Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 07-17-2008, 08:09 PM   #51
Breathless Horror

Wingweaver, the sad thing you don't realize is that Kontan IS TRYING TO HELP YOU. noone will respect you if you constantly look to others for validation.

A prank a day keeps the dog leash away - Jello Biafra

I want your skulls! I NEED your skulls! - Misfits
Breathless Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 08:20 PM   #52
NightmareInShiningArmour

Don't expect respect when you ask someone how to look. People can't tell you how to be individual, it's up to you. Just find a haircut that you think is suitable for yourself. My advice is grow your hair longer and then once you've got some decent length get it cut how YOU (no one else, YOU) like it. Length = options. It can always be cut shorter. Asking for ideas is okay, such as asking "do you reckon i should put studs on my new denim jacket or spikes? any ideas?" etc.

God I suck at giving examples. lol
NightmareInShiningArmour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 12:53 AM   #53
Wingweaver_The_Vampire

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightmareInShiningArmour
Were you being serious about copying Disturbed, Manson, Ville Vallo etc?
nvm, dumb question, probably not.
Problem is that there are so many hairstyles that people do it's hard to be original without being majorly extreme. I mean, when he asks for ones I think he's meaning for ideas. I mean, if I started a thread like this... wait I did.. but still. I was expecting ideas for a hairstyle, you know bits from here and there.
He MAY have been meaning that, he MAY not.
Thats my theory. I'm still trying to think of one though haha.
Actually, yes that was what i meant... gosh i just wanted some ideas
Wingweaver_The_Vampire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 08:35 AM   #54
NightmareInShiningArmour

Are you just saying that so you don't get flamed? Sorry, it's just a possibility.
Anyway, next time actually say you're asking for ideas, not just saying straight out "What is a Goth hairstyle I should have".
Old 07-18-2008, 09:11 AM   #55
KontanKarite

You know, girl's haircuts CAN look good on guys. I had one myself a couple of times. Very nice.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 09:21 AM   #56
thekorupt

Ok... kid, listen... you are about 5 minutes old. aka. "13 year old trying to fit in SOMEWHERE". You don't know what you want, what you are, or what you will be NEXT MONTH when the fad has changed. Thats fine. Its completely ok. Thats why your 13. Shit.. I just looked at your birthdate. Your TWELVE. You don't even get to be brooding, moody, and angsty yet. You have to wait until puberty. Sorry.

Here are some hints though...
First off... realize that saying "I wanna be goth" here is like painting a bullseye on your forehead and writing "please hurt me" in the middle. You are talking to a group of people that is an actual subculture, not a fashion statement. We all have taken scrutiny because we rejected a concept of conformity to pop ideals and labels. So. Saying "I wanna be goth" is almost insulting.
Secondly... If you wanna stay, get your feelings in check. Sarcasm is just another service we offer. If you get your little ass all wound up every time someone tells you where to shove your gawfiness, you are gonna have a tough time.
Thirdly... about your hair. I sorta understand because I often have a hard time picking out hairstyles. Listen to me here... DO NOT GO EXTREME. You will regret it, I promise. Once you are older and actualy KNOW what you want, feel free to do whatever, but the given nature of people your age is to flitter from one fad to the next as often as you change underwear.
So. Look at some styles. Look at certain elements you like and dont like. Then, do to a stylist you trust, and say I like this this and this, and ask them what would lend itselfbest to your texture, your age (like it or no, thats a factor. get used to it.) and the fact that you WILL NOT keep up doing alot of shit to your head to make it look half decent every single day. Stylists can help you get something that looks right. But don't go in with an "i dont know". They will hate you too. At least have a few ideas, even if general, that you want... IE. how long are you willing to deal with? Color? bangs? ect ect..
Last but not least... take all that vampire-angel wing demon horn-cliche-just got done blade trinity bullshit off your profine if you don't wanna get flamed. It makes you look like.... omg.... a 12 year old trying desperately to be gothy!

Oh.. and nightmareinshiningarmour.... why do you apologize at least once in EVERY post?

This has been a public service announcement from people trying to save gawf-wannabes from themselves.

That's is all.
thekorupt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 09:40 AM   #57
Wingweaver_The_Vampire

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekorupt
Ok... kid, listen... you are about 5 minutes old. aka. "13 year old trying to fit in SOMEWHERE". You don't know what you want, what you are, or what you will be NEXT MONTH when the fad has changed. Thats fine. Its completely ok. Thats why your 13. Shit.. I just looked at your birthdate. Your TWELVE. You don't even get to be brooding, moody, and angsty yet. You have to wait until puberty. Sorry.

Here are some hints though...
First off... realize that saying "I wanna be goth" here is like painting a bullseye on your forehead and writing "please hurt me" in the middle. You are talking to a group of people that is an actual subculture, not a fashion statement. We all have taken scrutiny because we rejected a concept of conformity to pop ideals and labels. So. Saying "I wanna be goth" is almost insulting.
Secondly... If you wanna stay, get your feelings in check. Sarcasm is just another service we offer. If you get your little ass all wound up every time someone tells you where to shove your gawfiness, you are gonna have a tough time.
Thirdly... about your hair. I sorta understand because I often have a hard time picking out hairstyles. Listen to me here... DO NOT GO EXTREME. You will regret it, I promise. Once you are older and actualy KNOW what you want, feel free to do whatever, but the given nature of people your age is to flitter from one fad to the next as often as you change underwear.
So. Look at some styles. Look at certain elements you like and dont like. Then, do to a stylist you trust, and say I like this this and this, and ask them what would lend itselfbest to your texture, your age (like it or no, thats a factor. get used to it.) and the fact that you WILL NOT keep up doing alot of shit to your head to make it look half decent every single day. Stylists can help you get something that looks right. But don't go in with an "i dont know". They will hate you too. At least have a few ideas, even if general, that you want... IE. how long are you willing to deal with? Color? bangs? ect ect..
Last but not least... take all that vampire-angel wing demon horn-cliche-just got done blade trinity bullshit off your profine if you don't wanna get flamed. It makes you look like.... omg.... a 12 year old trying desperately to be gothy!

Oh.. and nightmareinshiningarmour.... why do you apologize at least once in EVERY post?

This has been a public service announcement from people trying to save gawf-wannabes from themselves.

That's is all.
I reached puberty (some reach puberty in this age), i'm not going extreme, and i'm not saying "i wanna be a goth" cz im already one, and i know its a subculture, but fashion follows too... plus i repeat, i wanted some ideas, and dont judge a person by his age, again.
Old 07-18-2008, 09:44 AM   #58
Wingweaver_The_Vampire

Red face

Quote:
Are you just saying that so you don't get flamed? Sorry, it's just a possibility.
Anyway, next time actually say you're asking for ideas, not just saying straight out "What is a Goth hairstyle I should have".
No really, that's wat i meant... and i dont care if i get flamed on the internet, cz 1st misunderstanding happens, 2nd english is not my first language and i can sometimes write things in the wrong way (and they misunderstand me), 3rd those who flame me MIGHT be stupid (but now on this thread they aren't)
Old 07-18-2008, 09:50 AM   #59
KontanKarite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingweaver_The_Vampire
I reached puberty (some reach puberty in this age), i'm not going extreme, and i'm not saying "i wanna be a goth" cz im already one, and i know its a subculture, but fashion follows too... plus i repeat, i wanted some ideas, and dont judge a person by his age, again.

Just so you wont be a complete fucking liar about being a goth, go listen to Bauhaus and Sex Gang Children.

Unless you actually have an honest to god older goth friend or relative, I find it very difficult to believe that a 12 year old would have any idea what goth is.

I'm willing to bet you imagine goth to be something as silly as Cannibal Corpse and Nightwish.

Honestly, if you're so "goth", then name me ONE post-punk band with a dark aesthetic. Of course you know, I'll probably just assume you used those two brain cells in your skull to actually SEARCH for goth bands before you spout your dumb shit around here.

Shit. I'm wearing cream levi jeans, and no shirt and I'm more goth than you'll ever be in one of your blackest of black clad days.

You're not a goth, you're damned spooky kid. Get over yourself.

Old 07-18-2008, 09:51 AM   #60
thekorupt

Kid...seriously. Study subcultures. Understand the movement. and saying you already are something is kinda the opposite of counter culture
Old 07-18-2008, 09:53 AM   #61
Wingweaver_The_Vampire

Quote:
Originally Posted by KontanKarite
You know, girl's haircuts CAN look good on guys. I had one myself a couple of times. Very nice.
I know that... BUT in my country, goths aren't so common, and if i do a girls haircut, they'll go laughing at me wherever i go and think i'm gay i know, it's so bugging. good thing we're going to Australia next year.
Old 07-18-2008, 10:01 AM   #62
MitsyMayhem

This is sort of painful to read...
MitsyMayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 10:14 AM   #63
KontanKarite

*sigh*

Okay. This kid is just... pitiful. It sucks because they seem genuinely interested in learning about something they're not a part of, but think they are just cause they say so.

If this kid's a goth, I'm a Hell's Angel.

Old 07-18-2008, 11:07 AM   #64
NightmareInShiningArmour

To thekorupt:
Sorry for apologizing... Just kidding.
I'm an apologetic person, a lot of my life I've always found I've always got one thing wrong. It kinda sucks, it's just a habit.

To KontanKarite:
Really? You're a Hell's Angel? Ever killed anyone?
I'm so funny. *sarcasm*
Old 07-18-2008, 11:56 AM   #65
thekorupt

To nightmare:
oh geez.. your like 5 minutes older than boy wonder wingweaver...lol
Well... at least your likable and willing to learn. I like that. My advice though, sweetie, be more secure in yourself. You don't ALWAYS screw up. Don't forget, superlatives don't exist. Always, never... these words just don't work in real life. You will never always have something wrong. Its statistically impossible. (there is irony in that statement..) But listen.. just be more secure in who YOU are. Don't assume you are at fault or wrong. ok? :-)

To KontanKarite:
Hell's Angels are sexxxy :-P
But really... cream levi's? Ouch man, ouch...

And last but not least, Boy Wonder Wingweaver:
From now on, I shall call you boy wonder.
You know... you COULD have taken the advice from someone who has lived this lifestyle longer than *gasp* you existed... It actually was meant as advice, grasshopper. I am not trying to be mean to you or bully you... but darling you need some serious mentoring to be "goth".. You aren't there. You aren't close. It isnt about the fashion.. just listen to people trying to give you a clue. It isn't personal. I promise, I am an asshole all the time, not just to you. So accept this moment of kindness and compassion on my part and try to learn, young padewan.

So my new advice tip for you... quit being so damned cocky. Learn. Send some cockiness to Nightmare. He needs it. You need some humility.

Now, wee one, shall you learn and let the gothic.net community teach you, or shall you be a stubborn dumbass poseur that people like me pour drinks on and make their eyeliner run?
Old 07-18-2008, 01:41 PM   #66
Breathless Horror

Quote:
I know that... BUT in my country, goths aren't so common, and if i do a girls haircut, they'll go laughing at me wherever i go and think i'm gay i know, it's so bugging. good thing we're going to Australia next year.
Kid, if you're worried about people will say about you, then goth is really not for you. People will despise you simply for how you dress. Fuck what other people say about you! If they can't like or love you for the person that you are, they aren't worth acknowledging.

It is also my unfortunate duty to inform you that how you dress is the LEAST important part of goth. Music first, rejection of conformity and mainstream values/expectations second, fashion dead last.

A prank a day keeps the dog leash away - Jello Biafra

I want your skulls! I NEED your skulls! - Misfits
Breathless Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 03:59 PM   #67
Solumina

Quote:
plz tell me if the haircut on my sim is gothic
If you like it then get it
Quote:
i'm not saying "i wanna be a goth" cz im already one
Yeah you kind of scream "I wanna be goffic" and sorry but you could pass for a baby bat, that's it.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 10:34 PM   #68
Wingweaver_The_Vampire

Humiliation is never a way to learn... you did that to me in front of a lot of users here, while there are hundreds of posts asking for ideas just like me or even somethings u'll call more stupid than mine. why haven't u humiliated them? Isn't the Fashion Board for getting ideas and stuff?!!!! :@ If all the ppl on gothic net are humiliating like u, forget learning! now all are gonna run around saying kid kid kid kid... well, 13 isn't just kid, there's something called teen.. and don't forget, dont measure a person by his age, don't judge me by my age... in chance, u may be humiliating someone smarter than u are.
Old 07-18-2008, 10:53 PM   #69
Sir Canvas Corpsey

Quote:
Humiliation is never a way to learn... you did that to me in front of a lot of users here, while there are hundreds of posts asking for ideas just like me or even somethings u'll call more stupid than mine. why haven't u humiliated them? Isn't the Fashion Board for getting ideas and stuff?!!!! :@ If all the ppl on gothic net are humiliating like u, forget learning! now all are gonna run around saying kid kid kid kid... well, 13 isn't just kid, there's something called teen.. and don't forget, dont measure a person by his age, don't judge me by my age... in chance, u may be humiliating someone smarter than u are.
With spelling like that I'm guessing you're not smarter.

English not being your first language is not an excuse for 'U', it is 'you' and one of the most basic English words, put the effort in or don't expect to see any results.

Who cares if people think you are or might be gay? It's not like it's a bad thing and you're so young, I thought I liked girls at your age... not so much the case anymore.

Australia is probably better than wherever you are but don't think we're some sort of wonder county, there are ass holes no matter where you go in the world.

If you want to look good right now, don't go to any extreme as others have said. If you're that desperate to be so damned goff at your age then just wear all black, you'll get enough judging and jeering for that but don't think that is actually goth, as others have stated, it's in the music.

Wear what comes naturally not what helps get you a label you want, same applies to music and hair.

/endSirCC'sadvicecolumnofmagicundwonder
Sir Canvas Corpsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 11:04 PM   #70
Wingweaver_The_Vampire

its you not u of course... its called internet chat... Well, at least theres someone who ain't humiliating. (you)
Old 07-18-2008, 11:09 PM   #71
Sir Canvas Corpsey

I'm just pointing out that people will probably take you more seriously on here if you speak full English rather than netspeak/chat talk.
Sir Canvas Corpsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 12:16 AM   #72
Solumina

Quote:
Humiliation is never a way to learn.
Actually it is a very strong learning tool, especially for children, including young teens (not calling you a child, or saying anything about you, but from a clinical standpoint people in that age group tend to be grouped with children rather than teens).

We aren't trying to mock you, think of it more as tough love. That and you really have to think of this from the perspective of other board members. This started out at a literary board and it has always been stated that netspeak/1337 will get you flamed, if you had read the newbie stickie or the faq then you would know this. Not to mention the fact that every few days we get another spooky kid either wanting to be told how to be sooper goffic, or trying to tell us how they are totally uber goffic and we should all bow down before their great goffness. We send a bit of fire their way and a good lot of them learn from it and become more aware of the actual subculture and see how off their views of it are.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 02:17 AM   #73
NightmareInShiningArmour

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekorupt
To nightmare:
oh geez.. your like 5 minutes older than boy wonder wingweaver...lol
Well... at least your likable and willing to learn. I like that. My advice though, sweetie, be more secure in yourself. You don't ALWAYS screw up. Don't forget, superlatives don't exist. Always, never... these words just don't work in real life. You will never always have something wrong. Its statistically impossible. (there is irony in that statement..) But listen.. just be more secure in who YOU are. Don't assume you are at fault or wrong. ok? :-)
Thanks That makes me feel better about myself. I'll try from now on. It's hard to feel like I'm not screwing up because there are only about 5 people who don't make me feel like I've fucked my life up going Goth. I know I haven't but it sorta screws your head when you're told that everyday, by everyone. Most people are constantly telling me that I have done something wrong, all yesterday I did about one thing "right".
I'll try and get some cockiness :P haha.

And to Wingweaver (aka Grasshopper, Wonder Boy etc) you should learn to write in plain english, it shouldn't be as hard to do that as to speak it. I struggle to read your posts sometimes because it takes longer to register "u" as "you" instead of "you" as "you" etc. Makes me feel kinda dumb haha.
By the way, where are you moving to in Australia? I'd be interested to know.
Old 07-19-2008, 04:58 AM   #74
Wingweaver_The_Vampire

Quote:

And to Wingweaver (aka Grasshopper, Wonder Boy etc) you should learn to write in plain english, it shouldn't be as hard to do that as to speak it. I struggle to read your posts sometimes because it takes longer to register "u" as "you" instead of "you" as "you" etc. Makes me feel kinda dumb haha.
By the way, where are you moving to in Australia? I'd be interested to know.
Actually i don't know... my grandmother is Australian and it's time we get the australian passport... so we're going to live their for 2 years, and if we liked Australia we'll stay forever... We don't know the details of where we're going to live precisely.
Old 07-19-2008, 08:18 AM   #75
NightmareInShiningArmour

What state?
God I'm bored.