitar. Usually, an atmospheric synth will be played along with the music.

I'm not trying to safeguard the word goth. But what I would like to know is why you want to use goth to empower or label your dark aesthetic.

Old 11-16-2008, 01:21 PM   #16
Solumina

Quote:
Typical elitist nonsense. It's this kind of self diluted dribble that sets you in the same box with other stagnant and boring people who fear change and are unwilling to grow in any aspect of their own personal interests. You tear down somebody else's completely valid logic that gothic qualities equal gothic appeal with your vapid claims that what you first heard to be gothic music must be continuously regurgitated and indulged upon or it can no longer fit the bill.

Well go ahead and keep 'goth' safe for yourself then. Let it be your comfort blanket and don't share it with anybody that doesn't play a slow, distorted 4/4 beat and croon like Morrisey.

And if my definition of what you, oh enlightened one, know goth to be; Please correct me. You can't though. Go ahead and give us your "Its just something you get or something you don't" bullshit.

"Oh I go to the goth club so I can be my true self around people who 'get it'." Grow a brain. That's some of the most juvenile self diluted garbage I've ever heard.
He never said that it is just something that you "get" he said that there are those who know what classifies and those that don't. Those who are more knowledgeable about music are the ones who are more likely to know what classifies, whether or not they are a part of the subculture, it isn't a hard concept to grasp.

As for the actual topic I agree about Skinny Puppy, they really are more industrial or whatever but they are kind of borderline.

If I were just trying to make myself feel more secure in my gothness then I would throw in Queen as well because Queen is my all time favorite band, but lets face it no lead singer of a gothic band would ever wear a purple, sequined, lycra unitard.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 01:23 PM   #17
Eclipsing the Son

RE: KontanKarite

We aren't talking about goth rock though. If you do research plenty of the bands I've listed can be noted for their gothic qualities. Be they use of poetic lyrics or instrumentation through use of keyboards or organ to give the effect of gothic atmosphere. Again I will suggest you drop the rock subject as the subject of the thread is simply goth aesthetic used well by mentioned bands, perhaps leading to their enjoyment by people of goth culture and not whether they are goth rock or if they get played in your goth clubs.

Until you can grasp onto the subject I'm done wasting time on such close minded mentalities as yours.
Old 11-16-2008, 01:29 PM   #18
JCC

Gothic and Goth are not the same thing.

Goth is a very rigid subculture stuck in permanent 1980s.

Gothic is a quality that something can possess, being dark or foreboding etc. etc.

While some Goth things may also be Gothic, Gothic things aren't necessarily Goth.
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 01:34 PM   #19
Eclipsing the Son

You just made that up.

The suffix of 'ic' in the word gothic means something that is of or pertaining to goth.
Old 11-16-2008, 01:43 PM   #20
Godslayer Jillian

Quote:
We aren't talking about goth rock though. If you do research plenty of the bands I've listed can be noted for their gothic qualities
And we're not talking about 'gothic qualities'
We're talking about bands sort of accepted by the goth community, which is about gothic rock and deathrock and that stuff. That's what it said in the first post.
That's why bands like Depeche Mode ought to be named and not things like Nightwish.
If this were about painting and literature, it wouldn't make much sense in mentioning To Kill A Mockingbird and American Gothic.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 01:47 PM   #21
JCC

Quote:
You just made that up.

The suffix of 'ic' in the word gothic means something that is of or pertaining to goth.
Bollocks! You trumped me with the 'Gothic architecture and use of the word 'Gothic' came after the Goth movement of the 1980s' argument!
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 01:48 PM   #22
Albert Mond

What about 16 Horsepower?
Albert Mond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 01:52 PM   #23
Eclipsing the Son

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCC
Bollocks! You trumped me with the 'Gothic architecture and use of the word 'Gothic' came after the Goth movement of the 1980s' argument!
Fighting fire with fire, baby.
Old 11-16-2008, 01:52 PM   #24
Tralis

Going down the list by Genre:

Nu-metal:
Linkin Park
KoRn
Slipknot
Disturbed

Alternative:
HIM
Evanescence

Industrial Pop / Industrial Rock:
Marilyn Manson
Nine Inch Nails

Other:
Cradle of Filth (Extreme Metal)
Nightwish (Power Metal / Symphonic Metal)
Hatebreed (Hardcore Punk)

None of them are gothic.
Industrial culture can be a sister culture to gothic culture as I understand it, but Manson's even rejected by that community because in my opinion he's has next to no talent and has made a career out of being shocking. Manson has a few of the musical threads of being industrial but none, none of the artistic.
NIN is a little more apropriate to call industrial, but in a very mainstream way. I'd say comparing NIN to Ministry or Throbbing Gristle is like comparing The Ramones to a Hardcore band.
Tralis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 01:54 PM   #25
Eclipsing the Son

There are just as many people who will argue that NIN is not industrial as there are that will argue that NIN is not goth.