Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 04-03-2008, 06:30 AM   #76
industrialgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorschach Twin
Living in an area where communism is completely hated (America.. and the South, specifically), I have no idea what China is really like, so I must ask. Is it really that bad? I mean, I'm aware they have a lot of censorship (just take how they censored everything about the whole issue in Tibet..
I dunno. I don't think it's as bad as you might think it is. If you want to find a way around things you can. I get pirated satallite TV and was still able to hear what is going on with Tibet. Although I know in the local news they portray the whole thing as their fault. But then again, the only reason I know about that is cause I watch CNN in the mornings cause I don't work and nothing else is on TV. Even if I still lived in Seattle...I don't know if I would have even heard about what was going on cause I didn't usually watch the news.

I know that online they tend to block blogging sites (Live Journal is blocked for me) but I have found ways around the firewall here, and can get to all the sites I want anyway. I think things are getting better there as far as opening up. I am sure it's not nearly as bad as it was 10 years ago. I do get stared at everywhere i go...but I think it's my dyed green hair and facial piercings that does it. As far as alternative things go...it's all still REALLY new. Hardly anyone over here has piercings, tattoos, or strange colored hair. But I bet I would probably get the same reaction in some parts of the US. I do miss not having a scene, but slowely I am running into more people that are into the same things as I am...and who knows? Maybe we can start our own thing.

Clubbing is HUGE in Shanghai. There are a TON of clubs here that put many clubs in the US to shame. But they are all "normal" clubs that play hip hop or techno music. And when people go out it's more to be SEEN then to actually go have a good time. (at least that is what it seems like to me). Most clubs have a tiny postage stamp sized dancefloor, and then a TON of private tables that you have to spend a certian amount of money to sit at. Usually there is no normal seating, so if you aren't into spending big bucks, then you have to stand. It's REALLY frustrating. But since Chinese have been so poor for so long, they tend to like to flaunt if they have $$. I personally just want to go out and have a good time.

OMG, I think I rambled on enough...lol. So to sum it all up. Yes, it sucks...but it's getting better.
industrialgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 12:39 AM   #77
MadameDeces

Hello, i am from Mexico and currrently i am living in China, im working here in many different cities, now im in Quanzhou and im going to Dalian, is there any pub or anything in China that i can go to?
I am very sad and desperate, i bring my own music but id like to hang out with ppl also!
MadameDeces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 07:23 AM   #78
trish4ic

Red face hk..hmm

My family and I come ta HK almost every end of the year to visit fam and other boring things families do on holidays, and being 'presented' to other relatives, they tttttrrrrrrrrrryyyyyyyyyyy to make me where stuff THEY approve of. Bloody hilarious how they TRY to make me, but nah :P.
I don't really get the glaring or the cussin' - mainly cos i don't hang around to hear it (*or i'll start a bloody fight - >_< ...yeah rite), but i enjoy gettin given the wide berth of avoidance when i walk down the street, get that occasionally. ^_^i was quick to brush it off, don't care, its me where talkin bout.
anyone know where to go in HK away from the j-pop, pop/hiphop, 'intensely glaring' people that seem to infest the streets like a plague? - sos bout the thearectics, got shoved into the gutter on the street - not very happy at the moment -_-. I need something else then going to play basketball to vent fustration and boredom outa my system. also, any genuine goth shops out here? i'll even settle for shibuya - some of the stuffs pretty kwool, highly doubt gallery serpentine gonna pop up here - knock me out if they do :P
trish4ic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 05:14 PM   #79
twistedsyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immortal_Death
i currently live in china, i was from the states. people at school and around me whereever i go keeps looking at me like im a freak. people tease me because the music i listen to and the way i dress, i know there is a topic about this but most people in asia like pop. guys and girls where hip hop clothings but they listen to pop....i guess hip hop culture it alot more popular than goth/emo/punk culture.......

Yea my Ex just got back from China, and she doesnt look freaky at all expect for her dyed red hair and they just stared at her a lot. No goths or clubs at all from what she could see.

Id love to go to Japan though.
twistedsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 03:34 PM   #80
GOTHIC**FUSION

Cool

Look. I'm 11 and going through a stage in my life where I wonna be a goth. Me and my two friends out of the bunch of friends I have share this feeling and now were both goths If people feel the need to say stuff to you, why ignore that? I certainly wouldn't. I would tell them straight. "Shut the fuck up and look in the mirror, you've got a problem with the way I dress? You need to look in the mirror love, because your clothes look like there from the charity shop, at least MY clothes were above 5 dollars!" You know, this boy in my school said to me as we were arguing; "Shut up goth girl" And I repied: "Was that supposed to offend me? Because it really didn't" Don't let people take the piss. Don't just walk away when they cuss your clothes but don't look at their own handmedowns!
Thank-you for reading.
GOTHIC**FUSION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 04:53 PM   #81
Raza

Paying a lot for your clothes isn't something to be proud of, y'know. The coolest goth stuff is often homemade out of trash and thrift. You can't buy originality.

That said, good on you for going goth! Normal people do look horribly boring, but you get tired of trying to explain that to them after a while; there's just too many of them to make a difference.

And it's all a matter of taste anyway. Bad taste in their case, true enough, but taste nonetheless. =)
Raza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 06:52 PM   #82
Tam Li Hua

Why are people making their first posts on the board on a dead thread over 2 years old...?
Old 04-08-2010, 09:43 PM   #83
Altemese

^ agreed. 11 years old? that is young, but way to go standing up for ur self. but it does not matter where u get ur "goth" clothes from or how much they cost. no one really pays attention to that here.
Altemese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 09:52 PM   #84
Luv2H8

^ You don't get it, do you?
Old 04-09-2010, 04:10 AM   #85
Raza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tam Li Hua View Post
Why are people making their first posts on the board on a dead thread over 2 years old...?
A bit less than two years. And presumably they just went browsing the forum until they ran into something they wanted to respond to. Every thread is new on your first visit, and the little numbers somewhere in the frame signifying the post date aren't anywhere near as interesting as the content.

I wouldn't sweat the netiquette too much. Especially since so many of the big, active threads here have also been ongoing for a very long time. It can be off-putting for a new member to read a lot of stuff and get absorbed in the subject only to find out it's 'inappropriate' to respond to because everyone else read it a long time ago.
Raza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 05:29 AM   #86
Tam Li Hua

^ If that were even remotely true, then wouldn't they have found the intro thread and posted there first..?
Old 03-05-2013, 03:23 AM   #87
XPhilth23X

Visiting Guangzhou and Beijing in June

Hello, I am traveling to China in June 2013 for a Conceptual Photography Exhibition in Guangzhou. I would like to meet up with others who are interested in Art/Goth/Punk/Noise/ etc. Is there anyone in Beijing or Guangzhou who might want to spend a day with me or go to a club or show? I'm particularly interested in meeting Chinese Goth Women or American Goth Expats. Please let me know. We will have fun!
-Philip
XPhilth23X is offline   Reply With Quote